ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:54 AM   #401
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The killers explicitly stated they were fighting "the enemies of Allah," but you think Muslim men care so deeply about Moroccan tourism they behead two white girls and send the video of the beheadings to the victims' families.

Yes, the Islamic extremists aren't happy at all with the way that Moroccan stat treats them so they want to harm the tourist trade to punish it. You seem to suggest that videos of the beheadings of members of their families would encourage more tourists to go to Morocco. (As if you weren't aware of the specific intentions of the terrorists in this case and actually shared their interest in this part of it, harming the Moroccan tourist trade, because you don't like Muslims of any kind and would like to see them harmed - in the case in point by having fewer tourists visit them.)

Quote:
And the November 2015 Paris massacre was just a protest against heavy metal.

It was? You'll have to explain how.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:02 AM   #402
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
You seem to suggest that videos of the beheadings of members of their families would encourage more tourists to go to Morocco.
The state of this forum.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:34 AM   #403
Baylor
Philosopher

My words:
white people who've spent their entire lives around other white people have a naive understanding of how different races around the world view them.
Dann trying to pass off his words as mine:
1) White people who've spent their entire lives around other white people sometimes have a naive understanding of different races
Nice trick. Making up a sentence then attributing it to me then having a conversation with yourself.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:44 PM   #404
dann
Philosopher

Notice that, unlike Baylor, I don't use quotation marks when I'm not actually quoting somebody.
Notice also that Baylor removes my highlighting of a word that I insert into a sentence that I've taken from him to make it obvious what I'm doing! Follow his link to my post and see for yourselves!
So the trickster and falsifier is none other than ... Baylor! As everybody would expect.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:02 PM   #405
Baylor
Philosopher

I myself, for instance, believed that black people were usually cannibals who preferred to eat white people;
You haven't made much progress in your understanding.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:03 PM   #406
Baylor
Philosopher

Notice also that Baylor removes my highlighting of a word that I insert into a sentence that I've taken from him to make it obvious what I'm doing!
That was your own sentence you made up so you could recite a nursery rhyme for some reason.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:17 PM   #407
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Perhaps you missed the "while being daft, naive European girls" part

Most people have the good sense to follow basic safety precautions. White women visiting a Muslim country should know they are at a greater risk of being victimized. But these girls were brainwashed into "not judging people." Charles Darwin wins again.
I'm for finding and grinding slowly the perpetrators - and any who try to help them. Religion sucks big time and any kind.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:17 PM   #408
baron

Notice that, unlike Baylor, I don't use quotation marks when I'm not actually quoting somebody.
Notice also that Baylor removes my highlighting of a word that I insert into a sentence that I've taken from him to make it obvious what I'm doing! Follow his link to my post and see for yourselves!
So the trickster and falsifier is none other than ... Baylor! As everybody would expect.
Shouldn't you be figuring out how 3,300,000 = 0 rather than making content-free posts?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:18 PM   #409
baron

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I'm for finding and grinding slowly the perpetrators
You want to be careful with that phraseology, especially in Morocco.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:24 PM   #410
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Perhaps you missed the "while being daft, naive European girls" part

Most people have the good sense to follow basic safety precautions. White women visiting a Muslim country should know they are at a greater risk of being victimized. But these girls were brainwashed into "not judging people." Charles Darwin wins again.
Always be prepared to judge people - and act accordingly and thoroughly when it is necessary. Also, many perfectly legal things make great weapons.

Though in all fairness I have done improvised weapons since the second or third grade. 1952 or 3.

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:30 PM   #411
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

From Baylor's article:

And then there's this from Switzerland: Second Swiss arrested in Morocco over tourist beheadings.

And this: More Americans killed by white supremacists than Muslim extremists. They sure are naÔve, people who think that white extremists aren't homicidal ...
U.S. Law Enforcement Failed to See the Threat of White Nationalism. Now They Donít Know How to Stop It.
Magnums and full auto weapons should certainly help - and where the WS rectums are known to be, well planned raids, and grenades would be nice - or firebombs for the slimes - I am sure they would enjoy being barbecued!!!

Wash this space!

Old 2nd March 2019, 01:40 PM   #412
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I think you saw that coming from a mile away because even you can come with it as the most straightforward, sane retort.

No one is aplologizing for muslim extremists anymore than anyone is apologizing for any other brand of violent extremism.

Obviously, getting beheaded as a European tourist, whether daft (most are, more or less!!) or not, is VERY much the exception.

I am fairly certain daft Europeans have been gruesomely murdered in Australia, the USA, Russia or Brazil after posting on social media how great the country is and how much of a blast they're gonna have. This is not a specifically muslim thing. It is of course an IS thing, but IS extremism is no more diagnostic of Islam as is KKK extremism of Protestant Christianity.

So what point, what falsifiable, objective claim, is your OP making? What lesson ought to be drawn, specifically? Is it one about Morocco, specifically? Or Islam? Or Islam in Morocco? Or European girls? Tell us!
Sorry , but this is why I am anti-religion (besides the clear and obvious point that if any one of them is right then none of the others can be): people in them find it easy to harm those who don't agree that their silly little god thing is the only one. gods are only as real as ghosts, vampires, werewolves, fairies and all the other imaginaries humans have made up over time.

Wash this space!

Old 2nd March 2019, 01:53 PM   #413
dann
Philosopher

That was your own sentence you made up so you could recite a nursery rhyme for some reason.

Yes, that was my own sentence, based on one of yours, and you removed my highlighting to make it seem as if you weren't lying.
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:59 PM   #414
dann
Philosopher

Sorry , but this is why I am anti-religion (besides the clear and obvious point that if any one of them is right then none of the others can be): people in them find it easy to harm those who don't agree that their silly little god thing is the only one. gods are only as real as ghosts, vampires, werewolves, fairies and all the other imaginaries humans have made up over time.

I agree with you about gods being imaginary, but I don't think that it is as special as you seem to make it out to be that people who disagree with others about it. People disagree with each other about all kinds of things and find it easy to harm those who don't agree with them. Very few bar fights start with religious discussions, in my experience.
Why pretend that the silly little god thing is special in this respect?
Old 15th March 2019, 01:12 AM   #415
dann
Philosopher

Right-wing anti-Muslim extremists are far more dangerous than ordinary Muslims, who aren't dangerous at all - and not just in Scandinavia: New Zealand mosque gunman was Australian rightwing terrorist (The Jakarta Post, March 15, 2019)
Old 15th March 2019, 07:20 AM   #416
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I no longer feel that religion is the issue, it's all of the retarded people who follow it. Not all of them are retarded, but many of them are. What's worse than retarded followers of various religions, is people who spend their time rallying against them. It's a fruitless task that will have you reading the bible more than any religious nut would ever bloody bother.

It's like "Satanists," they make me laugh, they're as much a part of the whole religious mess as the people they oppose.

Religion doesn't teach people to do silly things, people have been doing silly things for hundreds of thousands of years with or without religion.

It is possible to be a part of, or to follow a religion and not be a deluded psychopath, I know, because I've had mums and dads and grandmas and granddads. None of them ever went out and crucified someone or chopped off their head. They just carried roseary beads and went to church occasionally.

People are too caught up on religion, it's people who're the problem. We're a tribal bunch, always have been, always will be, unless we continue to drift further and further up our own arse into the solitary world of social media. If you want to see two tribes going to war, visit most sports games, especially football. Don't need opposing religions to bicker over when you've got rival football teams playing each other.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 15th March 2019 at 07:38 AM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events