IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:23 PM   #641
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Anyone from England know where mstricky can go for help?

Ward
I have already provided a local link to a spiritualist church.

For conventional medical help she must go to her GP and tell them she is having sucidal thoughts. They will then refer her to a psychiatrists clinic.
Referal could take several weeks, but if she tells them she is seriously suicidal she may be taken straight into a mental hospital.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 12:24 PM   #642
ComfySlippers
Banned

Scorpion's Spiritualism

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Anyone from England know where mstricky can go for help?

I would suggest that you absolutely tell your daughters. It sounds like they know something's up, but don't keep them guessing. You should let them know exactly what's going on.

Ward

Manchester is a big place, but her GP should be the first call.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Suicide...ting-help.aspx

Last edited by ComfySlippers; 10th May 2014 at 12:26 PM.
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 12:27 PM   #643
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post

You do not even know what mstricky's claim to suicidal behavior is based upon.
Perhaps you should inquire with her first before you offer BS.
It makes no difference what her feelings are based on, she has beliefs and they can be a source of strength.

I do not consider spiritual beliefs to be BS.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 12:28 PM   #644
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have already provided a local link to a spiritualist church.
Counter productive advice.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:30 PM   #645
Scorpion
Master Poster

Counter productive advice.
I had healing that I could actually feel in the 1970's, and it helped me a great deal.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 12:31 PM   #646
ComfySlippers
Banned

It makes no difference what her feelings are based on, she has beliefs and they can be a source of strength.

I do not consider spiritual beliefs to be BS.

Your silly beliefs are only important in that you are giving dangerous advice.
You shouldn't be doing that.
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 12:33 PM   #647
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Sure, the source of her claim for suicidal behavior does not matter, irrational behavior, that's the most important thing

I do not consider spiritual irrational beliefs to be BS.
Fixed to comply with reality by Daylightstar
Of course you don't. That's why irrational beliefs can be so persistent.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:36 PM   #648
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ComfySlippers View Post
Your silly beliefs are only important in that you are giving dangerous advice.
You shouldn't be doing that.
Have you ever been to a spiritualist church? because that is what I am advising. Going to church and getting spiritual healing. How exactly is that dangerous?
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 12:36 PM   #649
Daylightstar
Philosopher

I had healing that I could actually feel in the 1970's, and it helped me a great deal.
No prior plausibility and on top of that, unverifiable.

Synonymous with the term "hot air".
Old 10th May 2014, 12:43 PM   #650
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Have you ever been to a spiritualist church? because that is what I am advising. Going to church and getting spiritual healing. How exactly is that dangerous?
You do not know the circumstances of the claim for suicidal behavior by mstricky.
You're acting like a psych-quack.

Last edited by Daylightstar; 10th May 2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: psycho - o to cover psychiatry quackery as well
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 12:45 PM   #651
ComfySlippers
Banned

Because it's rubbish and dangerous.
Blindingly obvious to me. I'm surprised your third eye doesn't let you see that.

You have demonstrated repeatedly that your irrational beliefs make you the very last person who someone with suicidal tendencies should take advice from.

The link you offered to the pretend church is of no use whatsoever.
I'd ask how you know that it's location, in Stockport I believe, is even near to MSs location.
As I stated, Manchester is a big place.

Ironically, or in your terms prophetic, when MS stated her location I was booking a flight from Glasgow int to Manchester int. which I'm sure you are aware is in Stockport.

I'll be listening to records next. The big ones not the small ones of course.

Ms please check the NHS link I gave, it contains phone numbers of organisations who don't practice nonsense.
The Samaritans would be a good one.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:50 PM   #652
Scorpion
Master Poster

You do not know the circumstances of the claim for suicidal behavior by mstricky.
You're acting like a psycho-quack.
What difference does the reason make, it is my belief and experience that having healing would help. It would lift her above her own negative state of mind. Healing cleanses the aura and charges it up with positive energy.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 12:51 PM   #653
Daylightstar
Philosopher

What difference does the reason make, it is my belief and experience that having healing would help. It would lift her above her own negative state of mind. Healing cleanses the aura and charges it up with positive energy.
Yes yes, your irrational belief is the most important thing in the world.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:52 PM   #654
Daylightstar
Philosopher

At least ComfySlippers provided responsible advise.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:56 PM   #655
Scorpion
Master Poster

Because it's rubbish and dangerous.
Blindingly obvious to me. I'm surprised your third eye doesn't let you see that.

You have demonstrated repeatedly that your irrational beliefs make you the very last person who someone with suicidal tendencies should take advice from..
By your terms spiritual beliefs are all rubbish, and of course you have no faith there is a God. But much of the worlds poulation think otherwise.

Ms please check the NHS link I gave, it contains phone numbers of organisations who don't practice nonsense.
The Samaritans would be a good one.
That is a good link with useful advice.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 12:56 PM   #656
Daylightstar
Philosopher

... the circumstances of the claim for suicidal behavior by mstricky. ...
What difference does the reason make, ...
Old 10th May 2014, 12:57 PM   #657
Daylightstar
Philosopher

By your terms spiritual beliefs are all rubbish, and of course you have no faith there is a God. But much of the worlds poulation think otherwise.
In spite of that, no god can be shown to exist.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:00 PM   #658
ComfySlippers
Banned

At least ComfySlippers provided responsible advise.

I rarely get outraged about posts made by strangers.
Im outraged.

None of us are qualified to diagnose a medical condition of an anonymous forum poster.
Scorpion even less so.

I strongly suggest that MS reads the link I gave and to ignore Scorpions flippant nonsense.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:01 PM   #659
Scorpion
Master Poster

In spite of that, no god can be shown to exist.
Yea, why not take away everyones hope. Not like they might have needed their beliefs or anything.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 01:02 PM   #660
Daylightstar
Philosopher

I rarely get outraged about posts made by strangers.
Im outraged.

None of us are qualified to diagnose a medical condition of an anonymous forum poster.
Scorpion even less so.

I strongly suggest that MS reads the link I gave and to ignore Scorpions flippant nonsense.
I'm in full support of your post!
Old 10th May 2014, 01:04 PM   #661
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Yea, why not take away everyones hope. Not like they might have needed their beliefs or anything.
You're offering false hope. No one needs a psych-quack.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:08 PM   #662
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Another thing.
As per my experience of your recent posts concerning mstricky's claims to suicidal behavior, they (your posts) represent the most reprehensible and disgusting aspect of irrational behavior.

Last edited by Daylightstar; 10th May 2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: "(your posts) " added.
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 01:11 PM   #663
Scorpion
Master Poster

You're offering false hope.
Tell it to little old ladys in Russia that were put in mental hospitals for believing in God. During Stalins time they were given aversion therapy in hospitals, but when they were finally released they went back to church.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 01:16 PM   #664
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Tell it to little old ladys in Russia that were put in mental hospitals for believing in God. During Stalins time they were given aversion therapy in hospitals, but when they were finally released they went back to church.
Did they go to your 'spiritual church'?
Old 10th May 2014, 01:17 PM   #665
desertgal
Illuminator

So what? The best you can offer in this thread to someone struggling with suicidal depression is a link to a qualified medical professional and/or center, such as the NHS link. Anything else is just quackery. Since the NHS link has been posted, and solid advice offered to seek help from a qualified professional, why don't you try leaving it up the lady to pursue that, and back out of the conversation? She may benefit from spiritual sustenance, if those are her beliefs, but she needs more than just that if she is truly suicidal.

Who gives a **** about little old ladies in Russia?

Last edited by desertgal; 10th May 2014 at 01:24 PM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 01:19 PM   #666
ComfySlippers
Banned

Another thing.

As per my experience of your recent posts concerning mstricky's claims to suicidal behavior, they represent the most reprehensible and disgusting aspect of irrational behavior.

Indeed.

MS, you must talk to someone.
Talking is more important than many of us realise.
The imagined stigma is as imaginary as Scorpions third eye.
Family/friends/GP, hell, I'll be back in Bolton soon I'll give you my phone number and listen.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:21 PM   #667
Scorpion
Master Poster

Did they go to your 'spiritual church'?
I believe they were christians. I read a book about Russian religious repression years ago.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 01:23 PM   #668
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Indeed.

MS, you must talk to someone.
Talking is more important than many of us realise.
The imagined stigma is as imaginary as Scorpions third eye.
Family/friends/GP, hell, I'll be back in Bolton soon I'll give you my phone number and listen.
Your link bears repetition:
Old 10th May 2014, 01:23 PM   #669
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
So what?
So, religious repression has been tried and failed. You cannot crush the God out of peoples hearts.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 01:25 PM   #670
Daylightstar
Philosopher

I believe they were christians. I read a book about Russian religious repression years ago.
I'm reading about psych-quackery right now, in a thread.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:26 PM   #671
Daylightstar
Philosopher

So, religious repression has been tried and failed. You cannot crush the God out of peoples hearts.
You can not talk a god into existence. No one can.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:27 PM   #672
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Irrational beliefs can be quite persistent. It's a known problem.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:32 PM   #673
desertgal
Illuminator

Well, apparently, if she is suicidally depressed, God isn't doing her much good right now.

Jesus, man, she needs help from a health professional, not a spiritual church. No one here is trying to "religiously repress" her, just advise her to the best help for her.

Get a grip.
Old 10th May 2014, 01:35 PM   #674
Daylightstar
Philosopher

mstricky, could you let us know what your course of action (if any) will be?
Will you (or have you already) check(ed) ComfySlippers' link?
Old 10th May 2014, 01:53 PM   #675
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
So what? The best you can offer in this thread to someone struggling with suicidal depression is a link to a qualified medical professional and/or center, such as the NHS link. Anything else is just quackery. Since the NHS link has been posted, and solid advice offered to seek help from a qualified professional, why don't you try leaving it up the lady to pursue that, and back out of the conversation? She may benefit from spiritual sustenance, if those are her beliefs, but she needs more than just that if she is truly suicidal.
See my post 641 where I explain the processes of getting psychiatric help in England.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 10th May 2014, 02:10 PM   #676
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I do not think my beliefs are irrational, they are the sum of my experience.

Maybe it is you who should not stomp on the beliefs that may give someone strength to carry on.

Only its a placebo, A denial of reality. When we die, we die.
Old 10th May 2014, 02:18 PM   #677
ComfySlippers
Banned

See my post 641 where I explain the processes of getting psychiatric help in England.

Meanwhile, back in the real world:
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...eservices.aspx

The Samaritans, non- religious organisation just in case any Russian ladies from last century are reading this, is a good starting point.
Phone call is quickest. They won't judge.
An in person visit is available. They have an office on Oxford Street.
0161 236 8000
The national number is 08457 909090
Email is an option but looks like it could be a slower process.
jo@samaritans.org
Old 10th May 2014, 02:54 PM   #678
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Scorpion;1don't think821
Fine. Now can you stop blathering on about old Russian women and religious repression? It really has nothing to do with aiding someone struggling with clinical depression.
Old 10th May 2014, 03:35 PM   #679
sadhatter
Philosopher

The placebo effect for one. Someone become so jumped up on good vibes and wanting to believe/ be a part of the spectacle they ignore symptoms, until the condition gets worse. The fake healers chalk it up as a win, and the person is left in a worse situation than if they got real medical attention.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2014, 03:37 PM   #680
sadhatter
Philosopher

That is a good link with useful advice.
Most of the worlds population believed the sub revolved around the earth at one point, did that make them any more right?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal