IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags language

Old 15th January 2021, 01:31 PM   #1
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Words, unusual and interesting? Favorites?

I love learning new - to me - words and their meanings. It seems that I recall a few years back there was a thread about favorite words, but I couldn't locate them.

Here are two that have caught my eye:

Lalochezia. It is a feeling of emotional relief that comes after a person swears.

Limerence. Now this one I wrote down a few months back so I may be a little off. Limerence is a deep crush on someone, but not love. (OK, I have to look the definitions up again!)

What words are on your list?
Old 15th January 2021, 03:47 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

triphangeal thumb: a malformation of the thumb where it has an extra bone and joint

bezant: a Byzantine coin, or a roundel in heraldry

vicereine: a female viceroy

champerty: illegal agreement in which a person with no previous interest in a lawsuit finances it with a view to sharing the disputed property if the suit succeeds

harpax legomenon: a word used one time only in a given work (this is a big deal in ancient texts)

incubation: sleeping in a sacred place in order to inspire a divine visitation in dreaming

ekpyrosis: the fiery destruction of the cosmos

monolatry: the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods

cephalophore: depiction of a decapitated saint carrying their own head
Old 15th January 2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Inspissated: thickened and concentrated by dehydration. Milton describes the atmosphere of Hell as "inspissated gloom."
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 04:19 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That first one sounds awesome. Think of the stuff you could do with it! Ok, maybe don't.

ETA: Formication. The feeling that ants are crawling on your skin.
Old 15th January 2021, 08:55 PM   #5
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Chthonic : of or relating to the underworld.

I had to wait for two years after first reading that word before I found a context where I could use it in a spoken conversation.
Old 16th January 2021, 07:14 AM   #6
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

“Lubricious”.....Sexually arousing.

“Reberverative”.....Something that speaks to resonance.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #7
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Platykurtosis. It's a statistical term but it always makes me think of a weird disease.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 10:45 PM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Jabbernowl. It's a synonym for numbskull or idiot. WC Fields uses the term in The Bank Dick and it also popped up in an episode of Bertie and Jeeves on Masterpiece Theatre back in the day.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 04:53 AM   #9
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Nomophobia- Irrational fear of not having access to your phone
= No more phone phobia

(evidently 'word of the year' in 2018 though I must have missed the memo)

Last edited by Sherkeu; 17th January 2021 at 04:54 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 09:12 PM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Ochlocracy. The only word in English that is longer than its definition. It means "mob rule".

And I would be remiss if I didn't include floccinaucinihilipilification - the act of valuing something as worthless.
Old 18th January 2021, 05:43 AM   #11
Wudang
BOFH

Follow Susie Dent on twitter. @susie_dent

January 15 entry.

"Word of the day is 'quockerwodger' (19th century): a puppet-like individual whose strings of action are pulled by someone else."

Her Jan 6th word of the day
"Word of the day is 'sequaciousness' (17th century): the blinkered, unreasoning, and slavish following of another, no matter where it leads."
Often topical without explicitly saying the connection.

Last edited by Wudang; 18th January 2021 at 05:49 AM.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 05:45 AM   #12
Wudang
BOFH

I like the word "selcouth : Rarely or little known; unusual; uncommon". So saying "Selcouth is selcouth" is not necessarily an identity statement.
Old 18th January 2021, 06:49 AM   #13
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

I came across a word that was new to me the other day in relation to my cats when I read that cats are 'crepuscular' meaning they are particularly active at twilight (as opposed to diurnal, day or nocturnal, night).

So, quite like that one as it was new to me.

One of my all time favourites though is 'exacerbate'.

Sadly, I can no longer use it in my working life as we have to write everything in 'plain English' or 'can be understood by the average 12 year old' so we have to say 'makes it worse'. My argument that I knew what 'exacerbate' meant when I was 12 and that you find out what words mean and develop your vocabulary by seeing them used in context (or simply looking them up if you don't understand them) was, unfortunately, not convincing enough.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 10:02 AM   #14
Spektator

Rumbustious: Loud and unruly.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 10:03 AM   #15
Spektator

Rumbustious: loud and unruly.
Old 18th January 2021, 03:51 PM   #16
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Rumbustious: loud and unruly.
and apparently - an echo!
Old 18th January 2021, 04:46 PM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Echolalia - the inability to speak except by repeating something someone else has said. From, of course, the Greek myth about Echo and Narcissus.
Old 18th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #18
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Oh boy, more words for Hangman.
Old 18th January 2021, 05:53 PM   #19
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Ochlocracy. The only word in English that is longer than its definition. It means "mob rule".

And I would be remiss if I didn't include floccinaucinihilipilification - the act of valuing something as worthless.
Oh, ochlocracy! I will add that to my favorite-word list! (Why does it make me think of trump?)

As far as floccinau . . . what ever - it does have an interesting definition.
Old 18th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Oh, ochlocracy! I will add that to my favorite-word list! (Why does it make me think of trump?)
There was certainly ochlocracy on January 6th.

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
As far as floccinau . . . what ever - it does have an interesting definition.
Floccinaucinihilipilification. It's fun to say, too. Floxi-noxi-nee-hillee-pillee-fi-cation.
Old 18th January 2021, 07:31 PM   #21
Spektator

Syzygy. Crapulous. Beazle. Cattywampus. Grawcoddled.
Old 19th January 2021, 05:15 AM   #22
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
I came across a word that was new to me the other day in relation to my cats when I read that cats are 'crepuscular' meaning they are particularly active at twilight (as opposed to diurnal, day or nocturnal, night).
I remember that from Doctor Who.
Echolalia also occurred in an episode, though it wasn't named.

Today I introduced my SO's to Dolchstoßlegende, a German compound work literally meaning "back stab legend", i.e. the infamous stab-in-the-back myth that helps Hitler's rise to power. It hasn't really made it into English, yet.
Unlike zeitgeist which has and is also useful around now.
Amphibology (a grammatically ambiguous phrase) is a favourite of mine.
Recently one of my SOs described the other as "callipygian", which I confess floored both of us. It means "possessing shapely buttocks"...
But then coprolalia is a bad habit of academics.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 05:23 AM   #23
Wudang
BOFH

Curiously I encountered dolchstoß for the first time today in this series of tweets

https://twitter.com/Pramas/status/1351292415475290114
Old 19th January 2021, 06:42 AM   #24
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Curiously I encountered dolchstoß for the first time today in this series of tweets

https://twitter.com/Pramas/status/1351292415475290114
It has become very much the zeitgeist, among certain groups.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:45 AM   #25
Monza
Alta Viro

Cinemuck - The sticky substance of popcorn, soda, and chocolate on the floor of a movie theater.

Doork - A person who pushes on a door marked "pull."

Sniglet - Any word that should be in the dictionary, but isn't.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:05 AM   #26
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Cinemuck - The sticky substance of popcorn, soda, and chocolate on the floor of a movie theater.

Krood - A person who pulls on a door marked "push."
Old 19th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #27
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Rebarbative, making you want to throw up.

Swarf, a versatile word that can mean either a swoon (or the act of swooning), or the residue from metal machining.

Courtesy of Wycliffe's Bible, we get arseropes, the intestines.

Gupsh, an Egyptian word meaning the stone equivalent of swarf #2.

Gulosity, gluttony.

Bathycolpous, having pendulous breasts.

Frumentation, government handouts, literally "public largesse of corn."

Sulciform, looking like the part of your brain that's like groovy, man.

I almost forgot one of my favorite pairs of words: Contumelious, severely reproachful, and Contumaceous, deserving the former.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 19th January 2021 at 11:34 AM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:18 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Litotes - a rhetorical construction where you make a point by denying its opposite. "You're not wrong".
Old 19th January 2021, 04:02 PM   #29
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by Monza View Post

I remember when Rich Hall debuted sniglets on Not Necessarily The News. His first ones were kinda gibberish-ish. But then people started sending in their own, and they made a lot more sense.

Bovilexia - the urge to lean out the window and yell "Moo!" as you pass a cow.

Ignisecond - the time between realizing you left the key in the ignition and the locked door closing (probably happens less often these days)

Gimmeimium - the length of time you wait to be the nth caller for a radio giveaway.

Arachnidiot - flailing about after walking through a spider web. (a common affliction of mine...)

I know - these don't even come close to the cool ones y'all have been posting!
Old 19th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #30
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

When I moved next to an estuary I learned some new relevant ichthyological terms:

euryhaline -- able to tolerate a wide range of salinity
anadromous -- ocean dwelling but entering fresh water sources to spawn (e.g. salmon)
catadromous -- fresh water dwelling but entering the ocean to spawn (e.g. many eel species)
diadromous -- cycling between fresh and salt water habitats (e.g. alewife)
Old 19th January 2021, 05:07 PM   #31
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Qausiantichurchdisestablishmentarianismistically.

No idea what it means, but I trot it out in "longest word" contests.

Also, chemical formulae tend to be longish too.

2-4-toluene di-iso-cyanate. Used in paint, do NOT drink it!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 05:56 PM   #32
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Juicing - what you do to pigs.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:57 PM   #33
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The salinity words above remind me of one that's rather limited, but those who have ever owned a Ducati motorcycle will be fond of it: desmodromic. Describing a valve train both opened and closed by cams.

I've always had a fondness for the word hebetude, too. Boring dullness.

And in the category of a good word and an even better definition, I bring you (probably not for the first time) pleonasm, defined by Ambrose Bierce as "an army of words escorting a corporal of thought."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:11 PM   #34
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Qausiantichurchdisestablishmentarianismistically.

No idea what it means, but I trot it out in "longest word" contests.
Someone's mangled the word to make it meaninglessly longer.

The word is Antidisestablishmentarianism. And it means being against the people who are against the establishment (ie, the Church of England) without necessarily being for the establishment yourself.

Construction of stacked prefixes and suffixes:
Establishment - Church of England
Disestablishment - Against the Church of England
Antidisestablishment - Against those who are against the Church of Engliad
Antiodisestablishmentarian - Descriptive of a person who is against those who are against the Church of England
Antidisestablishmentarianism - The philosoophy of being against those who are against the Church of England.

Your word is a bit like hippomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. The word sesquipedaliphobia is the recognised word for an irrational fear of long words. Someone just tacked on "hippo" and "monstro" to make the word bigger because they are big-sounding components. Also, Wiktionary notes that "fear of long words" is perfectly valid.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:23 PM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I've always been fond of the word "gelid" because for some reason to me it really, really looks like it ought to mean the exact opposite of what it does. I don't know why it strikes me that way, but it does.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:51 AM   #36
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've always been fond of the word "gelid" because for some reason to me it really, really looks like it ought to mean the exact opposite of what it does. I don't know why it strikes me that way, but it does.
Hmm... "ekpyrotic sex toilet" vs "gelidic sex toilet". I'm fine not personally finding out which one is worse.
Old 20th January 2021, 04:04 AM   #37
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

A recent word that fascinated me was 'torpor' . We all know the meaning of this everyday word, as in, 'that speech sent me into a torpor'. However, there was a recent article in a newspaper explaining that bears do not hibernate, they go into what biologists call a 'torpor'.

Yes! I thought as winter drew near and the morning didn't lighten until 10:00am. That's what I should do. Not hibernate but just lie in bed until 9:30 instead of getting up promptly at 7:00am, without feeling guilty. I am just having a winter torpor. That's it!

Thank you, Bear.

What a great example you are to us all.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!

Last edited by Vixen; 20th January 2021 at 04:05 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 04:18 AM   #38
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post

So, quite like that one as it was new to me.

One of my all time favourites though is 'exacerbate'.

Sadly, I can no longer use it in my working life as we have to write everything in 'plain English' or 'can be understood by the average 12 year old' so we have to say 'makes it worse'. My argument that I knew what 'exacerbate' meant when I was 12 and that you find out what words mean and develop your vocabulary by seeing them used in context (or simply looking them up if you don't understand them) was, unfortunately, not convincing enough.
Reminds of the time when, at a meeting, my, then, boss (yes, you Duncan McGuire!) poked fun at me because of my repeated misspelling of "exaggerate". I don't think he had ever experienced the work "exacerbate" until he read it in my report and yet, instead of educating himself, decided that it couldn't be right!

My other half often tells me to "dumb down" emails to certain organisations. Just the other day she advised that using a simple phrase like "bait and switch" would be enough to blow a circuit in the brain of the Paypal operative I was emailing. Sadly, she turned out to be correct...
Old 20th January 2021, 05:13 AM   #39
Spektator

Tussock.
Jigger - according to QI has 28 primary meanings, including both "vagina" and "penis."
Old 20th January 2021, 05:23 AM   #40
Wudang
BOFH

One I got people using a couple of times “iatrogenic “ - caused by a doctor. It has surprisingly many applications in IT.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts