IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ouija boards

Old 19th January 2021, 03:30 PM   #81
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I know that Sundog hasn't been seen on the forum for over a decade, but allow me to make some corrections for historical purposes.

Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
Assumption: That the two people operating the Ouija board are honest.
Ouija boards are usually operated by more than two people.

Assumption: That a Ouija "session" is observed to produce sensible sentences.
Ouija boards rarely produce complete sentences.

..."Leaving out conscious fraud, what reasonable explanation exists for the apparent construction of meaningful sentences from two honest persons operating a Ouija board?"
No such construction exists.

Assuming, once again, that any such thing is observed.
An entirely unwarranted assumption.

Thank you for this trip down memory lane.
Old 31st January 2021, 12:26 PM   #82
Caroline13
Thinker

These boards have been around for so so long and my aunt used one when I was a little kid about 70+ yrs ago. I never got into one, but I do pendulum dowsing, applied kineosology and muscle testing and love love love these energy works.

Coast to coast had a guest the other night talk about her life with the Ouija and she was fascinating with all her history of them.

Last edited by Caroline13; 31st January 2021 at 12:28 PM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 06:56 PM   #83
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I lost a pendulum once and tired dowsing for it but could not find it.
Old 31st January 2021, 06:58 PM   #84
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
These boards have been around for so so long and my aunt used one when I was a little kid about 70+ yrs ago. I never got into one, but I do pendulum dowsing, applied kineosology and muscle testing and love love love these energy works.

Coast to coast had a guest the other night talk about her life with the Ouija and she was fascinating with all her history of them.
Do you find many?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 10:27 AM   #85
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Do you find many?
Well, the success rate goes back and forth.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2021, 06:21 PM   #86
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I lost a pendulum once and tired dowsing for it but could not find it.
That's too bad.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2021, 06:21 PM   #87
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by JimOfAllTrades View Post
Well, the success rate goes back and forth.
Depends what kind of success or non you are looking for.
Old 8th February 2021, 03:35 AM   #88
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

As much as I like seeing long dead threads, dead before I even joined the forum, I do wonder about why they are re-opened. Is it because new members are genuinely interested in the subject matter, or is it just taking the piss. Hmmm. I think it’s the latter.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 04:11 AM   #89
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Depends what kind of success or non you are looking for.
Obviously Jim's 'back and forth' comment was a play on words, the actual success rate of dowsing is exactly what a rational person would expect- that predicted by the laws of probability. No dowser has ever done better than chance when tested under conditions which rule out known sources of error. But I'm sure you know this, having properly researched the subject before posting on a sceptics forum.
Old 8th February 2021, 04:30 AM   #90
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As much as I like seeing long dead threads, dead before I even joined the forum, I do wonder about why they are re-opened. Is it because new members are genuinely interested in the subject matter, or is it just taking the piss. Hmmm. I think it’s the latter.
More likely, persons new to the forum simply do not take note of the last post date, simply because they do not know to do so

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 05:49 AM   #91
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Obviously Jim's 'back and forth' comment was a play on words, the actual success rate of dowsing is exactly what a rational person would expect- that predicted by the laws of probability. No dowser has ever done better than chance when tested under conditions which rule out known sources of error. But I'm sure you know this, having properly researched the subject before posting on a sceptics forum.
Y'mean like the research on acupuncture, homeopathy, what a vaccine is and uses of ascorbic acid? That class of research?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 06:49 AM   #92
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Y'mean like the research on acupuncture, homeopathy, what a vaccine is and uses of ascorbic acid? That class of research?
You could have just typed woo and saved time and bandwidth.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 07:09 AM   #93
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Yup, I could, but I just wanted to specify things which a particular poster has posted about. I mean, far be it from me to suggest that all their views are woo, I'm just going on what I know about.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 07:35 AM   #94
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yup, I could, but I just wanted to specify things which a particular poster has posted about. I mean, far be it from me to suggest that all their views are woo, I'm just going on what I know about.
So the woo you know about is acupuncture, homeopathy, vitamin C nonsense, etc? Good on you for recognizing it.
Old 8th February 2021, 12:03 PM   #95
Carrot Flower King
Muse

No, the woo I commented on is what has been posted by a particular poster, which is what I said, i.e. that I know that poster comments on that woo and hasn't on others. I thought that was clear enough...

Unfortunately I have encountered many more kinds of woo.
Old 8th February 2021, 03:00 PM   #96
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No, the woo I commented on is what has been posted by a particular poster, which is what I said, i.e. that I know that poster comments on that woo and hasn't on others. I thought that was clear enough...

Unfortunately I have encountered many more kinds of woo.
For some reason, I thought I was replying to Caroline 13; I apologize for the mix-up.
Old 8th February 2021, 08:16 PM   #97
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
So the woo you know about is acupuncture, homeopathy, vitamin C nonsense, etc? Good on you for recognizing it.
None of these are nonsense. Just because most of you big time skeptics want to believe it and do your best to discredit, many people use all of them and with success.

Last edited by Caroline13; 8th February 2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 8th February 2021, 08:19 PM   #98
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
More likely, persons new to the forum simply do not take note of the last post date, simply because they do not know to do so
Good grief, I didn't even notice the date and YES I'm a new member. And as I mentioned the Ouija Board was mentioned in a discussion the other night on coast to coast but maybe I didn't mention that, but so many love to make mountains out of mole hills, like make something out of such a little thing...Yikes...

Chill out people

Last edited by Caroline13; 8th February 2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 8th February 2021, 10:21 PM   #99
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

None of these are nonsense. Just because most of you big time skeptics want to believe it and do your best to discredit, many people use all of them and with success.
The whole point of scepticism is to ensure that you only believe things for which there is objective evidence, NOT because you want to believe them.

The word for people who believe things based on anecdotes and desires, whilst wilfully ignoring mountains of objective evidence which proves them wrong, is 'gullible'.
Old 9th February 2021, 05:11 AM   #100
kali1137
Graduate Poster

If this were true, there would be studies and data to back it up. It really is that simple. Think about how long all these things have been in "use" and still no one ever brings legit studies to the board. Just personal stories of how it works for them and worked for a brother's cousin's neighbor.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 06:24 AM   #101
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Good grief, I didn't even notice the date and YES I'm a new member. And as I mentioned the Ouija Board was mentioned in a discussion the other night on coast to coast but maybe I didn't mention that, but so many love to make mountains out of mole hills, like make something out of such a little thing...Yikes...

Chill out people
You are aware the Ouija board is a board game, a game to be played in the better parlours of the world? It was never anything to do with the supernatural beyond marketing.
Old 9th February 2021, 08:51 AM   #102
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Are you aware of where you are posting this nonsense?
Old 9th February 2021, 09:46 AM   #103
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You are aware the Ouija board is a board game, a game to be played in the better parlours of the world? It was never anything to do with the supernatural beyond marketing.
Well, what we now know as the Ouija board game (patented in the late 1800's) did derive from ancient methods of divination/speaking with the "spirits." The Ouija itself gained popularity with spiritualists and even Aleister Crowley, who used it in his "magick" rituals. So, while it's inventor may not have necessarily believed that it was supernatural, it's first users and major proponents clearly did. To this day, people still think there's something to it.

To be clear, it's quite obviously a result of the ideomotor response, the same thing that is responsible for dowsing, pendulum swings, etc. Have you ever tried holding a pendulum and getting it to swing in different directions without you conciously trying to move it? If you don't know about the ideomotor response, it looks and feels like genuine telekinesis. Even when you know it's minute, unconcious tremors in your muscles that is causing the phenomenon, it's still pretty dang cool. So is Ouija, which explains it's popularity to the present day. Few things are more enjoyable than sitting for a session with a true believer and subtly guiding the planchette to say horrible things about them -at least I used to get a kick out of it back in the day.
Old 10th February 2021, 12:40 PM   #104
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Few things are more enjoyable than sitting for a session with a true believer and subtly guiding the planchette to say horrible things about them -at least I used to get a kick out of it back in the day.
The best is when you can feel the believer shoving it away from the damning response. veins start to bulge on the forearms of people who are "not at all" exerting pressure on the poor planchette.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 01:22 PM   #105
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The best is when you can feel the believer shoving it away from the damning response. veins start to bulge on the forearms of people who are "not at all" exerting pressure on the poor planchette.
It might be interesting to equip a planchet with piezoelectric pressure sensors to record how much force each person is using.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 01:33 PM   #106
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
It might be interesting to equip a planchet with piezoelectric pressure sensors to record how much force each person is using.
And monitor the participants heart rates at the same time.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2021, 06:26 PM   #107
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've never had the opportunity to use a Ouija board - in my Christian days it was satanic, and in my neo-pagan days my friends told me that it could only contact elementals who are only interested in messing around with you. But if I did today, I think I'd probably just press down on the planchette and not let it move.
Old 10th February 2021, 10:59 PM   #108
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've never had the opportunity to use a Ouija board - in my Christian days it was satanic, and in my neo-pagan days my friends told me that it could only contact elementals who are only interested in messing around with you. But if I did today, I think I'd probably just press down on the planchette and not let it move.

I’d try to make it spell “Drink more Ovaltine”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th February 2021, 11:05 PM   #109
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Or "Play Monopolytm"

The Ouija board is owned by Hasbro, after all.
Old 13th February 2021, 08:28 PM   #110
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Hooray! We’re BIG TIME!
Old 14th February 2021, 09:16 AM   #111
RolandRat
Muse

applied kineosology
Not heard of this before so decided to check it out.

"Applied kinesiology (AK) is a pseudoscience-based technique[1] in alternative medicine claimed to be able to diagnose illness or choose treatment by testing muscles for strength and weakness.[2]

According to their guidelines on allergy diagnostic testing, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology stated there is "no evidence of diagnostic validity" of applied kinesiology.[3] "Another study indicated that the use of applied kinesiology to evaluate nutrient status is no more useful than random guessing,"[4] and the American Cancer Society has said that "scientific evidence does not support the claim that applied kinesiology can diagnose or treat cancer or other illness"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applie...and%20weakness.

Well that's 10 minutes I'll never get back.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 02:09 PM   #112
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Chill out people
OK, then.
Thread necromancy is frowned upon as a behaviour in general for obvious reasons.

You have 65 posts. How many have I? This should not be a difficult question for you. I have a feeling that you cannot work that out. I could be wrong, but I await your reply.

You have presented a hatload of claims accompanied by NO EVIDENCE OF ANY SORT. Why would any reasonable person find this even vaguely convincing of anything?

I eagerly anticipate your coherent answers.

Moist regards.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 08:03 PM   #113
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Not heard of this before so decided to check it out.

"Applied kinesiology (AK) is a pseudoscience-based technique[1] in alternative medicine claimed to be able to diagnose illness or choose treatment by testing muscles for strength and weakness.[2]

According to their guidelines on allergy diagnostic testing, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology stated there is "no evidence of diagnostic validity" of applied kinesiology.[3] "Another study indicated that the use of applied kinesiology to evaluate nutrient status is no more useful than random guessing,"[4] and the American Cancer Society has said that "scientific evidence does not support the claim that applied kinesiology can diagnose or treat cancer or other illness"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applie...and%20weakness.

Well that's 10 minutes I'll never get back.
I can demonstrate the trick to anyone who's interested. Make no mistake - it is a trick. It verges on being a magic trick.
Old 15th February 2021, 10:58 PM   #114
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Name jusat one who has done it under scientific conditions. I'll wait.
Old 16th February 2021, 07:42 AM   #115
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
If Ouija boards were really all that effecatious for contacting the spirit world, why can't you just place the planchette on the board and sit back while the spirits moved it and spelled out words.

Why do so many things paranormal have to befacilitated by humans? At least Poltergeists can move stuff on their own...

Damn lazy spirits...
It's funny you should say that, the new CBS version of "The Stand" has Nadine's friends -- instead of a Ouija board-- pull a plastic object out of a box labeled "Planchette" into which they mount a pen, receiving "spirit" messages that way, via automatic writing. I wonder if it's an older version of the famous consumer "ouija" board?

EDIT: Holy Thread Necromancy! The spirits of 2003 are among us!

Last edited by gnome; 16th February 2021 at 07:44 AM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 10:53 AM   #116
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
EDIT: Holy Thread Necromancy! The spirits of 2003 are among us!
At least it was an appropriate thread for necromancy

Old 16th February 2021, 11:50 AM   #117
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Ah, either a Little Orphan Annie or a Captain Midnight fan! For years I had a Mandela effect memory of having owned a CM secret decoder ring, but I couldn't have.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 12:37 PM   #118
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

...or anyone who has been within earshot of TV tuned to a major broadcast station within two months of Christmas.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 04:43 PM   #119
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
...or anyone who has been within earshot of TV tuned to a major broadcast station within two months of Christmas.
As long as it isn't eyeshot.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 07:52 PM   #120
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Name jusat one who has done it under scientific conditions. I'll wait.
Why does everything have to be scientific? How about some fun and curosity and energy work.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal