ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 10:07 AM   #81
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The behavior of the Republicans is politically damaging. I'm sure the only people approving then after this will be the shrinking base.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:07 AM   #82
The Big Dog
Suspended

Michael Cohen was referred to the FBI for FARA violations. Well with a clinton grifter like davis "representing' "him" I am sure he will be fine.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:08 AM   #83
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I've got to make tea now, and they've just called a break. I'll probably not be able to watch any more live, which is a shame. This has truly been great fun.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:11 AM   #84
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Boy, did that "liar" meme/poster backfire on the congressman (Paul Gosar?) who displayed it.

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th February 2019 at 10:14 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:12 AM   #85
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Michael Cohen was referred to the FBI for FARA violations. Well with a clinton grifter like davis "representing' "him" I am sure he will be fine.
Funny how his contract has the bit about lobbying crossed out and initialled by Cohen.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:13 AM   #86
Belz...
Fiend God

Uh oh.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:19 AM   #87
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Gosar has just attacked Cohen for being disloyal to Trump.
That was funny. MSNBC is putting up info on each questioner, and for Gosar they noted that his own children backed his opponent in the election.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:20 AM   #88
Doubt
Philosopher

Trump supporters response to Cohen's testimony:

"Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:20 AM   #89
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Indeed so.

I am constantly amazed and disgusted by how the Tumptards actually do know just how horrible Trump really is, and yet the Trumptards simply keep on supporting Trump.

I guess it is like Lincoln once famously said:

"You can fool some of the people all of the time."
They're not fooled. They just don't care.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:21 AM   #90
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

When Trump called on the Russians to "find Hilary Clinton's emails", it now seems obvious that he already knew they had been hacked, and that Wikileaks was in possession of them... that is very big!
Old 27th February 2019, 10:22 AM   #91
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
When Trump called on the Russians to "find Hilary Clinton's emails", it now seems obvious that he already knew they had been hacked, and that Wikileaks was in possession of them... that is very big!
It always struck me as weird that the Russians would respond to his request with the hack, rather than it being the other way around.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:23 AM   #92
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
That was funny. MSNBC is putting up info on each questioner, and for Gosar they noted that his own children backed his opponent in the election.
well that is totally false, you sure that was what they wrote?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #93
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

well that is totally false, you sure that was what they wrote?
Six Siblings of a Republican Congressman Endorse His Opponent in Campaign Ads

Sorry, it was his "siblings" -- brothers and sisters.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 27th February 2019 at 10:28 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:28 AM   #94
The Big Dog
Suspended

Hillary Clinton's emails were hacked? Wow, do tell....
Old 27th February 2019, 10:31 AM   #95
The Big Dog
Suspended

Six Siblings of a Republican Congressman Endorse His Opponent in Campaign Ads

Sorry, it was his "siblings" -- brothers and sisters.
yeah, his family is infected with a bunch of lib-style grifters. Sad.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:32 AM   #96
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

They ratted on Gosar.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:33 AM   #97
Tero
Graduate Poster

If Cohen writes a book and it gets out soon, I will buy my first Trump book. But if we are done with Trump, no books for me after that.

Last edited by Tero; 27th February 2019 at 10:37 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:36 AM   #98
Garrison
Illuminator

Whether he was lying before or he's lying now Cohen is clearly an unprincipled POS, which doesn't say a lot for the judgement of the man who hired him as his personal attorney. Even if one was willing to believe that Trump knew nothing about all the shady deals members of his staff and other employees were engaged in you have to conclude he's a terrible judge of character, which probably explains why he keeps getting suckered by the North Koreans.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:37 AM   #99
Belz...
Fiend God

Bluepilled grifter rats!

Old 27th February 2019, 10:37 AM   #100
The Big Dog
Suspended

They ratted on Gosar.
That is not really the correct way to look at it.

They grifted Gosar because they suffer from TDS, and their mother took them to the woodshed for it.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:39 AM   #101
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Whether he was lying before or he's lying now Cohen is clearly an unprincipled POS, which doesn't say a lot for the judgement of the man who hired him as his personal attorney. Even if one was willing to believe that Trump knew nothing about all the shady deals members of his staff and other employees were engaged in you have to conclude he's a terrible judge of character, which probably explains why he keeps getting suckered by the North Koreans.
GOP trying to pretend that the problem of cooperating witness testimony is something brand new. Cooperating witnesses are always scumbags, because if they weren't scumbags, they wouldn't be in a position to inform on their scumbag colleagues in exchange for leniency.

The GOP can keep falling onto their fainting couches about Cohen being a criminal, the rest of us are ready to move forward.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:40 AM   #102
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

So you went from "well that is totally false" to this.

Normally, when someone makes a statement like you did, and then implicitly acknowledges that it isn't totally false, they acknowledge the previous comment.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:42 AM   #103
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
So you went from "well that is totally false" to this.

Normally, when someone makes a statement like you did, and then implicitly acknowledges that it isn't totally false, they acknowledge the previous comment.
Normally, when someone makes a statement like you did, they actually read the posts and realize that what was originally said was indeed totally false.

I don't expect an apology, but an explanation to the thread would be appropriate.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:46 AM   #104
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Amen, he is a total disgrace to the legal profession, he is waiving attorney client privilege...
Attorney client privilege does not apply in cases here a lawyer and his client are co-conspirators in a crime.

Not that Cohen was a "good lawyer" in the first place, just that attorney-client privilege likely does not apply here.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:49 AM   #105
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Normally, when someone makes a statement like you did, they actually read the posts and realize that what was originally said was indeed totally false.

I don't expect an apology, but an explanation to the thread would be appropriate.
It wasn't totally false. It was partially false. He did have a set of close blood relatives turn against him, it just identified the wrong relatives. It would be totally false if it also got the turn against him part wrong.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:51 AM   #106
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Gosar just suggested that Cohen is lying to reduce his sentence, and Cohen replied that he knows of now way that appearing in front of Congress would give the SDNY information they don't already have, but if anybody in Congress thinks they can help reduce his sentence he'd gladly accept it.
Mark Green asked Cohen where he was going to get his income from going forwards (after a tirade about how he wasn't a credible witness, attempting to establish that Cohen is only testifying for the sake of a book deal), to which Cohen replied "I don't imagine I'll have much of an income in prison".
I have to admit, I am really impressed with the way Cohen is handling some of these questions... a touch of humor, and a way that makes the questioner look like they hadn't thought things through.

I wonder if he had those particular responses pre-planned in case they were asked, or whether he made them up on the fly.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:55 AM   #107
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Attorney client privilege does not apply in cases here a lawyer and his client are co-conspirators in a crime.

Not that Cohen was a "good lawyer" in the first place, just that attorney-client privilege likely does not apply here.
there is a crime fraud exception to the attorney client privilege, it does not operate as a blanket waiver of all communications, and it is not for the attorney to decide it has been waived.

Particularly when the attorney in question is a rat trying to hide his crimes that had nothing at all to do with any of his clients.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:57 AM   #108
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It wasn't totally false. It was partially false. He did have a set of close blood relatives turn against him, it just identified the wrong relatives. It would be totally false if it also got the turn against him part wrong.
False. The post in question said his own children backed his opponent. Please do not mutilate the posts in question to try to hide your grievous errors.

SMFH
Old 27th February 2019, 11:00 AM   #109
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

False. The post in question said his own children backed his opponent. Please do not mutilate the posts in question to try to hide your grievous errors.

SMFH
And it was siblings that backed his opponent. The statement that his own children backed his opponent is partially true.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:00 AM   #110
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Big Dog is conceding that the conversations occurred. This is awesome.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:16 AM   #111
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A republican politician was condemned by his brothers and sisters.

A poster here falsely identified that it was the politician's children. (A claim that they later corrected.)

Now, a reasonable/rational person would look at the circumstances, and say "Ok, the false identification was unfortunate, but we should be concerned about a politician who's got so many failings that his very own siblings are condemning him"

Instead, you seem to be more hung up on the unfortunate false identification part rather than the main point: republican politician is such a scumbag that even his siblings don't like him. Why is that?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 27th February 2019, 11:20 AM   #112
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Instead, you seem to be more hung up on the unfortunate false identification part rather than the main point: republican politician is such a scumbag that even his siblings don't like him. Why is that?
You got to work with what you got. And when you don't get much...
Old 27th February 2019, 11:27 AM   #113
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Hillary Clinton's emails were hacked? Wow, do tell....
As usual, you lack the comprehension skills to understand what you are reading, so let be emphasise in the way that I would when teaching a 9th grader in English class.....

Previously, he denied this was so.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:36 AM   #114
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Minor point... And correct me if I'm wrong.

There were 2 email issues that the Democrats were dealing with: hacks into the Democrat's email server (which lead to information about how the leaders of the Democratic party preferred Clinton.) and controversy over Hillary's personal email server from when she was secretary of state (in which a bunch of personal emails were deleted).

If I remember correctly... Russia and Wikileaks were involved with the first one (the hacks into the Democratic servers). Trump, on the other hand, was asking for the Russians to find data related to the second case (i.e. personal emails that had been on Clinton's personal email server from the time when she was secretary of state, but got deleted).

Trump's actions were still questionable... he was asking for a foreign country to engage in cybercrime against American individuals (and possibly expose secret information).

ETA: Plus, apart from Trump asking the Russians to "find the emails", Trump had also made a claim about some big information release related to Wikileaks before the actual release, so its likely he did know what Wikileaks was doing, even if the "find the emails" wasn't part of what Wikileaks actually released.

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 27th February 2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:41 AM   #115
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Urgh. Michael Cohen is the worst kind of sleazeball slimy unreliable witness. Disgruntled convicted-of-lying ex-attorney. What a snake in the grass.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:44 AM   #116
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wow I am having a huge flashback to when I was 9 years old and we watched the Watergate hearings in class.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:45 AM   #117
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Urgh. Michael Cohen is the worst kind of sleazeball slimy unreliable witness. Disgruntled convicted-of-lying ex-attorney. What a snake in the grass.
If you are trying to say "don't trust him on face value" you might be right.

The reason why he should perhaps be trusted is because he's actually providing at least some documentary evidence to back up his claims.

Oh, and as others have pointed out.... what exactly does it say about Trump and the Republicans if they would hire such a 'slimy sleazeball' to begin with?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 27th February 2019, 11:46 AM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Trump supporters response to Cohen's testimony:

"Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."
All we need is Angela Lansbury

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:51 AM   #119
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The reason why he should perhaps be trusted is because he's actually providing at least some documentary evidence to back up his claims.

Oh, and as others have pointed out.... what exactly does it say about Trump and the Republicans if they would hire such a 'slimy sleazeball' to begin with?
I would not trust Cohen at face value also;as much as I despise Trump I would demand more evidence before aacepting what Cohen says as the truth.

Most informers and people who turn state evidence are slimeballs who are doing so to save their skin. Sonny Gravano..the underboss who sunk John Gotti in court...as pretty slimy himself.
I think someone in Finland is being very nave. Any D.A./Prosecutor will tell you that most witnesses you use in bringing down big time criminals are pretty slimy themselves.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:52 AM   #120
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

That's a good point. Birds of a feather...

Why would a US president want to hire such an enthusiastically bent lawyer?

Popcorn tv.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics