ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nde , near death experience

Old 13th December 2006, 04:01 AM   #1
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Has this been researched?

Another forum member has listed this as some kind of evidence.Thought I'd share.
Opinions?
http://www.nderf.org/
Old 13th December 2006, 04:43 AM   #2
fls
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Another forum member has listed this as some kind of evidence.Thought I'd share.
Opinions?
Evidence of what?

Linda
fls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2006, 04:46 AM   #3
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I would have done some research, but for some reason I couldn't stop myself quacking. It appears to be a collection of anecdotes from people who have had a near death experience. Since it is accepted that these happen this seems fairly pointless. What we don't know is exactly why and how they happen, but collecting anecdotes doesn't really seem to help here. There is some interesting stuff about how people interpret NDEs, but nothing scientific.

It is worth noting that the two people listed as running it are Jody Long, who is a lawyer, and Jeffrey Long, presumably her husband, who is an oncologist (cancer doctor). Neither of these are likely to have detailed knowledge of neurology or sociology, so anything they write on the matter is probably just pure speculation. A quick look at the site seems to confirm this.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Crazycowbob
Bovine Overlord

Near death experiences are an interesting little phenomenon aren't they? I'm curious too as to what mental processes cause it, is it something like a dream or hallucination?

For what it's worth, both my mother and father have been very "near death" and neither had any kind of "experience", other than being in the hospital.
Crazycowbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2006, 08:25 AM   #5
John Jackson
Muse

What I find interesting about NDEs is that children who've had them report seeing their favourite toys or cartoon characters.

That may be an insight as to the nature of these experiences.

John Jackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Azrael 5
Philosopher

"WHy was spongebob operaing on me Mummy"

The link was put up after claims of Leslie Flint were scoffed at.
Old 13th December 2006, 11:00 AM   #7
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fls View Post
Evidence of what?
Appalling web design
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2006, 11:07 AM   #8
fuelair
Suspended

Well last year I was in the hospital and a couple of staff had a near death experience (I was given an "overdose" of my blood pressure medication - they were about to send me home but nurse took bp and almost went into convulsions said I had bp of 60 something over 40something AND I HAD TO STAY. Acted like they were afraid I was dying (other than really angry, I knew in my internal function I was fine) after lots of boring stuff (including a nurse arguing w/icu director they decided to check my blood gas levels (for O2) -those of you who have had this done know at this point why 2 people had ND experiences. 11 failed tries at jamming into both of my wrists with a broad short needle later the 12th try by a 3rd (no ND for him) succeeded and showed my 02 was great (which I knew already). Why my bp was not well into the hundreds by then, I am not sure. Good luck to all on never needing a blood gas level taken!!!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2006, 11:32 AM   #9
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Opinions?
You'll get more responses to your future threads if you title them clearly. Many posters here have slow connections and do not open threads that don't relate to topics they wish to discuss.
Also, clear thread titles make it easier to find older threads.
Old 13th December 2006, 11:54 AM   #10
baron
Philosopher

Having been so flippant I still think this is a very interesting area of study- it's a pity the information is presented here is such an unreadable format.

One option I haven't seen expressed is that the entire NDE episode is generated in a fraction of a second, when electrical activity begins again the patient's brain. The patient then experiences this as a memory of a real-time event. This would dispense with the idea that the patient experienced anything whilst brain dead, although would not account for the small number of cases there the patient apparently observes what's going on in the operating room (or wherever) whilst they were clinically dead.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
You'll get more responses to your future threads if you title them clearly. Many posters here have slow connections and do not open threads that don't relate to topics they wish to discuss.
Also, clear thread titles make it easier to find older threads.

That's telling me! Duly noted.
Old 21st December 2006, 09:24 AM   #12
Crazycowbob
Bovine Overlord

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Having been so flippant I still think this is a very interesting area of study- it's a pity the information is presented here is such an unreadable format.

One option I haven't seen expressed is that the entire NDE episode is generated in a fraction of a second, when electrical activity begins again the patient's brain. The patient then experiences this as a memory of a real-time event. This would dispense with the idea that the patient experienced anything whilst brain dead, although would not account for the small number of cases there the patient apparently observes what's going on in the operating room (or wherever) whilst they were clinically dead.
I could very well be wrong here, but I thought clinically dead was when the heart stopped? How often do they monitor a patients brian activity in these situations? I just mention this because, though the heart has stopped and the brain is not getting fresh blood, it does not mean it won't continue to function for some time in some fashion.
Crazycowbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2006, 10:29 AM   #13
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crazycowbob View Post
I could very well be wrong here, but I thought clinically dead was when the heart stopped? How often do they monitor a patients brian activity in these situations? I just mention this because, though the heart has stopped and the brain is not getting fresh blood, it does not mean it won't continue to function for some time in some fashion.
I may have used the wrong term. What I meant was, when there was is activity in the brain.

I checked the web for definitions of clinical death and was surprised how many simply referenced the stoppage of the heart. I'm not sure how useful the term is, therefore. Surely someone's heart may stop and restart for various different reasons without the patient being classed as dead. One of the drugs administered for tachycardia actually stops the patient's heart for 5 - 10 seconds whilst they are fully conscious. Would that patient be termed clinically dead during that time, even though they were sitting up and looking around? Just seems odd, I don't know.
Old 21st December 2006, 10:38 AM   #14
goak69
Student

In the Penn & Teller series "********" season 01 episode 12b they show that astronauts in centrifugal force testing regularly experience this phenomenon.
goak69 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2006, 11:57 AM   #15
Avita
Scholar

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I think this is a very plausible explanation, because while I never had an NDE, I did nearly drown when I was seven. I don't remember drowning; I woke up in the hospital with no idea how I got there, but I could tell that it was a hospital. In the first few seconds of my confusion, I "remembered" very clearly walking back up from the lake home, talking with my mother who had stayed home while we were at the lake, and her telling me I had to go to the hospital because... and that was the point at which the "memory" broke down and I realized that none of that had happened. Perhaps if my brain had been a bit more adept at generating a plausible-seeming reason, I would still believe that I had some sort of out-of-body experience. As it is, it felt exactly like a memory of what happened, complete with the fuzziness of some details being more clear than others (like jumping over a puddle on the way up from the lake), and it flashed through my mind within seconds of me regaining consciousness. As for people who say that they have heard what was going on in the operating room, I am inclined to think that either they were not completely brain-dead, or that they are confabulating a memory out of the things that they know "should" go on in an operating room.
Avita is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal