ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags robert kraft , sex scandals , sports incidents

Old 22nd February 2019, 02:29 PM   #81
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Pretty stupid.

He could have gone to any number of places where prostitution is legal and regulated.

He could afford to be the sugar daddy for any number of willing young ladies.

Why is he at a two-bit sex trafficking salon...
Why does the "billionaire" who is also (arguably) the most powerful man on Earth (for the time being) choose to eat McDonalds?

Perhaps the plebeian nature of such things has an appeal that those of us with a more limited array of options can't grok.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:30 PM   #82
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Why does the "billionaire" who is also (arguably) the most powerful man on Earth (for the time being) choose to eat McDonalds.
*Confused* Because eating at McDonalds isn't illegal.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:47 PM   #83
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I mean... maybe people are weird and don't always make rational decision but I'm going to assume high end Chinese prostitutes are a thing that exists and as noted I don't buy the "less risky" since these places only seem to exist to get busted by the police.
Cost.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:50 PM   #84
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Cost.
Dude's got a 6.6 billion dollar networth. They could be gold plated hookers and he wouldn't miss the money.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:10 PM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty stupid.

He could have gone to any number of places where prostitution is legal and regulated.

A lot like Harvey Weinstein:Why did Harvey try to force himself on aspiring actresses when could easily afford the highest priced call girl service in Hollywood?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:11 PM   #86
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Cost.
Yeah, somebody worth 6 billion dollars has to watch his pennies.
You are trying to find a rational explanation when there really isn't one.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:12 PM   #87
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dude's got a 6.6 billion dollar networth. They could be gold plated hookers and he wouldn't miss the money.
You don't get to be that rich by spending your own money frivolously!
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:19 PM   #88
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I heard rumors of another really big name coming out in this
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:30 PM   #89
bytewizard
Master Poster

Well, Tiger Woods has property in Jupiter.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:42 PM   #90
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Well, Tiger Woods has property in Jupiter.
I'm pretty sure he still just refers to her as a girlfriend.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:49 PM   #91
carlitos
"ms divertido"

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
We don't know if any of the prostitutes here were trafficked.
I don't get how you can pretend you know what's inside Robert Kraft's brain but you doubt the entire reason for this sting operation. Your burden-of-proof meter is running backwards or something. Do we know with iron-clad certainly that the exact women who tugged Mr. Kraft were trafficked? No. Do we know that many of the women in these targeted spas were trafficked? Yes, we do.

Quote:
Detectives watched the Orlando couple transport multiple women with suitcases to and from the spa, "for the purpose of sexual servitude," according to her arrest warrant.

Police said victims, identified in court records as Jane Does, lived inside the spas and worked as prostitutes. Some stayed for days, others for months.
None were allowed to leave on their own. They did not have their own vehicles and generally spoke Mandarin or Cantonese, not English.

Currey said many came from China on temporary work visas, indebted to the the brokers who helped them reach America, but believing legitimate jobs awaited them.

"Some of them are trying to make a better life for themselves," he said. "These people truly are stuck." They were shamed, intimidated and taught not to speak to law enforcement or immigration officials.

Others answered what they thought were legitimate ads for masseuse jobs, but soon were pressured into doing more. Zullo also was seen transporting women between the Vero Beach and Sebastian spas and to various other locations, including the Orlando International Airport, according to his arrest warrant.

Large human trafficking ring busted across Treasure Coast

Third woman charged in connection with human trafficking ring

Treasure Coast spas connected to human trafficking arrests

Human trafficking on the Treasure Coast: Who was arrested?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:53 PM   #92
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Always go to Daily Mail for the full story along with lots of photos.

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
According to UPI's Al Butler, Kraft is 'not the biggest name involved' in this case...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Florida.html
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:54 PM   #93
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Carlitos, yes, trafficking for sure.
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:24 PM   #94
Myles
Thinker

Always cringe whenever I see the words prostitution and sting in the same sentence.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:34 PM   #95
Zambo
Thinker

Typically these would have Chinese immigrant prostitutes. Some may not be legal immigrants. It's also not uncommon for your hooker to be over 40 years old.
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Actually, it does introduce a fair amount of chaos at a tme when the Pats need to be planning for the post Brady era. Yes, Brady is incredible for someone aged 41, but 41 is 41,and he has only two of three more years at the most.
I think Brady is probably the more remarkable for his age.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:47 PM   #96
mgidm86
Philosopher

Pretty stupid.

Maybe it's his business? Maybe he's just a billionaire who has literally never answered to anyone and feels he can do whatever he wants?

Maybe most people are just stupid and he's one of them.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:06 PM   #97
xjx388
Philosopher

I think the answer to the question Why? is obvious: Because they like it this way. Sure he could go get high priced, classy call girls with little risk but maybe he likes the seediness of what he is doing better. Much like Weinstein probably enjoyed the power trip. I mean, he had to know that the women were probably not doing this because they want to. Perhaps its just better for him when its some poor girl being forced to service him.

Its disgusting and I hope they throw the book at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:35 PM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I think the answer to the question Why? is obvious: Because they like it this way. Sure he could go get high priced, classy call girls with little risk but maybe he likes the seediness of what he is doing better. Much like Weinstein probably enjoyed the power trip. I mean, he had to know that the women were probably not doing this because they want to. Perhaps its just better for him when its some poor girl being forced to service him.

Its disgusting and I hope they throw the book at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I susupect you are right, and it's some weird power thing. Exercising power over somebody who is willing just does not have the buzz factor they need.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:12 PM   #99
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

If this is a place of human trafficking then something is upside-down because they are arresting johns instead of the madam.
Not "instead of" the madams were also arrested.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:50 PM   #100
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yes, I see that now.

Cops had been investigating this spa for months. It says that Kraft is on the hook for two separate visits. I don't know if that means he was in twice during that period and solicited both times. Or if he was there more often but only solicited twice.

I don't know how he could escape the charges. The whole thing is a set-up with cameras and even body cameras are mentioned. There may have been some female cops pretending to be massage women. I'm not sure.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:55 PM   #101
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It still seems weird though. I would think that the priority when you find trafficked and abused prostitutes is to immediately rescue them and separate them from the madam. But this looks like an operation lasting months and the whole time the women are still being abused while the cops are using them as bait?

Maybe I'm not understanding something. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:02 PM   #102
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It still seems weird though. I would think that the priority when you find trafficked and abused prostitutes is to immediately rescue them and separate them from the madam. But this looks like an operation lasting months and the whole time the women are still being abused while the cops are using them as bait?

Maybe I'm not understanding something. It wouldn't be the first time.
Absolutely, if you think they are being abused, they let it go on for months so they could gather more evidence and bust more people. The vast majority seem to be johns. I read that 173 arrests were made, and 165 of those were johns.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:12 PM   #103
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The other thing is that the girls basically have no choice but to say that they are victims of trafficking. It's either "We'll charge you with prostitution and prosecute you, or you can say that you are a victim and testify against the owner and the johns". What would you do?
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:23 PM   #104
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is really an unusual cop operation for these spa places. What you generally see is group arrests of madams and their women, but no johns. What happens is that undercover cops go in and solicit prostitution themselves.

All of these massage parlor spas are the same all over the country. They are essentially all places of prostitution and it is almost always Chinese. The sex acts are generally limited to handjobs and fellatio.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:37 PM   #105
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

This is really an unusual cop operation for these spa places. What you generally see is group arrests of madams and their women, but no johns. What happens is that undercover cops go in and solicit prostitution themselves.

All of these massage parlor spas are the same all over the country. They are essentially all places of prostitution and it is almost always Chinese. The sex acts are generally limited to handjobs and fellatio.
Personal experience perhaps?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:40 PM   #106
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Cops filmed it? Child pornographers anybody?

And then the cops kept filming more acts?

Isn't "entrapment" when the cops break a law to catch a lawbreaker?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:50 PM   #107
Cain
Straussian

Prosecutor: And what did Mr. Kraft say after he pointed at his penis?
Sex Worker: "Make banana cry."
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:01 PM   #108
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Child pornographers anybody?
You get a nobody. Check the ages on these women. Some can be grandmothers.

Never been to these places but they are everywhere. What I can never understand is why they aren't all shut down right after opening up.
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:24 PM   #109
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

My guess would be that professional porn isn't prostitution because the actor isn't paying the actress for sex.
IANAL but it goes from prostitution to porn when distribution is the intent.

And with distribution comes a certain amount of regulation. Which means your porns stars are photographed with their ID (real one) and filed to prove they are of age. And model release forms are signed. Good luck getting a prostitute to do that so you can try and exploit a loophole.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:34 PM   #110
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Just a basic misdemeanor charge. Not sure what the big deal is.
A DUI is a far worse infraction. Heck, Kraft isn't even married. This is just people's latent puritanism manifesting itself because the misdeed happens to be of a sexual nature.

Dude was probably just bored between meetings.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:45 PM   #111
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
A DUI is a far worse infraction. Heck, Kraft isn't even married. This is just people's latent puritanism manifesting itself because the misdeed happens to be of a sexual nature.

https://www.richardhornsby.com/crime...stitution.html

It seems that in the state of Florida, it's possibly a big deal, if the judge wants to be a hardass.

If, as has been reported, he went there twice, the second infraction is even worse. It's worse if you get caught a second time, and even worse on the third time.
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:59 PM   #112
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Yea and he's a billionaire so I guess they'll try to make an example of him or at least treat him harshly just to avoid the appearance of favoritism or leniency or privilege.

But seriously, the guy just paid for a beej up front. Only difference between him and everyone else is he wasn't forced to sit through a couple hours of inane dinner conversation.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 22nd February 2019 at 09:02 PM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:14 PM   #113
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

The other thing is that the girls basically have no choice but to say that they are victims of trafficking. It's either "We'll charge you with prostitution and prosecute you, or you can say that you are a victim and testify against the owner and the johns". What would you do?
Are you for real? WTF with this bull ****.

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Cops filmed it? Child pornographers anybody?

And then the cops kept filming more acts?

Isn't "entrapment" when the cops break a law to catch a lawbreaker?
No, it's more complicated than that.

And, even if it was, there's nothing that would be done about it anyway.

Yea and he's a billionaire so I guess they'll try to make an example of him or at least treat him harshly just to avoid the appearance of favoritism or leniency or privilege.
Hahahahaha! Ah... no. He's obscenely wealthy. He will never face any real consequences.

Quote:
But seriously, the guy just paid for a beej up front. Only difference between him and everyone else is he wasn't forced to sit through a couple hours of inane dinner conversation.
Sure! Sex trafficking victims don't count. Or do you think they are all lying as Puppycow seems to think?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:21 PM   #114
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Sure! Sex trafficking victims don't count. Or do you think they are all lying as Puppycow seems to think?
They could be victims.

Then again I would certainly claim to be a victim under such circumstances if it rendered my illegal actions moot.

But I also like to think of women as adult people capable of making their own decisions.
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:26 PM   #115
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't know the circumstances here, I'll wait for more evidence. But do some of you have no clue what sex-trafficking is actually about?
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:40 PM   #116
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Agreed. Its ridiculous, particularly in the land of the free.
There are several places where it's legal.

Seriously, get over your obsession with America. You got some strange hang-ups.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:34 PM   #117
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Why does the "billionaire" who is also (arguably) the most powerful man on Earth (for the time being) choose to eat McDonalds?

Perhaps the plebeian nature of such things has an appeal that those of us with a more limited array of options can't grok.
That's the incentive I would assume.

We took a family vacation recently and stayed in pretty nice digs. The best I'd ever stayed at, in fact. After a week, I was dying for something a little grittier than the five-star treatment.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:35 PM   #118
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Pretty stupid.

Because paying for the sevices of a woman who is beat down and desperate makes these rich ******** hard as hell.

To guys like him, a woman who actually enjoys what she is doing is a major turn-off.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:08 AM   #119
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Seeing reports that another big name that's wrapped up in this human trafficking case is billionaire political superdonor John Childs. I don't know if he is the "bigger name than Kraft" hinted at in previous articles.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:57 AM   #120
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Maybe I'm weird but a billionaire that is part of a cartel that runs the most profitable sports franchise in America using sex slaves is sort of a big deal. I'd be very upset with any man that made use of sex slaves.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events