ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nde , near death experience

Old 6th May 2004, 11:50 PM   #1
plindboe
Graduate Poster

Hindu NDEs

Thought this article was interesting:

http://www.near-death.com/hindu.html

Quote:
Subjects of Indian near-death experiences do not report seeing their own physical body during the near-death experience, although American subjects usually do.
Quote:
Jody Long, a near-death researcher with NDERF, has put it best. She said, "One of the near-death experience truths is that each person integrates their near-death experience into their own pre-existing belief system."
Granted it's on a woowoo site, and the studies have small sample sizes, but still interesting nonetheless.

That NDEs apparently seem to be dependant on the culture and belief system tells me that the phenonemon probably is closely linked to hallucinations, similar to the endless UFO and ghost encounters out there, simply because people see what they subconsciously expect to see.

Anyone know of similar studies?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
plindboe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2004, 12:10 AM   #2
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
Originally posted by plindboe
Anyone know of similar studies?
I'm merely reminded of how similar this is to how the different cultures have viewed UFOs. That Indians and Americans experience NDEs differently very strongly suggests that NDEs are hallucinatory.

We are good at deceiving other people, but we are better at deceiving ourselves.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 06:21 AM   #3
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
Originally posted by CFLarsen

I'm merely reminded of how similar this is to how the different cultures have viewed UFOs. That Indians and Americans experience NDEs differently very strongly suggests that NDEs are hallucinatory.

We are good at deceiving other people, but we are better at deceiving ourselves.
It suggests no such thing. Learn something about the psychology of perception. The self interprets reality in such a way that it makes sense to the individual. This is so for our everyday empirical reality, and it would seem strange if it were not so for any transempirical realm. This of course doesn't mean we can simply see what we want to see. It does mean though that implicit expectations mould, shape and colour what we see. It is sufficient that NDE accounts throughout the world share common elements for them to be suggestive that they are real.
Interesting Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 06:28 AM   #4
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
Originally posted by Interesting Ian

It suggests no such thing. Learn something about the psychology of perception. The self interprets reality in such a way that it makes sense to the individual. This is so for our everyday empirical reality, and it would seem strange if it were not so for any transempirical realm. This of course doesn't mean we can simply see what we want to see. It does mean though that implicit expectations mould, shape and colour what we see. It is sufficient that NDE accounts throughout the world share common elements for them to be suggestive that they are real.
I don't doubt that they are real, in the sense that people report them and believe something has happened. But the shared common elements could just as well be explained by common physiologies/perceptual systems breaking down in extreme situations, without the need for them to be indicative of some realm beyond the physical.

BTW, welcome back, Ian--I missed you.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 06:35 AM   #5
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

The issue with NDE is "IF" the experience is something extraordinary or a Mecrutio suggests a product of the brain under stress.

It is important to remeber the process of confabulation, our brain makes up stuff all the time, like the material we percieve where the opticnerve passes through the retinat, or when there is a head trauma, when a trauma victim has clear emeories of stuff that didn't happen.

The experiences are real but will be interpreted in personal and cultural ways.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 06:40 AM   #6
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
Don't patronize me. Working with webdesign, user interfaces and usability on world-wide systems, I am not entirely unfamiliar with how different cultures percieve things, Ian. I also have some knowledge from what I know about the paranormal.

I agree with Mercutio: They may be experiencing the same phenomenon, but why is it an OOBE, and not a hallucination?

I'm going out on a limb here and assume that you don't think that all such experiences are OOBE, but that some are hallucinatoty. But how do you distinguish between the two?
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 06:51 AM   #7
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
I don't doubt that they are real, in the sense that people report them and believe something has happened. But the shared common elements could just as well be explained by common physiologies/perceptual systems breaking down in extreme situations, without the need for them to be indicative of some realm beyond the physical.

BTW, welcome back, Ian--I missed you.
The original contention was that the fact that people from differing cultures might experience NDE's differently is strongly suggestive that they are not real. For the reason I gave I do not think this can be sustained.

The fact that they might be unreal is neither here or there.

This just simply follows a very predictable pattern. A skeptic declares he has proved that some alleged paranormal phenomenon is not real. I argue against this. Then the skeptic says something like nevertheless it is possible it is not real, and therefore almost certainly isn't unless you can prove otherwise.

But I might not be interested in that debate. I might simply just be interested in rebutting the so called "proof" from the skeptic.
Interesting Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 07:04 AM   #8
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
The original contention was that the fact that people from differing cultures might experience NDE's differently is strongly suggestive that they are not real. For the reason I gave I do not think this can be sustained.
Ah...I see what you mean.

I am a bit curious about one thing...I understand (from many previous threads ) your point "The self interprets reality in such a way that it makes sense to the individual. This is so for our everyday empirical reality, and it would seem strange if it were not so for any transempirical realm." But to me, enough of our perceptual system's "interpretation" is tied in with the physical mechanisms (perceptual fields, for instance, in visual perception, which are a direct result of the structure of the cellular structure of the retina, are responsible for our perception of Mach bands) that I wonder--to what extent would it "seem strange" for transempirical perception to be different from everyday perception? After all (and this is, I think, the key assumption, and what I want your opinion on), in this transempirical perception, should we not be set free from the limitations of the physical perceptual systems? And if (a big if, I recognize) this is the case, then why not free of the cultural teachings? Lastly...is there, in your view, anything more than "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" questioning going on when we wonder such things? I can honestly see reason in making the assumptions you do in this case; my problem is that I see other assumptions as equally reasonable. Your thoughts?
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 07:19 AM   #9
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:

Don't patronize me. Working with webdesign, user interfaces and usability on world-wide systems, I am not entirely unfamiliar with how different cultures percieve things, Ian. I also have some knowledge from what I know about the paranormal.

I agree with Mercutio: They may be experiencing the same phenomenon, but why is it an OOBE, and not a hallucination?

I'm going out on a limb here and assume that you don't think that all such experiences are OOBE, but that some are hallucinatoty. But how do you distinguish between the two?
An OOBE is an "out of body experience". And that's it. It's a neutral description i.e one has the experience of being outside ones body. This doesn't mean to imply that one literally is out of ones body. They may or may not be. The term tries to avoid any theoretical interpretation.

Now certainly with some OOBEs the environment reported does not correspond with "how it really is". Other times it appears to do so. Thus during induced OBEs in experimental tests subjects have been able to identify remote targets to a statistically significant degree. OBEs also vary immensely. Voluntary induced OBEs are rather insipid. Those associated with NDEs tend to be much more rich.
Old 8th May 2004, 07:24 AM   #10
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
Now certainly with some OOBEs the environment reported does not correspond with "how it really is". Other times it appears to do so. Thus during induced OBEs in experimental tests subjects have been able to identify remote targets to a statistically significant degree. OBEs also vary immensely. Voluntary induced OBEs are rather insipid. Those associated with NDEs tend to be much more rich.
I supposed it would be too much to ask if I could see those studies?

You do realize the major flaw in an induced OBE as opposed to a "real" NDE, don't you?
Old 8th May 2004, 08:43 AM   #11
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
[b]Ah...I see what you mean.

I am a bit curious about one thing...I understand (from many previous threads ) your point "The self interprets reality in such a way that it makes sense to the individual. This is so for our everyday empirical reality, and it would seem strange if it were not so for any transempirical realm." But to me, enough of our perceptual system's "interpretation" is tied in with the physical mechanisms (perceptual fields, for instance, in visual perception, which are a direct result of the structure of the cellular structure of the retina, are responsible for our perception of Mach bands)
It is my belief that it is the mind which interprets the data from our sensory perceptions, not the brain. The brain may have to be configured in order to perceive in a given way, but that does not mean it's not the mind doing the interpreting.

Quote:

that I wonder--to what extent would it "seem strange" for transempirical perception to be different from everyday perception? After all (and this is, I think, the key assumption, and what I want your opinion on), in this transempirical perception, should we not be set free from the limitations of the physical perceptual systems?
We are free from such limitations. But when we see reality in a certain way this is not because our minds are limited in some way. Our intelligence is limited, yes, our memories, yes, our visual perception (and the other 4 senses) are all limited while the self operates through the brain. But when we see, for example, a necker cube as a real cube, this isn't because our perception is limited. Reality is nothing more than "the spin" the mind imposes on it. We cannot free ourselves from such an interpretation. Indeed that doesn't make sense.
Old 8th May 2004, 08:45 AM   #12
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:

I supposed it would be too much to ask if I could see those studies?
I feel disinclined to provide evidence to skeptics. Sceptics I would, but not skeptics.

Quote:

You do realize the major flaw in an induced OBE as opposed to a "real" NDE, don't you? [/b]
I don't know. I don't know what you're talking about.
Old 8th May 2004, 09:03 AM   #13
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:

It is my belief that it is the mind which interprets the data from our sensory perceptions, not the brain. The brain may have to be configured in order to perceive in a given way, but that does not mean it's not the mind doing the interpreting.
But this is exactly my question: there are, in ordinary perception, phenomena which are the result of the physical structure of the retina (to stick with the same example I used before). Thus, if I have understood your explanation, the mind interprets the information that comes from this sense-organ and its physical structure. Ok so far. But in these NDE's, at least as I understand them (as true experiences, anyway), the mind is no longer interpreting through the physical constraints of the structure of the retina. It should, then, be more able to see things as they really are and not "as they are, subject to our physical constraints".

But it appears that the NDE reports show that the physical and social influences on our ordinary perception are still in place with transempirical perception.
Old 8th May 2004, 09:03 AM   #14
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
I feel disinclined to provide evidence to skeptics. Sceptics I would, but not skeptics.
In other words: "I have evidence, but I won't show it, nyah, nyah, neener, neener!"

This is exactly what I want to prevent by having stricter debate rules. Such childish behavior does not belong in a serious discussion, Ian. It gets us nowhere. We do not progress.

Now, do you have evidence or not?

Quote:
I don't know. I don't know what you're talking about.
The whole idea behind NDEs is that you get a glimpse of an afterlife - a Heaven, Nirvana, whathaveyou. But you do it, because you are near death - hence the term.

If you are not near death - that is, in those circumstances where you have an induced OOBE, then how can that be an Near Death Experience? You are not near death.

So, how do you distinguish between:
  1. An experience from a real NDE, where you are close to dying
  2. An experience from an induced OOBE, where you are not close to dying
  3. A hallucination

Hm?
Old 8th May 2004, 09:53 AM   #15
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
But this is exactly my question: there are, in ordinary perception, phenomena which are the result of the physical structure of the retina (to stick with the same example I used before). Thus, if I have understood your explanation, the mind interprets the information that comes from this sense-organ and its physical structure. Ok so far. But in these NDE's, at least as I understand them (as true experiences, anyway), the mind is no longer interpreting through the physical constraints of the structure of the retina. It should, then, be more able to see things as they really are and not "as they are, subject to our physical constraints".

But it appears that the NDE reports show that the physical and social influences on our ordinary perception are still in place with transempirical perception.
But I specifically made the point that although the brain constrains our intelligence, memories, visual acuity etc, it doesn't constrain the "spin" that the self imposes upon reality. Rather it allows it.

For example we see a 3D world because of an implicit low level theory we have about the world. According to you, if we literally leave our bodies we would therefore not see a 3D world, but see it as it 'truly is'! And what would that be? A flat chaotically coloured plain at no distance away from us? No, this is just simply nonsensical. Sorry, but that's simply not my understanding. There is no reality as it really is. There are only selves and their thoughts and perceptions.

And I don't know what you mean by "are the result of". The brain does not create consciousness, and therefore a fortiori does not create the way we see things. It merely allows us to see things in a certain way e.g the brain allows us to perceive a 3D world. Maybe if the brain were damaged in a particular way we wouldn't be able to see a 3D world. This is because even though the self is capable of seeing a 3D world, (or indeed is capable of having vastly enhanced vision and even be able to see 360 degrees around oneself etc), the body and, in particular, the brain, limits our perceptions. The brain acts as a kind of filter.

What happens outside the brain is that the self is more free to interpret reality accordingly. So in an afterlife realm you will see the self play a much greater role in our perceptions of that reality (and hence character of that reality since nothing exists outside our perceptions). And therefore we would certainly see a 3D world!

Got a funny feeling I'm not explaining this too well! LOL
Old 8th May 2004, 10:08 AM   #16
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:

In other words: "I have evidence, but I won't show it, nyah, nyah, neener, neener!"

This is exactly what I want to prevent by having stricter debate rules. Such childish behavior does not belong in a serious discussion, Ian. It gets us nowhere. We do not progress.
If you find my post does not meet your criteria of a critical discussion then take it up with Randi or Hal or whoever.

Quote:

Now, do you have evidence or not?
Yes I do. I do have evidence but won't provide it. I'll only provide it to non-skeptics.

Quote:

The whole idea behind NDEs is that you get a glimpse of an afterlife - a Heaven, Nirvana, whathaveyou.
No, that's actually quite infrequent.

Quote:

But you do it, because you are near death - hence the term.
No, you can have NDE's when you're not near death. Why shouldn't you be able to do so? The self simply needs to be loosened from the brain.

Quote:

If you are not near death - that is, in those circumstances where you have an induced OOBE, then how can that be an Near Death Experience? You are not near death.
Because of the certain characteristic phenomenology defined by an NDE. But yes, an OBE without being near death would not be classified as an NDE.

[quote]

So, how do you distinguish between:
  1. An experience from a real NDE, where you are close to dying
  2. An experience from an induced OOBE, where you are not close to dying
  3. A hallucination

Certain phenomenology is connected with an NDE. eg a feeling of peace, the experiencer of profound love being directed at you, and so on. An OBE is simply an OBE. It would only be classified as an NDE were it to take place on the threshold of death.

The 3rd item on your list is irrelevant. Here we get into the theoretical interpretation of an OBE which is irrelevant in the context of our present discussion.
Old 8th May 2004, 10:21 AM   #17
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
If you find my post does not meet your criteria of a critical discussion then take it up with Randi or Hal or whoever.
That's the point. As it is now, people can argue like you do, with no intention of reaching any other goal than confusion and the tedious repetition of dogma.

Quote:
Yes I do. I do have evidence but won't provide it. I'll only provide it to non-skeptics.
Why?

Quote:
No, that's actually quite infrequent.
People get glimpses of what they think is an afterlife: The Great White Light, shadows moving, maybe even people they recognize. Sure, we also get the tunnels etc.

Quote:
No, you can have NDE's when you're not near death. Why shouldn't you be able to do so? The self simply needs to be loosened from the brain.
No, if you are not near death, then you have an OOBE. If you have an OOBE when you are near death, then you have an NDE.

NDE means "Near Death Experience", Ian.

Quote:
Because of the certain characteristic phenomenology defined by an NDE. But yes, an OBE without being near death would not be classified as an NDE.
Can you make up your mind?? You just contradicted yourself here. Which is it?

Quote:
Certain phenomenology is connected with an NDE. eg a feeling of peace, the experiencer of profound love being directed at you, and so on. An OBE is simply an OBE. It would only be classified as an NDE were it to take place on the threshold of death.
Yes, but NDEs don't have to mean that you feel at peace etc. They can also be pretty violent and traumatizing.

Quote:
The 3rd item on your list is irrelevant. Here we get into the theoretical interpretation of an OBE which is irrelevant in the context of our present discussion.
No, it is far from irrelevant, it is pivotal. How do you distinguish between the first two and the latter?
Old 8th May 2004, 10:22 AM   #18
Interesting Ian
Banned

Quote:
[b]

But I specifically made the point that although the brain constrains our intelligence, memories, visual acuity etc, it doesn't constrain the "spin" that the self imposes upon reality. Rather it allows it.
Actually it does constrain it, but also allows it, if you know what I mean.
Old 8th May 2004, 10:34 AM   #19
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:

That's the point. As it is now, people can argue like you do, with no intention of reaching any other goal than confusion and the tedious repetition of dogma.
What dogma do I repeat? I always argue my case. If my post is unsatisfactory then complain to Randi or Hal. Or argue about getting the rules changed. Maybe try to persaude them that no non-skeptics should henceforth be allowed to post. But don't whine at me about it.

Snip the stuff regarding your lack of knowledge regarding what is defined as an OBE and NDE

Quote:

No, it is far from irrelevant, it is pivotal. How do you distinguish between the first two and the latter? [/b]
I keep repeating myself. There is no theoretical interpretation associated with OBE's. They might well all be hallucinations (whatever a hallucination might mean). Therefore your question of how we distinguish OBEs from hallucinations reveals a deep misunderstanding of this point.

The question of whether one literally leaves ones body during an OBE is another topic.
Old 8th May 2004, 10:41 AM   #20
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

And I don't know what you mean by "are the result of". The brain does not create consciousness, and therefore a fortiori does not create the way we see things. It merely allows us to see things in a certain way e.g the brain allows us to perceive a 3D world. Maybe if the brain were damaged in a particular way we wouldn't be able to see a 3D world. This is because even though the self is capable of seeing a 3D world, (or indeed is capable of having vastly enhanced vision and even be able to see 360 degrees around oneself etc), the body and, in particular, the brain, limits our perceptions. The brain acts as a kind of filter.
I'll leave aside what the "real world" that we might perceive might be (although for myself, your description of "A flat chaotically coloured plain at no distance away from us" is nonsensical--I do realize you gave it as just one possibility among an unknowable number of unknowable possibilities, but still...), and focus on what you say here. If as you say above, the self is capable of, say, 360 degree vision, and if
Quote:
What happens outside the brain is that the self is more free to interpret reality accordingly. So in an afterlife realm you will see the self play a much greater role in our perceptions of that reality (and hence character of that reality since nothing exists outside our perceptions).
then it seems to me that, even if we see cultural differences in the things which "the self" has learned over a lifetime, we should also see similarities in the shedding of physiological constraints (such as directional vision). But the opening post specifically mentions differences in seeing one's body...and thus, differences in what is seen.

Do you have references that suggest that 360 degree vision is a commonplace occurence in NDE's?
Old 8th May 2004, 10:48 AM   #21
Interesting Ian
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:
I'll leave aside what the "real world" that we might perceive might be (although for myself, your description of "A flat chaotically coloured plain at no distance away from us" is nonsensical--I do realize you gave it as just one possibility among an unknowable number of unknowable possibilities, but still...), and focus on what you say here. If as you say above, the self is capable of, say, 360 degree vision, and if then it seems to me that, even if we see cultural differences in the things which "the self" has learned over a lifetime, we should also see similarities in the shedding of physiological constraints (such as directional vision). But the opening post specifically mentions differences in seeing one's body...and thus, differences in what is seen.

Do you have references that suggest that 360 degree vision is a commonplace occurence in NDE's? [/b]
Why shouldn't there be differences in what is seen?? It is precisely what I would expect. I don't this this discussion is going anywhere. I only came on to refute Claus's proof! I don't want to spend to much time explaining my position on everything all the time. I'm doing a website at the moment which explains my position on all these topics we constantly debate. I'll provide you with the address when I eventually complete it. Probably take about a year though! LOL

Not sure about NDE'ers seeing all around them. Their psychological state of being probably wouldn't allow them to do so.
Old 8th May 2004, 10:55 AM   #22
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hindu NDEs

Quote:

Why shouldn't there be differences in what is seen?? It is precisely what I would expect. I don't this this discussion is going anywhere. I only came on to refute Claus's proof! I don't want to spend to much time explaining my position on everything all the time. I'm doing a website at the moment which explains my position on all these topics we constantly debate. I'll provide you with the address when I eventually complete it. Probably take about a year though! LOL

Not sure about NDE'ers seeing all around them. Their psychological state of being probably wouldn't allow them to do so.
Fair enough--we do tend to gab on a bit, don't we? For my part, it is because I am sincerely interested in understanding. So, yeah, point me to your website eventually.

For the record, I would expect you to expect differences in what is seen. It is the precise things which are different and which are the same that I was speaking of. I would expect, from your view, that cultural and learned things (incorporated into the self) would remain different, but that things which are constrained by the biology and are now unconstrained would become more similar (or similarly unconstrained, if that makes more sense). Mind you, I do not agree with you, but I am trying to understand it...

No need to respond--it will never end if we keep doing that. Cheers, mate.
Old 8th May 2004, 11:10 AM   #23
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Ian,

You dance around the issues.

Why do you refuse to show your evidence to skeptics?

Can a person experience an NDE if he is not near death - or not?

Of course there are theoretical interpretations associated with OBE's:
Quote:
Blackmore attributes her experience to peculiar brain processes such as might cause “neuronal disinhibition in the visual cortex,” which is her explanation for hallucinations and NDEs.
Source
And an NDE does not necessarily have to be peaceful. So, how do we distinguish between the three?

If you can't answer the questions, just say so.

If you won't answer the questions, just say so.
Old 8th May 2004, 03:23 PM   #24
!Xx+-Rational-+xX!

Like I've been saying the bunnies and skeptics hostility against the NDES disprove it! The only reasonable thing to do is scoff while rejecting the possibility of this quackery!

As skeptics it is our job to prevent people sharing their supposed paranormal experiences out of fear of ridicule! Make the subject as taboo as possible, people should learn to keep their delusions to themselves! Think you’ve had a near-death or apparition experience!? Think again (if believers can think at all) and you better shut the f*ck up about it because you didn’t and it wasn’t real, or else you will be ridiculed and labeled a retarded wacko! End of story!

If believers were remotely honest they would be repeating the phrase “I stand corrected” each time after their comment is responded to by a superior intellect (skeptic)!
!Xx+-Rational-+xX! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2004, 11:55 PM   #25
Kerberos
Illuminator

Quote:

I can fly and have super strenght; I also have videos to prove it, but of course I will only provide the evidence to those with open minds. You can ask CFLarsen though, he's seen it and can confirm it's true. If he denies it it's because he's not really CFarsen, but an evil clone. I can prove that too of course, but only to the real CFLarsen.
Kerberos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2004, 04:18 AM   #26
!Xx+-Rational-+xX!

!Xx+-Rational-+xX! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2004, 05:21 AM   #27
Ed
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by !Xx+-Rational-+xX!
It does seem that way sometimes. Sigh.
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2004, 07:38 AM   #28
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

It's all a huge, juicy, throbbing false dichtomy.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2004, 10:10 AM   #29
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by !Xx+-Rational-+xX!
Like I've been saying the bunnies and skeptics hostility against the NDES disprove it! The only reasonable thing to do is scoff while rejecting the possibility of this quackery! The only one scoffing is you, which just bolsters the argument that you are an entertaining troll. There is something that happens to people nead death. When people present beliefs that are supported by evidence then they are beliefs based upon evidence. Otherwise it is speculation.
As skeptics it is our job to prevent people sharing their supposed paranormal experiences out of fear of ridicule!

As someone who parodies sceptics you would like people to believe that, there hasn't been much ridicule here. Maybe all that dope makes you hypersensitive.
Make the subject as taboo as possible, people should learn to keep their delusions to themselves!
People are welcome to share thier beliefs, your slip is showing Towel Boy. There is no taboo on this board except for the swearing.
Think you’ve had a near-death or apparition experience!? Think again (if believers can think at all) and you better shut the f*ck up about it because you didn’t and it wasn’t real, or else you will be ridiculed and labeled a retarded wacko! End of story!

Funny how you just make stuff up to support your case, that would be typical of a Woo which you are, another false claim without support.

If believers were remotely honest they would be repeating the phrase “I stand corrected” each time after their comment is responded to by a superior intellect (skeptic)!
The only people who act like that are the whackos and Interesting Ian, sorry your paradt of scepticism isn't even funny this time. I suggest next time you put your head in a platic bag and fill it with dope smoke that you limit yourself to three minutes.
The standard of evidence has nothing to do with intellect.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2004, 11:01 AM   #30
!Xx+-Rational-+xX!

I suggest that you go for a long swim only to later realize that you forgot to bring a towel!

Quote:
The only one scoffing is you, which just bolsters the argument that you are an entertaining troll. There is something that happens to people nead death. When people present beliefs that are supported by evidence then they are beliefs based upon evidence. Otherwise it is speculation.
No! The only thing that happens to these people near death (not nead death) is delusion! There is no evidence! Impossible!

Quote:
As someone who parodies sceptics you would like people to believe that, there hasn't been much ridicule here. Maybe all that dope makes you hypersensitive.
Don’t be a kooktard this whole subject needs to be made more taboo because people shouldn’t share their delusions! And there is obviously nothing to these alleged experiences! People see what they want to see and it means nothing now that it’s just words!

Quote:
People are welcome to share thier beliefs, your slip is showing Towel Boy. There is no taboo on this board except for the swearing.
Believers: Get a real science book you fricking quacks, and not a parapsychology book because that’s nothing but a bunch of fraud!

Quote:
Funny how you just make stuff up to support your case, that would be typical of a Woo which you are, another false claim without support.
Wrong!

The extreme malleability of the mind and memories is well exemplified by believers!
Old 9th May 2004, 06:37 PM   #31
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

That extreme mallebility is part of having the perceptual framework of a brain, if someone could demonstrate the 'self' beyond that organic frame work , then we might not see the confabulation.(If we saw more than Bugs Bunny at that point.)

I would rather air dry than use some super secret army smart towel.
Old 9th May 2004, 06:42 PM   #32
Maledict
Muse

Quote:
Am I seeing this? I'm saving this for posterity, and also putting it in my sig.

| Ca.org Sketchbook | Live Stream | Website |
Maledict is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal