ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nde , near death experience

Old 3rd May 2004, 06:11 PM   #1
Nigel
Graduate Poster

Another MD NDE convert

http://www.nbc10.com/news/3253894/detail.html

Quote:
Dr. Morse has recorded dozens of interviews with children who have experienced near death. He says he finds the experiences with children to be the most pure.
I'm not quite sure what that means, but somehow, I think of the McMartin preschool abuse case when I read about interviews with children. The investigators asked leading questions, and generally had the children say what the investigators wanted to hear. This guy may or may not be doing that, you can't tell from this one piece.

Does anyone know more about this guy than just from this article?
Old 4th May 2004, 05:12 AM   #2
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Quote:
How can dying, comatose patients perceive anything? That's what fascinated me," said Dr. Morse. "I knew that something important about human consciousness was to be learned.
And that must be . . . that there's life after death. Yes, that's it!

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2004, 06:40 AM   #3
!Xx+-Rational-+xX!

It seems that they left out the bunnies which is the best proof against this quackery!

"If you think about it NDEs must be just fantasies because almost all of them include seeing fields of magical bunnies frolicking around looking happy! I donít have to back this up and show where I have seen this because Iím a skeptic and skeptics are right by default!" !Xx+-Rational-+xX!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

And that must be . . . that there's life after death. Yes, that's it!

~~ Paul
Not that...OMG (SCIENCE!)!
!Xx+-Rational-+xX! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2004, 07:03 AM   #4
Psiload
Master Poster

Re: Another MD NDE convert

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel
http://www.nbc10.com/news/3253894/detail.html

I'm not quite sure what that means, but somehow, I think of the McMartin preschool abuse case when I read about interviews with children. The investigators asked leading questions, and generally had the children say what the investigators wanted to hear. This guy may or may not be doing that, you can't tell from this one piece.

Does anyone know more about this guy than just from this article?
He had a short-lived message board on his website a few years back. He opened it with a "Welcome all open-minded discussion.", but that only lasted for a few months, and the usual downward spiral started... deleted posts, registration required, bannings, etc... until finally Dr. Morse shut it down claiming "a busy schedule".

It was awhile ago, but I do remember he had some really wacky ideas that he couldn't even begin to defend against criticism. Aside from the NDE stuff, he was a firm believer in "magnetic people" who would "fry" wristwatches, and knock out streetlamps with their powerful magnetic auras.

Regarding the pediatric NDEs... he refused to entertain the notion that children have active imaginations, and sometimes indulge in surprisingly creative fantasy.

I recall that Dr. Morse would get a might bit testy with anyone who brought up the topic of false/implanted memories. He tried to rebut the skepticism at first, but he floundered badly, and soon he refused to "go there" at all.

He had big following of fawning psychophants that greatly outnumbered the few skeptics that participated on his board. They did their best to shout down any critical discussion, and they were furious when Dr. Morse stopped participating, and eventually hung out the Gone Fishin' sign.

It was fun while it lasted.
Old 4th May 2004, 07:25 AM   #5
Psiload
Master Poster

More stuff on Dr. Morse:

Here's his website:

http://www.melvinmorse.com/light.htm

Don't bother clicking on the Message Board link... its been experiencing an NDE of its own for a few years now... or maybe it's just "mostly dead".

Here is some wackiness:

Quote:
I am developing a practical manual to teach people how to use the area of our brain linked to near death experiences. We evolved our brains about 200,000 years ago, and it came without an owners manual. We have many residual or unused talents such as remote viewing, telepathy, healing touch, and weak telekinetic abilities which are linked to this same brain area. Anyone can learn to use this latent area of our brain and have spiritual and near death experiences.
He even endorses that nutjob Carolyn Myss(although he mispells her name):

Quote:
Many spiritual healings have had NDEs, including Carolyn Wyss, the Medical Intuitive who has written several excellent books. Read Caorlyn's most recent book as she goes into detail on how energy patterns effect healing.
Rupert Sheldrake too:

Quote:
In a nutshell, our right temporal lobe is our link with nonlocal reality. Within nonlocal reality exist the morphic forms (Read Rupert Sheldrake) that code for our existence. Communication with nonlocal reality, an experience that most people perceive as "going into the light" or meeting God, creates a state of morphic resonance, and we have the opportunity to "retune" our bodies, and correct errors in DNA that have developed over the years.
There's a guy over on the F.A.C.T.S. forum named Pierre that knows Dr. Morse very well. He's an MD too, and if you really want the poop on Dr. Morse, he's your guy.

http://factsforum.org/
Old 4th May 2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Nigel
Graduate Poster

Thanks Psiload. That's probably more about this doc than I really want to know. But it's good information to have, because just from reading the original article, I got the feeling something wasn't right. It just seems too....potentially dangerous (for lack of a better term) to rely on children to tell exactly what happened in certain situations (McMartin, etc.). In fact, not long ago I watched a tape I have of Budd Hopkins (I believe it was a Nova episode) interviewing a 2 or 3 year old boy about aliens he'd seen. Hopkins showed several innocuous pictures (Santa, people, etc), then showed a drawing of a gray. The boy gurgled that's what he'd seen. Hopkins, of course, accepted it without doubt.

I keep asking myself why we rely on people at all for anything....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal