IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin

Closed Thread
Old 14th January 2018, 08:16 PM   #1561
Tippit

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post

As I've said before: it's impossible to argue with people who have this frame of mind.
On the contrary, it's impossible to argue with people like you, who, after having been provided evidence, ignores it completely and engages in ad hominem.
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 08:18 PM   #1562
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Kennedy blew out his own brains to frame Oswald. Well, prove he didn't. Can you? No, there's no evidence to prove he didnt; so it must be true.
That illustrates your credibility in this thread quite nicely.
Old 14th January 2018, 08:20 PM   #1563
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
On the contrary, it's impossible to argue with people like you, who, after having been provided evidence, ignores it completely and engages in ad hominem.
Evidence?!? A "free silver" tract from 1894. You call that evidence? I don't ignore it. I reject it. ETA Its author William Hope HarveyWP had an unimpressive record of effectiveness as a politician and businessman.
Harvey took for himself the title of "First National Patriot" as the leader of the Patriots of America organization. In 1898 group claimed an implausibly large network of 250 local lodges and a circulation of 30,000 for its official organ, The Patriots' Bulletin, a weekly which was originally published as The National Bimetallist.

Harvey was also active in campaigning for staunch free silver advocate William Jennings Bryan in Arkansas in the election of 1896. The 1896 campaign, which involved fusion of the People's Party with the Democratic Party proved catastrophic to the former organization, resulting in its widespread disintegration in the wake of Bryan's defeat.
Bryan was a pro-Divine Creation expert witness in the Scopes trial. He was cross examined by Clarence Darrow.
Stewart objected for the prosecution, demanding to know the legal purpose of Darrow's questioning. Bryan, gauging the effect the session was having, snapped that its purpose was "to cast ridicule on everybody who believes in the Bible". Darrow, with equal vehemence, retorted, "We have the purpose of preventing bigots and ignoramuses from controlling the education of the United States."
Good luck with that, Clarence.

Last edited by Craig B; 14th January 2018 at 09:30 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 08:23 PM   #1564
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That illustrates your credibility in this thread quite nicely.
You don't really do irony, do you?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 11:20 PM   #1565
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
What you don't seem to grasp is that supply is only one half of the equation. There is also demand, and most of the demand for bitcoins on the original bitcoin ledger is based on the network-effect. While future bitcoin forks will slightly decrease the demand for bitcoin, unless they show great utility they probably won't overcome the network effect which essentially comes from being first. So while the theoretical supply of all crypto-currencies is infinite, the practical reality is that the original bitcoin ledger is where most of the value is in the crypto space, at least for now, and the supply of those bitcoins is quite limited, as evident by the $14,000 market price.
I agree that this is the only explanation that covers the variables. We can't deny that people have bought, and will continue to be able to buy bitcoin at one price and sell at a higher price. This could go on for a month or a decade. Who knows?
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 11:36 PM   #1566
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

A story on the excellent science board phys.org

https://phys.org/news/2018-01-crypto...oin-heels.html

Bitcoin may be the most famous cryptocurrency but, despite a dizzying rise, it's not the most lucrative one and far from alone in a universe that counts 1,400 rivals, and counting.

Dozens of crypto units see the light of day every week, as baffled financial experts look on, and while none can match Bitcoin's $200-billion euro ($242 bilion) market capitalisation, several have left the media darling's profitability in the dust.

In fact, bitcoin is not even in the top 10 of the crypto world's best performers.

Top of the heap is Ripple which posted a jaw-dropping 36,000 percent rise in 2017 and early this year broke through the 100-billion euro capitalisation mark, matching the value of blue-chip companies such as, say, global cosmetics giant L'Oreal.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 11:55 PM   #1567
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You don't really do irony, do you?
I know you intended this to be irony but it is exactly how your frame all of your other posts (which you intend to be serious).
Old 15th January 2018, 03:14 AM   #1568
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I know you intended this to be irony but it is exactly how your frame all of your other posts (which you intend to be serious).
I don't think you're explaining yourself very well.
Old 15th January 2018, 06:35 PM   #1569
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

There have been valiant attempts to support this hoax currency over the last few days but the party looks over. The log chart of the daily tells the story, we should see 8000 this week.
(I did cite that break of 14000 and there was a further chance a few hours ago).
Old 15th January 2018, 10:15 PM   #1570
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
There have been valiant attempts to support this hoax currency over the last few days but the party looks over. The log chart of the daily tells the story, we should see 8000 this week.
(I did cite that break of 14000 and there was a further chance a few hours ago).

I think you could be right. Despite the hard sell adverts, bitcoin is struggling to stay afloat.
Old 16th January 2018, 12:11 AM   #1571
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Not another fairy tale.
  • Who has been attempting to support bitcoin?
  • What action did they take?
  • What aspect of bitcoin makes it a "hoax" (apart from the fact that you are a Luddite)?
Old 16th January 2018, 12:17 AM   #1572
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Not another fairy tale.
  • Who has been attempting to support bitcoin?
  • What action did they take?
  • What aspect of bitcoin makes it a "hoax" (apart from the fact that you are a Luddite)?
To an extent I am predicting like many strewn corpses that bitcoin will be discovered to have been a hoax.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 16th January 2018, 12:49 AM   #1573
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

To an extent I am predicting like many strewn corpses that bitcoin will be discovered to have been a hoax.

I hope that makes sense.
No it doesn't. What is going to be discovered that leads to the conclusion that bitcoin is a 10 year old "hoax"?
Old 16th January 2018, 01:04 AM   #1574
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

No it doesn't. What is going to be discovered that leads to the conclusion that bitcoin is a 10 year old "hoax"?
Regression to the mean.
Intrinsic value.
Zip, nil, doughnuts all the way down.
Old 16th January 2018, 01:24 AM   #1575
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I think you could be right. Despite the hard sell adverts, bitcoin is struggling to stay afloat.
Why do you think this?

It could just muddle along in the $12000 to $14000 range, it could even shoot up again.
Old 16th January 2018, 01:31 AM   #1576
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

It really is over
Old 16th January 2018, 01:43 AM   #1577
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

So, to expand the discussion to other crypto-currencies:

If Bitcoin falls severely, I suspect that all the newcomers will run away and it will never return to its highs.

Do you guys think the masses will speculate in other cryptos or will the fall of bitcoin taint the whole crypto thin so badly that that will be over also?
Old 16th January 2018, 01:59 AM   #1578
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Why do you think this?

It could just muddle along in the $12000 to $14000 range, it could even shoot up again.

People are buying bitcoin for an increase in value. When they see the value dropping a number will try to get out and cut their losses. Some are prepared to have faith that in the long term the value will climb. They will sit on the sidelines as the price is driven down. New buyers (for trade or for investment) will be reluctant to buy until they see what is happening. The net result is a bunch of sellers driving the price down, down, down.

Why should it go up? Only if people perceive it has value. The only value being pushed by the many companies advertising is that cryptocurrencies are somehow mysterious and the new paradigm. When no evidence of value comes forth (because there is none) then people will lose interest and history will talk about the biggest bubble of all.

If the media starts reporting failures and people losing their life savings then there might be panic and it will be over quickly.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:03 AM   #1579
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

If Bitcoin falls severely, I suspect that all the newcomers will run away and it will never return to its highs.

Do you guys think the masses will speculate in other cryptos or will the fall of bitcoin taint the whole crypto thin so badly that that will be over also?

Yes. The other cryptos will die too. Blockchain is a nice concept, but governments want control. Even if one could reliably trade with cryto, the governments would intervene. If there is no central authority, the concept is open to scammers and crooks. I think government is unreliable as far as proper regulation of markets, banks and money, but society functions as a society, not as anonymous programmers and computer centers operating as they wish.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:11 AM   #1580
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

We don't need Warren Buffet to predict it will end badly. It is a law of nature.
There are no free lunches. This is the best short in a long time.
In fairness these predictions have been made before. The threads catalogue.
The news cycle tells the story, I read a few weeks ago about a businessman visiting Russia. He said all they wanted to ask was what about bitcoin? That is why it is different this time.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:38 AM   #1581
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Regression to the mean.
Intrinsic value.
Zip, nil, doughnuts all the way down.
So nothing to do with "hoaxes" whatsoever.

This is just yet another "This time it really is the end of bitcoin (cross my heart and hope to die)".
Old 16th January 2018, 02:54 AM   #1582
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

These are an indication of the problems to come.

Quote:
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/crypt...investors.html

A growing number of South Africans are getting into financial trouble by investing in cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.

Debt Rescue CEO Neil Roets said many South Africans have been driven to the brink of bankruptcy after buying into cryptocurrency.

“We interviewed our first cryptocurrency victims towards the end of last year who wanted to go under debt review because they were no longer able to adequately service their debt,” said Roets.

“To my amazement, many of them had been the victims of scams involving cryptocurrencies which promised massive returns,” he said.

“Some of them had gone as far as pawning their vehicles, taking out second bonds on their homes, and borrowing money on credit cards in order to buy cryptocurrencies,” said Roets.

While certain consumers who approached Roets for debt counselling had fallen victim to hackers and scams, in most cases big losses were incurred due to the volatility of the cryptocurrency market.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:59 AM   #1583
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

These are an indication of the problems to come that happened when bitcoin trading started, are happening today and probably will always happen to those seeking a quick profit on bitcoin.
ftfy.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:59 AM   #1584
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

It is widespread.

Quote:
Cryptocurrency Market Bloodbath: Bitcoin, Ripple, et al. Decline in Value

https://248qms3nhmvl15d4ne1i4pxl-wpe...ce-760x400.jpg

...Today, on January 16, the cryptocurrency market experienced a major correction, for the third time in the past 10 days. The price of most cryptocurrencies including bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum, and Bitcoin Cash declined by around 10 percent, while small cryptocurrencies recorded larger losses.

...Considering that public blockchains have not been able to demonstrate their potential through the success of decentralized applications, it is normal that the cryptocurrency market has experienced a major correction
Old 16th January 2018, 03:02 AM   #1585
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You got all those words from a picture of somebody carrying a chainsaw? Amazing!
Old 16th January 2018, 03:02 AM   #1586
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

And like I said, government intervention:

Quote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rrency-trading

The Chinese government’s rolling clampdown has roiled global markets for bitcoin and other digital tokens over the past few months. Regulators around the world are stepping up scrutiny of cryptocurrencies amid concerns over excessive speculation, money laundering and tax evasion.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:04 AM   #1587
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

You got all those words from a picture of somebody carrying a chainsaw? Amazing!
A picture tells a thousand words. Notice the Dutch windmill in the background. But I do not think he is cutting down tulips.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:07 AM   #1588
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

And like I said, government intervention:
Quote:
The Chinese government’s rolling clampdown has roiled global markets for bitcoin and other digital tokens over the past few months.
Are you referring to the "past few months" when bitcoin quadrupled in price?
Old 16th January 2018, 03:09 AM   #1589
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

A picture tells a thousand words. Notice the Dutch windmill in the background. But I do not think he is cutting down tulips.
I thought you were just making it up.

(You just included it inside a quote tag to make it appear that you were quoting a source).
Old 16th January 2018, 03:21 AM   #1590
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

So nothing to do with "hoaxes" whatsoever.

This is just yet another "This time it really is the end of bitcoin (cross my heart and hope to die)".
psion old friend, can't you read the tea leaves?
1. South Koreans trading bitcoin at 25% premiuim, which may be because they have established a secondary market with proper liquidity.
2. Mainstream media leading newscasts with bitcoin and crypto stories.
3. TA says it's over.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:38 AM   #1591
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

psion old friend, can't you read the tea leaves?
I am not interested in woo or "something else is bad ergo bitcoin" type logic.

If you really had something worth reading you wouldn't have had to hype it up with buzz words like "hoax".

Last edited by psionl0; 16th January 2018 at 04:32 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 03:47 AM   #1592
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Just saw this on the Reddit Cryptocurrency subreddit:

https://i.imgur.com/9fLC0Ku.jpg
Old 16th January 2018, 05:00 AM   #1593
Belz...
Fiend God

I thought you were just making it up.

(You just included it inside a quote tag to make it appear that you were quoting a source).
A simple Google search shows his source here:

https://www.ccn.com/cryptocurrency-m...line-in-value/

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 06:07 AM   #1594
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
A simple Google search shows his source here:

https://www.ccn.com/cryptocurrency-m...line-in-value/
It's nice of you to stand up for somebody who thinks that proof is irrelevant.
Old 16th January 2018, 06:12 AM   #1595
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

I and I alone control the price of the BTC. Any time I sell my $10 portfolio, the price starts to rise. Any time I invest $10, it drops. Contact me, if you think my magical powers are worth $20 to you.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 06:27 AM   #1596
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I and I alone control the price of the BTC. Any time I sell my $10 portfolio, the price starts to rise. Any time I invest $10, it drops. Contact me, if you think my magical powers are worth $20 to you.

Let me see. I send you $20. After you invest, I buy $10,000. You then sell and afterwards I sell when the price hits $20,000. Surely you want a percentage of my profit as well?
Old 16th January 2018, 06:37 AM   #1597
Belz...
Fiend God

It's nice of you to stand up for somebody who thinks that proof is irrelevant.
Stand up for? What are you babbling about? You asked for a source and I provided it for you. That doesn't come attached with an opinion.

But rest assured, I won't make that mistake again. Next time you want a citation for something you can just suck it.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 07:49 AM   #1598
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Stand up for? What are you babbling about? You asked for a source and I provided it for you. That doesn't come attached with an opinion.

But rest assured, I won't make that mistake again. Next time you want a citation for something you can just suck it.

Psion10 did not bother to look at the article. It was inside the quote marks because it was part of the article. Thanks for assisting.
Old 16th January 2018, 07:54 AM   #1599
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Old 16th January 2018, 07:57 AM   #1600
Belz...
Fiend God

What's there to be confused about? I looked up the citation for you because you didn't bother to and then you tell me that I stand for another poster although this has nothing to do with them. Again, look it up yourself in the future.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance