ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 06:33 PM   #321
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You see, TBD thinks that Cohen told the truth the first time he testified before Congress, and then, for some reason, even though he was telling the truth, he said that he actually lied, and got charged for lies he didn't actually tell because they were not lies, they were truths. Now, he's actually telling the truth and TBD thinks he's lying because both can't be the truth, and he prefers to believe whatever true lies fit his personal truths. Got that?.

And he thinks leftists jump through hoops?
The logic is beyond bizarre If you think about it. Cohen lies to Congress and then pleads guilty to lying to Congress, sentenced to prison for lying to Congress and then returns to Congress to lie again? Yeah...sure
Old 27th February 2019, 07:09 PM   #322
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I got it, but more importantly, this clearly lets Trump off the hook for any suggestion of telling Cohen to lie to Congress. Impeachment dreams are shattered.

How is he helping the Democrats again?

Chris B.
It was interesting listening to Joyce Vance and Barb McQuade (both former prosecutors) and Chuck Rosenberg (former Assistant Director of the DEA) a few nights ago where they were talking about how Federal Prosecutors have been able to gain convictions of mob bosses on the testimony of cooperating witnesses such as flipped underlings.

In order to prosecute and convict a superior who has ordered a subordinate to commit a crime, they do not have to find a direct link such as a written memo or an audio recording of the order. In fact, said Rosenberg, such direct evidence is hardly ever found because it generally does not exist. What prosecutors must do is show a pattern of behaviour. If Trump really has used this way of insulating himself, you can be sure that Cohen is not the only one he will have done it to. There are a number of others who are co-operating with Mueller and SDNY, all of whom may have done things or committed acts at the behest of Trump (Michael Flynn, Allen Weisselberg & Rick Gates for example)
Old 27th February 2019, 07:12 PM   #323
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Isn't TBD the one who, several months ago, claimed that lying to congress (or maybe investigators) was not a crime?
Who cares?

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Paul Gosar, the GOP congressman who did the Liar lair pants on fire routine, also thinks that Charolttesville is the result of a left wing conspiracy.
Man ,that heat in Arizona does weird things to people....
Wow, good catch! Even I didn't even remember that.

Did you get this from someone else? Cmon, it's okay, even I do that too every now and then.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 07:25 PM   #324
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

You see, TBD thinks that Cohen told the truth the first time he testified before Congress, and then, for some reason, even though he was telling the truth, he said that he actually lied, and got charged for lies he didn't actually tell because they were not lies, they were truths. Now, he's actually telling the truth and TBD thinks he's lying because both can't be the truth, and he prefers to believe whatever true lies fit his personal truths. Got that?.
Further, even though TBD believes Cohen was telling the truth the first time he testified before Congress, and therefore was wrongly convicted, he is still eager to use "Cohen is a convicted liar" as an argument for why Cohen is not credible. It's a delightful merry-go-round of illogic.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 07:53 PM   #325
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Further, even though TBD believes Cohen was telling the truth the first time he testified before Congress, and therefore was wrongly convicted, he is still eager to use "Cohen is a convicted liar" as an argument for why Cohen is not credible. It's a delightful merry-go-round of illogic.
I didn't watch the entire testimony as of yet. But I did see a clip where Cohen said that not one single GOP Congressman asked about the substance of his testimony.
Old 27th February 2019, 07:54 PM   #326
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see how anyone could talk to that guy for five minutes and not realize he's a gutter rat. That only recommends him to work for one kind of client, other gutter rats. Trump apologists should consider that when they try to character assassinate him. They're assassinating the character of the person Trump picked to represent him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:08 PM   #327
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Our barking forumgoer would do well to remember that Trump is accused of doing things far more serious than returning a kettle damaged.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:22 PM   #328
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It was the best of hearings. It was the worst of hearings.

Cohen accused Trump of being a racist, a con man, and a cheat. Ummmm…….yeah. Tell us something we didn't know.

I can understand why someone would hold their nose, and look past the oozing pile of slime that is Donald Trump, and vote for him anyway because they like (most of) his policies, but I would hope that this testimony today would help convince people at least that he really is an oozing pile of slime. For some reason, there are still people who don't get that.

On the other hand, I was looking for the impeachable offense, and I didn't see it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:25 PM   #329
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Cohen accused Trump of being a racist, a con man, and a cheat. Ummmm…….yeah. Tell us something we didn't know.

I can understand why someone would hold their nose, and look past the oozing pile of slime that is Donald Trump, and vote for him anyway because they like (most of) his policies, but I would hope that this testimony today would help convince people at least that he really is an oozing pile of slime. For some reason, there are still people who don't get that.

On the other hand, I was looking for the impeachable offense, and I didn't see it.
You're not going to see evidence of impeachable offences in an official public forum....... yet.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:27 PM   #330
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
That's this dude's MO. I once made a small error in a post and he called me a liar for it (I did respond with a correction). The detail I got wrong was so insignificant it didn't change the point of the post at all. But of course he ignored the rest of the post and instead focused on the one minor error. There's no point engaging him.
It's not just him. Look no further than how the Green New Deal is dismissed based on the single, retracted line about paying those unwilling to work, in no less than a Trump tweet, weeks later.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:27 PM   #331
The Big Dog
Suspended

Hey whats up in this thread?

-spittle soaked attacks

-defending a literal ******* monster

-"skeptics"

lolz
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:36 PM   #332
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I dunno... every time anyone asked about Trump's tax evasion or hinted at insurance fraud, Cohen was very quick to throw Alan Weisselberg's name out. He didn't say "you really need to talk to Alan Weisselberg" outright or anything, but oh wait he said exactly that like half a dozen times.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:39 PM   #333
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

-spittle soaked attacks

-"skeptics"

lolz
Is his former employer also a literal monster?
Old 27th February 2019, 08:45 PM   #334
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Is his former employer also a literal monster?
well his former employer spent the entire day trying to make history.

this literal lying **** spent the entire day pandering to ******* idiots

so cool question bro

Last edited by The Big Dog; 27th February 2019 at 08:52 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:52 PM   #335
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think somebody just admitted they are a troll....
Proving that even a liar can slip up and tell the truth from time to time, despite their best efforts.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:57 PM   #336
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm watching the rerun because I missed a lot.

I missed this: Convicted Russian mobster Felix Sater had a rent free office on the 26th floor of Trump Tower, adjacent to Trump's offices.

Is this something we all have heard about that has a benign explanation?
Old 27th February 2019, 08:57 PM   #337
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

You're not going to see evidence of impeachable offences in an official public forum....... yet.
Yes, there is hope.

If anything does happen, I have a feeling that the Trump Foundation will be the source of it. The little affair with the picture isn't good enough to get him, but it's a safe bet that the whole enterprise was rotten to the core.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:58 PM   #338
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

-spittle soaked attacks

-"skeptics"

lolz
Content rating 0/100 (Certified, content-free post).
Old 27th February 2019, 08:59 PM   #339
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I dunno... every time anyone asked about Trump's tax evasion or hinted at insurance fraud, Cohen was very quick to throw Alan Weisselberg's name out. He didn't say "you really need to talk to Alan Weisselberg" outright or anything, but oh wait he said exactly that like half a dozen times.
Oooh. Missed that. I didn't watch live and I mostly did headline skimming. The major media outlets spent most of their time on the "zinger" sound bites, as they are wont to do.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:00 PM   #340
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Gaetz has apologized for intimidating a witness.

Quote:
I’ve personally apologized to @MichaelCohen212 4 referencing his private family in the public square. Regardless of disagreements, family members should be off-limits from attacks from representatives, senators & presidents, including myself. Let’s leave the Cohen family alone.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:01 PM   #341
The Big Dog
Suspended

Content rating 0/100 (Certified, content-free post).
yeah, your boy is going to prison. ******* sleazy ****

he is a liar and a scumbag
Old 27th February 2019, 09:01 PM   #342
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm watching the rerun because I missed a lot.

I missed this: Convicted Russian mobster Felix Sater had a rent free office on the 26th floor of Trump Tower, adjacent to Trump's offices.

Is this something we all have heard about that has a benign explanation?
Name sounds familiar. It's no secret that he did business with Russian mobsters, so it's not incredibly big news.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:15 PM   #343
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Name sounds familiar. It's no secret that he did business with Russian mobsters, so it's not incredibly big news.
I know. It's just an everyday thing now when a president hangs out with the Russian Mafia.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:15 PM   #344
Steve
Illuminator

yeah, your boy is going to prison. ******* sleazy ****

he is a liar and a scumbag
Betcha can't quote any lies that he told at the hearings today.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:17 PM   #345
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I know. It's just an everyday thing now when a president hangs out with the Russian Mafia.
The future of USA politics. Help whoever pays the most.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:18 PM   #346
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

well his former employer spent the entire day...
...sucking up to his second-best buddy and rolling over to get his tummy rubbed.

....trying to make history.
He's already made history - he's the only world leader stupid enough to believe anything Kim Jong Un tells him.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:19 PM   #347
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Betcha can't quote any lies that he told at the hearings today.
You mean other than the ones I already posted?

Michael Cohen. Hero of the left
Old 27th February 2019, 09:21 PM   #348
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A rent-free office on the same floor as Trump's in Trump Tower?

Wonder just what business that was Trump was doing.

Continuing to watch the rerun of parts I missed: Bob Gibbs, Republican from Ohio is slurring his words as he berates Cohen.

One of the Democrats just noted the correct wording of a document "a foreign governmental agency" that a Republican was falsely describing as "any foreign agency" which Cohen answered "no" to on the form because his interactions were not with a governmental agency.

We're on to another round of insulting Cohen by Rep Higgins, GOP Congressman. This idiot is referring to boxes returned by the FBI to Cohen after they had gone through them suggesting Cohen is hiding the boxes from the Committee. Higgins is not quite slurring his words but he's speaking slowly and like he's spaced out or something.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:21 PM   #349
a_unique_person

It's molehills and strawmen all the way down.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 27th February 2019 at 09:27 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:23 PM   #350
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Oooh. Missed that. I didn't watch live and I mostly did headline skimming. The major media outlets spent most of their time on the "zinger" sound bites, as they are wont to do.
Well I watched the first 4½ hours live (4am to about 8:30am here - until they broke for an hour for voting in the House) I can tell you that, for at least that period, EVERY time he was asked if there was anyone who could corroborate, or that he felt that Congress needed to talk to, he put Alan Weissberg's name out there..
Old 27th February 2019, 09:23 PM   #351
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I just watched a rerum of AOC's questioning.

Wow. She manages to get right into things doesn't she. And....she's young, but she's no lightweight.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:24 PM   #352
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Michael Cohen has lied many times, and admitted this.

Michael Cohen does not always lie.

In this regard Michael Cohen is no different than any other person
The main difference between Michael Cohen's lies and the lies of most other people is that Michael Cohen's lies have a serious impact on USA politics.

Any statements that Michael Cohen has made today that are backed up by documented evidence. These are demonstrably not lies.

Calling Cohen a liar serves no purpose beyond inflating your own ego in your own eyes.
Michael said that he is a liar. Since he is a liar, can we believe him when he says that he is a liar?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:28 PM   #353
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Michael said that he is a liar. Since he is a liar, can we believe him when he says that he is a liar?
When his sentence could be increased to more than three years, maybe.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:29 PM   #354
Steve
Illuminator

No, I mean any.

Go on, do one, just for me. Crush me. I deserve it for being a socialist bastard just like Cohen. You would enjoy it soooo much.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:33 PM   #355
The Big Dog
Suspended

No, I mean any.

Go on, do one, just for me. Crush me. I deserve it for being a socialist bastard just like Cohen. You would enjoy it soooo much.
Sure

https://www.lawfareblog.com/document...-mueller-probe

He is your hero....

Lolz
Old 27th February 2019, 09:42 PM   #356
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I've never defended Michael Cohen. How many times have you defended Michael Cohen?
Old 27th February 2019, 09:58 PM   #357
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

well his former employer spent the entire day trying to make history.

this literal lying **** spent the entire day pandering to ******* idiots

so cool question bro
Anything to report about the other days? Some of those days Cohen was talking about?
Old 27th February 2019, 10:13 PM   #358
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Is TBD trying to misdirect people's attention?

Whatever you do, folks, don't look at the dumpster-fire that is the Cohen revelations - nothing to see there, just some liar trying for a book-deal apparently.

Instead, please keeps your eyes on the dumpster-fire that is his former boss's pathetic attempt to suck up to Kim. Watch as the younger guy makes Trump do all sorts of pathetic stuff at no cost to him. Oh look! Nothing much happened. All sorts of nice words, but really, it was a chance for them both to have an overseas holiday at public expense.

And this, at the presser. Journalists doing Trump's job for him.
Quote:
Journalist: Chairman Kim are you ready to allow the United States to have an office in Pyongyang? Are you ready for that step?

Trump: That’s actually a good question, I would actually like to hear the answer to that question. Not a bad idea.

Kim: I think that is something that would be welcomable.

Journalist: Is it a welcome idea today? To be announced?

Trump: I actually think it’s a good idea. Both ways.

Kim: If you would kindly give us more time between us, because even one minute is more precious to us. Thank you.

Trump: Thank you.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 27th February 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:24 PM   #359
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I just watched a rerum of AOC's questioning.

Wow. She manages to get right into things doesn't she. And....she's young, but she's no lightweight.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:38 PM   #360
Steve
Illuminator

Wrong! That was not today. Your comprehension of my question is poor. Read it again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics