ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Ilhan Omar , Kevin McCarthy , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 11th February 2019, 09:05 AM   #81
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Criticism of what? Not of Israel's actions, because again, that's not what's even being discussed here. The criticism is of pro-Israel lobbying. But again, Israel is in no way peculiar in that regard. Why should pro-Israel lobbying be criticized but everyone else's gets a pass? That double standard is motivated in no small part by antisemitism.
So what? If I said your support against Obamacare was because of dollars donated to you by the healthcare industry would you also get offended?
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:06 AM   #82
applecorped
Suspended

Why do some Democrats hate Jews so much?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:07 AM   #83
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
From anti-Semitism to blackface to rape allegations to false attack hoaxes, Liberals are doing awesome right now.
Maybe you should establish the anti-semitism before you add it to your gift list.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:08 AM   #84
Belz...
Fiend God

"Quick! I have to distract people from the fact that most anti-semites are on my side. Hey! There's someone from the other side whose posts might be interpreted as anti-semitic. At long last, the wrong that'll make our wrong right!"

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:09 AM   #85
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't hate Jews. Some of my best friends are Jewish. I do hate religion and it's us vs them mentality.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:09 AM   #86
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I know. Don't they understand how much we need Israel to exist so it can be destroyed when Jesus returns?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:10 AM   #87
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
You mean states that are already under sanctions?
Egypt, for example, isn't under sanctions.

Quote:
Or states we don't sell billions of dollars of military equipment to?
We sell billions of dollars of military equipment to Turkey.

Quote:
What "hostile" nations do we treat better than Israel?
As a matter of national policy, we don't currently treat Israel worse. But the BDS program is an effort to get us to treat Israel worse than most of its neighbors (the only exception being Syria).
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:10 AM   #88
applecorped
Suspended

Jewish House Democrats urge Pelosi to denounce Ilhan Omar for ‘hateful tropes’ in tweets

Somebody here better inform them that it wasn't antisemitism
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:11 AM   #89
applecorped
Suspended

Oh no not Obama's advisor now!

Obama’s Ambassador to Israel Condemns Ilhan Omar’s ‘Vile’ Anti-Semitism
Old 11th February 2019, 09:12 AM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus Christ watching people not only not being able to conceptualize anything outside of the context of political point scoring but not be able to conceptualize that people exist who are capable of conceptualizing things outside of political point scoring and just assume that's what everybody else is doing too is depressing.

"I keep scoring points against the other side but I don't seem to be winning! I don't understand!"

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th February 2019 at 09:15 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:13 AM   #91
applecorped
Suspended

Reps. Josh Gottheimer (N.J.) and Elaine Luria (Va.), who are both Jewish, are collecting signatures for a letter they plan to send to Democratic leaders expressing deep concern over “recent rhetoric from certain members within our Caucus, including just last night, that has disparaged us and called into question our loyalty to our nation.” The letter, which was obtained by POLITICO, is being circulated to Jewish Democrats.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:13 AM   #92
Belz...
Fiend God

Should they be?

Old 11th February 2019, 09:13 AM   #93
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I keep having to point this out, but this thread isn't about Israel's actions. None of Omar's tweets mentioned in the OP make any reference to anything Israel has or has not done.
It's part of the immediate context and absolutely relevant to the motivations of all involved.

This thread presupposes without evidence that these tweets were anti-Semitic. I see no reason to believe that. AIPAC is a pro-Israel lobby that moves large amounts of money to mostly conservative lawmakers. Suggesting that these lawmakers are beholden to pro-Israel stances because of that money is a perfectly fair accusation.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:14 AM   #94
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jesus Christ watching people not only not being able to conceptualize anything outside of the context of political point scoring but not be able to conceptualize that people exist who are capable of conceptualizing things outside of political point scoring and just assume that's what everybody else is doing too is depressing.

"I keep scoring points against the other side but I don't seem to be winning! I don't understand stand!"
Yeah but what about her emails?

Old 11th February 2019, 09:14 AM   #95
applecorped
Suspended

"Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. "
Old 11th February 2019, 09:15 AM   #96
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
There was a New York Democratic Representative who suggested it was as well. I'm pro-israel to a point. But this is ridiculous.
I agree, I'm fairly ambivalent towards Israel and a lot of the anti-Israel stuff rings hollow considering the neighbors, on the other hand, labeling the BDS movement as anti-semitic, that's a stretch for sure. Seems more like an effort to silence the opposition by yelling "Racism."
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:16 AM   #97
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"I don't understand! I keep listing off people from your side who are wrong and I'm still not winning the discussion! I know! I'll list them off HARDER!"
Old 11th February 2019, 09:17 AM   #98
Belz...
Fiend God

"I don't understand! I keep listing off people from your side who are wrong and I'm still not winning the discussion! I know! I'll list them off HARDER!"
You're wrong. He thinks he's winning.

Old 11th February 2019, 09:19 AM   #99
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You're wrong. He thinks he's winning.
Like I said in the other thread when basically the "Political Rapture" happens and all politics come to a screeching halt so both sides points can be added up and one side the declared the winner... boy me and you are sure going to look stupid.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:20 AM   #100
Donal
Illuminator

You said hostile nations. Technically, unfortunately, we consider them allies. Now, if you want to say the US should not allow lobbyist, be they from foreign governments or the weapons manufacturers, to sway our policy to the point where we get bogged down choosing sides in regional disputes with no good guys...I'd be with you.

Quote:
As a matter of national policy, we don't currently treat Israel worse. But the BDS program is an effort to get us to treat Israel worse than most of its neighbors (the only exception being Syria).
Us? BDS is a boycott by private citizens. They target Israel specifically because 1) Its started by Palestinians 2) Israel gets away with a lot of $%^& we wouldn't let other countries do.

If you told me there was a group similar to BDS but focusing on countries using places like Yemen as a proxy war, I'd be down for that.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:21 AM   #101
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I read what she tweeted and what she wrote and in NO WAY was it antisemitic. Such a joke. Is any criticism about Israel's policies automatically anti-semitic now?
It will always be framed as such yes.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #102
Belz...
Fiend God

Like I said in the other thread when basically the "Political Rapture" happens and all politics come to a screeching halt so both sides points can be added up and one side the declared the winner... boy me and you are sure going to look stupid.
Yeah, I told you: we have to get in on the game before it's too late!

Old 11th February 2019, 09:24 AM   #103
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

God...I hate religion. There is no question that Israel's neighbors have horrible human rights records. But that shouldn't mean that Israel's terrible treatment of the Palestinians should be ignored. And it doesn't make what the Congresswoman said anti-semitic.
It becomes far easier when you stop thinking of the Palestinians at all, hence the goals of ending medical care, electricity service and so on, highly successful ways of dealing with the Palestinian problem.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:26 AM   #104
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You said hostile nations.
No. I said "more hostile". It was a comparative descriptor, not an absolute one.

Quote:
If you told me there was a group similar to BDS but focusing on countries using places like Yemen as a proxy war, I'd be down for that.
Strangely enough, there are none. It's a complete mystery as to why.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:29 AM   #105
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
DO NOT CLICK THE LINK IN THE OP

Damn site locked up my computer and tried to give my windows PC a virus; I'm wasting time on a full system scan now.
I've got adblockers, and extensions that don't allow scripts to run on sites unless I specifically say they can. I'm usually pretty safe on any site.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:30 AM   #106
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I had never heard of that particular news source/web site before. So I looked them up on mediabias....

Overall, we rate Grabien Right biased based on story selection and sourcing that significantly favors the right. We also rate them borderline Questionable for factual reporting due to failed checks and use of sources that have very poor track records with fact checkers.
I was working under that assumption anyway. It's not that I've got a problem with, it's that it's poorly-written to the point where I can't actually tell exactly what the fuss is supposed to be all about.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:31 AM   #107
Donal
Illuminator

No. I said "more hostile". It was a comparative descriptor, not an absolute one.

Strangely enough, there are none. It's a complete mystery as to why.
So, let's organize one. We can piss off the foreign lobbyists, the defense contractors, and the oil lobbyists.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:38 AM   #108
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

From anti-Semitism to blackface to rape allegations to false attack hoaxes, Liberals are doing awesome right now.
Limbaugh Logic: A mixture of fact and fiction followed by a non sequitur.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:40 AM   #109
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I agree, I'm fairly ambivalent towards Israel and a lot of the anti-Israel stuff rings hollow considering the neighbors, on the other hand, labeling the BDS movement as anti-semitic, that's a stretch for sure. Seems more like an effort to silence the opposition by yelling "Racism."
Its not even about Israel per se. Its about a proposed bill that seems would violate First Amendment rights. Its one of many bills that is seemingly pushed by a lobbying group.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:56 AM   #110
Belz...
Fiend God

And yet your list included allies.

Old 11th February 2019, 10:16 AM   #111
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And yet your list included allies.
Is there really any doubt that Turkey is more hostile to us than Israel? Is that seriously under contention?
Old 11th February 2019, 10:18 AM   #112
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Its not even about Israel per se. Its about a proposed bill that seems would violate First Amendment rights. Its one of many bills that is seemingly pushed by a lobbying group.
And, this particular "anti-semitic tirade" looks more like an anti-Kevin McCarthy tirade: It's an accusation that McCarthy sold his support for the bill.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:18 AM   #113
Belz...
Fiend God

Is there really any doubt that Turkey is more hostile to us than Israel? Is that seriously under contention?
You really have a talent to dance around an issue.

No, it's not under contention but they are still allies.

Old 11th February 2019, 10:23 AM   #114
Donal
Illuminator

So ya, a law punishing people for joining a boycott: Ya or nay?
Old 11th February 2019, 10:25 AM   #115
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Whether we should institute BDS is different than suggesting we should implement it as Anti-semitic. Being against some of Israel's policies does not equal racism. And I find suggesting it to be as a subtle or not so subtle attack on the freedom of speech.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #116
The Big Dog

Rashida Tlaib wrote for Farrakan's paper

“Anti-Semitism in any form is unacceptable, and it’s shocking to hear a Member of Congress invoke the anti-Semitic trope of ‘Jewish money’”- House Foreign Affairs Chair Eliot Engel on fellow Democrat committee member Rep. Ilhan Omar

here is a compilation of their various anti-semetic pronouncement over the years

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/0...ing-must-read/

Do they respond to criticism by playing the race card? You know they do!

race grifters gonna grift.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:27 AM   #117
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
And, this particular "anti-semitic tirade" looks more like an anti-Kevin McCarthy tirade: It's an accusation that McCarthy sold his support for the bill.
Say it isn't so. A congressman selling his vote?

News at 11:00!
Old 11th February 2019, 10:29 AM   #118
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
race grifters gonna grift.
Aren't race grifters those who accuse others of racism? Isn't that what YOU're doing here?

Take your blue pill.

ETA: I also love how completely partisan the author of that article is. Apparently, one person is indicative that the whole party has "a problem" with anti-semitism. Never mind that we've not seen anything anti-semitic so far.

Last edited by Belz...; 11th February 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:31 AM   #119
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
here is a compilation of their various anti-semetic pronouncement over the years

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/0...ing-must-read/
Couldn't see what was anti-semetic, or anti-semitic even, there.

Could you clarify?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:33 AM   #120
Donal
Illuminator

Twitchy is like Breitbart for people who are in a hurry to get their racism.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics