ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 14th March 2019, 11:25 PM   #161
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 14th March 2019 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Edit: Sorry Phantom. Missed your post
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:27 PM   #162
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
40 confirmed dead.

Officially been called an act of Terrorism now.
Geezes H

And I would imagine we could expect more given the obvious injuries
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:28 PM   #163
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

40 confirmed dead.

Sakes.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:32 PM   #164
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

PM says of the arrested that 1 was the primary attacker, 2 were connected with the attack, and the 4th was not directly connected, but won't explain further.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:34 PM   #165
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

48 seriously injured also, being treated in various hospitals about Christchurch.

PM repeats Police and Media requests for people to not watch the livestream footage.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:37 PM   #166
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

None of them were on Watchlists. PM says that more will come from the police on this. Is not aware of them being on watchlists in Australia either.

Investigations will need to be made into how the weapons were obtained.

Old 14th March 2019, 11:38 PM   #167
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Suspect's cars both had IEDs attached to them, were disabled by Defense Force.

Can't confirm that one of the men had an IED attached to themselves.

Old 14th March 2019, 11:40 PM   #168
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Security level has been raised to High.

Islamic Worshipers are being told to not congregate in Mosques for the time being. Police are still on high alert for any more events.

Old 14th March 2019, 11:42 PM   #169
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

None of them were on Watchlists. PM says that more will come from the police on this. Is not aware of them being on watchlists in Australia either.

Investigations will need to be made into how the weapons were obtained.
Aussie reporter on 3 news at 6 said the bloke was a known person with the Aussie authorities.

Whatever that means

Aussie are checking nothing is happening with his associates over there.

This could get internationally sensitive re sharing info

Old 14th March 2019, 11:42 PM   #170
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

20 of the injured are considered critical, 12 theatres are in use.....

Old 14th March 2019, 11:49 PM   #171
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Aussie reporter on 3 news at 6 said the bloke was a known person with the Aussie authorities.

Whatever that means
It probably means he already has a criminal record. Being "known to the police" is usually a euphemism for that. It's been confirmed that he wasn't on any terrorism watch lists though.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:49 PM   #172
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

40 confirmed dead.

****, this is like what happened here with Breivik.

Stay strong, NZ.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:52 PM   #173
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It probably means he already has a criminal record. Being "known to the police" is usually a euphemism for that. It's been confirmed that he wasn't on any terrorism watch lists though.
Is that sort of thing checked for taking a flight or entering the country? Would a criminal record cause travel problems in NZ or AUS? Assuming the record is not just minor, I mean.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:53 PM   #174
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

40 dead. Goodness. I wish there was a nearby Mosque where I could spread some kindness and sympathy.

Apparently there just happened to be a massive AOS (Police Armed Offenders Squad) training excersize happening in ChCh, which is why there was such a huge response city wide.

Probably bad to describe this as "a good thing", but kind of handy
Well, I can hear the furious typing by the conspiracy minded. Expect there to be claims it was all fake by morning.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:54 PM   #175
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

Stay strong, NZ.
Yes, this is sounding too familiar to a Norwegian.. :/

As will the mental gymnastics that now will come from people who cheered on people with outspoken opinions like this. They won't agree with his actions, but.......

My thoughts are with New Zealand today.
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:54 PM   #176
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There has been a controlled detonation at the Britomart Transport Centre in Auckland.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:55 PM   #177
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The "kebab remover" seems to be a reference to a Murdoch Murdoch episode -- Sargon the Afraid.

"Is that the laser weapon we've been funding for Israel?"

"The Palestinian Remover 9000. The only thing I like about Jews is how good they are at removing kebabs."

https://youtu.be/V2-W9za0fF8?t=440
Remove Kebab is an old joke from the wars in former Yugoslavia.

https://youtu.be/ocW3fBqPQkU
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:56 PM   #178
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Yes, this is sounding too familiar to a Norwegian.. :/

As will the mental gymnastics that now will come from people who cheered on people with outspoken opinions like this. They won't agree with his actions, but.......

My thoughts are with New Zealand today.
Agreed on all points.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:57 PM   #179
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I have to say I am getting slightly annoyed at the whole social media thing.

A friend said his 10 year old and his friends stumbled on the video and watched it.

As at one stage before they starting wiping it was every where

I know it is almost impossible to get around but ffs

Old 14th March 2019, 11:58 PM   #180
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The number of people in custody is now officially three. No information on why that changed.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:59 PM   #181
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I watched his video. He killed virtually every person in that first mosque. I would estimate around 30-60 dead at that mosque.
Looks like your count is pretty good.

Latest is "at least 40 dead".

Stay strong, NZ.
Slight difference was Breivik was killing people he thought loved Muslims and immigrants. This bloke just went to the source.

I really don't think it will make any long term difference to NZ or NZers. Especially as the guy's an Australian. Might make the underarm the second-worst thing an they've ever done to us, though.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:03 AM   #182
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I have to say I am getting slightly annoyed at the whole social media thing.

A friend said his 10 year old and his friends stumbled on the video and watched it.

As at one stage before they starting wiping it was every where

I know it is almost impossible to get around but ffs
But show a nipple and the 'bots will remove it in seconds.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:04 AM   #183
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The number of people in custody is now officially three. No information on why that changed.
Earlier, the PM had said that the fourth person in custody "was not directly connected". Perhaps that individual was released.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:06 AM   #184
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

There has been a controlled detonation at the Britomart Transport Centre in Auckland.
Yep, they blew up a couple of backpackers' packs.

No doubt they'll come back to the station and walk into a maelstrom. I daren't begin to hope they blew the whole thing up - it is the world's most idiotic station, with one track in and the same one out.

Our cops are a bit on edge, despite having caught the perps in record time. I can only assume they were in a car speeding; that being by far the most likely way the cops catch anyone in this country.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:10 AM   #185
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

They can be forgiven for being a little bit jumpy right now.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:12 AM   #186
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Interesting point raised by an Aussie woman friend of mine just now - their cops are very keen at keeping tabs on potential muslim terrorists, to the extent of arresting one bloke for having a plastic sword.

Are they as conscientious at keeping an eye on white blokes with extreme tendencies the other way?

(No racists in the Aussie police, are there?)
Old 15th March 2019, 12:15 AM   #187
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Interesting point raised by an Aussie woman friend of mine just now - their cops are very keen at keeping tabs on potential muslim terrorists, to the extent of arresting one bloke for having a plastic sword.

Are they as conscientious at keeping an eye on white blokes with extreme tendencies the other way?

Pretty sure the answer is "no".
Old 15th March 2019, 12:16 AM   #188
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If any Aussies on here have influence with Twitter, would they mind temporarily banning Senator Fraser Anning please and his rants?

Or just go round and give him a slap

Thanks

Last edited by cullennz; 15th March 2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:20 AM   #189
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Of course there are racists in the Aussie police. There are racists all over the goddamn place here.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:20 AM   #190
Baylor
Philosopher

Sure. I clicked the link, and all I see is you cheering for children being locked in cages.

Nothing about actual terrorism, except for the whole innocent kids being treated like animals. But whatever.
Another "skeptic" ignoring threats of terrorism.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:21 AM   #191
Hungry81
Master Poster

Scum. How strong are NZ anti terrorisim laws? Hopefully they successfully prosecute him and his accomplaces to the fullest extent of the law.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:21 AM   #192
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

If any Aussies on here have influence with Twitter, would they mind temporarily banning Senator Fraser Anning please and his rants?

Or just go round and give him a slap

Thanks
I've seen some pretty savage comebacks to that bottom-feeding windbag. But I won't have any of his crap on my Twitter feed.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:24 AM   #193
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Of course there are racists in the Aussie police. There are racists all over the goddamn place here.
I was a bit tongue in cheek there.

I usually describe Aussie as a good place to be white.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:24 AM   #194
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not, or else something like this wouldn't happen.

Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and claim someone - a group of people - was incited by the years and years of radical Islamic violence all over the world and decided Muslims must die for the rest of us to be safe.

It's not like when Muslims go on a rampage. They aren't incitable at all, it's always a case of undiagnosed mental illness with them.

McHrozni
Old 15th March 2019, 12:24 AM   #195
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've seen some pretty savage comebacks to that bottom-feeding windbag. But I won't have any of his crap on my Twitter feed.
Indeed

Every country has their own examples of cretin

But geezes I hope this ends his career

Old 15th March 2019, 12:27 AM   #196
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was a bit tongue in cheek there.

I usually describe Aussie as a good place to be white.
It is a good place to be white. But we did some bloody ****** things to make it that way.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:29 AM   #197
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Latest What We Know So Far, same source as before:

Quote:
Forty people been killed and 20 injured in a terrorist attack on two mosques in Christchurch, which occurred during afternoon prayers.
Three people – one of them an Australian-born man – are in custody.
It was described as “a terrorist attack” by NZ prime minister Jacinda Ardern, and an “extremist, right-wing violent terrorist [attack]” by Australian prime minister Scott Morrison.
Christchurch remains on lockdown.
Ardern said: “Many directly affected by this shooting may be migrants to New Zealand, they may even be refugees here...They are us. The person who has perpetuated this violence against us is not.”
The attacker is believed to have livestreamed at least one of the attacks. Police urged people not to share the “distressing” footage, which many Australian news outlets ignored.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:29 AM   #198
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and claim someone - a group of people - was incited by the years and years of radical Islamic violence all over the world and decided Muslims must die for the rest of us to be safe.
McHrozni
Nah, just a plain, ordinary nutter.

If it hadn't been muslims he'd have found something else to aim his hatred at.

Gutless scumbag who looked for the softest target he could find.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:36 AM   #199
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

News outlets broadcast that???

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:37 AM   #200
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
News outlets broadcast that???
The video of him killing?

Yes

Against the polices requests not to

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events