ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 11:53 AM   #121
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would not trust Cohen at face value also;as much as I despise Trump I would demand more evidence before aacepting what Cohen says as the truth.

Most informers and people who turn state evidence are slimeballs who are doing so to save their skin. Sonny Gravano..the underboss who sunk John Gotti in court...as pretty slimy himself.
I think someone in Finland is being very naÔve. Any D.A./Prosecutor will tell you that most witnesses you use in bringing down big time criminals are pretty slimy themselves.
And Cohen has made the point that his testimony here is unlikely to reduce his sentence. He doesn't seem to have anything to gain, apart from blaming the bigger crook.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:57 AM   #122
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Quote:
Oh, and as others have pointed out.... what exactly does it say about Trump and the Republicans if they would hire such a 'slimy sleazeball' to begin with?
That's a good point. Birds of a feather...

Why would a US president want to hire such an enthusiastically bent lawyer?
Because being a politician (even one who manages to become president) does not mean that you are automatically a good and decent person. In fact, many politicians are downright sleazy.

Trump was a con-artist who managed to ride a wave of bigotry and Russian interference to the white house. It would be rather expected for Trump to have surrounded himself with individuals such as Cohen, based on his con-artist past. (After all, I'm sure most honest lawyers wouldn't have wanted to work for him.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:58 AM   #123
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Big Dog is conceding that the conversations occurred. This is awesome.
I noticed that too.

Attorney-client privilege is irrelevant if Cohen is a lying.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:58 AM   #124
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A republican politician was condemned by his brothers and sisters.

A poster here falsely identified that it was the politician's children. (A claim that they later corrected.)

Now, a reasonable/rational person would look at the circumstances, and say "Ok, the false identification was unfortunate, but we should be concerned about a politician who's got so many failings that his very own siblings are condemning him"

Instead, you seem to be more hung up on the unfortunate false identification part rather than the main point: republican politician is such a scumbag that even his siblings don't like him. Why is that?
That's this dude's MO. I once made a small error in a post and he called me a liar for it (I did respond with a correction). The detail I got wrong was so insignificant it didn't change the point of the post at all. But of course he ignored the rest of the post and instead focused on the one minor error. There's no point engaging him.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:59 AM   #125
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

One thing Cohen just said rings absolutely true.

'Mr Trump would never hit Melania, never. He's not that type of a person'

I believe this is 100% true. From my personal experience, its one of the key aspects of narcissistic behaviour that they NEVER use physical violence to control people; they are much too cunning to do that - physical violence leaves marks, and marks can be photographed as evidence.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:59 AM   #126
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And Cohen has made the point that his testimony here is unlikely to reduce his sentence. He doesn't seem to have anything to gain, apart from blaming the bigger crook.
Actually I'd say the opposite is true...

His testimony here will probably make him (and his family) a target for Trump supporters trying to "shut the rat up" (via a 2nd amendment solution.) So he has a lot to lose from his testimony.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:59 AM   #127
Drewbot
Philosopher

For the first time ever, a person convicted of lying to Congress, is sitting there lying to congress.

While that is going on, The President signs a 21 Billion Dollar trade agreement with Vietnam, and tries to end the Korean War.

Enjoy your show.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:05 PM   #128
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Unsurprisingly, the GOP is presenting the expected united front in pearl clutching "You're just out to get the President and why should we believe you as you're nothing but a self-serving liar". The amount of indignation they're professing is almost laughable to watch. It's as if they are all reading from the same talking point memo. Just like Trump has tried to discredit the Mueller investigation by attacking Mueller and the FBI, their main objective is to discredit anything Cohen has to say by attacking him. The take up at least half, if not more than half, of their allotted time doing this.

I think Cohen is doing an excellent job. Trump must be crapping his pants right now.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:06 PM   #129
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
For the first time ever, a person convicted of lying to Congress, is sitting there lying to congress.
And your proof that he is currently lying to congress is what?

Quote:
While that is going on, The President signs a 21 Billion Dollar trade agreement with Vietnam
Ah yes, Vietnam... the country the U.S. could have been trading with for a long time had Trump decided to stay in the TPP, but he chose not to.

So, thanks for, what, fixing something you broke in the first place I guess.
Quote:
...and tries to end the Korean War.
Yes, good effort. We know he's probably going to end up being conned (as he was after the last meeting). But we can at least give him a gold star for effort.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 27th February 2019, 12:10 PM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That is what Cohen says, but I really think he is expecting his testimony to impact his sentence. Of couse you say the opposite.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:11 PM   #131
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The supporting documentary evidence that he's showed - for example the cheques.

Oh.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:11 PM   #132
baron

He told what I thought was a great joke, although nobody seemed to recognise it as such, including him;

"He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn’t a **** hole. This was when Barack Obama was President of the United States."

I thought that was priceless.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:12 PM   #133
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Wow I am having a huge flashback to when I was 9 years old and we watched the Watergate hearings in class.....
One huge difference: Back then, not all of the Republicans on the committee were abject Nixon lap dogs. RIP Howard Baker.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:13 PM   #134
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

While that is going on, The President signs a 21 Billion Dollar trade agreement with Vietnam, and tries to end the Korean War.

Enjoy your show.
*Written while humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic through clenched teeth and a single tear rolls down the authorís cheek.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:13 PM   #135
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Actually I'd say the opposite is true...

His testimony here will probably make him (and his family) a target for Trump supporters trying to "shut the rat up" (via a 2nd amendment solution.) So he has a lot to lose from his testimony.
Plenty of jeopardy.
He has deals with the SDNY and the Mueller team, doesn't he? Any reduction of sentence is going to come from THEM, not the House.
If he tells the House something he has not already told the prosecutors, he's in trouble
If he tells the House something that contradicts anything he ever told the prosecutors, he is in big trouble on BOTH sides of that issue.

So what's in it for him, materially?
Getting airtime and face recognition.
For future book/TV/movie deals.
Yep, sleazy.

BUT!

That doesn't mean his statements are untrue or even unreliable. As I said, he puts himself in jeopardy of losing his chances for sentence reduction, and/or of adding more charges, and jail time, for telling new lies (to either the House, or the prosecutors, or both).
Strong incentive to stick to the truth.

Plus: His books/TV appearances/movies will sell so much better IF his claims today get corroborated by Mueller, the House, the SDNY or any other investigating body.
If he is revealed as a liar again, who's going to take stock in the tale he wants to sell for money?
Old 27th February 2019, 12:13 PM   #136
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ah yes, Vietnam... the country the U.S. could have been trading with for a long time had Trump decided to stay in the TPP, but he chose not to.

So, thanks for, what, fixing something you broke in the first place I guess.

Yes, good effort. We know he's probably going to end up being conned (as he was after the last meeting). But we can at least give him a gold star for effort.
AH, the "But He Made The Trains Run On Time" defense.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:15 PM   #137
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
*Written while humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic Dixiethrough clenched teeth and a single tear rolls down the author’s cheek.
FIFY

Last edited by jimbob; 27th February 2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: First one would have been borked it for you
Old 27th February 2019, 12:16 PM   #138
Stacyhs
Philosopher

More faux moral outrage from the GOP concerning the recording of people without their knowledge. As Cohen has stated, it's not illegal in New York.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:17 PM   #139
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
More faux moral outrage from the GOP concerning the recording of people without their knowledge. As Cohen has stated, it's not illegal in New York.
What are they complaining about in particular? I've missed most of this
Old 27th February 2019, 12:18 PM   #140
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

As opposed to people who lied to congress AND THEN were convicted, such as

H.R. Haldeman (White House Staff)
John Erlichman (White House staff)
John Dean (White House legal counsel)
John Mitchell (Attorney-General)
Howard Hunt (ex-White House staff)
G. Gordon Liddy (ex-White House staff)
Charles Colson (Special Counsel to the President)
James McCord (Security Director of CREEP)
Paul Manafort (Trump's former campaign chairman)
Old 27th February 2019, 12:20 PM   #141
Stacyhs
Philosopher

What are they complaining about in particular? I've missed most of this
That Cohen recorded people without their knowledge or permission. As Cohen stated, this is legal in NY.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:22 PM   #142
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Armstrong looks like he's about to have an apoplectic fit. He's visibly shaking.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:23 PM   #143
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
'He is a racist. He is a conman. He is a cheat.'

Ouch.
Am I the only person who canít read that without the Pink Panther cartoonís theme tune going through my head?

https://youtu.be/bii-PIGprv8
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:25 PM   #144
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

That Cohen recorded people without their knowledge or permission. As Cohen stated, this is legal in NY.
I'd inferred that, but thanks - I was wondering if there was any particular evidence that he pointed out he had recordings of.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:25 PM   #145
The Big Dog

STATEMENT on Michael Cohen testimony to Congress: WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange has never had a telephone call with Roger Stone. WikiLeaks publicly teased its pending publications on Hillary Clinton and published > 30k of her emails on 16 March 2016.

Thanks, resistance, wikileaks has to fact check you.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:27 PM   #146
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I'd inferred that, but thanks - I was wondering if there was any particular evidence that he pointed out he had recordings of.
I can't remember exactly what. There's been so much testimony. Perhaps someone else here can give you that info.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:28 PM   #147
The Big Dog

BREAKING: Cohen testified that he went over "topics" that Democrats would raise at today's hearing with lead Demo-grifter Adam Schiff (D-CA), chairman of the House intelligence committee.

It ain't about the truth folks, it is about trying to knock ORANGE BAD MAN down a peg while he is trying to accomplish major, historic foreign policy initiatives.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:28 PM   #148
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
STATEMENT on Michael Cohen testimony to Congress: WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange has never had a telephone call with Roger Stone. WikiLeaks publicly teased its pending publications on Hillary Clinton and published > 30k of her emails on 16 March 2016.

Thanks, resistance, wikileaks has to fact check you.
Could you please re-assemble this group of words into a statement that makes some sort of sense?
Old 27th February 2019, 12:28 PM   #149
Cain
Straussian

In fairness, they were just as upset about Russian operatives hacking the DNC and Clinton's campaign chairman.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:29 PM   #150
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
BREAKING: Cohen testified that he went over "topics" that Democrats would raise at today's hearing with lead Demo-grifter Adam Schiff (D-CA), chairman of the House intelligence committee.

It ain't about the truth folks, it is about trying to knock ORANGE BAD MAN down a peg while he is trying to accomplish major, historic foreign policy initiatives.
There are no more pegs below where Trump is now.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:30 PM   #151
Stacyhs
Philosopher

And here we go again with a Republican (Steube) repeating the same line: Cohen is a liar and we shouldn't believe anything he has to say. It is nice, though, that they reveal their pro-Trump agenda so clearly and immediately.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:30 PM   #152
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's pathetic how Trumpanzees want to convince the world that a flipped criminals testimony can never be valid or credible....
Yes. It's funny how it's almost never choirboys that rat out crooks. For some unknown reason it's usually other crooks.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:30 PM   #153
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't EVER want to hear a Republican attack a Democrat as being unfit for office because of moral or ethical reasons. They have sort of blown their creditbility to hell on that issue. It's clear morals or ethics do not matter just so long as he is a member of your party.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:31 PM   #154
The Big Dog

On the other hand, Cohen just denied under oath having ever been in Prague, and he also said he never met with Russians on his 2016 trip elsewhere in Europe.

That little tidbit just nuked the Steele report grift from orbit.

Wow, what a terrible day for resistance grifters.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:33 PM   #155
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Yes. It's funny how it's almost never choirboys that rat out crooks. For some unknown reason it's usually other crooks.
If Giuliani attacks Cohen for being a rat

, it will be new level of hypocrisy.
Given how many rats Giuliani used when the Federal Prosecutor in New York in his Mafia trials. I am not criticizing Gilianie using them, just his hypocrisy if he attacks the Dems for doing so.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 27th February 2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:33 PM   #156
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Old 27th February 2019, 12:35 PM   #157
The Big Dog

"Getting sick watching these hearings. I know Michael Cohen personally for many years and he told me several times that he was very angry and upset that he didn't get a post in the WH and that he "would do what he has to do now to protect his family ""

-B. Dietl.

say, Cohen just cannot stop lying to Congress now can he.

Trump Jr. is openly mocking the rat about it on twitter

banner day Resistance!
Old 27th February 2019, 12:35 PM   #158
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No the choirboys rat out the priests for raping them.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:36 PM   #159
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

If Cohen isn't lying, his claims should be investigated and verified.

If Cohen is lying, his claims should be investigated and Cohen should be charged.

Either way, the only proper response is to investigate these claims. Now that the D's control the House, it will happen.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:37 PM   #160
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If Cohen isn't lying, his claims should be investigated and verified.

If Cohen is lying, his claims should be investigated and Cohen should be charged.

Either way, the only proper response is to investigate these claims. Now that the D's control the House, it will happen.

And that's one of the points about this testimony - it gets the allegations into the public domain.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics