ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 03:52 PM   #3521
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,624
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Of great use to a development of accurate understanding of reality for you would be to drop the naive notion that there are "unbiased" journalistic sources. What's important is transparency, and that's why a source called "conservative treehouse" or "world socialist web site" is preferable in principle (if their research is solid) to one that pretends to be fair and balanced, first and foremost the "papers of record" which are anything but that.
There's a difference between having a political slant and regurgitating partisan propaganda, as I suspect you know.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:05 PM   #3522
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,624
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Oh, and Squeegee, the "illegal" claim is in the first sentence of the first point in the letter. They just call it "unlawful". Maybe I should accuse you of disinformation now? Or did you just lie to yourself again?
The letter says that the GSA's actions were "unlawful", not Mueller's. But that doesn't cast Mueller's investigation in the same bad light, does it?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:14 PM   #3523
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,768
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Of great use to a development of accurate understanding of reality for you would be to drop the naive notion that there are "unbiased" journalistic sources.
You might benefit from accepting that there is an objective reality available for all of us to observe and, indeed, absorb and inwardly digest.

Your "sources" universally fly in the face of it, and make you appear to be nothing more than a conduit.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:16 PM   #3524
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,768
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The letter says that the GSA's actions were "unlawful", not Mueller's. But that doesn't cast Mueller's investigation in the same bad light, does it?
A bad light on one part of the deep state is a bad light on it all. Lie with dogs, get up with fleas.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:24 PM   #3525
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster
 
ferd burfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Just short of Zeta II Reticuli
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
If you can ever figure out what just it is that you are talking about, then kindly let the rest of us know.

It doesn’t need to make sense. Anything that promotes FUD makes Vladimir smile.
__________________
"You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t.”-Fran Lebowitz
"A target doesn't need to be preselected"-Jabba
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:27 PM   #3526
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,768
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There's a difference between having a political slant and regurgitating partisan propaganda, as I suspect you know.
You're more charitable than me. I don't suspect cynicism, I'm pretty sure it's down to belief. (I have a low opinion of belief.)
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:29 PM   #3527
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 69,585
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The letter says that the GSA's actions were "unlawful", not Mueller's. But that doesn't cast Mueller's investigation in the same bad light, does it?
It's doubtful as well that the GSA's actions were unlawful. If there was any legal reason anywhere in the chain Trump's lawyers would have filed a motion. Instead in all of Trumplandistan the little creatures are working on manipulating the believers.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:34 PM   #3528
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,768
@ferd burfle :

Quote:
It doesn’t need to make sense. Anything that promotes FUD makes Vladimir smile.
Not if it promotes it at home. Putin's whole schtick is that with him in charge everything's under control (and Russia is great again).
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:45 PM   #3529
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,768
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's doubtful as well that the GSA's actions were unlawful. If there was any legal reason anywhere in the chain Trump's lawyers would have filed a motion. Instead in all of Trumplandistan the little creatures are working on manipulating the believers.
It also flies in the face of reality that Mueller would have taken the emails without following legal procedures scrupulously. He'd rather not have them otherwise, since that would poison the whole enquiry.

In reality it's as simple as has been said here so often : use a .gov account and the likes of Mueller can get a look at what you say. And it seems that some people did.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 06:53 AM   #3530
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,166
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Essentially I couldn't care less. Again, this isn't about the Mueller investigation's "bias" (that's what the Washington Pest pre$$titutes want you to believe - real journalism LOL), it is about how it came into being in the first place.
Can you define what "real Journalism" is for the class ?
I'll take that as a a resounding "no".

Color me surprised.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 20th December 2017 at 06:56 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 07:55 AM   #3531
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 83,560
Mod WarningDerail into whether objective reality" exists moved to AAH. If you want to discuss such matters please do so in the appropriate section of the Forum.
Posted By:Darat
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 08:03 AM   #3532
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 83,560
Mod InfoThread has slowed down, continuation can be found here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post12120126
Posted By:Darat
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.