IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th January 2021, 08:05 PM   #1361
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

So, who had “27” as the number of threads devoted to the Trump presidency?
Old 19th January 2021, 08:06 PM   #1362
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I just received a pardon in the post signed by Trump for the red light I got back in 2002
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:08 PM   #1363
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
It looks as if Trump's minions may have to hire actors to give him his goodbye crowd. I've seen on another board what may just be a rumor - some of the alt-right militants are seriously butthurt because the president dissed them twice now, once in the video decrying violence and now again in his farewell address. "A lot of people are saying," as someone used to say, that Trump now shares space on the targets list with Pence and Pelosi.
Oh yeah, there's a large swath of the vocal MAGAts that turned on T after the first post riot video.
Something like... we're in charge now "get out of our way". It was lovely.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:09 PM   #1364
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump apparently taking about forming a new "Patriot Party".
Oh, the is going to thrill the Republicans in the Senate...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:11 PM   #1365
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Fear of Trump starting a splinter party might make some Republicans think twice about convicting him in the senate, though. That way, at least, they might think they can keep his base.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:22 PM   #1366
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Or it might have the opposite effectL Kill it in bud by convicting Trump and keeping him from running for office again. That would pretty much wreck any plans for a new Party.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:26 PM   #1367
bam
Scholar

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Or it might have the opposite effectL Kill it in bud by convicting Trump and keeping him from running for office again. That would pretty much wreck any plans for a new Party.
This^might be just what is needed to convince the Senate to convict.
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:27 PM   #1368
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Yes, if they also vote separately to bar him from future office.

That would be so awesome.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:28 PM   #1369
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Has there been something preventing Putin from doing that up to now? Would there be something preventing him from doing that if the servers were elsewhere than Russia?
No, in fact Putin was responsible for thousands of bots and fake accounts plus data analysis that determined how to apply them in 2016.

But it will give Putin a platform with more control over 2016 acting on events controlled by others.

IOW he can be stealthier and perhaps more effective with his very own platform.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:29 PM   #1370
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump might not Pardon himself and his brood in the assumption that it would make it harder for him to run in 2024.
I doubt he will have the sense to go away quietly.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:32 PM   #1371
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I just received a pardon in the post signed by Trump for the red light I got back in 2002
I got mine too! For streaking in 1976.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:33 PM   #1372
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Notice Fast Eddie's link has 3 hours less than yours.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:39 PM   #1373
dirtywick
Illuminator

i think that's part of it.

the other benefit of convicting is he is not the de facto party leader anymore. having him play kingmaker from the sidelines by threatening to primary anyone who doesn't do his bidding as he becomes increasingly unhinged probably hasn't been very appealing to many of them. i'm sure they'd rather not have that continue.

plus, there's a few senators that are retiring soon, others he has made enemies of, and he basically encouraged a death squad to kill the vp not too long ago. cutting ties with him makes a lot of sense.

-edit-

to put it another way, how many tommy tubervilles do they want in the US senate?

Last edited by dirtywick; 19th January 2021 at 08:42 PM.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:50 PM   #1374
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I got mine too! For streaking in 1976.
Pics or it didn't happen.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #1375
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No, in fact Putin was responsible for thousands of bots and fake accounts plus data analysis that determined how to apply them in 2016.

But it will give Putin a platform with more control over 2016 acting on events controlled by others.

IOW he can be stealthier and perhaps more effective with his very own platform.
As we have seen, though, once National Security Letters start showing up by the dozens, suddenly the hosting providers, third-party metadata brokers, and advertisers all disappear.

While secret funding from Moscow might keep them afloat, it's a possibility so obvious it couldn't be done if the agent controlling the program has half a brain.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 19th January 2021 at 09:09 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:17 PM   #1376
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
But the important thing to realize is that, according to people like Lady Lindsey, Trump is trying to "heal the nation".
Maybe it is just a homonym issue.
Perhaps she said Trump is trying to heel the nation.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:24 PM   #1377
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
But the important thing to realize is that, according to people like Lady Lindsey, Trump is trying to "heal the nation".
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Maybe it is just a homonym issue.
Perhaps she said Trump is trying to heel the nation.
Could he have inadvertently meant heil the nation?
Old 19th January 2021, 09:27 PM   #1378
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

This Lady name calling looks homophobic.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 11:49 PM   #1379
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

In his entire presidency, Trump issued one single anti-corruption focused executive order. He has just quietly rescinded it as one of the very last acts of his term.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 11:58 PM   #1380
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
In his entire presidency, Trump issued one single anti-corruption focused executive order. He has just quietly rescinded it as one of the very last acts of his term.
Is that part of the healing or is it part of the unity?
Old 20th January 2021, 12:16 AM   #1381
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Not surprising. What's in it for him? Or need I ask?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:10 AM   #1382
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

He issued a pre-taped farewell speech. Obviously not written by him. He delivers it in his normal manner when reading a speech like an 11-year old child reciting from a book in front of the class. With really bizarre and disturbing jump cuts like it was edited by an 11-year old child, who never edited anything ever before.

He says "we were all horrified by the assault on our Capitol" despite reportedly being delighted by the riot and, at the time, calling the rioters "beautiful" and saying that he loved them. Not horrified by, but that he loved them.

He says "our agenda was not about right or left, it wasn't about Republican or Democrat, but about the good of a nation Donald Trump..."

He seems to be saying a lot of "we" and avoiding saying "I". Somebody isn't taking personal responsibility...
Old 20th January 2021, 01:12 AM   #1383
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not surprising. What's in it for him? Or need I ask?
Assuming the rumors are true about Trump's political aspirations for the future, this little backpedal will allow his staff and advisors to (theoretically) make money as lobbyists starting right away. It's a favor to promote their continued loyalty while Trump waits to run again in four years.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:29 AM   #1384
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

List of pardons includes Bannon. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...sidency-report

Full list - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-the-full-list

Quote:
Trump did not attempt to give himself a pre-emptive pardon, and has not pardoned members of his family or Rudy Giuliani, his former personal lawyer with whom he has fallen out. Julian Assange was another figure subject to speculation who was not on the list. Prosecutors and scholars have, however, said a grey area in the constitution means a president may be able to issue “secret” pardons, without notifying Congress or the public.

ETA: Separate thread on the pardons here - http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=348912
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 20th January 2021 at 01:37 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:41 AM   #1385
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Longest ever Jonathan Pie rant - 12 minutes.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:43 AM   #1386
Tolls
Philosopher

Notice Fast Eddie's link has 3 hours less than yours.
That's because Fast Eddie's is using EST, and the other one is using the system clock, so mine reckons it's only 3 hours or so to go (GMT).
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:59 AM   #1387
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
That's because Fast Eddie's is using EST, and the other one is using the system clock, so mine reckons it's only 3 hours or so to go (GMT).
That makes no sense. It's the same number of hours until 12 noon in DC. It might be a different time here: 9 am here 12 there.

But oddly enough the clock I've been using (the other one, Regnad Kcin's) says there are just under 9 hour to go. That would make it noon here. So that is the clock that has been wrong all this time.

Fast Eddie found the correct countdown. I wonder what this clock is going to say when the inauguration happens and it turns out to show 3 hours left.

Whatever time you are looking at, that is 3 hours off the other direction. There are ~6 hours left to go now, not 3 and not 9.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th January 2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old 20th January 2021, 04:46 AM   #1388
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

That makes no sense. It's the same number of hours until 12 noon in DC. It might be a different time here: 9 am here 12 there.

But oddly enough the clock I've been using (the other one, Regnad Kcin's) says there are just under 9 hour to go. That would make it noon here. So that is the clock that has been wrong all this time.

Fast Eddie found the correct countdown. I wonder what this clock is going to say when the inauguration happens and it turns out to show 3 hours left.

Whatever time you are looking at, that is 3 hours off the other direction. There are ~6 hours left to go now, not 3 and not 9.

I think this is all part of the 5-D chess game. Trump is going to be inaugurated 3 hours early, then when Biden turns up 3 hours late the secret strike force will arrest him and tell him Trump's second term started 6 hours ago.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 05:14 AM   #1389
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

In a stroke of genius, Nigella Lawson has chosen this as her recipe of the day: Bitter Orange Tart.

Although she's feigning innocence: https://twitter.com/Nigella_Lawson/s...38041573351428

Quote:
Well, yes, Bitter Orange Tart just happens to be #RecipeOfTheDay. Apart from anything else, there are more things to make with Seville oranges than marmalade! This is not complicated: the base is bashed ginger nuts https://nigella.com/recipes/bitter-orange-tart
Old 20th January 2021, 06:06 AM   #1390
Tolls
Philosopher

That makes no sense. It's the same number of hours until 12 noon in DC. It might be a different time here: 9 am here 12 there
I'm GMT.
The non-EST one is simply looking at time between now and noon by the system clock on my PC...which happened 75 minutes ago, so the clock is telling me it's already happened (it's at zero).

Fast Eddie's isn't doing that.
It's doing time between now and 12 noon DC time.
Which is the correct way.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:15 AM   #1391
Tero
Master Poster

You will see lots of press photos, but I got a screen shot off the wheels off moment, they are just about a foot off the ground. No returns. Looked like Trump, melania (with Louis Vuitton suitcase loaded a little earlier). Ivanka et al. apparently were driven to Andrews earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helicopter wheels off.jpg (48.7 KB, 23 views)

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 20th January 2021 at 06:32 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:27 AM   #1392
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Trump's yuge crowd at Joint Base Andrews is estimated at less than 200. Since everyone invited got five tickets, that must mean that forty of his friends showed up
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:28 AM   #1393
Monza
Alta Viro

Whew. Finally.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:32 AM   #1394
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Geez he's really spewing the ******** at his goodbye rally.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:36 AM   #1395
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Did he choose the music himself?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:36 AM   #1396
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

YMCA, one last time ...
Old 20th January 2021, 06:37 AM   #1397
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

The "embraces" with Donald Jr and Tiffany's fiance were ... weird

Last edited by Firestone; 20th January 2021 at 06:42 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:38 AM   #1398
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yes, he always specifies the playlist before appearances.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:38 AM   #1399
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Supposedly so.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 06:41 AM   #1400
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
I had to turn it off.

Right before I did he said Melania was the most popular First Lady ever. In fact, I think she’s the first to never break through 50% approval.

At least Daniel Dale may have a chance at one final fact check installment.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics