IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th November 2019, 10:48 AM   #641
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

John Bolton
@AmbJohnBolton
Sep 10
As we reflect this week on the horrific 9/11 attack, ...
Does Trump know 9/11 happened in September, not November?
Old 9th November 2019, 10:56 AM   #642
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Bringing the word “Nationalism” back into the mainstream - great job by Rich Lowry! Very important book.

Rich Lowry
@RichLowry
Excited to share that my new book, “The Case for Nationalism: How It Made Us Powerful, United, and Free” will be out November 5. It’s available for pre-order now https://amazon.com/Case-Nationalism-...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
And let's not forget the wonderful things nationalism did for the first half of the 20th Century.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:08 AM   #643
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
He's become a European.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:13 AM   #644
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 11:13 AM   #645
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
As much as I support the 1st Amendment, I would have no qualms at all with Fox being shut down over the sheer dishonesty of so much of the propaganda they push.
I don't think the government should be involved in any media shutdowns. But responsible consumers could boycott products and services that advertise on Carlson, Hannity etc., as some have, and over time it would have an impact on the Fox bottom line.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 11:29 AM   #646
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Dan Scavino Jr.
@Scavino45
On Thursday, 11/7/2019, the President signed into law:

S. 693, the “National POW/MIA Flag Act,” which honors service members who are Prisoners of War (POW) or Missing in Action (MIA) by increasing frequency of POW/MIA flag display on specified Federal properties.
The whole POW/MIA flag thing is basically a conspiracy theory anyhow, promoted by Rambo & such movies.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:36 AM   #647
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Dan Scavino Jr.
@Scavino45
On Thursday, 11/7/2019, the President signed into law:

S. 693, the “National POW/MIA Flag Act,” which honors service members who are Prisoners of War (POW) or Missing in Action (MIA) by increasing frequency of POW/MIA flag display on specified Federal properties.
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
This is a subhuman scumbag just showing it off for his animals.

He has disrespected servicemen and women constantly. Now he is wrapped in what I assume is a pre-humped flag.

**** trump with a dead porcupine.
Sideways
100%. I thought Trump preferred "people who weren't captured"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 11:55 AM   #648
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

From Don Jr.’s new book:

“I rarely get emotional, if ever. I guess you'd call me hyper-rational, stoic. Yet, as we drove past the rows of white grave markers, in the gravity of the moment, I had a deep sense of the importance of the presidency and a love of our country ... In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we'd already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we'd have to make to help my father succeed — voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were 'profiting off of the office,’” President Trump’s eldest son wrote in his book, Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us.

ETA

Author and former US Army Captain Matt Gallagher wrote: "Imagine going to Arlington... and being moved to think about money."

ETA
Also, no, Donny; no respectable person thinks of you as being hyper-rational.

Last edited by Ladewig; 9th November 2019 at 12:01 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 11:59 AM   #649
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!
Geez, it's like the guy has some internal timer that says "I must Tweet something now. Anything."
Old 9th November 2019, 12:01 PM   #650
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I recommend that Nervous Nancy Pelosi (who backed up Schiff’s lie), Shifty Adam Schiff, Sleepy Joe Biden, the Whistleblower (who miraculously disappeared after I released the transcript of the call), the 2nd Whistleblower (who also disappeared), & the I.G., be part of the list!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:03 PM   #651
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump: The farmers' friend.
Quote:
In farm country, mental health experts say they’re seeing more suicides as families endure the worst period for U.S. agriculture in decades. Farm bankruptcies and loan delinquencies are rising, calamitous weather events are ruining crops, and profits are vanishing during Trump’s global trade disputes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...g/?arc404=true
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:09 PM   #652
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

One last thought on Donny’s quote. He says they wanted to avoid the appearance of profiting from the office. There is a world of difference between not wanting to profit from the office and not wanting to appear to profit from the office.

Things to do when you want to profit but not appear to profit: leave your business deals off your security clearance application

Edited to remove an accusation for which I have no evidence.

Last edited by Ladewig; 9th November 2019 at 12:12 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:24 PM   #653
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Now he is wrapped in what I assume is a pre-humped flag.

Sideways
Public spooning?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:26 PM   #654
autumn1971
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

I recommend that Nervous Nancy Pelosi (who backed up Schiff’s lie), Shifty Adam Schiff, Sleepy Joe Biden, the Whistleblower (who miraculously disappeared after I released the transcript of the call), the 2nd Whistleblower (who also disappeared), & the I.G., be part of the list!
“Part of the list”?

He thinks he is a literal dictator.
This is an explicit call for violence against political foes.

Trump needs a ball-gag and a pair of oven mitts
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:37 PM   #655
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

....Whatever happened to the so-called “informer” to Whistleblower #1? Seems to have disappeared after I released the Transcript of the call. Shouldn’t he be on the list to testify? Witch Hunt!
Old 9th November 2019, 12:39 PM   #656
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Also, oblique references to critics "disappearing."
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:05 PM   #657
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

....Whatever happened to the so-called “informer” to Whistleblower #1? Seems to have disappeared after I released the Transcript of the call. Shouldn’t he be on the list to testify? Witch Hunt!
I'd be surprised if the "informer" hasn't already testified or at least been called but failed to appear.
Old 9th November 2019, 01:15 PM   #658
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
How could he forget? After all, he was down at Ground Zero himself helping clear the rubble. He felt it was his duty after watching (from 4 miles away) the second plane crash into a tower and people jumping out windows. How could he forget watching thousands of Muslims celebrating on roof tops? He doesn't consider himself a first responder but he did spend a lot of time down there helping.

It's not is fault if no one saw him there. He's a modest man who doesn't like to draw attention to himself.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:22 PM   #659
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweeted

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!
Something must have triggered him.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:29 PM   #660
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

One would think this incident would get more buzz than it did.
(Note: that is not a faked picture.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trump-grabs-washington-nnationals-.jpg (39.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 9th November 2019, 01:37 PM   #661
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Trump Tweeted

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!

Did Trump think that becoming president would magically make him immune from the 'little people'? Did he think that meant he no longer had to work within the system?

It seems he really did have this fantasy in his mind that once elected president, he would instantly became an untouchable deity.
Old 9th November 2019, 01:44 PM   #662
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Did Trump think that becoming president would magically make him immune from the 'little people'? Did he think that meant he no longer had to work within the system?

It seems he really did have this fantasy in his mind that once elected president, he would instantly became an untouchable deity.
No. Trump has always thought he's an untouchable deity.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:48 PM   #663
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

“Part of the list”?

He thinks he is a literal dictator.
This is an explicit call for violence against political foes.

Trump needs a ball-gag and a pair of oven mitts
I read it that way at first, but a subsequent tweet - “Shouldn’t he be on the list to testify?” - makes it pretty clear he’s talking about the list of witnesses to be called at the upcoming public hearings.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 9th November 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:54 PM   #664
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

He/She has probably already given a deposition, and will be testifying in the upcoming public hearings!

My guess is that at least one of the people the whistle-blower talked to was possibly Lt Col Alex Vindman.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th November 2019 at 01:56 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 02:01 PM   #665
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No. Trump has always thought he's an untouchable deity.
Yes, but he imagined that he could use the full force of the federal government to crush his enemies and critics. Wait, that’s redundant because every critic gets put on the enemies list.

He was amazed that he could claim he had the largest inauguration and that actual federal employees could publicly disagree with him.

The idea that there were going to be limits to his power was (and is) unfathomable to him.

ETA
Heck, the idea that he had to read a one-page intelligence briefing every single day surprised him to no end.

Last edited by Ladewig; 9th November 2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 9th November 2019, 03:33 PM   #666
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Something must have triggered him.
One of his spawn just wrote a book about that.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:18 PM   #667
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
North Carolina.

As soon as Roy Cooper was elected Governor in 2016 the GOP controlled General Assembly (our Senate and HoR) went into high gear, before Cooper had a chance to even take office, passing as much legislation as they could to emasculate the Governor's office. Since they held a super majority in both branches this continued to some degree until the last election when they lost the certain ability to override a Governor's veto. Many cases are still in court regarding some of the actions they took.
That's really weird. Here in Canada, when an election is called the current legislature is dissolved and all pending legislation "dies on the order paper." No new legislation can be brought forward because there is no lawmaking body until after the election is over and a new government is put together.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:26 PM   #668
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't think the government should be involved in any media shutdowns. But responsible consumers could boycott products and services that advertise on Carlson, Hannity etc., as some have, and over time it would have an impact on the Fox bottom line.
While I do understand your position, I do think that the government should put penalties on brazen, demonstrable deception masquerading as news. Freedom of Speech is important, but the freedom to deceive without consequence actually seriously undermines the actually desired positive effects of free speech. Further, I've been rather unhappy about the way that the FCC Fairness Doctrine is gone, though, as yet another of the casualties of the Republican War on Truth.

Last edited by Aridas; 9th November 2019 at 04:34 PM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:29 PM   #669
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yes it does seem to be a good cause. So good on her doing something useful.

Please, please don't let there be a story next week that the Trumps are building a new resort in Morocco!
Ivanka has also gone against the family line on outing the whistleblower, which is another point in her favour. She's definitely a cut above Fredo and Eric.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:34 PM   #670
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
That's really weird. Here in Canada, when an election is called the current legislature is dissolved and all pending legislation "dies on the order paper." No new legislation can be brought forward because there is no lawmaking body until after the election is over and a new government is put together.
Indeed. In a couple of months an outgoing rapscalion and his band of scallywags can get up to much vengeful mischief. "Lame duck" session, my arse. Another bit of electoral/administrative idiocy the US might do well to redress.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:49 PM   #671
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Bolton appears to have released the aid to Ukraine

From Bloomberg News -

Quote:
Congressional appropriators were frustrated when their inquiry on Aug. 29 about the status of the State Department funds was greeted by silence. Days passed and on Sept. 9, when they asked again, the State Department’s Legislative Affairs office told them there was no hold on the $141 million, according to a person familiar with the matter.

What they didn’t know, according to one of the people, was that shortly before Sept. 9, Bolton had relayed a message to the State Department that the funding could go ahead. It’s not clear whether Bolton, who resigned from the job a week later, did so with Trump’s approval.

Bolton’s handling of the funding struck officials in the White House as violating protocol and caught Mulvaney by surprise, according to another person familiar with the matter. ✂️

That may explain a cryptic letter that Bolton’s lawyer sent to Congress on Friday saying the former national security adviser has “new details” about the Ukraine matter that they don’t know about, without elaborating. Bolton has declined to testify against White House orders unless a judge rules he should and didn’t respond to multiple emails seeking comment.
Old 9th November 2019, 05:15 PM   #672
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Same in the UK
Old 9th November 2019, 05:16 PM   #673
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A terrible lie. How can she do such a thing?

Lee Zeldin
@RepLeeZeldin
It appears Ambassador Yovanovitch did not accurately answer this question I asked her during her “impeachment inquiry” deposition under oath. twitter.com/RealSaavedra/s…
Old 9th November 2019, 05:17 PM   #674
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Donald Trump Jr.
@DonaldJTrumpJr
"The person who planted fake evidence shouldn't be the one ruling on the admissibility of fake evidence," Ratcliffe said of Schiff on Friday.
Ratcliffe: Adam Schiff Is Running A Corrupt Process To Overthrow Trump
Old 9th November 2019, 06:07 PM   #675
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweeted

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!
WAAAHH!!! WAAAAHHHH!!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:49 PM   #676
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A Trump supporter attacked the Baby Trump balloon with a knife at the AL/LSU game today inflicting a several foot long gash in it.

https://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/2...rest-made.html
Old 9th November 2019, 06:55 PM   #677
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

A Trump supporter attacked the Baby Trump balloon with a knife at the AL/LSU game today inflicting a several foot long gash in it.
The Secret Service needs to interview them ASAP, as it's entirely possible they thought it was the actual Trump they attacked.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:55 PM   #678
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Indeed. In a couple of months an outgoing rapscalion and his band of scallywags can get up to much vengeful mischief. "Lame duck" session, my arse. Another bit of electoral/administrative idiocy the US might do well to redress.
It's a State idiocy, not a federal one. The State's constitution allows for it, so redress at the US level brings up States' Rights. And we know where that can lead, don't we? It ain't a pretty destination.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 9th November 2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:57 PM   #679
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

https://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/2...rest-made.html
Maybe he thought it was a giant piñata?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:58 PM   #680
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The Secret Service needs to interview them ASAP, as it's entirely possible they thought it was the actual Trump they attacked.
Sue them for treason and have them shot, I say. Send them to Heaven and let God sort it out.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics