ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 09:31 AM   #121
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Well, that and the idea that two white racists would walk around wearing ski masks, carrying bleach and a noose, in the streets of a big city, without being seen by another living soul, just in case they bumped into a famous black man.

It's got everything but a burning cross.
Quote:
Contrary to widespread reports that the alleged attackers were white, Smollett has not identified the attackers by race because the men were masked and wore gloves, according to police.
http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/01/up...-turn-off.html
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:32 AM   #122
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Photos here showing the location of the claimed attack and also some selfies taken earlier in the evening. It could be debated whether his face was already "swollen" when he was on the plane.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-week-ago.html
Old 30th January 2019, 09:40 AM   #123
baron

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
OK, I'll revise that.

Well, that and the idea that two racists (who might have been black or white or a 50/50 combo) would walk around wearing ski masks and gloves, carrying bleach and a length of clothes line, in the streets of a big city, without being seen by another living soul, just in case they bumped into a famous black man.

It's got everything but a burning cross.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:40 AM   #124
The Big Dog

No one will ever be arrested.

Chicago takes a major black eye

Oh well
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:44 AM   #125
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

would walk around wearing ski masks and gloves
I will say that wearing ski masks and gloves in 5 degree Fahrenheit temperature is intelligent and exactly what your mother would have told you to do.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:57 AM   #126
baron

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I will say that wearing ski masks and gloves in 5 degree Fahrenheit temperature is intelligent and exactly what your mother would have told you to do.
Gloves, maybe. Ski masks? Is that a thing in the US (when people aren't skiing?)
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:59 AM   #127
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Gloves, maybe. Ski masks? Is that a thing in the US (when people aren't skiing?)
Do people not cover their face in -50 wind chill where you live?

Right now Chicago is under a "Near instant frostbite on exposed skin" warning. I doubt it was balmy a couple of nights ago.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:01 AM   #128
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's not common but it can be seen. They are brilliant protection from bitter cold. The big danger is exposed skin. The ultimate would be ski mask and goggles.
Old 30th January 2019, 10:09 AM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Do people not cover their face in -50 wind chill where you live?

Right now Chicago is under a "Near instant frostbite on exposed skin" warning. I doubt it was balmy a couple of nights ago.
How did the attackers recognize Smollett, if he was wearing his ski mask (as we reasonably assume everyone does, in such weather)?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:19 AM   #130
Matthew Best
Philosopher

How do we know they recognised him? Did he claim that they did?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:25 AM   #131
baron

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Apparently they said, "Aren't you that faggot 'Empire' ******?" artfully combining a homophobic slur with a racist one, just to make their intentions clear.
Old 30th January 2019, 10:25 AM   #132
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I can't tell if you're serious or joking.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:25 AM   #133
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

It was in the original article that he claimed they did. I'm not quite sure how we got from "wearing ski masks and gloves in 5 degree Fahrenheit temperature is intelligent " to "we reasonably assume everyone does, in such weather;" it seems a classic example of the hasty generalisation to assume that, because it's not unusual for people to do something, therefore it's inconceivable for them not to do it.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:30 AM   #134
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It was in the original article that he claimed they did.
OK, I see that now.

I guess, to be completely accurate, we'd have to say that TMZ claimed that "sources close to" Smollett said that that's what he said.
Old 30th January 2019, 10:31 AM   #135
baron

I can't tell if you're serious or joking.
I imagine that's what the cops said too.
Old 30th January 2019, 10:50 AM   #136
Matthew Best
Philosopher

But only if they heard that, which there's no evidence they did.

All we have is a claim by TMZ that some unnamed other person said that Smollett said that to them, whoever they are, which is pretty weak in itself, but there's no claim that he said that to the police as far as I can see.

I think we can add this story to the "wait and see" pile. I'll pop back in a day or two and see if anything has come of it.

I imagine by then there'll be at least three or four more pages of posts to work my way through.
Old 30th January 2019, 10:51 AM   #137
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
How did the attackers recognize Smollett, if he was wearing his ski mask (as we reasonably assume everyone does, in such weather)?
I don't think Smollett was wearing a ski mask.

Quote:
as we reasonably assume everyone does, in such weather
Why would you say that, and especially after I said that they are not common?
Old 30th January 2019, 11:05 AM   #138
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
wow that's a stretch.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 11:07 AM   #139
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

OK, I see that now.

I guess, to be completely accurate, we'd have to say that TMZ claimed that "sources close to" Smollett said that that's what he said.
As far as I can tell, the most accurate version of the narrative right now is something like:

Smollett shows up at an acquaintance's home in the wee hours. He tells a story of a violent assault he just suffered. Smollett's acquaintance calls the police on his behalf. The police arrive, and Smollett asks them to turn off their body cameras. He also gives them a version (the same version?) of the assault story he'd given his acquaintance. Security camera footage from the area Smollett gives in his story show Smollett, but not the assault nor the assailants. There are several versions of Smollet's story. Some versions include the "MAGA country" line. Others do not. There was also perhaps a rope or noose or something. And maybe some bleach.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 11:07 AM   #140
Whip
Graduate Poster

I imagine that's what the cops said too.
I see what you did there.
Old 30th January 2019, 11:09 AM   #141
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
wow that's a stretch.
"That's my secret, Cap - I'm *always* stretching."

- The International Skeptics Forum, probably
Old 30th January 2019, 11:28 AM   #142
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

They could have been stalking himm been parked in a car close by, and/or had ski masks in their pockets.

This is CBS:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-...olice-arrived/

Quote:
When police got to his apartment, they said a noose was still around Smollett's neck. He told them he was also doused with an unknown chemical and officers said they smelled bleach on his clothes.
It's all weird no matter how you dice it. I'll wait and see. I see no huge reason to not give dude the benefit of the doubt for now.
Old 30th January 2019, 11:39 AM   #143
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The only real question left is were they really ski masks, or were Jared and Ivanka wearing their KKK hoods?
Old 30th January 2019, 11:48 AM   #144
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

If two ******** were out to gety somebody, and planed it to the point of carrying a rope and bleach, I doubt they would stop at a splash and draping a noose on him. Kick, boot. stomp, not just a bruised face and rib.

My guess: Fight with a partner, or a fall down the stairs, or the scooter, friend comes to pick him up, the two cook up the rest of the story on the way to the hospital. "Hey, didn't you get a letter last week? I think I have some rope and a bottle of washer fluid in the trunk...."

Potential for more evidence: Phone records? More rope in car trunk?
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 10

Last edited by kmortis; 1st February 2019 at 09:45 AM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:06 PM   #145
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The only real question left is were they really ski masks, or were Jared and Ivanka wearing their KKK hoods?

If the masked assailants turn out to be Tawana Brawley and Emma Sulkowicz this will be the greatest news story ever.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:11 PM   #146
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Which according to some people on this board is literally every crime against black people ever.

And really this whole "Oh black people... don't you be lying now I might not believe you in the future" would come across as a lot more genuine if there was a chance the usual suspects are ever going to believe a report of a white on black crime isn't just race baiting by those uppity colored folks.
And let's be honest, if there were a white person found, they'd just tell us about how the hulking brutethug must have tried to fling the poor white guys around like Hulk did to Loki, and how the poor white guy just had to defend themselves even though they're nonviolent blahblahblah...

As I said, CPD is hardly the best in the country, but they seem to be looking into things, while we have little in the way of real info. but in the meantime, I'll take a side, and say I hope they catch the attackers and punish them to the full extent of the law.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:26 PM   #147
applecorped
Suspended

Ski masks are now racist
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:31 PM   #148
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
And let's be honest, if there were a white person found, they'd just tell us about how the hulking brutethug must have tried to fling the poor white guys around like Hulk did to Loki, and how the poor white guy just had to defend themselves even though they're nonviolent blahblahblah...

As I said, CPD is hardly the best in the country, but they seem to be looking into things, while we have little in the way of real info. but in the meantime, I'll take a side, and say I hope they catch the attackers and punish them to the full extent of the law.
If it was a white guy we would not have heard **** about it, because white people get mugged all the time in that area, and it does not crack the daily briefs section of the major papers around here, let alone the nationwide hysteria.

Bet you did not hear about these future community organizers stomping women about 4 blocks from our hero, now did you?

Just an old fashioned mugging

Last edited by The Big Dog; 30th January 2019 at 12:47 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:32 PM   #149
applecorped
Suspended

So did anybody check the sidewalk where the supposedly happened to see if there was bleach residue?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:44 PM   #150
baron

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
So did anybody check the sidewalk where the supposedly happened to see if there was bleach residue?
Let's hope so, with twelve detectives plus beat cops assigned to the case, and several hundred hours of work already put in.
Old 30th January 2019, 12:50 PM   #151
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
If two ******** were out to gety somebody, and planed it to the point of carrying a rope and bleach, I doubt they would stop at a splash and draping a noose on him. Kick, boot. stomp, not just a bruised face and rib.

My guess: Fight with a partner, or a fall down the stairs, or the scooter, friend comes to pick him up, the two cook up the rest of the story on the way to the hospital. "Hey, didn't you get a letter last week? I think I have some rope and a bottle of washer fluid in the trunk...."

Potential for more evidence: Phone records? More rope in car trunk?
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 10
Jesus H.......absolutely not a single shred of anything whatsoever to support your little makey uppie scenario. What is it with some people that makes it impossible to accept that someone might be telling the truth, particularly when that person has no motive to make the story up, and has an awful lot to lose if his charade were to be uncovered? This is supposed to be a forum for sceptics. Well apply a bit of scepticism and analysis to what you are actually suggesting. You and others should be posting this crap in the Conspicracy sub forum, not here........and to absolutely clear, your argument is akin to that of "truthers".
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by kmortis; 1st February 2019 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Edited previously moderated content
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 01:02 PM   #152
baron

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Jesus H.......absolutely not a single shred of anything whatsoever to support your little makey uppie scenario. What is it with some people that makes it impossible to accept that someone might be telling the truth, particularly when that person has no motive to make the story up...
What were you saying about assumptions..?
Old 30th January 2019, 01:52 PM   #153
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Why on earth would a successful person involve himself in something like this as a deliberate fraud? Does your "sniff test" not work the other way too? Mine does, and the idea that someone would risk ruining their career with a stunt like this fails to pass my sniff test. Unless, of course, you've got some evidence.
We know of successful and also famous people with much to lose who have made colossal errors in judgement.

Enron. Rosanne Barr. Phil Spector. Bill Cosby. Charlie Sheen. Mel Gibson. The list could be a mile long. With each one you would ask, "What were they thinking? Did they think that they would get away with this? Why would they do that with so much to lose?"
Old 30th January 2019, 01:52 PM   #154
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
If it was a white guy we would not have heard **** about it, because white people get mugged all the time in that area, and it does not crack the daily briefs section of the major papers around here, let alone the nationwide hysteria.

Bet you did not hear about these future community organizers stomping women about 4 blocks from our hero, now did you?

Just an old fashioned mugging

Good point. These guys have been running around attacking women for months. And nope, haven't seen these attacks mentioned here in Cali.

Quote:
Police said the women were walking or standing on the sidewalk during afternoon or evening hours when groups of robbers began striking them with fists, knocking them to the ground, and kicking them. Phones and purses have been taken by the offenders who then run away from the scene.

Now that is horrifying. But ya, let's keep focusing on the mean managers at Starbucks and McDonalds.
Old 30th January 2019, 02:04 PM   #155
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The "rope" seems to be devolving to be a "cord". Regardless of that, if the item is a factor, it's possible he was trying to do a David Carradine, whether alone or with a partner, and it got out of hand. I can see that as being sufficiently embarassing enough to make up a story.
Old 30th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #156
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I imagine he was just looking for a footlong.
If you ever run for office or want to host an awards show this post will resurface to hurt you. Aside from that it was pretty funny.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 02:13 PM   #157
baron

Apparently 'more than a dozen' detectives, plus beat cops, aren't sufficient to investigate this heinous act of violence, congressman Bobby Rush (whoever the **** he is) "wants the FBI to open a hate crime investigation."

I'm just glad this Smollett guy isn't receiving preferential treatment.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/em...ck-hate-crime/
Old 30th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #158
The Big Dog

Apparently 'more than a dozen' detectives, plus beat cops, aren't sufficient to investigate this heinous act of violence, congressman Bobby Rush (whoever the **** he is) "wants the FBI to open a hate crime investigation."

I'm just glad this Smollett guy isn't receiving preferential treatment.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/em...ck-hate-crime/
Bobby Rush was a major figure in the Black Panthers and was and is a major race gifter
Old 30th January 2019, 02:28 PM   #159
baron

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Bobby Rush was a major figure in the Black Panthers and was and is a major race gifter
Ah, now it makes sense.
Old 30th January 2019, 02:40 PM   #160
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The "rope" seems to be devolving to be a "cord". Regardless of that, if the item is a factor, it's possible he was trying to do a David Carradine, whether alone or with a partner, and it got out of hand. I can see that as being sufficiently embarassing enough to make up a story.
So a "noose" has become...still a "noose", then? Because I see no actual change here - a thin rope is also called "cord".

Last edited by Mumbles; 30th January 2019 at 02:43 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events