ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 15th March 2019, 12:54 AM   #1
Toontown
Philosopher

Did Trump just threaten us?

How crazy is Trump, exactly? Does he really believe the military, the police, and the bikers would rise up against the collective will of the American people in support of HIM, DONOLF TRUMPLER?

Lawrence doesn't think so. He thinks Trump was just running off at the mouth again. Crazy, unhinged, but just another squirt of verbal diarrhea from Trump's incontinent mouth, Lawrence thinks.

Interestingly, Trump didn't include the nazis in his threat, no doubt because he and his are currently accusing Democrats of being Jew-haters. So threatening to unleash his obsequious nazis on us would have been inconvenient at this time.

Lawrence makes a good case for feckless verbal diarrheah. But even if that's all it is, I wonder if we can afford to allow such threats to go unanswered. We don't want politikers to get into the habit of threatening us, do we?

https://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/...-1458517571680
Old 15th March 2019, 12:57 AM   #2
Venom
Master Poster

Added to my list of things If Obama Had Said... that would make Republican heads explode.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 01:35 AM   #3
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

I don't think it was intended as a threat. I think it was another case of his mouth being directly connected to what's left of his brain, without a filter to block his violent retribution fantasies of his cult rising up against the injustices the Dear Leader suffers. That said, I think we can expect more incidents of unstable people reacting to that rhetoric as if it were a call to action, like the MAGA bomber.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:19 AM   #4
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Was this before or after it became public that the NZ mosque shooter said he was an admirer of Trump's?
Old 15th March 2019, 02:21 AM   #5
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
I don't think it was intended as a threat. I think it was another case of his mouth being directly connected to what's left of his brain, without a filter to block his violent retribution fantasies of his cult rising up against the injustices the Dear Leader suffers. That said, I think we can expect more incidents of unstable people reacting to that rhetoric as if it were a call to action, like the MAGA bomber.
Ah. He was only publicly fantasizing about threatening us. Verbalized wishful thinking.

Which raises the question in my mind as to whether he gains or loses votes by indulging in such violent fantasies - i.e., how many other crazies are also fantasizing in that manner?

Last edited by Toontown; 15th March 2019 at 02:23 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:44 AM   #6
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Was this before or after it became public that the NZ mosque shooter said he was an admirer of Trump's?
Trump's comment was a day earlier.
Old 15th March 2019, 02:57 AM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It was a threat. About the only leaders who may get away with this are military dictators, Putin and...............Trump.

I'm beyond laughing. I now just shake my head about the state of a once great nation.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:09 AM   #8
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Why does Lawrence think dentists are pussies?
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:27 AM   #9
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Trump's comment was a day earlier.
Thanks.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:30 AM   #10
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Us?

Lol.

Is this the new designated safe space?
Old 15th March 2019, 03:31 AM   #11
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Trump's already been compared to Hitler you're going to have to do better than this
Old 15th March 2019, 03:36 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

We've been repeatedly reminded by his supporters, not to take things that President Trump says literally, but to take them seriously instead.

My personal view is not that President Trump has any intention of doing anything coup-like. Instead I think he is pre-stirring some righteous indignation in his supporters just in case he has some significant reverses and reassuring his supporters by saying that the people that they look up to, also support the President.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:23 AM   #13
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Trump's already been compared to Hitler you're going to have to do better than this
I was asking a question because I wanted to be better informed on the subject before offering an opinion. Anything else you're inferring comes entirely from your own imagination.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:24 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

Quote:
Did Trump just threaten us?
Yes.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:27 AM   #15
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Obviously Trump is planning to change the Constitution and be President for life.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:38 AM   #16
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
We've been repeatedly reminded by his supporters, not to take things that President Trump says literally, but to take them seriously instead.
I've always thought this was a snappy catchphrase for Trump, but also total BS.

The same supporters loudly extol his virtue if saying what he means. The same supporters constantly excuse him because he "wasn't serious".

I think Trump is to be taken biblically literally. From moment to moment, whatever level of literal interpretation most benefits their wants and goals is the correct one. The thing about shrimp or rich people not getting into heaven we don't take literally. But the thing about gays we do.

Mexico wouldn't literally pay for the wall. But we will literally build a wall. Unless we can't in which case we meant slightly expanded border fencing all along. Unless that doesn't solve all our problem, in which case we meant a big physical wall and you need to give it to us now.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON

Last edited by Cavemonster; 15th March 2019 at 04:39 AM.
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:43 AM   #17
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Obviously Trump is planning to change the Constitution and be President for life.
Much more likely, Trump is fantasizing that his cult will insist on it.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:58 AM   #18
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What did Trump said? Can't watch the video in the OP due to being at work.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:10 AM   #19
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
What did Trump said? Can't watch the video in the OP due to being at work.
"You know, the left plays a tougher game, it’s very funny. I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don’t play it tougher. Okay? I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump — I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad. But the left plays it cuter and tougher."

So he didn't make a blatant threat, but his fantasy about it is clear enough.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:21 AM   #20
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Trump has a long history of threatening to hurt and kill his various enemies.

For example, does anyone else recall Trump saying:

“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”

Trump said this in August, 2016 when he was discussing what would happen if Clinton became president and got to appoint judges to the Supreme Court.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:29 AM   #21
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Half threat, half wishful thinking.

I can easily see some suicidal member of Trump's radical base willing to throw their life away in an act of mass violence, but I'm not overly concerned that large institutions like the military or police are going to rise up in some form of coup to protect him from a lost election or criminal proceedings. I'm more worried about lone wolves and loosely organized alt-righters committing acts of terrorism than I am about the US Army marching on DC.

The fact that a US president would even suggest such a thing is, of course, unconscionable. If this country manages to emerge from this crisis of a presidency intact, much work needs to be done to shore up the rule of law. We are fully experiencing the shortcomings of expecting norms to protect this country from slipping into tyranny.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th March 2019 at 05:32 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:39 AM   #22
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I consider it a threat, probably as close to a threat as Donnie thinks he can get and still preserve some deniability. At best, it's the kind of statement no responsible American political leader would ever make, has ever made.

Some people are concerned this is all part of a long range strategy for Trump to invalidate the 2020 election results if he is defeated. To claim it was due to massive voter fraud and his supporters the American people (his supporters being the 'real' Americans) will not tolerate it. Now he's prepping his troops, getting them riled up. Scary times.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:49 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Betteridge says no.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:59 AM   #24
p0lka
Graduate Poster

I would be looking elsewhere, apparently trump is quite good at distracting the media and the public from other shenanigans.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ctions-delight

Quote:
“One of the things that I have found absolutely thrilling in working for this administration,” said Balash,“is the president has a knack for keeping the attention of the media and the public focused somewhere else while we do all the work that needs to be done on behalf of the American people.”

Last edited by p0lka; 15th March 2019 at 06:00 AM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:11 AM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
"You know, the left plays a tougher game, it’s very funny. I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don’t play it tougher. Okay? I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump — I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad. But the left plays it cuter and tougher."
My god, the man simply cannot speak well. Even aside from the content anyone who speaks so clumsily has no business leading anything. I know five year olds who are more articulate. With bigger vocabularies as well.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:22 AM   #26
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Us?

Lol.

President threatens violence against political opponents? Phfft. Questionable pronoun usage? Hrumph!

Glad to see you have your priorities in order! When in Rome: lol

All hail the Banana Republican in Chief.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:25 AM   #27
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
My god, the man simply cannot speak well. Even aside from the content anyone who speaks so clumsily has no business leading anything. I know five year olds who are more articulate. With bigger vocabularies as well.
He may of course be tailoring his language to his audience....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:40 AM   #28
Toontown
Philosopher

Us?

Lol.

Yeah. Us, as in we who support the Constitution, the rule of law, and the peaceful transfer of power.

You know, the stuff the military and the cops used to support before they were apparently minionized like a bunch of mindless yellow weenies, if Trump is to be taken "seriously".
Old 15th March 2019, 06:48 AM   #29
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Added to my list of things If Obama Had Said... that would make Republican heads explode.
He tries to re-ignite a volunteer public service movement and they said he was recruiting Brown Shirts.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:49 AM   #30
Toontown
Philosopher

Touchy about those Hitler comparisons, are you?

Guess you'll just have to suffer. I ain't takin it back. That fat orange turd would be just like Hitler if he had the brains and the vocabulary, and lost 60 lb, which he could easily do without getting into what little muscle he has.

Last edited by Toontown; 15th March 2019 at 06:52 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:04 AM   #31
Apathia
Philosopher

The threat level here reminds me of when I was five years old and threatened my parents that my plushies and dolls would come for them.
Run you mean people! Raggedy Ann's gonna make you hurt!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:14 AM   #32
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
The threat level here reminds me of when I was five years old and threatened my parents that my plushies and dolls would come for them.
Yeah, except for the fact that his rhetoric is known to launch the occasional loon into murderous attack mode.
Old 15th March 2019, 07:17 AM   #33
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I wish it was that benign.

However, when a sitting president incites violence, then violence often does ensue in some way, shape or form.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:18 AM   #34
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's really troubling. Not just the poor speaking, but the poorly thought out content. This OP is a classic example. I'm sure he thought it was playground bluster. A reasonable person broomhandle would be sensitive enough not to say such a thing.
Old 15th March 2019, 07:19 AM   #35
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I hope they took your candy away for a week for that.

Hans
Old 15th March 2019, 07:30 AM   #36
Donal
Illuminator

Then Raggedy Anne walks into a newspaper office and shoots 5 people dead.

The moron may not mean/understand what he's saying, but there is a well documented affect.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:47 AM   #37
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

"You know, the left plays a tougher game...
I notice increasingly Trump refers to Democrats as the left. As a lifelong registered Democrat I really resent that. By most standards, today's Democratic Party is very conservative compared to actual left-oriented parties in other nations. What does he want?

I get that it's probably just a rhetorical device he uses to divide society into 'us versus them' but that's a terrible way for the president White House guy to govern. This is going to be another USFL, I just know it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worst president ever.jpg (35.1 KB, 5 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 08:05 AM   #38
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Tell that to the politicians and news organizations that received pipe bombs in the mail from a Trump cultist.

Tell that to the protesters who were behaving lawfully and were roughed up at Trump rallies, at Trump's urging.

Tell that to the politicians and news organization who received threats from a Trump cultist in Oregon, who was found with a cache of pipe bombs and guns.

Tell that to the interracial couple attacked by a knife-wielding Trump cultist.

Tell that to the homeless man of Mexican descent who was beaten by Trump cultists.

Tell that to the reporters who cover Trump rallies as the cultists are being egged on by Trump -- "enemies of the people".

Tell that to the black teenager who was beaten while handcuffed by a Trump cultist police chief -- "Donald Trump is the last hope for white America".

Tell that to the 49 people in NZ killed by a Trump cultist.

I could go on at great length. Raggedy Ann my ass.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:13 AM   #39
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So he didn't make a blatant threat, but his fantasy about it is clear enough.
Why does this remind me of a mafia thug trying to extort protection money from a businessman?

"Nice store you have here. Its a rough neighborhood. Shame if something bad happened to it. "

And by the way.... does anyone question why he'd throw both the police and bikers in the same category? After all, its not like those 2 groups are natural allies.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 08:16 AM   #40
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Quote:
Touchy about those Hitler comparisons, are you?
You would figure Trump and his supporters would like the Hitler comparisons. After all, as we found out, neo-nazis are fine people.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics