ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 1st April 2020, 08:07 PM   #1201
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Turkey?

But if you're referring to Australia you are correct; might as well call it New China.

Why are you even asking this if you know that Sid is an Australian who lived in Turkey for a while? Of course I'm referring to Australia.
Old 1st April 2020, 08:31 PM   #1202
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Because he's a public figure in his 70s and has never shown any evidence of being a womanizer, a groper, anything.

Everyone is not guilty because someone accuses them.
Ah I see, if you've never been accused of sexual assault before then it can never happen. Thankfully that perturbed thinking went out the window several decades ago. Maybe try googling MeToo.

Last edited by ProBonoShill; 1st April 2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary snark
ProBonoShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 10:00 PM   #1203
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Turkey?

But if you're referring to Australia you are correct; might as well call it New China.
We do. The alliance with the US was fun while it lasted but with your commitment to clown-car leadership it was time to switch.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 1st April 2020 at 10:01 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 10:03 PM   #1204
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Quote:
Because he's a public figure in his 70s and has never shown any evidence of being a womanizer, a groper, anything.
Everyone is not guilty because someone accuses them.
Ah I see, if you've never been accused of sexual assault then it never took placed. Thankfully that perturbed thinking went out the window several decades ago. Maybe try googling MeToo before making any other stupid rationalizations.
Yes, sexual assault does happen. Yes, unfortunately it does go unreported in far too many cases.

But, false accusations do happen as well. False accusations certainly don't make up the majority of cases, nor is it an excuse for automatically dismissing all reports of assault. But some studies have shown the incidences of false accusation of between 2 and 10%. (This includes cases where the victim has recanted, or conclusive proof is provided that the allegations were untrue.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape

Reade's case does have a few red flags.... a history of giving inconsistent testimony (both about the assault and other things) by the victim, a strange subplot involving the victim's infatuation with Putin (and a subsequent attempt to cleanse her account). This doesn't necessarily mean that her story should be ignored, but it does mean that we should proceed with caution before we jump on the "Biden the rapist" bandwagon.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 10:42 PM   #1205
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
We do. The alliance with the US was fun while it lasted but with your commitment to clown-car leadership it was time to switch.
Since the Australian government works for Chinese interests, (Sam Dastyari for those who love to google), I agree it's best US leaves Australia to its bat soup.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:01 AM   #1206
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
According to the Salon article I posted, I think that yes it was a russian friend.

She has certainly made efforts to scrub her Putin-love.

I think the documentary is a 4-hour series he did called The Putin Interviews.

From: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...een-better-off
Stone’s epic four-part film The Putin Interviews was described by the Daily Beast as a “wildly irresponsible love letter” to Russia’s president. It “says as much about Oliver Stone as it does Vladimir Putin”, said CNN. “Flattery, but little scepticism,” said the New York Times.
Thanks for the clarification. I should have followed your link and read that story first but I was in a bit of a hurry at the time so I left it for later.
I'm reading it now and it seems to be pretty well reported.

Here's that link again:
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics