ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th March 2019, 10:35 AM   #1
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Flirting with AOC While Being A Progressive Journalist

Mother Jones bureau chief, former editor for The Nation, and George Polk Award winner David Corn tweets:
I just spotted obscene anti-@AOC graffiti in a bathroom stall in the Phoenix airport. Yes, really. (Not going to post a photo of it.)

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...93293413998597
Airport staff respond to the tweet, asking David for the location of the graffiti so that they can clean it up. Corn obliges, and the airport staff replies that they found no graffiti at that location:

https://twitter.com/PHXSkyHarbor/sta...85450100203520

Corn tweets in response:
I didn’t want to post a pic of the graffiti because that would be spreading the work of a deplorable. But here’s a pic showing where it occurred with the message blacked out. No doubt, disbelieving conservatives will still call this a Deep State plot. Oh well.

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...47659035807744
I would like to clarify one point: I'm a conservative, and I don't believe Corn's claim, but I don't think this is a "Deep State plot". It's just more evidence that the media is not your friend.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:36 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This isn't even a Nothingburger. It's a nothingafterdinnermint.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:37 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This isn't even a Nothingburger. It's a nothingafterdinnermint.
It's kinda tragicomic. Did you check out the photo Corn provided in is followup tweet?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:55 AM   #4
ahhell
Master Poster

What? Obscene graffiti directed at a politician, shocking!

This is absolutely a nothing, one wonders why this Corn fella bothered taking a picture or tweeting about it whether it happened or not.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Flirting?
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 11:49 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Flirting?
Poetic license. He links AOC's Twitter account in his initial tweet. "Virtue signaling" is probably more apropos, but I figured I'd change it up a bit. He could have picked any progressive politician or celebrity for his story. He chose AOC.

Anyway, don't get stuck on the thread title. Keep reading through to his photo of the graffiti itself.
Old 7th March 2019, 11:54 AM   #7
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
What? Obscene graffiti directed at a politician, shocking!

This is absolutely a nothing, one wonders why this Corn fella bothered taking a picture or tweeting about it whether it happened or not.
Victimhood by proxy. He's a straight white male, so he's only allowed to be offended on other people's behalf. And he oh so wants to be offended. It's a currency in certain circles.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:01 PM   #8
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's kinda tragicomic.
IMO it's more than kinda tragicomic.

I love the Venn diagram posted by ConservativeBlackMan in response.
Old 7th March 2019, 12:21 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post

The circles were too close together
Old 7th March 2019, 12:39 PM   #10
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Victimhood by proxy. He's a straight white male, so he's only allowed to be offended on other people's behalf. And he oh so wants to be offended. It's a currency in certain circles.
Still, even if this is 100 percent fact based* why? Its so incredibly banal, are we went to be outraged or offended by something I've seen dozens or hundreds of times? I'm perplexed.

*This is so mundane as I have little doubt its true, its almost hard to believe there isn't some obscene anti-AOC graffiti in the phoenix airport bathroom, right next to the stall with the **** trump graffiti.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 01:06 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Still, even if this is 100 percent fact based* why? Its so incredibly banal, are we went to be outraged or offended by something I've seen dozens or hundreds of times? I'm perplexed. : boggled :

*This is so mundane as I have little doubt its true, its almost hard to believe there isn't some obscene anti-AOC graffiti in the phoenix airport bathroom, right next to the stall with the **** trump graffiti.
Going through airports a lot, I don't recall their bathrooms having much graffiti at all. Are you sure this kind of thing is commonplace in airport bathrooms? I guess I'll have to keep an eye out, the next time I'm on a plane. Maybe it's specific to Phoenix for some reason? I dunno.

Also, if such graffiti is so common, why does David Corn's photo of the graffiti not show any graffiti?
Old 7th March 2019, 01:36 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Going through airports a lot, I don't recall their bathrooms having much graffiti at all. Are you sure this kind of thing is commonplace in airport bathrooms? I guess I'll have to keep an eye out, the next time I'm on a plane. Maybe it's specific to Phoenix for some reason? I dunno.
Anyone could use a marker to write or draw something on a bathroom stall tile wall.

Quote:
Also, if such graffiti is so common, why does David Corn's photo of the graffiti not show any graffiti?
He seems to have intentionally censored it by blacking it out. Or so he says. I can see the digital black blurring.

It's not possible to see if there is any graffiti beneath the black blur censoring. Is that what you are getting at?
Old 7th March 2019, 01:51 PM   #13
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Anyone could use a marker to write or draw something on a bathroom stall tile wall.

He seems to have intentionally censored it by blacking it out. Or so he says. I can see the digital black blurring.

It's not possible to see if there is any graffiti beneath the black blur censoring. Is that what you are getting at?
I'm also curious why all the other screen frames and random squiggles/mistakes while the actual relevant photo is literally a thumbnail.

Is this whole thing a metaphor for Mother Jones' editorial philosophy?

Full disclosure: I used to respect this outlet somewhat, it has waned of late.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 01:53 PM   #14
ahhell
Master Poster

Ok, maybe not airports, bus station bathrooms for sure and numerous bars and shool bathrooms. Point is, even if true, who gives a ****** and why would this guy think anyone would give a ******

Last edited by ahhell; 7th March 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 7th March 2019, 01:59 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. Anyone can take a photo of a bathroom wall, blur out a section, and claim they're outraged by whatever is behind the blur. The comedy is that David Corn somehow thought it was helpful to put this photo on twitter in support of his claim.
Old 7th March 2019, 02:03 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, maybe not airports, bus station bathrooms for sure and numerous bars and shool bathrooms. Point is, even if true, who gives a ****** and why would this guy think anyone would give a ******
One recurring theme on this forum in the past few years, also echoed elsewhere, is that Americans - especially the white majority - are much more bigoted than anyone realizes, and much more bigoted than they are willing to admit. David Corn probably thinks that a lot of people would care quite a bit about evidence of this bigotry. Bringing out the truth, and forcing the White Devils to admit it, is pretty important to some people. Maybe you've noticed the recent spate of "... While Black" threads around here?

This is David Corn's effort to advance the same conversation within his circles of influence and support.
Old 7th March 2019, 02:15 PM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. Anyone can take a photo of a bathroom wall, blur out a section, and claim they're outraged by whatever is behind the blur. The comedy is that David Corn somehow thought it was helpful to put this photo on twitter in support of his claim.
It's not the same kind of hoax debunking that occurred with Jussie Smollett. You can't be certain that there isn't hate graffiti beneath the censor.

Maybe he will be challenged and then actually post the same photo without the censor.

It's not yet certain to be another hate crime hoax, but it does have some of what it takes to be a hoax.
Old 7th March 2019, 02:22 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's not the same kind of hoax debunking that occurred with Jussie Smollett. You can't be certain that there isn't hate graffiti beneath the censor.
We couldn't be certain that Smollett wasn't attacked, either.

Quote:
Maybe he will be challenged and then actually post the same photo without the censor.

It's not yet certain to be another hate crime hoax, but it does have some of what it takes to be a hoax.
It has everything it takes to advance a hate crime narrative, short of actually providing evidence of a hate crime. Which is, coincidentally, everything it takes to be a hoax.

But ahhell is right, the whole thing is so banal that even if it turns out to be true, Corn beclowns himself for tweeting it. He doubly beclowns himself for bringing it up in a way that makes it look very much like a hoax. If it turns out to be a hoax, he triply beclowns himself. I hope it's not a hoax, as my sides are already struggling.

ETA: I'm gonna say David Corn is definitely challenged.

Last edited by theprestige; 7th March 2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 7th March 2019, 02:32 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's possible that Corn used a marker on that wall to create fake hate graffiti. Then takes a picture of his own work and censors it.

If that is true he might release the uncensored picture to "prove" that the graffiti really was there underneath the censor.
Old 7th March 2019, 02:56 PM   #20
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I got a chuckle out of re-reading his opening tweet:

Quote:
I just spotted obscene anti-@AOC graffiti in a bathroom stall in the Phoenix airport. Yes, really.
The part that strikes me as funny is the "yes, really." As if the claim of obscene anti-@AOC graffiti in a bathroom stall could only be met with a gasp of incredulity.

I guess the other funny part is that he felt compelled to at-mention AOC herself. I think the suggestion of flirting was not far off the mark.
Old 7th March 2019, 03:08 PM   #21
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Agreed. The memes in that thread are really quite good.

The circles were too close together
That was the best comment.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 03:12 PM   #22
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The part that strikes me as funny is the "yes, really." As if the claim of obscene anti-@AOC graffiti in a bathroom stall could only be met with a gasp of incredulity.

I guess the other funny part is that he felt compelled to at-mention AOC herself. I think the suggestion of flirting was not far off the mark.
I thought it a bit over the top at first, but well within poetic license for a thread title. But yeah, the more I think about it, the more creepy it seems. I'm sure she will be looking forward to meeting him sometime soon. Ah, the creepy bathroom journalist, so nice to meet you?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 03:14 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the "yes, really" was directed at AOC fans who can't imagine anyone hating her, or if it was directed at White Devils unwilling to admit how much they hate AOC.
Old 7th March 2019, 03:16 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

My, how desperate the Trumpies are getting......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 03:17 PM   #25
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't think that Corn is a Trumpie
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 03:20 PM   #26
ahhell
Master Poster

?????
Old 7th March 2019, 03:22 PM   #27
Garrison
Illuminator

US deficit at a 10 year high after all Trump's promises to reduce it, deafening silence from our resident Trumpistas. Argument over whether obscene graffiti about AOC exists and suddenly they all have an opinion they just have to share.
Old 7th March 2019, 03:23 PM   #28
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
US deficit at a 10 year high after all Trump's promises to reduce it, deafening silence from our resident Trumpistas. Argument over whether obscene graffiti about AOC exists and suddenly they all have an opinion they just have to share.
STOP TALKING ABOUT HILARIOUS THINGS I DON'T LIKE!

Hee hee!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 03:53 PM   #29
wareyin
Philosopher

To be fair, the claim of graffiti in an airport bathroom seems to have been met with a gasp of incredulity by the thread starter himself.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:00 PM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
To be fair, the claim of graffiti in an airport bathroom seems to have been met with a gasp of incredulity by the thread starter himself.
More like a meh of incredulity. And I could be completely misremembering my experience of airport bathrooms. They're not something I tend to fix in my mind (who would). Maybe they really are a wretched hive of political obscenities. I'll pay closer attention the next time I'm traveling. If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to apologize to everyone in this thread for my mistake.
Old 7th March 2019, 04:02 PM   #31
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
It's glaring, isn't it? Like that MAGA- hat kid getting abused - so important to thrash that story to death. It's classic displacement behaviour.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:37 PM   #32
wareyin
Philosopher

More like a meh of incredulity. And I could be completely misremembering my experience of airport bathrooms. They're not something I tend to fix in my mind (who would). Maybe they really are a wretched hive of political obscenities. I'll pay closer attention the next time I'm traveling. If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to apologize to everyone in this thread for my mistake.
Well, if a seasoned airport traveler such as yourself finds the possibility of obscene graffiti in an airport unlikely, and I found some, I'd probably add something like "yes really" when I told you.

I await your report of the airport bathrooms with, well, to be honest more of a meh myself. So no, feel free to not report back on that one.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:47 PM   #33
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

We'll keep an eye on your Twitter feed for updates.
Old 7th March 2019, 04:48 PM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

We'll keep an eye on your Twitter feed for updates.
You should know that I will blur out any supporting evidence before I present it.
Old 7th March 2019, 04:49 PM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I can't blame anyone for fliting with AOC though; she is quite attractive...(and if you this had nothing to do with all the attention she is getting you are living in la la land)....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:55 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I can't blame anyone for fliting with AOC though; she is quite attractive...(and if you this had nothing to do with all the attention she is getting you are living in la la land)....
Hopefully David Corn is into her because of her ideas and not her body or her popularity.
Old 7th March 2019, 05:29 PM   #37
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She's all yours, mate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-2-color.w700.h700.jpg (123.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 7th March 2019, 06:47 PM   #38
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

If you want to see someone flirting with AOC, check out Ben Shapiro on twitter.

That is one thirsty right-wing boy.
Old 8th March 2019, 07:30 AM   #39
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Seriously. I think we have most of the Trumpers who aren't bots posting in here to show how very hard they are snickering up their sleeves. Look! Look at how hard they snicker! Can you see? Look!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 12:14 PM   #40
carlitos
"más divertido"

It's kinda tragicomic. Did you check out the photo Corn provided in his followup tweet?
A screencap of a tiny thumbnail of no graffiti. Sounds legit!

My favorite response:

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics