ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nde , near death experience

Old 31st March 2006, 09:56 AM   #1
NDEs or ADEs?

I was reading through some websites regarding NDE or Near Death Experiences just to see how varied these experiences actually are and I found that the majority of NDEs are experienced by Christians or people with a Christian background.

Frankly, I was disappointed as I thought Muslim NDEs full of lusty virgins would be far more interesting than the predictable, "I was traveling down a tunnel toward a light," thing. I began wondering how, based on their particular version of "heaven" NDEs would manifest themselves among people of different religions and backgrounds? One of the things I naturally kept in mind was the tendency for some accounts to include a "horror section" which is usually punctuated by scenes of Hell, as well as those "visions" loosely interpreted as heaven. Please feel free to toss in your own.

For example, an NDE for a Jehovah's Witness with a procrastinating guilt might be showing up at the gates of heaven and being number 148,001 in line.

A Buddhist might have an NDE of being a tree in a forest, and hearing the tree next to it fall.

An LDS NDE (whew) might be a long, rural road in NM in mid-summer with no water and two flat bike tires.

A rich, conservative, Protestant's NDE might be floating down a gold-lined tunnel to find a pile of tax-free cash and 79 naked Anne Coulters.

An illegal Mexican immigrant, conservative Catholic's NDE might be owning a McDonald's in Topeka, Kansas.

A conservative Christian from the rural US south who is a snake-handler might have an NDE selling the three car bodies, four washing machines and two sofas in his front yard for over $200.

A liberal, educated atheist might have an NDE of driving down a long endless road in a BMW (or he might not).

A liberal Danish atheist might have an NDE whereby he and fellow Danes are called upon to rid the earth of the "Moonie" scurge and find them all lined up before them in bunny suits. GO DENMARK!

A Conservative practitioner of Shinto might have an NDE of having an ancestral family reunion only to find his pain-in-the-ass cousin has 35 dead relatives just like him.

If that didn't give you a chuckle, try the website I got a lot of this stuff from. Pay close attention to the Buddhist afterlife beliefs link as well as the Dead for Several Days link! Oh, also note how everything is supposedly confirmed by science and how the subject of "Dead for Several Days" is both a neuropathologist AND an atheist. Funny how it's important to confirm some of your beliefs with science, but others conflict directly with it.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"

Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Mephisto; 31st March 2006 at 09:59 AM.
Mephisto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy