ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:37 PM   #41
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
Avro Vulcan XH558 was due to appear at Shoreham shortly after the crash.
This appearance was cancelled and it went onto its next appointments at Bournemouth and Dawlish.
I saw (and more importantly heard) it at Dawlish, and that was before the Shoreham stuff.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 12:47 PM   #42
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Is it time to end "air shows" ... they cost VASTY more then any income they produce (not even counting death payouts) and I see no useful purpose for them.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 12:50 PM   #43
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
Is it time to end "air shows" ... they cost VASTY more then any income they produce (not even counting death payouts) and I see no useful purpose for them.
I do see a useful purpose for them, and I'm not sure how you can fail to.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 01:04 PM   #44
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I do see a useful purpose for them, and I'm not sure how you can fail to.
Please explain I try to have an open mind ... the entertainment value is depreciated by the MILLIONS of dollars is costs (IMO) ... I can watch bulldozers and backhoes at constructions sites for free and it's JUST as entertain IMO

The risk of life outweighs the value even excluding the HUGE public cash and environmental cost
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 02:13 PM   #45
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
A high speed stall and pancaking into the ground is not pushing it to its limits? You're right - well over its limits would be a more accurate description.
What a nice example of selective quoting. What I actually said in full was:

"Having been designed and deployed as a front-line fighter, I can assure you that the relatively gentle manoeuvres performed at airshows are not even remotely pushing it to its limits."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 02:17 PM   #46
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Assuming this isn't satire, presumably you have proof of the above claim?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 02:22 PM   #47
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why would there be airshows if they don't make a profit? Who could afford to put them on?
Old 24th August 2015, 02:25 PM   #48
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why would there be airshows if they don't make a profit? Who could afford to put them on?
Check it the gate does not pay for the fuel and the pilots wages .. never mind the payouts for unintentional deaths.
Old 24th August 2015, 02:33 PM   #49
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
The limits aren't the be-all and end all. If I drive down the motorway at 170mph I'm not safe just because my car can do 185. What's more pertinent are things like this:

Yes, one plane is not the same as a whole bunch of them but clearly there are significant concerns about the surrounding area.
Yes, funnily enough there is a huge difference between a single aircraft performing aerobatics, and multiple aircraft doing so in close formation.

Quote:
And if the risk factor is currently perfectly acceptable I wonder why the CAA would say:
A rather irrational knee-jerk pandering to PR.

Quote:
Irrelevant. Pilots will always make errors, old machinery will always fail. Hence, don't fly upside-down over busy roads.
It's now being suggested that the pilot was flying outside the area he should have been flying in. You make flying upside-down sound like playing Russian roulette with five bullets in the gun. It's not.

Quote:
Clearly it wasn't remote enough. You talk like the chances of a 60 year old plane flying upside down above a busy road then crashing are about the same as being hit by a meteor. Well, they're not. If the chances of a plane crashing was as minuscule as you make out there wouldn't be any regulations other than the plane's upkeep and pilot's experience.
There are a combination of factors that make fatal crashed rare, and fatal to people on the ground even more rare. To reiterate: These are the first fatalities on the ground at a UK airshow since 1952. More people on the ground have died as a result of result of military training,commercial airline, and private flying accidents. Maybe we should ban them, as well.

Quote:
As I already pointed out, there have been three fatal incidents this year and who knows how many crashes. When a single crash has the potential to kill dozens then it makes sense not to fly directly over people whilst performing stunts.
Existing restrictions mean they already don't fly over airshow crowds. What do you want, a five mile exclusion zone , or some other ridiculous measure to effectively put an end to these nasty dangerous airshows?

Quote:
So what are these freak combination of factors? What methods have you used to discount the possibility of a single factor? The upshot is, the point is moot. Had the plane not been flying above a road or inhabited area the disaster would not have happened. It's a simple concept.
That you fail to recognise the obvious combination of multiple factors doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Quote:
Wow, that's a revelation. I really did think that over 1700 people a year die as a result of air show crashes. That's my argument foiled, drat!
No, but it demonstrates your lack of perspective and undertsnding of relative risks.

Quote:
So anyway, it's easily solved. If as a result of this accident the regulations are examined and deemed satisfactory then I will come back on this thread and post that I must have been mistaken as to the risk factor as people more knowledgeable than me have deemed it safe. If, however, the regulations are tightened to involve further restrictions regarding flying over inhabited areas then I'm sure you'll be back and posting that your assessment of the risk factor was quite simply wrong. I'm sure you'll be amenable to this.
Which is pretty meaningless. Already tight restrictions resulted in 63 years without any fatalities on the ground at a UK airshow, whereas other countries with less stringent resgulations haven't been so lucky.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 24th August 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 24th August 2015, 02:37 PM   #50
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Check it the gate does not pay for the fuel and the pilots wages .. never mind the payouts for unintentional deaths.
Absolute bollocks. Most if not all airshows make a profit, and furthermore many donate those profits to charity. In the case of Shoreham, profits go to the Royal Air Forces Association.
Old 24th August 2015, 02:42 PM   #51
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

A lot of the air show stuff is voluntary
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 02:46 PM   #52
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Please explain I try to have an open mind ... the entertainment value is depreciated by the MILLIONS of dollars is costs (IMO) ... I can watch bulldozers and backhoes at constructions sites for free and it's JUST as entertain IMO
The "IMO" is the kicker here. I find airshows entertaining. Indeed it might almost be termed exciting, to hear and see. I don't find bulldozers and backhoes entertaining in the slightest. So what you're really saying is that you think they should be banned, because you don't find them entertaining enough. Yours is not a world I want to live in.

The cost in lives is absolutely minimal. Ten or twenty people killed in the last half a century in this country. Compared to the 700 or so that die every year falling down the stairs, that number barely registers.
Old 24th August 2015, 02:54 PM   #53
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

As has been pointed out, the pilots are often volunteers. In the case of the Red Arrows, they are RAF pilots, and I assume it is seen as a recruiting tool, or PR exercise.

The pilots want to preserve classic planes and display them, and the public want to see them. You want it banned because of a frankly trivial number of deaths (the number is trivial, of course, not the individual cases).
Old 24th August 2015, 03:26 PM   #54
baron

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Yes, funnily enough there is a huge difference between a single aircraft performing aerobatics, and multiple aircraft doing so in close formation.
A huge difference? Really? How many planes are going to crash at any one time? The Red Arrows didn't refuse to perform there on the basis that they might crash into each other, rather that the chance of any of them getting into difficulties was too high a risk to take due to the lack of safe landing areas.

A rather irrational knee-jerk pandering to PR.
So the CAA is irrational whereas you have the answers.

It's now being suggested that the pilot was flying outside the area he should have been flying in. You make flying upside-down sound like playing Russian roulette with five bullets in the gun. It's not.
No, flying upside down is perfectly safe, any fool can do it.

There are a combination of factors that make fatal crashed rare, and fatal to people on the ground even more rare. To reiterate: These are the first fatalities on the ground at a UK airshow since 1952. More people on the ground have died as a result of result of military training,commercial airline, and private flying accidents. Maybe we should ban them, as well.
Maybe you should be addressing someone else. I never mentioned banning air shows, in fact I said the opposite. Your arguments are becoming increasingly desperate.

Existing restrictions mean they already don't fly over airshow crowds. What do you want, a five mile exclusion zone , or some other ridiculous measure to effectively put an end to these nasty dangerous airshows?
A straw man with a little bit of hysteria thrown in. You really aren't sure of your position, are you, because if you were you'd be able to address what I actually said. I already told you my suggestion, it's there in black and white, and it does not involve five mile exclusion zones and it does not reference air show crowds.

And furthermore, do you really think it's a great idea to have plane performing aerobatics a couple of hundred feet above a busy road even if they don't crash? Do you not consider that this might be a distraction when driving at 70mph+? Or are a few deaths acceptable here too, as opposed to making some simple changes to make air shows safer?

That you fail to recognise the obvious combination of multiple factors doesn't mean they didn't exist.
You stated that this freak combination of factors exists. I asked you what these factors were. Clearly you're unable to tell me.

No, but it demonstrates your lack of perspective and undertsnding of relative risks.
What, your straw men demonstrates a failure of my understanding? Interesting.

Which is pretty meaningless. Already tight restrictions resulted in 63 years without any fatalities on the ground at a UK airshow, whereas other countries with less stringent resgulations haven't been so lucky.
No, I didn't think you'd be amenable to that suggestion. After all, the regulating bodies are irrational whereas you have got your finger on the pulse.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 03:34 PM   #55
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Would that also apply to actually flying a plane?

You're comment to flying this vintage plane "to it's limits" in off base. That maneuver was no where close to this planes limits.

Perhaps you should change your opinion to any aircraft instead of vintage.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 03:50 PM   #56
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Has anyone heard if the plane may have lost engine power ( flameout ) during the maneuver?
Old 24th August 2015, 04:12 PM   #57
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Would that also apply to actually flying a plane?

You're comment to flying this vintage plane "to it's limits" in off base. That maneuver was no where close to this planes limits.

Perhaps you should change your opinion to any aircraft instead of vintage.
How do you know the limits of a 60 year old second hand ex fighter?
Are they the same as a new one?
From the results it would seem it wasn't well within its limits.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 05:02 PM   #58
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How do you know the limits of a 60 year old second hand ex fighter?
Are they the same as a new one?
From the results it would seem it wasn't well within its limits.
Mostly from the maneuver itself. This "loop" is not really taxing at all. The loads are low as long as the pilots timing is right (as goes with a brand new aircraft).

The results do not show that it actually stressed the limit of the aircraft. Something obviously went wrong but, I've seen no evidence of failure on the aircraft part. If you have, by all means share.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 24th August 2015 at 05:04 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 05:17 PM   #59
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Presumably the 1988 Ramstein air show, when aircraft of the the Italian Air Force display team collided, resulting in 67 fatalities. This was during a manoeuvre towards the crowd. I believe that the manoeuvre would not have been allowed at a UK airshow in light of restrictions first introduced after the 1952 Farnborough crash.
The joke at the time was.....

Q: What the best thing about German Air shows.
A: Audience participation.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 05:20 PM   #60
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

I love how peopl who wouldn't know MC/I from Md2x/dt2 are telling us the limits of an airframe...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 11:10 PM   #61
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Has anyone heard if the plane may have lost engine power ( flameout ) during the maneuver?

There doesn't appear to be, based on my listening of the audio. But perhaps more experienced people can chime in.

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
The results do not show that it actually stressed the limit of the aircraft. Something obviously went wrong but, I've seen no evidence of failure on the aircraft part. If you have, by all means share.

From my armchair, the leading reason at this point seems pilot error. If one looks at the video the aircraft started its loop from what appears to be a fairly low altitude, and the pilot simply misjudged how much height he'd have remaining after the maneuver. It wouldn't be the first time of that sort of error occurring.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 11:12 PM   #62
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

CAA has grounded all Hunters and have banned vintage aircraft from performing aeronautics.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 11:29 PM   #63
uk_dave
Philosopher

Quote:
Vintage jets will not be allowed to perform "high-energy aerobatics" over land at air shows after the Shoreham crash, regulators have said.
The Civil Aviation Authority said such planes would be "limited to flypasts", and all Hawker Hunter jets have been temporarily grounded.
At least 11 people died after a Hawker Hunter crashed into traffic on the A27 in West Sussex on Saturday.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34044383
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 11:31 PM   #64
uk_dave
Philosopher

I wonder how this will affect....
Quote:
Our 2015 air show commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. The flying display will tell the story of RAF Duxford's pivotal role in this historic WW2 aerial battle.

Watch Spitfires flying in formation

Experience the spectacle of 20 Spitfires taking off from our historic airfield, flying in mass formation as they did in the Battle of Britain.

Feel the tension as we recreate a squadron scramble, with pilots running towards their waiting aircraft, and then witness Spitfires swooping in to chase off the enemy aircraft.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-dux...rsary-air-show
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 11:40 PM   #65
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uk_dave View Post
I wonder how this will affect....

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-dux...rsary-air-show
Should still be fine I imagine
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2015, 11:45 PM   #66
uk_dave
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Should still be fine I imagine
I hope so, I'm contemplating going.
Old 25th August 2015, 03:35 AM   #67
Information Analyst
Philosopher

A huge difference? Really? How many planes are going to crash at any one time? The Red Arrows didn't refuse to perform there on the basis that they might crash into each other, rather that the chance of any of them getting into difficulties was too high a risk to take due to the lack of safe landing areas.
Flying in close formation runs the risk of two or more aircraft colliding - even you acknowledge that. There is therefore a much greater risk with a formation team of aircraft (e.g. the Red Arrows) than a single aircraft (e.g. a Hawker Hunter). In fact, the very Daily Mail article you cited also says:

"An Royal Air Force source confirmed to MailOnline that Shoreham would be unsuitable for a Red Arrow display.

He said: 'It is not a large enough space for the Red Arrows. An aircraft like the Hunter doesn't need a large space. If it was big enough we would not refuse.' "

Funny how you ignored that bit.

Quote:
So the CAA is irrational whereas you have the answers.
Grounding the Hunters until they determine if there was a potentially repeatable mechanical problem is sensible enough. Banning all jet aerobatics is an over-reaction in the face of the first incident of this type in 63 years.

Quote:
You do realise that virtually all of those who do this sort of thing are ex-military and/or professional pilots who practice rigorously?

Quote:
Maybe you should be addressing someone else. I never mentioned banning air shows, in fact I said the opposite. Your arguments are becoming increasingly desperate.
No, you just want restrictions that will effecively ban many of them.

Quote:
And furthermore, do you really think it's a great idea to have plane performing aerobatics a couple of hundred feet above a busy road even if they don't crash? Do you not consider that this might be a distraction when driving at 70mph+? Or are a few deaths acceptable here too, as opposed to making some simple changes to make air shows safer?
Presumably you would have a citation for any deaths attributable to that cause? I won't hold my breath, of course...

Quote:
You stated that this freak combination of factors exists. I asked you what these factors were. Clearly you're unable to tell me.
Well, since you are incapable of working them out yourself, in the first instance there is the fact that the road is angled in relation to the runway and also the direction the aircraft (which in itself appears to be angled away from the runway, possible outside of the display box). As I already said, a second or two either want on the actual flightpath, and the aircraft would have either hit the ground before it reached the road, or overshot it. Similarly, if the flightpath had been a couple of degrees either way, and impact at the same point in time would almost certainly have overshot or fallen short.

It's still not clear whether the pilot came out of the loop too low, and if so way, or why he was unable to recover the aircraft even at the level it was. The sudden downwards motion of the aircraft is also currently unexplained. We don't know if this was pilot error, pilot confusion, a bird strike, or a mechanical issue.
Old 25th August 2015, 03:49 AM   #68
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, the fan boys like to get off to their jets. A dozen innocent deaths every few decades is a small price to pay.
Old 25th August 2015, 03:53 AM   #69
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Hey, the fan boys like to get off to their jets. A dozen innocent deaths every few decades is a small price to pay.
Dozen?

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
Old 25th August 2015, 04:04 AM   #70
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

I'm not sure I understand the tone of this. A larger number of people are killed at funfairs, but nobody seems to be calling for the banning of those.
Old 25th August 2015, 04:51 AM   #71
Information Analyst
Philosopher

No, 11 deaths on the ground in 63 years. Out of hundreds of airshows, and thousands of flying hours.

Meanwhile, 24,500 people have been killed on Britains roads in the last ten years alone, and around 1,600 in our coastal waters in the same time period. Around 30 people die each year in non-commercial air accidents. The fatality rate for motorcycles is around 5-6 times that of light aircraft.

There is some serious lack of perspective being shown in this thread.

Funnily enough, the CAA previously reported:

"Air displays are claimed to be the second most popular spectator activity in the UK after football with 6.5m people reportedly attending displays in 2002."

Last edited by Information Analyst; 25th August 2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 25th August 2015, 04:52 AM   #72
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I'm not sure I understand the tone of this. A larger number of people are killed at funfairs, but nobody seems to be calling for the banning of those.
It's the Tryanny of I Don't Like It.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 25th August 2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 25th August 2015, 05:49 AM   #73
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's the Tyranny of I Don't Like It.
As opposed to the false equivalence of other forms of death that are always trotted out.

I am sure the two footballers on their way to a match were expecting to be hit by someone playing around in an old jet. We accept the risks of driving on roads as there is a distinct benefit to ourselves. Being hit by an old airoplane when the man who was showing off for people got it wrong isn't usually a factor in a decision to drive somewhere.
Old 25th August 2015, 06:13 AM   #74
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

As opposed to the false equivalence of other forms of death that are always trotted out.
Always? Like they have been on every previous occasion that an airshow accident has killed someone on the ground?
Old 25th August 2015, 06:25 AM   #75
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Assessing relative risks is quite popular here, e.g. it's why we know that vaccines are a benefit compared to the diseases they protect against. The risks of someone on the ground being killed due to an airshow crash are infinitesimally smaller. Certainly far lower than the risk of a hapless pedestrian being mown down by a vehicle mounting the pavement.

Quote:
I am sure the two footballers on their way to a match were expecting to be hit by someone playing around in an old jet. We accept the risks of driving on roads as there is a distinct benefit to ourselves. Being hit by an old airoplane when the man who was showing off for people got it wrong isn't usually a factor in a decision to drive somewhere.
Even though the risks of dying in an RTA are far far far far far higher than being hit by any aircraft, vintage or otherwise? I'm sure the dead in this crash were so relieved to have been killed by tumbling APCs, rather than falling aircraft.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 25th August 2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 25th August 2015, 06:44 AM   #76
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I saw the smoke plume when that Vulcan crashed up in Glenview here near Chicago. And that wasn't during acrobatics or even where the show was; He was just landing at the NAS.
Old 25th August 2015, 07:10 AM   #77
baron

Flying in close formation runs the risk of two or more aircraft colliding - even you acknowledge that. There is therefore a much greater risk with a formation team of aircraft (e.g. the Red Arrows) than a single aircraft (e.g. a Hawker Hunter). In fact, the very Daily Mail article you cited also says:

"An Royal Air Force source confirmed to MailOnline that Shoreham would be unsuitable for a Red Arrow display.

He said: 'It is not a large enough space for the Red Arrows. An aircraft like the Hunter doesn't need a large space. If it was big enough we would not refuse.' "

Funny how you ignored that bit.
I didn't ignore it, I linked to the very article you quoted. The point is, the Red Arrows stated that the surrounding area offered no safe place to land if a plane got into trouble.

Grounding the Hunters until they determine if there was a potentially repeatable mechanical problem is sensible enough. Banning all jet aerobatics is an over-reaction in the face of the first incident of this type in 63 years.
So the CAA are over-reacting as well as acting illogically. You seem to have no respect for one group of professionals but place almost religious faith in the other.

You do realise that virtually all of those who do this sort of thing are ex-military and/or professional pilots who practice rigorously?
Is this the professional who another veteran pilot describes as a 'complete lunatic' and a show-off?

Quote:
The guy must have been a complete lunatic to come in at 100ft and think he could pull out of it (the loop) safely.

'This guy, I think simply he was just showing off.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...own-100ft.html

No, you just want restrictions that will effecively ban many of them.
If a restriction against flying over inhabited areas and a prohibition against people who fly like lunatics would put an end to air shows, well, boo hoo.

Presumably you would have a citation for any deaths attributable to that cause? I won't hold my breath, of course...
You want evidence that being distracted by an airplane flying upside down 100ft above your head whilst driving at 70mph is dangerous? Here's hoping you don't drive, for your own and everybody else's safety.

Well, since you are incapable of working them out yourself, in the first instance there is the fact that the road is angled in relation to the runway and also the direction the aircraft (which in itself appears to be angled away from the runway, possible outside of the display box). As I already said, a second or two either want on the actual flightpath, and the aircraft would have either hit the ground before it reached the road, or overshot it. Similarly, if the flightpath had been a couple of degrees either way, and impact at the same point in time would almost certainly have overshot or fallen short.
And if that car had pulled out a second later as I drove along the road at 170mph it wouldn't have been a problem. If this, if that, with no concern for the facts.

It's still not clear whether the pilot came out of the loop too low, and if so way, or why he was unable to recover the aircraft even at the level it was. The sudden downwards motion of the aircraft is also currently unexplained. We don't know if this was pilot error, pilot confusion, a bird strike, or a mechanical issue.
We don't, no, but one thing we do know is that if he'd been flying over fields or the sea there would have been a maximum of one fatality.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2015, 07:38 AM   #78
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I didn't ignore it, I linked to the very article you quoted. The point is, the Red Arrows stated that the surrounding area offered no safe place to land if a plane got into trouble.
That is totally not what the official source said.

Quote:
Is this the professional who another veteran pilot describes as a 'complete lunatic' and a show-off?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...own-100ft.html
So one pilot finds him at fault, while another quoted in theame pilot doesn't. Even if the former is 100% right (I've already said that the aircraft seems to have been outside the area it shoudl have been in), then this is a mattert of not adhering to the current restrictions, not that those restrictions aren't tight enough. After all, we don't ban all cars because of the huge number of drivers who do so drunk or who fall asleep at the wheel, do we?

Quote:
You want evidence that being distracted by an airplane flying upside down 100ft above your head whilst driving at 70mph is dangerous? Here's hoping you don't drive, for your own and everybody else's safety.
Failure to produce citations for any such distraction noted.

Quote:
We don't, no, but one thing we do know is that if he'd been flying over fields or the sea there would have been a maximum of one fatality.
You must have a real barrel of laughs sitting at home and not doing anything even remotely risky.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 25th August 2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 25th August 2015, 08:05 AM   #79
baron

That is totally not what the official source said.
Really?

Quote:
The Royal Air Force display team has declined requests to appear at the show, even though it is organised by the Royal Air Forces Association, because the surrounding area is too built up, with insufficient room for aircraft to crash-land in an emergency.

One former air show promoter said the Red Arrows regarded the site as dangerous because “any accident would be a disaster there – there is nowhere for them to put a plane down without killing someone”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...on-flying.html

So one pilot finds him at fault, while another quoted in theame pilot doesn't. Even if the former is 100% right (I've already said that the aircraft seems to have been outside the area it shoudl have been in), then this is a mattert of not adhering to the current restrictions, not that those restrictions aren't tight enough. After all, we don't ban all cars because of the huge number of drivers who do so drunk or who fall asleep at the wheel, do we?
Here you go, talking about bans again. No, we don't ban cars because of drunk drivers but it's interesting that after defending the pilot and calling him a top-of-his-game professional, you're now equating him to a drunk driver as the facts begin to emerge.

Failure to produce citations for any such distraction noted.
Don't embarrass yourself any more on this point, I'm beginning to feel bad for you.

You must have a real barrel of laughs sitting at home and not doing anything even remotely risky.
And I suppose you're posting whilst hanging from one hand on the Trango Towers. A bit of death don't scare you none, sheeeeet.
Old 25th August 2015, 08:43 AM   #80
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Really?

Quote:
The Royal Air Force display team has declined requests to appear at the show, even though it is organised by the Royal Air Forces Association, because the surrounding area is too built up, with insufficient room for aircraft to crash-land in an emergency.

One former air show promoter said the Red Arrows regarded the site as dangerous because “any accident would be a disaster there – there is nowhere for them to put a plane down without killing someone”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...on-flying.html
Try again. That's not any official source, but rather your anonymous "former air show promoter."

The Mail quoted an actual official source:

He's talking about the area needed to perform a multi-aircraft display in, as opposes to a single aircraft. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Here you go, talking about bans again. No, we don't ban cars because of drunk drivers but it's interesting that after defending the pilot and calling him a top-of-his-game professional, you're now equating him to a drunk driver as the facts begin to emerge.
Lots of people have been quoted about the proficiency of the pilot, others have questioned what he did on the day. I also mentioned falling asleep at the wheel, but obviously you prefer to jump on the more extreme alternative. The bottom line is that these are the first ground fatalities at a UK airshow for 63 years, which in terms of risk is absolutely minuscule. It's a tragedy for those actually killed and their families, but they pale into comparison with everyday risks that you don't noticed because your normalised to them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events