ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:57 AM   #281
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The biggest objection is voting (and choosing not to vote) is an act of expression. Forced voting is compelled speech by government and a restriction on expression. I generally don't think the government should do that.
There are almost always cost benefit tradeoffs in decisions. Be flogging a dead horse to go over these again for mine. You seem to be leaving us hanging with your final sentence - “I dont generally dont think the government should because...”
Old 6th November 2018, 06:01 AM   #282
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
There are almost always cost benefit tradeoffs in decisions. Be flogging a dead horse to go over these again for mine. You seem to be leaving us hanging with your final sentence - “I dont generally dont think the government should because...”
My views are deontological. There would be no cost or benefit that would make it acceptable. Just as there is no amount of benefit that could justify a policy of comfort women.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 09:25 AM   #283
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Australia: You should do mandatory voting like we do!..........!
From the OP:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
...........The headline is a little misleading, since no-one here is telling America how to fix its voting system.......
Not sure why you quoted me to make that point. I'm a Brit. I've never voted in Oz.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 09:47 AM   #284
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Not sure why you quoted me to make that point. I'm a Brit. I've never voted in Oz.
That's even worse, you're berating Americans for not doing as the Australians do when you don't do it that way either!
Old 6th November 2018, 10:23 AM   #285
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That's even worse, you're berating Americans for not doing as the Australians do when you don't do it that way either!
I thought that MikeG was berating theprestige for saying that this is not the American way.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:34 AM   #286
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You've made this mistake before: thinking I am making a general point, when my post was directed extremely specifically.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 10:41 AM   #287
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I don't think it's baffling at all, given that most polling stations are manned by volunteers. If a country is full of people who think only of "me, me, me", as evidenced by theprestige's interminable repetition of that priniciple, and who apparently hold civic responsibility in contempt (again, the evidence comes from the prestige), then how on earth would you find enough volunteers to man polling stations?
Yes, the report I referenced earlier said that the US authorities had an uphill struggle getting volunteers to man polling places. However, given that it seems that they're open for the better part of a week, that's hardly surprising. America really seems to have made some terrible choices that have probably made the whole voting process worse, rather than better.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 6th November 2018 at 11:30 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 11:29 AM   #288
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Australia: You should do mandatory voting like we do!
America: No thanks, we don't want to.
Australia: You arrogant bastards, stop telling us how to run our country! MOM! America's being imperialist!
That seems like a complete inversion of how this debate has actually gone.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 05:01 PM   #289
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Democracy doesn't work without active participation."
- Alyssa Milano, just now.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:22 PM   #290
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

My views are deontological. There would be no cost or benefit that would make it acceptable. Just as there is no amount of benefit that could justify a policy of comfort women.
That’s nice. If you feel like it, go ahead and frame your freedomz vs compulsory voting in the contemporary Australian comtext argument in deontological terms.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:31 PM   #291
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That’s nice. If you feel like it, go ahead and frame your freedomz vs compulsory voting in the contemporary Australian comtext argument in deontological terms.
The problem with deontological arguments is simple: who decides? Deontological arguments are by definition arbitrary. And they are therefore worthless and without practical value.

Bob's deontological argument takes the form "mandatory voting is inherently wrong because I say it's wrong." You can't discuss or argue against that. It's like arguing with a solipsist.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:37 PM   #292
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Australia: You should do mandatory voting like we do!
America: No thanks, we don't want to.
Australia: You arrogant bastards, stop telling us how to run our country! MOM! America's being imperialist!
Trump’s America is clearly in no position to lecture on democracy or how to run elections. Being told we are doing it wrong by Americans is laughable.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:40 PM   #293
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The problem with deontological arguments is simple: who decides? Deontological arguments are by definition arbitrary. And they are therefore worthless and without practical value.

Bob's deontological argument takes the form "mandatory voting is inherently wrong because I say it's wrong." You can't discuss or argue against that. It's like arguing with a solipsist.
Meanwhile a lot of our arguments have been ones based on a shared feeling of duty that overides, or even bonds with, a minor imposition/duty and compulsion.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:42 PM   #294
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Trump’s America is clearly in no position to lecture on democracy or how to run elections. Being told we are doing it wrong by Americans is laughable.
Yeah, because

is America telling Australia it's doing it wrong.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:55 PM   #295
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yeah, because

Right, when the article was really, “America has a look at how Australians do things [while fishing for solutions to our broken system].” Arth trolled.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:57 PM   #296
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, because

As I explained in the OP, the NYT's headline is misleading. That's why I didn't use the NYT headline as the title of the thread. There is nothing in the article that consists of either country telling either that they're doing it wrong.

Most of the "you're doing it wrong" rhetoric has come from theprestige, who has expended a great deal of effort making sure we understand that it's important to him that he is able to express the fact that he doesn't give a ****.
Old 6th November 2018, 06:45 PM   #297
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Meanwhile a lot of our arguments have been ones based on a shared feeling of duty that overides, or even bonds with, a minor imposition/duty and compulsion.

When I was handing out cards and as a scrutineer, during quiet times (in smaller booths, this would be quite often after the early morning rush especially in the days when the booths did not close till 8:00PM), all of us from every party would get together and just chat for a while, find out about each others interests and lives, and discuss just about any subject that we could think of. No animosity, just people with a common purpose having a good time doing something we enjoyed.

Some people seem innocent of this sort of attitude.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 6th November 2018 at 06:47 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 06:56 PM   #298
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

As I explained in the OP, the NYT's headline is misleading.
The title of the article is "How Compulsory Voting Works: Australians Explain" which seems less misleading than "Australia Tells America: Here’s How to Fix Your Voting System".
Old 6th November 2018, 07:11 PM   #299
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The title of the article is "How Compulsory Voting Works: Australians Explain" which seems less misleading than "Australia Tells America: Here’s How to Fix Your Voting System".
I notice that the article now bears a banner that reads This story was updated on Nov. 5, 2018. This is after I made the OP in this thread. The headline has been changed since I posted it, probably because it was pretty darn misleading.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:51 PM   #300
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The biggest objection is voting (and choosing not to vote) is an act of expression. Forced voting is compelled speech by government and a restriction on expression. I generally don't think the government should do that.
You forget that nobody is forced to cast a valid vote. You don't even have to fill out the ballot paper (just put it in the box) so there is no restriction on expression.

It is a minor inconvenience having to trudge to the polling booth every year or so and it certainly is a limitation on freedom of choice. However, (especially compared to other ways the government attacks our liberty) it is not a serious enough issue to warrant any chest beating over.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:01 PM   #301
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You forget that nobody is forced to cast a valid vote. You don't even have to fill out the ballot paper (just put it in the box) so there is no restriction on expression.

It is a minor inconvenience having to trudge to the polling booth every year or so and it certainly is a limitation on freedom of choice. However, (especially compared to other ways the government attacks our liberty) it is not a serious enough issue to warrant any chest beating over.
Especially since, as has been pointed out several times in this thread, it really does work very well indeed.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:01 PM   #302
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Not putting something in the box is an act of expression.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 10:06 PM   #303
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's literally not. It's not an act at all, of expression or anything else.

Why should anyone pay attention to someone who chooses not to express an opinion?
Old 6th November 2018, 10:07 PM   #304
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

What does it express? Your disgust or disdain with the range and/or policies of candidates? Your laziness? Missed the bus? Forgot? How does not voting carry that expression you wish to convey to the government?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 10:10 PM   #305
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Especially since, as has been pointed out several times in this thread, it really does work very well indeed.
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What does it express? Your disgust or disdain with the range and/or policies of candidates? Your laziness? Missed the bus? Forgot? How does not voting carry that expression you wish to convey to the government?
It can express all those things. There isnt a requirement that the target of the message has to receive to be expression. I can paint as many paintings and never release them. I'm still engaged in an act of expression.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:16 PM   #306
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

It can express all those things. There isnt a requirement that the target of the message has to receive to be expression. I can paint as many paintings and never release them. I'm still engaged in an act of expression.
If a vote is never cast in a forest and nobody hears it fall, is it still a vote?

Sure, you can sit at home and rage at the TV. That's expression, sure. But the TV doesn't (usually) make your laws and provide your services.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 10:42 PM   #307
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

So is not going to the polling booth.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:45 PM   #308
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Which I'm saying people shouldn't be forced to do.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:58 PM   #309
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

I suspect your definition of "forced" and ours vary on this subject.
Old 6th November 2018, 11:09 PM   #310
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I have already dealt with that aspect (post #315). It's not a big enough issue in Australia to make a song and dance out of.

Last edited by psionl0; 6th November 2018 at 11:11 PM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 11:12 PM   #311
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have already dealt with that aspect (post #315). It's not a big enough issue in Australia to make a song and dance out of.
I don't find any inconvenience acceptable on this issue. You certainly didn't address me.

Forced inserting a blank ballot is forced expression.
Old 6th November 2018, 11:47 PM   #312
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

And your argument is that being forced to do so amounts to compelled speech, but if going to the polling booth and not voting is also compelled speech (as you say), then so does not being forced to do so: not going to the polling booth and not voting is as much a form of expression as going to the polling booth and not voting.

So, why don't you object to all democratic elections on the grounds that they amount to compelled speech?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 11:49 PM   #313
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

can we start with the premise that it is reasonable to conclude that free speech is morally good? Because to get there takes an extremely long time.
Of course not. We might agree that free speech is usually a good thing, but to define is as axiomatically good is ridiculous.

If you have an argument that shows that free speech is always good, then make it.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:00 AM   #314
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Instead of allowing Bob to direct this thread off in the direction he wants to take it, why don't you ask him if he has anything to say on the matter of Australia's voting system? This isn't a general thread about philosophy and free speech.
Well, to be fair I think everything that needed saying about Australia's voting system has been said. All the objections to it seem, to me, to have been addressed, so entertaining Bob's philosophical arguments isn't really going to distract us from more meaningful discussion.

Unless theprestige comes back and replies to the criticisms of his viewpoint, anyway.
Isaac Asimov
Old 7th November 2018, 02:24 AM   #315
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I don't find any inconvenience acceptable on this issue. You certainly didn't address me.

Forced inserting a blank ballot is forced expression.
You live in a society with many rules and obligations required for its smooth functioning, even in America that land of the free. Voting in Australia, as has been well described here, is a minor imposition for even the grumpiest curmudgeon.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 7th November 2018 at 02:26 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 05:17 AM   #316
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
And your argument is that being forced to do so amounts to compelled speech, but if going to the polling booth and not voting is also compelled speech (as you say), then so does not being forced to do so: not going to the polling booth and not voting is as much a form of expression as going to the polling booth and not voting.

So, why don't you object to all democratic elections on the grounds that they amount to compelled speech?
I do object to that. I regularly come out against democracy here
Old 7th November 2018, 05:20 AM   #317
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You live in a society with many rules and obligations required for its smooth functioning, even in America that land of the free. Voting in Australia, as has been well described here, is a minor imposition for even the grumpiest curmudgeon.
I'm saying smooth functioning society is not sufficient justification for the imposition.
Old 7th November 2018, 05:58 AM   #318
3point14
Pi

Yeah, because

Published in that popular mouthpiece of the Australian people, The New York Times.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 06:01 AM   #319
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post

You convinced me. Since we voting is expression, you are right that it is a right violation for the government to prevent people from casting more than one vote.

See, minds can be changed here.
Old 7th November 2018, 09:37 AM   #320
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I'm saying smooth functioning society is not sufficient justification for the imposition.
Oh well. Most of us do. Maybe one day while muching on a sausage sanga on a Saturday after voting someone will put two and two together about this unjustifiable imposition on our freedomz. Might take a while though becuause your sentence above looks absolutely bizarre accross the cultural chasm.

And by the way. Your Kantian ethics seems to have fallen off and you have gone all Jeremy Bentham on us.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events