ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 05:55 PM   #3641
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You interpreted an absolutely clear sentence in such a way as to make it absurd, and then came back to share that with us?
You wrote:

If I was an atheist? I would be horrified by Stalin. Pol pot, Castro, et al
You didn't write that you were horrified; you wrote that you would be horrified if you were an atheist. I'm not even the first person who pointed this out.

Why?
Why what? If your "Why?" means why now, I hadn't visited this thread recently and didn't know you had responded. If you meant why did I originally respond to your post, it's because absurdities like that capture my attention.

IMO some "atheistic" dictatorships might more accurately be called "idolatrous" - in thrall to cults of personality, ideology, extreme nationalism etc. That's just my opinion, after some reflection - not responding to anything you've said.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:19 PM   #3642
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
You wrote:

You didn't write that you were horrified; you wrote that you would be horrified if you were an atheist. I'm not even the first person who pointed it out .
Yeah, It ain't that difficult. If I say that, for example, "if I was an atheist, I'd be horrified at what a catastrophe this thread has been for atheists" that does not mean that as a skeptic I am not horrified at what a catastrophe it has been.

Pretty straightforward. Just focus on the words next time.

Old Today, 06:25 PM   #3643
Minoosh
Philosopher

Pretty straightforward. Just focus on the words next time.
Always.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:28 PM   #3644
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Always.
Well except for that post where you assumed all that stuff that wasn't there.
Old Today, 06:30 PM   #3645
Peregrinus
Muse

As an atheist, I'm horrified - well, mildly irked - no, simply bemused - at what a train wreck of a discussion a dog can make.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #3646
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
As an atheist, I'm horrified - well, mildly irked - no, simply bemused - at what a train wreck of a discussion a dog can make.

Dogs are very good at making messes.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:58 PM   #3647
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Huh, I'm not surprised at all.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:06 PM   #3648
Minoosh
Philosopher

If I were a carpenter
And you were a lady
Would you follow me anyway
Would you have my baby?

See, I read the lyrics above to mean Person One isn't a carpenter and Person Two isn't a lady, either. Which would tick me off, if I was/were female (which I am).

Hey, it's the subjunctive. I didn't invent it.
Old Today, 07:13 PM   #3649
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

If I were a carpenter
And you were a lady
Would you follow me anyway
Would you have my baby?

See, I read the lyrics above to mean Person One isn't a carpenter and Person Two isn't a lady, either. Which would tick me off, if I was/were female (which I am).

Hey, it's the subjunctive. I didn't invent it.
There is a problem with your reasoning. It is quite obvious.

See if you figure it out.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy