ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:32 PM   #1681
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
It looks like everything happened the way it should

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

She was saddened to learn the story wasn't true ? Was she happy when she first heard it ? An 11 year old girl wasn't attacked and traumatized and this woman is saddened that she wasn't ?

Let me guess, Amira Elghawaby spends an awful lot of time calling people Islamophobes and she's just had a prime opportunity yanked out from under her.
I'd guess that she meant she was saddened that someone lied and that it could hurt their cause. Your second paragraph may be true but I've never heard of this person before 4 minutes ago, so <shrug>
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 04:00 PM   #1682
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
It looks like everything happened the way it should

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

She was saddened to learn the story wasn't true ? Was she happy when she first heard it ? An 11 year old girl wasn't attacked and traumatized and this woman is saddened that she wasn't ?

Let me guess, Amira Elghawaby spends an awful lot of time calling people Islamophobes and she's just had a prime opportunity yanked out from under her.
I would guess she was attempting to be polite about it, rather than just saying "I was sad to find out that this was a total fraud that ends up working against a good cause"

ETA: What mgidm86 said ^^^

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 19th January 2018 at 04:02 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 04:16 PM   #1683
Stout
Illuminator

That could be what she meant. It just seemed an odd way to phrase it, for a writer.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM   #1684
Wolrab
Illuminator

The nerve of you guys. Haven't you learned that no matter how many of those horrific acts are found out to be fraudulent, the rest are definitely Trump supporters being racists.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #1685
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
The nerve of you guys. Haven't you learned that no matter how many of those horrific acts are found out to be fraudulent, the rest are definitely Trump supporters being racists.
I know you're been being sarcastic, but I would actually be willing to stipulate this, as a starting point for discussion.

On the other hand it seems that the current demand for hate crimes can only be met by an increase in the supply of counterfeit product.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #1686
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, there haven't been enough murders and beatings. No problem.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #1687
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Yeah, there haven't been enough murders and beatings. No problem.
LOL. Sarcasm. Unserious much?

What are you trying to say? Speak plainly.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #1688
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2017/...-radical-right

"The most dramatic growth was the near-tripling of anti-Muslim hate groups – from 34 in 2015 to 101 last year."
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:13 AM   #1689
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
As the Unite the right march showed most trump supporters are really good people. Just one deplorable there and suddenly you have to condemn them all.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:14 AM   #1690
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
LOL. Sarcasm. Unserious much?

What are you trying to say? Speak plainly.
Look at all these false flags.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/u-...ght-every-year

Good people, nothing deplorable about that.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events