ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Ilhan Omar , Kevin McCarthy , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 11th February 2019, 01:01 PM   #201
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But she worded in a way where it could be easily interpreted as Anti Semitic.
Could you help me out and quote that wording and explain that? I genuinely don't see it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:02 PM   #202
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Hell, even Pelosi calls her statements anti-Semitic:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/st...26564503343104
So? That doesn't mean they ARE. This is NOT an issue that follows the natural Democratic/Republican divide.. I don't support what the Congresswoman is advocating but I don't see it as anti-semitic. People on the Left don't hold universal opinions.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:03 PM   #203
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
PICK A SIDE!!
No
Old 11th February 2019, 01:03 PM   #204
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well then you shouldn't be concerned, because you've never actually made an argument.
Oh dear, did you really just wheel out the "I know you are but what am I" rejoinder?

That, sir, is Magnificent!

here is the thing, I did indeed make an argument, it was to rebut claims that this is a partisan issue, because even people in her own party have called them anti-Semitic.

It is called refuting the central point.

Say, didja have a chance to read the article I posted about tone trolling? Might be something y'all might, you know, benefit from?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:03 PM   #205
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"I don't actually think you meant X, I'm just pointed out the way you said it could be seen as X" is... off as an argument.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:04 PM   #206
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
So? That doesn't mean they ARE. This is NOT an issue that follows the natural Democratic/Republican divide.
Yeah that's not gonna get a lot of traction here.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:05 PM   #207
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

hey dudalb, y'all gonna learn what an tu quoque fallacy is and stop derailing every single thread with bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-but-TRUMPIES.

Seriously, at some point while you are typing that you had to have realized that it has nothing to do with the thread and absolutely nothing at all to do with my post.

Terminal Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Trump's approval rating among likely voters soars to his best in 23 MONTHS at 52%
Old 11th February 2019, 01:07 PM   #208
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Saying something louder doesn't make it more true.
Neither is saying it is anti-semitic over and over again.
Again, that's not the basis for the claim that it was antisemitic. Why do I have to keep pointing out what should be obvious, that her tweets in question have nothing to do with Israeli policies?
Of course it does. And just because the Congresswoman pointed out the money that is involved doesn't make it antisemitic either.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:07 PM   #209
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
No
No, I know you've already picked yours. I wasn't talking to you.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:08 PM   #210
The Big Dog
Suspended

hey look! Ilhan apologized after being educated about anti-Semitic "tropes"

hopefully someone will be along shortly to explain that citing her apology as evidence that her comments were anti-Semitic is just citing someone from the other 'side' to score points.

Oh the wonderful things we learn from folks who 'elevate' themselves above the "fray."

Last edited by The Big Dog; 11th February 2019 at 01:10 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:09 PM   #211
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh dear, did you really just wheel out the "I know you are but what am I" rejoinder?

That, sir, is Magnificent!

here is the thing, I did indeed make an argument, it was to rebut claims that this is a partisan issue, because even people in her own party have called them anti-Semitic.

It is called refuting the central point.

Say, didja have a chance to read the article I posted about tone trolling? Might be something y'all might, you know, benefit from?
You're adorable.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:10 PM   #212
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Neither is saying it is anti-semitic over and over again.
True, except people have done a lot more than that to advance the claim.

Quote:
Of course it does.
No, it doesn't. Her tweets in question were about the motivations of American politicians, NOT about any Israeli policy.

Quote:
And just because the Congresswoman pointed out the money that is involved doesn't make it antisemitic either.
Again, she did more than just point out the existence of lobbying.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:12 PM   #213
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

You're adorable.
And you're off topic.......again
Old 11th February 2019, 01:13 PM   #214
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah that's not gonna get a lot of traction here.
I know. I feel like I'm in the middle on this. I don't agree with the Congresswoman's position but I think it's absurd to call it ant-semitic.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:14 PM   #215
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I know. I feel like I'm in the middle on this. I don't agree with the Congresswoman's position but I think it's absurd to call it ant-semitic.
Jesus Christ do you realize how mean you're being? Look at the sides they're getting the shakes not being able to point score.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:17 PM   #216
Belz...
Fiend God

hey look! Ilhan apologized after being educated about anti-Semitic "tropes"

hopefully someone will be along shortly to explain that citing her apology as evidence that her comments were anti-Semitic is just citing someone from the other 'side' to score points.

Oh the wonderful things we learn from folks who 'elevate' themselves above the "fray."
What are you on about? Isn't the above a good thing?

Old 11th February 2019, 01:18 PM   #217
Belz...
Fiend God

Jesus Christ do you realize how mean you're being? Look at the sides they're getting the shakes not being able to point score.
Maybe we need to convince them that a point of the Hind Wing is a point for the left AND the right!

Old 11th February 2019, 01:18 PM   #218
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

True, except people have done a lot more than that to advance the claim.
Not that I can see.

No, it doesn't. Her tweets in question were about the motivations of American politicians, NOT about any Israeli policy.
So? That doesn't make it antisemitic either.

Again, she did more than just point out the existence of lobbying.
She said it was about the Benjamins. So? Money in politics...What a shocker! Say it isn't so!
Old 11th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #219
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Omar has apologized and in a meaningful way.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/polit...ash/index.html

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:23 PM   #220
The Big Dog
Suspended

Well, as i literally just showed she herself apologized for it being anti-Semitic, so...

good luck storming the windmills

Uh oh, it is a bi-partisan, non-partisan conclusion that her statement is anti-Semitic! Jesus Christ do I realize how mean I'm being? Look at the content police, they're getting the shakes not being able to pretend this is just black/white point scoring!

Poor content police.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:24 PM   #221
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well then you shouldn't be concerned, because you've never actually made an argument.
I can't remember the last time TBD made an actual argument.
Insults, yes.
Snide remarks, yes.
Dogmatic statements, yes.
But actual arguments: Not so much.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:25 PM   #222
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well, as i literally just showed she herself apologized for it being anti-Semitic, so...

Uh oh, it is a bi-partisan, non-partisan conclusion that her statement is anti-Semitic! Jesus Christ do I realize how mean I'm being? Look at the content police, they're getting the shakes not being able to pretend this is just black/white point scoring!

Poor content police.
Oh come on I demand you make up a meaningless term you'll then run into a the ground. Can't I be a green-piller or content grifter?

I'll word is using "so" so it's easier for you.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:31 PM   #223
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Not that I can see.
I can't help you there. Either you read the arguments, or you don't.

Quote:
So? That doesn't make it antisemitic either.
I didn't say that makes it antisemitic. But it does mean your attempted defense of it in that post is irrelevant.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:33 PM   #224
The Big Dog
Suspended

Oh come on I demand you make up a meaningless term you'll then run into a the ground. Can't I be a green-piller or content grifter?

I'll word is using "so" so it's easier for you.
Huh, that is curious, that is the second content free post attacking me, yet not even trying to address the thread topic, the links I have cited or basically anything substantive at all.

Quite curious, indeed.

Did you read the article I posted yet? I gotta bunch more.

"Level 2: The tone argument

Make it not about what the author said but how he said it: too angry, too arrogant, etc. Again, this does not point out why the argument is wrong. Even an arrogantly stated argument can be right."
Old 11th February 2019, 01:36 PM   #225
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Poor content police.
I still disagree. I think it just shows how powerful the Jewish lobby is. I think we see this over and over again on not just this issue but on others. People get sensitive about racial issues and they apologize just because it is expedient.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:40 PM   #226
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I can't help you there. Either you read the arguments, or you don't.
I read the arguments. They amount to the same in my view.

I didn't say that makes it antisemitic. But it does mean your attempted defense of it in that post is irrelevant.
I don't follow you at all then. You could say everyone's posts are irrelevant then.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th February 2019 at 01:41 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:46 PM   #227
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't follow you at all then.
Evidently not.

Look, it's not actually complicated. Saying that criticism of Israel isn't antisemitic is irrelevant, because she wasn't criticizing Israel, and nobody was saying her tweets were antisemitic because of any criticism of Israel.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:47 PM   #228
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Could you help me out and quote that wording and explain that? I genuinely don't see it.
it has been explained to you time and time again here.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:47 PM   #229
The Big Dog
Suspended

I still disagree. I think it just shows how powerful the Jewish lobby is. I think we see this over and over again on not just this issue but on others. People get sensitive about racial issues and they apologize just because it is expedient.
the, um, what lobby?

Hmm, I think I am getting a hint why you "think it's absurd to call it ant-semitic (sic)"
Old 11th February 2019, 01:48 PM   #230
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I still disagree. I think it just shows how powerful the Jewish lobby is.
And why is it so powerful? Because of all that Jew gold? Or because voters actually support Israel?

Hint:
The real reason is the latter, but Omar is claiming it's the former.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:48 PM   #231
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Omar has apologized and in a meaningful way.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/polit...ash/index.html
Ok, she has done her mea culpa.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:51 PM   #232
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The (sadly way too common) historical trend of conspiracies involving Jews and controlling the world via money can't put all discussion of the money involved in the politics of Israel into the "Verboten because it sounds like the conspiracy theories" category.

Saying we can't use any language that sounds anything like the sad old "The Jews and their gold" nonsense kind of hamstrings a lot of discussions unfairly.
Old 11th February 2019, 02:17 PM   #233
The Big Dog
Suspended

The (sadly way too common) historical trend of conspiracies involving Jews and controlling the world via money can't put all discussion of the money involved in the politics of Israel into the "Verboten because it sounds like the conspiracy theories" category.

Saying we can't use any language that sounds anything like the sad old "The Jews and their gold" nonsense kind of hamstrings a lot of discussions unfairly.
"The (sadly way too common) historical trend of conspiracies involving Jews and controlling the world via money can't put all discussion of the money involved in the politics of JEWISH LOBBY into the "Verboten because it sounds like the conspiracy theories" category.

Saying we can't use any language that sounds anything like the sad old "The Jews and their gold" nonsense kind of hamstrings a lot of discussions about the JEWISH LOBBY unfairly."

Fixed that right up in a jiffy for you!
Old 11th February 2019, 02:17 PM   #234
Belz...
Fiend God

Poor content police.
What are you blabbering about?

Old 11th February 2019, 02:20 PM   #235
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
That has not been the case on this forum.
I've heard Rush Limbaugh refer to the party as Democrat rather than Democratic. In the show I listened to he did it the entire time, so I'll bet that's where it comes from, or how it is perpetuated maybe.

I wouldn't have noticed it though if not for the forum. Does anyone really think your average American would catch that? Not me.

I rarely listen to him btw, he's all show. He's a smart guy, a little too smart to actually believe everything he says I think. I can hear the tongue stuck in his cheek sometimes.
Old 11th February 2019, 02:20 PM   #236
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm asking you because you strike me as more reasonable than some of the other posters here. Don't prove me wrong.

What I've been told, so far, is that she brought up the idea that the Jews are funneling money to politicians to promote Israel's agenda. That's not anti-semitic, in addition to not being controversial that political interest groups would do that, so no joy. Also apparently the Benjamins refers to Netanyahu. Again, not anti-semitic.

What else am I missing? So far there is nothing antisemitic, except the notion that any criticism of Israel is antisemitic.

Old 11th February 2019, 02:21 PM   #237
Belz...
Fiend God

the, um, what lobby?

Hmm, I think I am getting a hint why you "think it's absurd to call it ant-semitic (sic)"
See what I mean? One can't even suggest that people are lobbying for Israel's interests without being called an anti-semite, an obvious slur to shut someone up.

Old 11th February 2019, 02:23 PM   #238
Belz...
Fiend God

Right. Like, one could say that the far-left uses a lot of accusations of racism and sexism lately, but that's no excuse to dismiss racism and sexism as myths.

Old 11th February 2019, 02:24 PM   #239
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

hey dudalb, y'all gonna learn what an tu quoque fallacy is and stop derailing every single thread with bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-but-TRUMPIES.

Seriously, at some point while you are typing that you had to have realized that it has nothing to do with the thread and absolutely nothing at all to do with my post.

Terminal Trump Derangement Syndrome.

He did this since the late Dubya era though. His real hate figure is STALIN.
Old 11th February 2019, 02:26 PM   #240
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I'm asking you because you strike me as more reasonable than some of the other posters here. Don't prove me wrong.

What I've been told, so far, is that she brought up the idea that the Jews are funneling money to politicians to promote Israel's agenda. That's not anti-semitic, in addition to not being controversial that political interest groups would do that, so no joy. Also apparently the Benjamins refers to Netanyahu. Again, not anti-semitic.

What else am I missing? So far there is nothing antisemitic, except the notion that any criticism of Israel is antisemitic.
What else you're missing is the idea that money is the only reason politicians are doing that. It can't be because they think it's the right thing to do, it can't be because that's what their voters want. It can only be because of the money.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics