IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st January 2019, 02:11 PM   #561
MEequalsIxR
Muse

I did - I guess I kinda went out on a limb.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 02:18 PM   #562
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR View Post
I suppose one of the cat food companies could make bird flavored cat food on a lark.

They already do. My two kitties get chicken (with gravy!!!) pretty often.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 21st January 2019 at 02:23 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 02:36 PM   #563
MEequalsIxR
Muse

You got me there. I guess then turkey and duck should be added to the list.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:55 AM   #564
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Scientific fact: the words "beef," "lamb," "chicken, "salmon," etc. on a cat or dog food package indicate only the species of one of the ingredients. By no means do they indicate the part(s) of the animal the ingredient came from, its physical appearance before processing, or our expectation of what should be considered "meat."
I read the list of ingredients on a tin of cat food once. It listed "Meat, meat derivatives, fish, fish derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin, minerals." Other than ionised plasma, I can't think of anything that couldn't have been in it.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 03:05 AM   #565
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Has anyone posted this before?

Ancient Egypt had archeologists. Over 2000 years ago they decided to preserve their history lest it be forgotten.

Love the Ancient Egyptians.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:01 AM   #566
Venom
Illuminator

Vegetarians have lower risks of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and colorectal cancer than meat eaters.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:22 PM   #567
Thor 2
Philosopher

H2O becomes less dense when it freezes which is a very handy thing.

People who live in colder climates tend to be less dense than those that live in the tropics. In Australia the term "gone tropo" is well known to describe someone who lives in the tropics and has lost it.

Maybe there's a thesis in this somewhere.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:26 PM   #568
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
People who live in colder climates tend to be less dense than those that live in the tropics. In Australia the term "gone tropo" is well known to describe someone who lives in the tropics and has lost it.

Maybe there's a thesis in this somewhere.
Less dense? Do you mean less stupid? There used to be a widely-held (and racist) belief that people from cold climates were naturally more intelligent than people from hot climates. That was part of the reason why the city of Canberra was situated where it was - it was thought that being cold and dry would mean that the people who were born there would be smarter. It also meant that people wouldn't want to stay there and become career politicians.

King O'Malley was a colourful character. Ironically there's a pub named after him.
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:48 PM   #569
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Less dense? Do you mean less stupid? There used to be a widely-held (and racist) belief that people from cold climates were naturally more intelligent than people from hot climates. That was part of the reason why the city of Canberra was situated where it was - it was thought that being cold and dry would mean that the people who were born there would be smarter. It also meant that people wouldn't want to stay there and become career politicians.

King O'Malley was a colourful character. Ironically there's a pub named after him.

I guess you know I was joking. I lived most of my life in the tropics.
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:06 PM   #570
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Alcohol and water mixtures become more dense.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:18 PM   #571
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I guess you know I was joking. I lived most of my life in the tropics.
Well, you could have had an actual density as in physical property thing going. I had to check.
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:04 AM   #572
Venom
Illuminator

According the WHO, processed meat is carcinogenic to humans.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:06 AM   #573
3point14
Pi

Daltry knows nothing.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:22 AM   #574
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Daltry knows nothing.

Unintentional bait.
Old 23rd January 2019, 01:44 PM   #575
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In 1988 a woman a woman born with no vagina somehow managed to give birth via a set of incredible circumstances that are really, really hard to believe.

Today I Found Out: The Bizarre Story of the Girl with No Vagina Who Was Stabbed and had a Baby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbEFyeM4bow
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:05 PM   #576
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Alcohol and water mixtures become more dense.

Must be a joke in here somewhere because it contradicts fact.

Always found it amusing that heavy beer (higher alcohol content) is lighter than light beer. i.e. The higher the alcohol content the beer is the less dense.
Old 23rd January 2019, 05:09 PM   #577
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
According the WHO, processed meat is carcinogenic to humans.
Yeeeeaahhhhh... there's a lot more to that than is commonly reported. Suffice to say that a statement such as this is incredibly misleading.

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2013...y-joe-mercola/
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:53 PM   #578
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There is a species of great ape called homo sapiens. The second name is pretty much an oxymoron.
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:11 PM   #579
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There is a species of great ape called homo sapiens. The second name is pretty much an oxymoron.
From Mr. Deity and the Science Advisor (starting at about 2:58):

Quote:
Mr. Diety: Homo . . . homo sapiens?
PZ: That means "wise man."
Mr. Diety: So they're smarter than me?
PZ: You know how you name a small dog "Goliath?"

Last edited by dasmiller; 23rd January 2019 at 10:12 PM.
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:37 PM   #580
Cheetah
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In 1988 a woman a woman born with no vagina somehow managed to give birth via a set of incredible circumstances that are really, really hard to believe.
Totally bizarre.

Oral conception. Impregnation via the proximal gastrointestimal tract in a patient with an aplastic distal vagina. Case report

Often when people hear of some bizarre story they shake their heads and say only in America and other times they shake their heads and say only in Africa.

Last edited by Cheetah; 23rd January 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 01:59 AM   #581
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Today I Found Out: The Bizarre Story of the Girl with No Vagina Who Was Stabbed and had a Baby.
Sounds like a story the writers of House rejected because it was too fanciful.
Old 24th January 2019, 09:06 AM   #582
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The guy unfortunately makes the common error of confusing "immaculate conception" with "virgin birth". The former actually refers to Mary as having been conceived without original sin.
Old 24th January 2019, 09:15 AM   #583
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The guy unfortunately makes the common error of confusing "immaculate conception" with "virgin birth". The former actually refers to Mary as having been conceived without original sin.
I remember Ben Stein lost an episode of "Win Ben Stein's Money" because he made the same mistake. He was quite shocked that he got it wrong.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 09:26 AM   #584
attempt5001
Critical Thinker

Did you mean "Mary as having conceived" (i.e., Jesus as having been conceived)?

And do you know what they (I assume the RCC) define as "original sin" in this context?
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 09:59 AM   #585
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by attempt5001 View Post

And do you know what they (I assume the RCC) define as "original sin" in this context?
NO. The Immaculate Conception means that Mary was conceived and born without original sin. Nothing to do with Jesus conception or birth.
Old 24th January 2019, 10:16 AM   #586
attempt5001
Critical Thinker

NO. The Immaculate Conception means that Mary was conceived and born without original sin. Nothing to do with Jesus conception or birth.
Wow. Okay. Thanks. Didn't know that.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 10:22 AM   #587
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Must be a joke in here somewhere because it contradicts fact.

Always found it amusing that heavy beer (higher alcohol content) is lighter than light beer. i.e. The higher the alcohol content the beer is the less dense.
The problem with your reasoning is Beer is more than just a mixture of water and alcohol.

And which is higher alcohol content Guinness or Harp?

The Harp is the one that is on the bottom in a Black and Tan.

bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 11:58 AM   #588
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No. Mary's conception (ie, Mary being created as an embryo) was without original sin. That's the immaculate conception. Jesus is god, so he can't have original sin, that's not a relevant descriptor for him.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin#Catholicism
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 12:00 PM   #589
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't say it had nothing to do with it, but it is separate and distinct from it. Mary had to be born without original sin in order to become Jesus' mother, it wasn't a coincidence.
Old 24th January 2019, 03:36 PM   #590
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Okay. Thanks. Didn't know that.
It's a really common misunderstanding. From the Wikipedia article:
Quote:
The Immaculate Conception is commonly confused with the virgin birth of Jesus, the latter being, rather, the doctrine of the Incarnation. While virtually all Christians believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, it is principally Roman Catholics, along with various other Christian denominations, who believe in the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception.
Old 24th January 2019, 03:58 PM   #591
This is The End

Does that mean that in the story Mary also did not have a father?

In other words, both Mary and Mary's mom gave birth to babies without a male inseminating?
Old 24th January 2019, 04:41 PM   #592
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

In other words, both Mary and Mary's mom gave birth to babies without a male inseminating?

Reproductive sex between (properly sanctified) married couples is not a sin in Catholicism. Original Sin is magically-inherited guilt for Adam's and Eve's (mostly Eve's) disobedience, not for having been conceived via sex.

The immaculate conception was magically free of that magical curse. (One of the more easily accomplished bits of divine magic in religion, it would seem.)
Old 24th January 2019, 05:06 PM   #593
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
The problem with your reasoning is Beer is more than just a mixture of water and alcohol.

And which is higher alcohol content Guinness or Harp?

The Harp is the one that is on the bottom in a Black and Tan.

You have made a silly statement and now you clutter it up with a lot of crap.

Hydrometers are used to measure alcohol content. The further they sink into the solution the less the specific gravity (ie. density) is and the higher the alcoholic content. For your Info:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mea...-a-Hydrometer/
Old 24th January 2019, 05:45 PM   #594
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

No, at least not in modern Catholic doctrine, although that was proposed at one time. It's discussed in the Wiki article.
Old 24th January 2019, 05:53 PM   #595
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Hydrometers are used to measure alcohol content. The further they sink into the solution the less the specific gravity (ie. density) is and the higher the alcoholic content.
Note, though, that hydrometers work by assuming a pure alcohol/water mix. Granted, that is a model which works for any real beer or wine, but it is not (in principle) perfectly accurate. For instance, the presence of large amounts of unfermented sugar would affect the reading. In practice, hydrometers are used in the final stages of fermentation, when more or less by definition most of the sugar has been converted to alcohol.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 03:36 PM   #596
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
Note, though, that hydrometers work by assuming a pure alcohol/water mix. Granted, that is a model which works for any real beer or wine, but it is not (in principle) perfectly accurate. For instance, the presence of large amounts of unfermented sugar would affect the reading. In practice, hydrometers are used in the final stages of fermentation, when more or less by definition most of the sugar has been converted to alcohol.

Oh absolutely! Other substances in solution certainly effect specific gravity also.

I was addressing the statement: "Alcohol and water mixtures become more dense."

Well I suppose you could say that alcohol becomes more dense when you add water.
Old 25th January 2019, 03:41 PM   #597
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Oh absolutely! Other substances in solution certainly effect specific gravity also.

I was addressing the statement: "Alcohol and water mixtures become more dense."

Well I suppose you could say that alcohol becomes more dense when you add water.

You could, I guess. But it would be more accurate to say that when water is added to alcohol the mixture is more dense than the alcohol alone.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 04:51 PM   #598
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You could, I guess. But it would be more accurate to say that when water is added to alcohol the mixture is more dense than the alcohol alone.

I concede that is a clearer way to put it.
Old 26th January 2019, 01:38 AM   #599
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That was part of the reason why the city of Canberra was situated where it was - it was thought that being cold and dry would mean that the people who were born there would be smarter.
Ha! Is that for real? Was born there but I've never heard this.
Sceptic-PK is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 09:36 AM   #600
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Hydrometers are used to measure alcohol content. The further they sink into the solution the less the specific gravity (ie. density) is and the higher the alcoholic content. For your Info:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mea...-a-Hydrometer/

That's beside the point.

The reason for that is that alcohol is less dense than water, so of course the more alcohol content, the less dense the solution.

What I was saying, was that you mix some alcohol with some water, and the resulting volume will be less than the sum of the volume of the alcohol and water you are mixing.

Add a cup of water to a cup of alcohol and you get less than 2 cups of mixture.

Resulting in a more dense solution.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology