ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th March 2019, 06:02 AM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I always thought Honkey was slang for someone from Hong Kong. How the hell is that an insult for a person with genetically pinky/beige/ lightly tanned skin?
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/honky
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 06:21 AM   #42
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Counter point from someone in the center who finds both sets of people stupid.
Well, just remember, the reason this one may have been posted, is to show the absurdity of labeling an entire race/gender, because of the actions of a few.

If we say White America is Racist because, hey, look at this white person being racist, then it would apply to Black-Trans-America, because, hey look at this black-trans-person attacking white people.

It's absurd in both cases
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 09:12 AM   #43
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Well, just remember, the reason this one may have been posted, is to show the absurdity of labeling an entire race/gender, because of the actions of a few.

If we say White America is Racist because, hey, look at this white person being racist, then it would apply to Black-Trans-America, because, hey look at this black-trans-person attacking white people.

That what I said, in the bit you snipped.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 10:07 AM   #44
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

No, it would only be the same if the police and prosecutors were bending over backwards to deny that it was a hate crime, or even a crime at all, and we had a horde of Black-Trans-Americans and their allies trying to explain how the attacker was perfectly justified in doing what they did because of reasons.

We don't have either of those.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:37 AM   #45
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
No, it would only be the same if the police and prosecutors were bending over backwards to deny that it was a hate crime, or even a crime at all, and we had a horde of Black-Trans-Americans and their allies trying to explain how the attacker was perfectly justified in doing what they did because of reasons.

We don't have either of those.
There's the also the long and ongoing history of structural racism against nonwhite groups in housing, education, health care, and the like.

Also, while I'm sure some say that white America is racist, it's more common to say that the US is racist, period.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 08:12 PM   #46
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I always thought Honkey was slang for someone from Hong Kong. How the hell is that an insult for a person with genetically pinky/beige/ lightly tanned skin?
Refers to the less than melodious tones of a white voice to a black ear, so I've been told.
Old 13th March 2019, 08:17 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Refers to the less than melodious tones of a white voice to a black ear, so I've been told.
By who? UrbanDictionary.com?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 08:24 PM   #48
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
By who? UrbanDictionary.com?
Recollections from my youth. A black guy I went to school with said white people look, walk, and talk like Canadian geese and things like that.
Old 14th March 2019, 03:00 AM   #49
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It *might* come from the phrase "honkey-tonk", but like much of our slurs, it's origin is really pretty unclear, according to historians.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 05:48 AM   #50
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It *might* come from the phrase "honkey-tonk", but like much of our slurs, it's origin is really pretty unclear, according to historians.
I got curious and read up a little, couple interesting theories: it was a corruption of 'hungy', being short for Hungarian, applied to whites in general.

There was also a neighborhood where white guys would drive up to solicit black prostitutes, and would honk their car horns to attract the workers, reportedly being afraid to get out of the car.
Old 14th March 2019, 06:10 AM   #51
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There really isn't a single insulting obscene word used for white people. There really isn't a white equivalent for the "N" word which creates shock and awe and termination of employment when it is uttered.

The only thing that I can imagine working would be to put the word "white" in front of any obscene descriptor. I can't write these things because they are censored here. But think of the list of censored swear words and then put "white" in front of each of them. It would also work if "honky" was put in front of each word. But honky alone has no devastating effect and is instead a curiosity like some sort of antique object.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:10 AM   #52
pharphis
Graduate Poster

This is a weird example I heard about years back but they referred to white people as "toilet-seat complexion cave beckies" iirc. Bizarre.

Anyway, I think I figured out this hate-crime. The targets were all 'cis' and the perpetrator was 'trans'.

/s
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 06:55 PM   #53
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Anyway, I think I figured out this hate-crime. The targets were all 'cis' and the perpetrator was 'trans'.

/s

But here's the thing: we don't actually know that, and neither did the attacker.

Sure, maybe that's how the smart money would bet, but it's not a lock by any means.
Old Today, 05:37 PM   #54
Carlotta
Thinker

Sorry to bump, but in my experience (senior citizen, Richmond, VA) honky was always slightly humorous, mostly. White cracker, on the other hand, dripping with hatred. I'm glad to say not often heard.
Carlotta is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events