ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Theresa May , uk elections , uk politics

Old 28th April 2017, 01:53 AM   #681
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
I'd put it down to his press team as they're probably the ones deciding this.

The only view I can think of which is at all charitable on this decision is they realise there's nothing they can do to stop the looming electoral crash and they're now just trying to minimise the effect of it. So they decided that they don't want to give any wavering voters a reminder that there's other parties they can vote for apart from Tory and Labour. Rather pathetic really if that's the case.
A bit harsh blaming it on his media team. He is ultimately responsible for strategy. He's presiding over a train wreck. If he tries to hold on after a disastrous defeat it says a lot about him. Mainly that he's a selfish idiot.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 01:57 AM   #682
Mid
Muse

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A bit harsh blaming it on his media team. He is ultimately responsible for strategy. He's presiding over a train wreck. If he tries to hold on after a disastrous defeat it says a lot about him. Mainly that he's a selfish idiot.
Oh I agree any competent leader should be taking charge here. However given his uselessness I'm assuming that he had very little to say about this decision and it was made for him by his team.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 02:09 AM   #683
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
It seems to me that Corbyn has really missed a trick here. He could have appeared on TV debating an empty chair and focusing on how TM has run away from the debate. Instead, the TV producers can empty chair them both, and people* will watch a debate between the Greens, UKIP, LibDem, SNP and Plaid Cymru.
They won't bother doing it if neither of the main two parties take part. Assuming we can call an increasingly irrelevant Labour one of the main two.

You're right about Corbyn missing a trick, though. It's as if May gave him a cudgel to beat her over the head with, and instead he rammed it up his own backside. He's way out of his depth as party leader. Perhaps that's why May called the election. Rout him before Labour realise they've backed the wrong horse.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 02:10 AM   #684
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Sigh, appears that Labour's best campaigner is Boris Johnson
I was looking for the Like button here, before I realised I wasn't on Facebook. Excellent observation.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 07:31 AM   #685
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I'm not sure if this has been posted in the thread yet, but if you put in your postcode at www.electoralcalculus.co.uk you can see the "latest prediction using the most advanced polling" for your constituency.
Showing Vicky Foxcroft keeping Lewisham Deptfordon 80%. No surprise, really, given that she and the other Lewisham MPs all defied the Labour whip and voted against triggering article 50.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 01:23 PM   #686
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Apparently my constituency is 97% chance of Tory. Disenfranchised again then. Is there an ISIS candidate i can vote for instead?
Old 28th April 2017, 01:49 PM   #687
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Commiserations. I lived in Francis Maude's constituency for over 18 years. My business partner was a Conservative. I met Maude a few times and even went to a smart Conservative lunch once. Talk about feeling like a cat in a dog suit!
Old 28th April 2017, 02:10 PM   #688
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Apparently my constituency is 97% chance of Tory. Disenfranchised again then. Is there an ISIS candidate i can vote for instead?
My consistuency has returned a Tory every time since the 1920's. Even bothering to go and vote seems pointless, I do though as otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy as the voters for other parties give up, turn out is abysmal as it is.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 03:14 PM   #689
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I could never not vote, even if I knew I was pissing into the wind. People died to give all men the vote, and to give women the vote; I could not in all consciousness allow their sacrifice to mean nothing. I've voted in every election since I was old enough to do so in 1981 - parish councillors to county councillors to Euro MPs to General Elections.

I really don't understand why people don't vote, and I think the Australian idea of compulsory voting is good. Even if you spoil your paper by drawing a massive penis on it, you get to have your say.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 03:34 PM   #690
Rolfe

You read about what Stuart Campbell did to his ballot paper in Bath in 2015 then?
Old 28th April 2017, 03:34 PM   #691
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

I could never not vote, even if I knew I was pissing into the wind. People died to give all men the vote, and to give women the vote; I could not in all consciousness allow their sacrifice to mean nothing. I've voted in every election since I was old enough to do so in 1981 - parish councillors to county councillors to Euro MPs to General Elections.

I really don't understand why people don't vote, and I think the Australian idea of compulsory voting is good. Even if you spoil your paper by drawing a massive penis on it, you get to have your say.
I sympathise but at the same time if everyone represents a view you find objectionable then not voting might be the only answer.

Equally when you know you are voting for someone who won't win then not voting is understandable.

If you want to make voting compulsory I'll support that as long as it's accompanied by some form of pr.
Old 28th April 2017, 03:41 PM   #692
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

If "none of the above" is your choice, then spoil your paper. Draw offensive pictures on it, scribble "you are all *****" on it, or write on it that none of the candidates are worth your vote. Those spoiled papers have to be reported so your view is represented.

If you don't vote then you (generic you, not a personal you) are not distinguished from the people who can't be arsed to vote.

I voted for a change to the FPTP system, but unfortunately not enough people voted the same way.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 03:48 PM   #693
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
You read about what Stuart Campbell did to his ballot paper in Bath in 2015 then?
It would be a pity if he were to do that again, given that Bath is one of the more interesting seats in the country. It's certainly a constituency I'll be watching, because despite the Electoral Calculus prediction I think this is a potential LibDem gain from Conservative.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 03:49 PM   #694
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

If "none of the above" is your choice, then spoil your paper. Draw offensive pictures on it, scribble "you are all *****" on it, or write on it that none of the candidates are worth your vote. Those spoiled papers have to be reported so your view is represented.

If you don't vote then you (generic you, not a personal you) are not distinguished from the people who can't be arsed to vote.

I voted for a change to the FPTP system, but unfortunately not enough people voted the same way.
Never understood the spoil your paper approach. It doesn't count for anything. Pointless.

If you spoil your paper you are lumped in with the loonies, if you vote for a Fringe party you are lumped in with the impotent protestors.

Fighting for change within a rigged system isn't anything to be proud of really.
Old 28th April 2017, 03:51 PM   #695
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.........I voted for a change to the FPTP system, but unfortunately not enough people voted the same way.
So did I. I know it won't happen, but I'd be very curious to see if the result were much different now.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 03:51 PM   #696
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A bit off topic, but there is always a point in voting in Australia regardless how safe the seat is as we also vote for the Upper House which has proportional representation.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2017, 04:05 PM   #697
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Fighting for change within a rigged system isn't anything to be proud of really.
What's the alternative? Doing nothing by not voting? At least if you spoil your paper the candidates get to see your paper.

Old 28th April 2017, 04:31 PM   #698
Rolfe

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
It would be a pity if he were to do that again, given that Bath is one of the more interesting seats in the country. It's certainly a constituency I'll be watching, because despite the Electoral Calculus prediction I think this is a potential LibDem gain from Conservative.

I did get the vague impression he was thinking about going back on his solemn and oft-expressed vow, and possibly going back to voting LibDem. Though having said that, I don't think Electoral Calculus is at all reliable at the individual seat level.
Old 28th April 2017, 05:03 PM   #699
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

What's the alternative? Doing nothing by not voting? At least if you spoil your paper the candidates get to see your paper.
Fighting to change the system.

Spoiling a paper is the most pathetic protest i can imagine.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM   #700
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
........I don't think Electoral Calculus is at all reliable at the individual seat level.
Neither do I, and that is why I think this seat could be interesting. I suspect that the LibDems will target it, and they are electorally effective generally in targeted seats, outperforming national polling levels. I think Bath could be very close.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 AM   #701
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Having been at a count, no they don't. The spoiled papers are just piled up together and no one but those counting, the overseers and maybe a candidate if they happen to walk past when your vote is counted will see it. I informed the ukip candidate that one of his votes was rendered void because someone covered it in BNP stickers. Otherwise he wouldn't have had a clue.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM   #702
Rolfe

At the counts I've been to, the candidates and their agents were invited to inspect the spoiled ballots with the returning officer so they could object to any decision they felt was wrong. There's usually quite a lot of jocular banter about what's said on some of those papers.

At my own count when I stood in a council by-election the spoiled and doubtful papers were projected on a screen so everyone could see and agree with how they were counted. This was a count by STV so of course it was electronic and they scanned the paper ballots in. One joker simply scrawled something across his paper that would be edited out by the autocensor here, and everybody burst out laughing when the scan appeared on the screen.
Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM   #703
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

I see the Tories have lost their Isle of Wight candidate after he described homosexuality as a danger to society. Where do they dig these people up from?
Old Yesterday, 05:05 AM   #704
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

I see the Tories have lost their Isle of Wight candidate after he described homosexuality as a danger to society. Where do they dig these people up from?
The 1950s.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM   #705
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Whenever I've been to a count the candidates are invited to look at the spoiled papers, and they always have done (if just for the laughs).

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #706
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Don't recall them doing it in the one I was at but I bow to your superior experience.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #707
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
The 1950s.
Well that is when the Tories feel it all went horribly wrong...
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #708
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well that is when the Tories feel it all went horribly wrong...
At the time they were more upbeat about the fifties.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics