ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Theresa May , uk elections , uk politics

Old Today, 01:00 PM   #521
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Whether or not you realise it, the way you frame your questions is very revealing of your basic standpoint, thinking, prejudices and agenda. Of course replies are going to acknowledge that.
Aye, the nerve to ask a question without dressing it up in tartan...

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' question thee,
Wi' moving goalposties!

I'm truly sorry May's dominion,
Has broken Scotlandís social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, UK companion,
An' fellow-mortal!
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #522
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Aye, the nerve to ask a question without dressing it up in tartan...

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' question thee,
Wi' moving goalposties!

I'm truly sorry May's dominion,
Has broken Scotlandís social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, UK companion,
An' fellow-mortal!
Aye observing details like the right to self determination is just dressing things up in tartan. Meanwhile bigots draped in the butchers apron are dragging the country off a cliff edge based in Daily Mail tales and xenophobia.
Old Today, 02:42 PM   #523
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Aye, the nerve to ask a question without dressing it up in tartan.........
I'd love to know how I could possibly have asked the same question another way without offending anyone. I took Rolfe's point, added a point about the conservative manifesto, and politely asked for their opinion on what the upshot would be from a Scots perspective. Immediately the personal comments start. Frankly, it's beyond parody. I clearly have a nerve being a reprehensible middle of the road Englishman, and how dare I ask a polite question.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:06 PM   #524
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

That may be the point. You see yourself as a "middle-of-the-road Englishman" but the debate in Scotland is so far beyond the compass of middle-of-the-road Englishmen at this stage that any question which may possibly appear to you as neutral comes over as extremely union-biassed.

If you're getting all your information from the English press and broadcast media you are inevitably taking on board a one-sided agenda. Consequently, questions you frame from this perspective are going to appear extremely agenda-driven to anyone who is following the debate on a daily basis in Scotland.

The idea that if Theresa May wins a general election victory on the back of a landslide of English votes while losing badly to the SNP in Scotland itself, that could in any way be considered as a mandate to block the expressed will of the Scottish parliament, is simply not one that would be contemplated in Scotland. It's back to "Sit down, Scotland. No you can't. Be quiet. Get back in your box, your betters have spoken." We're not having that any more and I'm perennially astonished that anyone thinks we even might.
Old Today, 04:41 PM   #525
Strawberry
Muse

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
None of the Scots here have answered the point I raised some days ago. I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Assume exactly the scenario that Rolfe has just outlined: an increase in the Conservative vote in Scotland, and a decrease in the SNP vote and seats. The numbers aren't important for the sake of this question. If...........if............the Tories have it in their GE manifesto that they won't be allowing an Indyref 2 in this next parliament if re-elected, and they then get the stonking great majority that everyone predicts, what then?

Sturgeon will demand and whine, and May will say no, it's the democratic will of the electorate. What are the SNP's options then?
You would be headed for a similar situation to that which existed in Ireland after the 1918 election. It would be an incredibly stupid thing for Theresa May to put into an election manifesto, but if you really are representative of middle of the road English people maybe its the kind of stupidity that would go down well with the English electorate at the moment.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics