ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Ilhan Omar , Kevin McCarthy , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 11th February 2019, 08:25 AM   #41
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's a counter-productive way to run your foreign policy.
Sounds like sacrificing one's principles for convenience is good.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:26 AM   #42
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
That's an opinion that politicians are free to argue about without recrimination of animus.
That's an ironic defense of Omar, given that her tweet wasn't an argument about the merits of the policy itself but was purely a recrimination of animus.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:27 AM   #43
Donal
Illuminator

Hey, so this legislation regarding BDS: that is a pretty big issue, isn't it?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:28 AM   #44
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sounds like sacrificing one's principles for convenience is good.
Giving your enemies a pass on bad behavior is not upholding your principles.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:30 AM   #45
Belz...
Fiend God

Giving your enemies a pass on bad behavior is not upholding your principles.
You're all over the place. We're talking about giving your ALLIES a pass.

Could you help us out about the actual wording of how she believes the Joos are influencing the government, and how she's minimising the Holocaust? As I said the site from the OP is not displaying properly.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:30 AM   #46
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Interesting website. They put the Guardian as left-leaning but not far left as some here have claimed. Politico, as usual, scores centrist.
//Slight hijack//

I see two distinct forms of "bias" in the news, neither is good but one is, in my opinion, demonstrably worse than the other.

1. Style one just focuses on negative stories from a particular side. This is the website or blog or whatever that just has someone site there and read the AP and Reuters's wires and share/tweet/republish every negative story about ""Side A" but doesn't embellish or reword the stories themselves to seem any worse. This is, arguably, a form of dishonesty but it's not outright "lying" and there is a legit place in the concept of the news for... a focusing your attention I guess you'd call it. Websites which are admitted or pretty much openly "We're just here to tell you everytime the 'other side' doesn't something bad" are... shady but if they don't introduce any dishonesty into the actual stories they are... at least a thing.

2. Style two does that, but also it's own bias/spin/angle/whatever you want to call it to the story itself. This is worse and usually impossible to maintain without actual full on dishonesty.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th February 2019 at 08:33 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:36 AM   #47
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You're all over the place. We're talking about giving your ALLIES a pass.
No. We're talking about giving your allies a harder time than your enemies. There's more than one way to not do that.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:37 AM   #48
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I read what she tweeted and what she wrote and in NO WAY was it antisemitic. Such a joke. Is any criticism about Israel's policies automatically anti-semitic now?
Old 11th February 2019, 08:38 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

No. We're talking about giving your allies a harder time than your enemies.
Who here is talking about that? We're merely discussing whether being critical of Israel, the state, is anti-semitic, or whether discussing the influence of its lobbyists in the US is anti-semitic.

Are you going to answer my other questions?

Old 11th February 2019, 08:39 AM   #50
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I read what she tweeted and what she wrote and in NO WAY was it antisemitic. Such a joke. Is any criticism about Israel's policies automatically anti-semitic now?
According to the Republicans, yes.

Their anti-BDS approach is literally about silencing 1A protected speech in favor of protecting a foreign power. They are utterly devoted to a pro-Israel stance that fundamental American legal values are disposable.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:39 AM   #51
Belz...
Fiend God

"Now"?

Old 11th February 2019, 08:40 AM   #52
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Who here is talking about that?
You lost track already?

Israel is a close ally, and friendship comes with higher expectations of conduct.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:41 AM   #53
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, her tweets mentioned in the OP were not about Israel's policies.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:42 AM   #54
Belz...
Fiend God

Their anti-BDS approach is literally about silencing 1A protected speech in favor of protecting a foreign power. They are utterly devoted to a pro-Israel stance that fundamental American legal values are disposable.
Why is it wrong for people to try to advance their interests through the political system?

ETA: I don't understand the stance. Being pro-Israel is one thing, and there's a good argument to be made that they are the lynchpin of our foreign policy in the middle east, and a bastion of democracy there, but to me that doesn't translate in Israel being above criticism. It isn't just religious motivation, I'm sure.

Last edited by Belz...; 11th February 2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:43 AM   #55
Belz...
Fiend God

You lost track already?
Holding your allies to a higher standard <> Giving your allies a harder time than your enemies.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:43 AM   #56
ahhell
Master Poster

Anti-semitic tirade? At worst, its a few questionable tweets, that are marginally anti-semitic if you squint real hard.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:45 AM   #57
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Anti-semitic tirade? At worst, its a few questionable tweets, that are marginally anti-semitic if you squint real hard.
If you squint hard enough, you can see anything you want in anything.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:48 AM   #58
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There was a New York Democratic Representative who suggested it was as well. I'm pro-israel to a point. But this is ridiculous.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:50 AM   #59
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

"Now"?
Good point.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:51 AM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

There was a New York Democratic Representative who suggested it was as well. I'm pro-israel to a point. But this is ridiculous.
Freedom of speech exists only so long as it's convenient.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:54 AM   #61
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, her tweets mentioned in the OP were not about Israel's policies.
To suggest that part of the reason Israel enjoys such support is the heavy lobbying ...as in money is hardly anti-semitic. That people immediately take offense and call it ant-semitic is just a way of trying to shut the criticism down.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #62
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Holding your allies to a higher standard <> Giving your allies a harder time than your enemies.
That is exactly what was being defended here: boycotting, divestment and sanctions for Israel, but not from other more hostile states with worse human rights records.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #63
Belz...
Fiend God

To suggest that part of the reason Israel enjoys such support is the heavy lobbying ...as in money is hardly anti-semitic. That people immediately take offense and call it ant-semitic is just a way of trying to shut the criticism down.
Precisely.

That's a large part of politics, now: find some way to shut the conversation down so you don't have to address the issues on your "side".

Old 11th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #64
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Freedom of speech exists only so long as it's convenient.
Its hard to be for freedom of speech when you don't like the speech.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #65
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

To be honest, I'm willing to accept a pro-Israel stance as a matter of expediency. The world is a messy place and having any kind of ally in the Middle East is valuable. I won't accept this strain of thought that "Israel can do no wrong" that is so prevalent.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #66
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Precisely.

That's a large part of politics, now: find some way to shut the conversation down so you don't have to address the issues on your "side".
What are you one of those wishy-washy both sides are the same centrists?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:58 AM   #67
Belz...
Fiend God

That is exactly what was being defended here: boycotting, divestment and sanctions for Israel, but not from other more hostile states with worse human rights records.
You're really dancing all over the place. One minute we're talking about holding allies to a higher standard, a general idea, and now you're going back to a specific action taken against Israel. Fine, if you think hypocrisy is being engaged in, bring it up to those engaging in it. But don't bring up the hypocrisy of other people to me. It's pointless.

Once more: are you going to answer my other questions? I'll take it as a no if you ignore it again.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:58 AM   #68
Donal
Illuminator

Are we banned from observing that lots of legislation has well-heeled private backers, or is that just in this case?

This isn't even a criticism of the Israeli government directly. It is criticism that a bill of dubious constitutionality and public value is being pushed by a lobbying group. Hardly an isolated incident for our government.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:59 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What are you one of those wishy-washy both sides are the same centrists?
Dude, you're slipping. Here's a better version:

What are you one of those wishy-washy, "both sides are the same" idiots who are on the exact middle of all issues?

Old 11th February 2019, 08:59 AM   #70
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

To be honest, I'm willing to accept a pro-Israel stance as a matter of expediency. The world is a messy place and having any kind of ally in the Middle East is valuable. I won't accept this strain of thought that "Israel can do no wrong" that is so prevalent.
Much as with Saudi Arabia a little bit of "Real Politka" is to be understandable when it comes to the Middle East. It's a contentious part of the world where for the most any potential ally is going to be... not perfect.

Everyone, when they aren't trying to score political points, accepts some degree of "Politics makes strange bed fellows."

Israel is the closest thing to a Western Style Democracy in the Middle East so some degree of "We'll just accept/ignore X to a degree for the sake of political usefulness" is hardly nefarious.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:59 AM   #71
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Criticism of what? Not of Israel's actions, because again, that's not what's even being discussed here. The criticism is of pro-Israel lobbying. But again, Israel is in no way peculiar in that regard. Why should pro-Israel lobbying be criticized but everyone else's gets a pass? That double standard is motivated in no small part by antisemitism.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #72
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Are we banned from observing that lots of legislation has well-heeled private backers, or is that just in this case?

This isn't even a criticism of the Israeli government directly. It is criticism that a bill of dubious constitutionality and public value is being pushed by a lobbying group. Hardly an isolated incident for our government.
Dude, you're one step away from gassing minorities!

Old 11th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #73
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dude, you're slipping. Here's a better version:

What are you one of those wishy-washy, "both sides are the same" idiots who are on the exact middle of all issues?
I think my sarcasm muscle is finally starting to feel its age. I just don't the energy for full on wit and pith anymore.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #74
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

"hooked nose"
Old 11th February 2019, 09:01 AM   #75
Belz...
Fiend God

Criticism of what? Not of Israel's actions, because again, that's not what's even being discussed here. The criticism is of pro-Israel lobbying. But again, Israel is in no way peculiar in that regard. Why should pro-Israel lobbying be criticized but everyone else's gets a pass? That double standard is motivated in no small part by antisemitism.
You've got evidence of that last bit, right?

The criticism is not just about pro-Israel lobbying, is it, though? It's about lobbying to get the US to ignore Israel's own international law violations.

Old 11th February 2019, 09:02 AM   #76
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

God...I hate religion. There is no question that Israel's neighbors have horrible human rights records. But that shouldn't mean that Israel's terrible treatment of the Palestinians should be ignored. And it doesn't make what the Congresswoman said anti-semitic.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:03 AM   #77
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I keep having to point this out, but this thread isn't about Israel's actions. None of Omar's tweets mentioned in the OP make any reference to anything Israel has or has not done.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:03 AM   #78
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

From anti-Semitism to blackface to rape allegations to false attack hoaxes, Liberals are doing awesome right now.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:05 AM   #79
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
From anti-Semitism to blackface to rape allegations to false attack hoaxes, Liberals are doing awesome right now.
"And as long as the other side is making mistakes, I don't have face anything wrong my side is doing!"
Old 11th February 2019, 09:05 AM   #80
Donal
Illuminator

You mean states that are already under sanctions? Or states we don't sell billions of dollars of military equipment to? What "hostile" nations do we treat better than Israel?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics