ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:39 AM   #81
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
...Cows have no sense of right or wrong.
Nor do homeopaths, judging from the examples before us.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:56 AM   #82
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Maybe it's a language thing, so I'll give you the definition of their's that best fits what the "user testimonials" intended.

I'll even bold the most appropriate...

I originally had an issue thinking there's a high likelihood that anyone taking this crap is also on prescribed medications for pain or illness. Side effects from interactions are a VERY REAL CONCERN!

Homeopathic scam product or not, there may actually be some measure of St John's wort additives... so I can't even say there's no danger of interactions/side effects.

Your aside about fruit seems incoherently unrelated.
There are plenty of herbal remedies, and even common foodstuffs that can cause bad reactions together.

Shaggy ink cap mushrooms are perfectly edible, except if you have alcohol with them, when they are poisonous.

And a list of some others here - highlighted the one you mentioned...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831618/

Quote:
Patients are increasingly using herbal products for purportedly preventive and therapeutic purposes (6). Some products have direct effects on the cardiovascular or hemostatic system, whereas others have indirect effects through interactions with medications that could lead to serious consequences (4). Common herbal remedies that produce adverse effects on the cardiovascular system include St. Johnís wort, motherwort, ginseng, gingko biloba, garlic, grapefruit juice, hawthorn, saw palmetto, danshen, echinacea, tetrandrine, aconite, yohimbine, gynura, licorice, and black cohosh (Table 1).
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:19 PM   #83
Kumar

No they don't. Plants are alive. They have no sense of right or wrong. The neighborhood dog that keeps barking and keeping me awake has no sense of right or wrong. Cows have no sense of right or wrong.
We can. All beings can. It does not look to us, it is different. Plants move towards sunlight source. Their roots move towards nutrients and water, do suggest it.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:29 PM   #84
Kumar

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Nor do homeopaths, judging from the examples before us.
Someone beutifully said:

DISCUSSIONS ARE ALWAYS
BETTER THAN ARGUMENTS

because an argument is to
find out who is right, and
a discussion is to find
What is right

Good luck.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:52 PM   #85
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Feel by taking completely natural and processod food. Apart from therapeutic effect, food effect is also there, which is completely naturally followed, should not have side effects.

"Might cause weight gain" is a not uncommon potential side effect listed for many medications.

Maybe food should be labelled with such a warning.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:33 PM   #86
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

We can. All beings can. It does not look to us, it is different. Plants move towards sunlight source. Their roots move towards nutrients and water, do suggest it.
We can what? All beings can what? It? It what? What doesn't look to us? What is different? How is it different?

Plants moving to light shows that plants know what is right and wrong?

Do you know what you're even talking about?

If you can't learn how to speak English on an English speaking how can we discuss things? You have been here long enough that there is no excuse for your lack of education.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:40 PM   #87
Kumar

We can what? All beings can what? It? It what? What doesn't look to us? What is different? How is it different?

Plants moving to light shows that plants know what is right and wrong?

Do you know what you're even talking about?
What make plants to move toward light source and their roots to move toward nutrient source?
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:54 PM   #88
Kumar

Actually, completely natural, natural, completely natural to us, natural to us, derived from completely natural & natural products, derived from completely natural & natural products to us etc. should have some variations in meaning and product. To whatever, we have inharent sense or right or wrong OR to whatever our body system can process well pre-understood should me natural TO US. I am not sure, to justify it, whether living under natural conditions to us is also relevant. Probably, a person living in natural environment not disturbed by modern interventions, taking natural foods to him in natural form, may perfectly be stamped as "completely natural. ??
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:06 PM   #89
Kumar

To look more accuretely, we can also see, whatever natural gives or whatever we take using force from nature also make difference. A tree giving fruit to us(purpose: dispersal of its seeds) on its natural detachment from tree OR we pluck it using force(may even not be fully riped), is to be looked. About derived from natural products can also cause variations: a fruit taken from a tree(nature's product) or juice extracted from a fruit(natural product) is a variation in natural products--former should be completely natural later not. Sellers/Manufactures impressing their product as natural, can take benefits from above variations but should not be perfectly justified.
Old 4th October 2017, 01:24 AM   #90
Kumar

In shory, to be completely natural all angles related to it should be considered. Even plants grown under unnatural environment and practices, should not justify "natural" and a person living under unnatural environment and lifestyle may not be having proper inhrent sense of right or wrong..

However for the sake of practicality or otherwise, Regulating Authorites may define i8t bit differently:
Quote:
From a food science perspective, it is difficult to define a food product that is 'natural' because the food has probably been processed and is no longer the product of the earth. That said, FDA has not developed a definition for use of the term natural or its derivatives. However, the agency has not objected to the use of the term if the food does not contain added color, artificial flavors, or synthetic substances. For more information, see "Natural" on Food Labeling.
https://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transpa.../ucm214868.htm
Old 4th October 2017, 02:17 PM   #91
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Actually, completely natural, natural, completely natural to us, natural to us, derived from completely natural & natural products, derived from completely natural & natural products to us etc. should have some variations in meaning and product. To whatever, we have inharent sense or right or wrong OR to whatever our body system can process well pre-understood should me natural TO US. I am not sure, to justify it, whether living under natural conditions to us is also relevant. Probably, a person living in natural environment not disturbed by modern interventions, taking natural foods to him in natural form, may perfectly be stamped as "completely natural. ??

Cooking would be right out, obviously.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:18 PM   #92
Kumar

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Cooking would be right out, obviously.
Difficult to say. If it is in our practice since ages, it can be stamped a a natural practice.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:07 PM   #93
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Difficult to say. If it is in our practice since ages, it can be stamped a a natural practice.

How long is that? In years, or even centuries, or millennia.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:28 PM   #94
Kumar

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
How long is that? In years, or even centuries, or millennia.
It is bit difficult to say, how much time it can take for things to become natural. But completely natural, should justify completely natural. Naturally grown, naturally offered, naturally obtained and naturally used under natural environment. Seems bit difficult to achieve it. Partly natural should be possible like cooked foods if cooking is practiced since ages.
Old 6th October 2017, 01:44 AM   #95
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

So if people keep on using a drug for long enough, do all its side-effects magically vanish?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 01:56 AM   #96
Kumar

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
So if people keep on using a drug for long enough, do all its side-effects magically vanish?

Dave
Both real and side effects can vanish. Common understanding. Read;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_tolerance

Many other similar/relevant terms can also be take from this site. Desenstization, addiction, physiological dependance, resistances etc.

I think, I have discussed something in "Big Question" topic posted by me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology