ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political predictions , prediction thread , predictions

View Poll Results: Where will Trump be two years from now?
Dead 6 5.36%
In prison 12 10.71%
Impeached 11 9.82%
Voted out 52 46.43%
Reelected 22 19.64%
Planet X 9 8.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st January 2019, 02:08 PM   #41
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I suppose the Ecuadorian embassy is out now that they expect their guests to clean up after themselves.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:17 PM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I do so hope Mueller is just waiting for the new Congress to settle in before he releases that report.
Old 1st January 2019, 06:46 PM   #43
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I suppose the Ecuadorian embassy is out now that they expect their guests to clean up after themselves.
Especially since his fixer, Cohen, isn't there to clean up after him anymore.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 08:49 PM   #44
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

I picked voted out, but it's probably about 50/50 between that and reelected.

He should be impeached and/or in prison, but of course that isn't going to happen.

Dead is too unpredictable. Trump is old, and doesn't look in good health. The stress of the Presidency can finish a man off, but honestly I doubt Trump finds being President particularly stressful most of the time. Or at least, no more than his life before it.

Last edited by Seismosaurus; 1st January 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Seismosaurus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:00 PM   #45
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
I picked voted out, but it's probably about 50/50 between that and reelected.

He should be impeached and/or in prison, but of course that isn't going to happen.

Dead is too unpredictable. Trump is old, and doesn't look in good health. The stress of the Presidency can finish a man off, but honestly I doubt Trump finds being President particularly stressful most of the time. Or at least, no more than his life before it.
He is probably far more stressed about having his tax returns made public which would expose he is not a billionaire at all. He is also probably stressed at the prospect of his base finally realising he is a lazy, lying con-artist and grifter. Because they will TURN so hard! And then who will he have to sell his shonky steaks and real estate academies to!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:54 PM   #46
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I cannot believe that this man will not die of a stroke before the end of his term.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:18 AM   #47
AnonyMoose
Muse

There's no sense in playing the denial game with wishful thinking....

The world will be stuck with Conald Twittler for another six years.

The only glimmer of hope is that Mueller will mop the floor with him. But let's face it, the odds are stacked against Mueller from accomplishing any criminal charges against a sitting president. And I have zero faith in the American people to pull their collective heads out of their asses.

Thus, Trump will be reelected in 2020.
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:54 AM   #48
Donal
Illuminator

I really don't see a point on betting on impeachment. If it looks like Mueller is about to drop a huge bombshell, Stupid will fire him and declare the whole thing "Super duper classified" (yes, he will invent that specific version). Even if the really damning stuff leaks out and has Stupid on tape agreeing to work with a foreign state, adjusting policy, and then firing investigators to cover it up, and the HoR votes to impeach, the Republicans in the senate will not remove him from office. They are either compromised themselves, too scared of the domestic terrorists in the base, or both. No matter how tough they might talk about rule of law, they will get in line

A failed impeachment attempt will only play out in the media as typical partisan squabbling. It may actually help his re-election bid.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:57 AM   #49
carlitos
"más divertido"

As there was no "Dacha on the Black Sea" option I selected Planet X.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:02 AM   #50
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
In a supermax prison for life. Bubba's bitch. Bankrupt. Ruined. Melania writes the biggest tell-all book of all time.
I sure do hope that things actually do work out that way.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:26 AM   #51
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I cannot believe that this man will not die of a stroke before the end of his term.
Keep Hope Alive!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:35 AM   #52
Iamafalser
Scholar

As of today: 75/25 re-elected/voted out.

His RCP average approval held in the low 40s over 2018 which is about average for presidents and currently bodes well for his re-election.
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:51 AM   #53
BillC
Bazooka Joe

I'm guessing resigned just before his term is up, having secured a promise of pardon from President-to-be Pence.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:52 AM   #54
Donal
Illuminator

His disapproval rating is also well over 50%.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:55 AM   #55
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I'm guessing resigned just before his term is up, having secured a promise of pardon from President-to-be Pence.
It would be funny if Mueller actually nails Pence first and the Senate Republicans are too ashamed to confirm Jared as VP. Can a sitting VP be indicted?
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:03 AM   #56
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I don't really see "Planet X" as a joke response as fleeing to exile to evade jail seems like a remote possibility. Hiding Trump in Russia, safe from extradition, could be one last poke in the eye to America from Putin.
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:45 PM   #57
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

See, if he had any sort of self-awareness whatsoever, he would blanket pardon all of his children including Jared and then immediately resign.

But that would require him to be able to understand basic human decency and that's just never going to happen.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:37 PM   #58
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
As of today: 75/25 re-elected/voted out.

His RCP average approval held in the low 40s over 2018 which is about average for presidents and currently bodes well for his re-election.
You will need to provide evidence for this, tovarich.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:01 AM   #59
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
It would be funny if Mueller actually nails Pence first and the Senate Republicans are too ashamed to confirm Jared as VP. Can a sitting VP be indicted?
It isn't even clear that a sitting president can't be indicted. Nothing in the Constitution states anything about this. I see no reason why a VP couldn't be.

Quote:
Legal experts are divided on that question. The Supreme Court has never ruled on whether the president can be indicted or whether the president can be subpoenaed for testimony.

The Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel, which provides legal advice and guidance to executive branch agencies, has maintained that a sitting president cannot be indicted. Two Justice Department reports, one in 1973 and one in 2000, came to the same conclusion.
https://www.boston.com/news/politics...hile-in-office

I predict that if the Mueller Report exposes truly egregious criminal wrongdoing, there will be a challenge to the DOJ's opinion. I also think this is exactly why Trump nominated Kavanaugh who made known his opposition to indicting a sitting president.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:39 AM   #60
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

He'll be re-elected.
Hindsight 2020!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:39 AM   #61
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
He'll be re-elected.
Hindsight 2020!
Only if this country has completely lost its mind.
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:05 AM   #62
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Only if this country has completely lost its mind.
Ahem. Donald Trump is the President.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:27 AM   #63
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Ahem. Donald Trump is the President.
Hey, most American voters didn’t vote for him.
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:57 AM   #64
Tero
Graduate Poster

Mar-a-Lago, golfing, with ankle monitor.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:41 PM   #65
mgidm86
Philosopher

Dammit! That was expensive champagne you just made me spit out my nose.
(shakes fist in the air)
12:00 am, drinking champagne on New Years, and you're checking in here?

This forum is definitely a sick addiction because I know I wouldn't still be here if it weren't. I hate this place!
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:25 PM   #66
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Guessing seems kind of ridiculous to me since it seems as if the one thing we can count on with Trump is the unexpected.
Yep, predictions regarding Trump seem even more futile than most predictions.

Quote:
Still, I'm inclined to believe that enough evidence will be found to persuade Republicans that they have had enough of Trump and that continued support of Mr. Looney Tunes is not in their best interest.

But unless there is proof of criminality that points directly at Trump beyond obstruction, I think he will simply be voted out of office.
I give it 60% chance he does not win re-election some of that 60% because there's a chance he won't run again and some of it because he may just not win if he does. I highly doubt he will be impeach and its even less probably that he will be convicted if impeached.

That being said, if Mueller finds solid evidence that Trump committed a crime during the campaign, my above prediction is totally wrong.

I think that most of the republican leadership knows that trump is poison in the long run but to mix metaphors, they have a tiger by the tale and if they let go, all his supporters are going to eat them for lunch.

Side note, I'd probably be more willing to vote for him now than prior to his election. He hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected. We aren't in recession yet and we aren't in any new wars. The new wars thing is a vast improvement over his last two predecessors.

Last edited by ahhell; 3rd January 2019 at 02:27 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:32 PM   #67
Tero
Graduate Poster

Impeachment is removal from office. It is not a legal matter, a state matter to decide if the president is unfit. He has been unfit from Day 1.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:39 PM   #68
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Impeachment is removal from office. It is not a legal matter, a state matter to decide if the president is unfit. He has been unfit from Day 1.
This is oddly wrong. Impeachment is the process by which a legislature indicts or levels charges against a public official. If impeached, the official may be removed from office but impeachment is not actually removal from office. As shown by the fact that Bill Clinton was impeached however, he remained in office afterward.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:50 PM   #69
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

No Lee Harvey Oswald option? Planet X, where wishful thinkers go for recovery.

Or quite possibly reelected. The Democrats are likely to soon alienate those who've tentatively come over, being the loose thinkers they are. No counter-punching skills, sloppy optics, bad teamwork, rarely on point, wishful and impractical thinking... everything you might expect in genuine democracy... just not good enough to beat a Goebbels 2.0 operation.
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:17 PM   #70
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This is oddly wrong. Impeachment is the process by which a legislature indicts or levels charges against a public official. If impeached, the official may be removed from office but impeachment is not actually removal from office. As shown by the fact that Bill Clinton was impeached however, he remained in office afterward.
Its whatever the body doing the impeachment decides.

“You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job (as president) in this constitutional republic if this body determines your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role,” Graham says of Clinton in the nearly 20-year-old clip.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...217126395.html

I wonder if he'll hold to those words.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:09 PM   #71
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

This forum is definitely a sick addiction because I know I wouldn't still be here if it weren't. I hate this place!
I gave up partying on NY's Eve years ago. Too many damn drunks on the road and yes, this place is addictive.
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:13 PM   #72
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post

“You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job (as president) in this constitutional republic if this body determines your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role,” Graham says of Clinton in the nearly 20-year-old clip.

Put the bong down and step away.
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:09 PM   #73
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Thanks for narrowing down your own location for us. I'll pass that along to the Deep State.

Do you know that Stacyhs is in your time zone? Do you know that the software reports posts in "your" time and not the local time of the poster? Do you know that I'm posting from tomorrow?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:06 PM   #74
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Put the bong down and step away.
"Takes a hit"... I think he might but *cough* not because he's good or moral, but because he wants to run for prez.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:12 PM   #75
Stacyhs
Philosopher

"Takes a hit"... I think he might but *cough* not because he's good or moral, but because he wants to run for prez.
Graham changes position than often than the Kama Sutra.
Old 4th January 2019, 04:04 PM   #76
ahhell
Master Poster

Someone on the internet disagrees with me so....

Also wrong. A president or any other official of the federal government can be impeached for any reason the house deems, true. Then the Senate gets to decide whether that official is removed from office. In the US federal government this can be done for any reason as you suggest, rules are probably more clear in other jurisdiction but the congress could clarify what sort of behavior warrants or does not warrant impeachment via law by defining "high crimes and misdemeanors". The impeachment is still just the leveling of charges not removal from office as was suggested in the post I was responding too earlier.

Its a pedantic point, I admit. Impeachment is to removal from office as indictment is to conviction.

Originally Posted by Tero View Post

Last edited by ahhell; 4th January 2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 4th January 2019, 04:07 PM   #77
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Hey, most American voters didn’t vote for him.
Yes, but you could also say that about every American president in history (probably - I haven't checked).
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:37 PM   #78
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
And if his term gets shortened it will be because he steps down, Nixon style. And he won't be in prison in two years, not with the lawyers his money will buy. 5 years maybe.
It's not about his money (well...) but his judgement. He'll pick a lawyer who doesn't have the spine to tell him the most important piece of advice "Just shut the F up..." I mean look at his current history with the lawyers, I'd hardly dexcribe them as winners
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:55 PM   #79
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
It's not about his money (well...) but his judgement. He'll pick a lawyer who doesn't have the spine to tell him the most important piece of advice "Just shut the F up..." I mean look at his current history with the lawyers, I'd hardly dexcribe them as winners
Are you actually suggesting that Giuliani isn't a winner?
Old 4th January 2019, 07:57 PM   #80
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

I think he'll be in the bathroom doing lines of Adderall and 'shrooming a porn star.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics