ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th March 2018, 10:33 AM   #201
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ements-n855021

President Donald Trump's personal attorney used his Trump Organization email while arranging to transfer money into an account at a Manhattan bank before he wired $130,000 to adult film star Stormy Daniels to buy her silence.
In a statement last month, Cohen said he used his "personal funds to facilitate a payment" to Clifford, who says she had an intimate relationship with Trump a decade ago.

"Neither the Trump Organization nor the Trump campaign was a party to the transaction with Ms. Clifford, and neither reimbursed me for the payment, either directly or indirectly," Cohen said in that statement.

But an email uncovered in the last 24 hours and provided to NBC News by Clifford's current attorney, Michael Avenatti, shows First Republic Bank and Cohen communicated about the money using his Trump company email address, not his personal gmail account.

I guess that belies the notion that Cohen was acting on his own ?
More ammo regarding campaign finance issues.
Old 9th March 2018, 10:34 AM   #202
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Under the principles of comity, New York should apply Florida law to Florida citizens married in Florida but residing in New York.

And since he isn't Jewish, he probably cannot be said to have broken any law at all ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 10:34 AM   #203
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

President Donald Trump's personal attorney used his Trump Organization email while arranging to transfer money into an account at a Manhattan bank before he wired $130,000 to adult film star Stormy Daniels to buy her silence.
In a statement last month, Cohen said he used his "personal funds to facilitate a payment" to Clifford, who says she had an intimate relationship with Trump a decade ago.

"Neither the Trump Organization nor the Trump campaign was a party to the transaction with Ms. Clifford, and neither reimbursed me for the payment, either directly or indirectly," Cohen said in that statement.

But an email uncovered in the last 24 hours and provided to NBC News by Clifford's current attorney, Michael Avenatti, shows First Republic Bank and Cohen communicated about the money using his Trump company email address, not his personal gmail account.

It doesn't seem to answer one way or another. People do use work email for personal business when they are not supposed to.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 10:37 AM   #204
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

He should have used a personal server in his bathroom. So should have Hope Hicks
Old 9th March 2018, 10:38 AM   #205
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
In cases involving family law and related matters, which courts should have jurisdiction over married couples residing in New York?
You don't get it. This is all a plot by Trump to get the NY adultery law overturned.

It's 11 dimensional chess, folks
Old 9th March 2018, 10:46 AM   #206
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

He filed his taxes as a New York resident, last I checked.
wow, that surprises me because Florida has much better tax laws.

That does not change my answer but it would change the analysis a bit
"Brennan has a history that calls into question his objectivity and credibility. In 2014, for example, he denied to Congress that CIA officials under his supervision had improperly accessed the computer files of congressional staffers... The CIA’s Inspector General, however, contradicted Mr. Brennan directly"
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 10:50 AM   #207
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
You don't get it. This is all a plot by Trump to get the NY adultery law overturned.

It's 11 dimensional chess, folks
well she alleges that Trump was plowing the fields in 2006 and the statute of limitations is 5 years, so.....
"Brennan has a history that calls into question his objectivity and credibility. In 2014, for example, he denied to Congress that CIA officials under his supervision had improperly accessed the computer files of congressional staffers... The CIA’s Inspector General, however, contradicted Mr. Brennan directly"
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 10:52 AM   #208
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

In cases involving family law and related matters, which courts should have jurisdiction over married couples residing in New York?
Also Adultery is illegal in florida.

Here is a graphic

https://www.freep.com/story/life/201...igan/77154744/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 11:03 AM   #209
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Another proof that Evil and Incompetent aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 9th March 2018, 11:06 AM   #210
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

Here is a graphic

Not necessarily:

F.S. § 798.01 which forbids living in an open state of adultery, but the violation of which requires not only that the parties share the same home, but that they engage in acts of fornication as well. Grice v. State, 75 Fla. 751, 78 So. 984 (1918)
Old 9th March 2018, 11:40 AM   #211
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Here is a graphic

Also, lewd and lascivious behavior is illegal in Florida, and Trump could be in trouble for this issue. Here is the actual text of the law in question:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/798.02

798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.—If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or if any man or woman, married or unmarried, engages in open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

By the way, did anyone else notice that law in Florida is only criminal only if it is done in a heterosexual fashion?

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 9th March 2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Correction to the Posting was needed.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 11:44 AM   #212
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Indeed! Adultery is illegal in Florida, and here is the actual text of the law in question:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/798.02

798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.—If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or if any man or woman, married or unmarried, engages in open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

By the way, did anyone else notice that adultery in Florida is only criminal only if it is done in a heterosexual fashion?
Wrong it is then Lewd and Unnatural.

"800.02 Unnatural and lascivious act.—A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. A mother’s breastfeeding of her baby does not under any circumstance violate this section."

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0800.02.html

Also still the law of the land.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 11:49 AM   #213
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The adultery statute is F.S. § 798.01 not 798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.
Old 9th March 2018, 11:49 AM   #214
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It doesn't seem to answer one way or another. People do use work email for personal business when they are not supposed to.
It doesn't answer the question, but certainly casts doubt on his claim of acting on his own accord and not as Trumps counsel.
Old 9th March 2018, 11:49 AM   #215
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It's a wash if you don't pay any taxes.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 11:49 AM   #216
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Just for giggles, this is an article detailing Daniels' sparring with twitter trolls
Old 9th March 2018, 11:50 AM   #217
Crossbow

Wrong it is then Lewd and Unnatural.

"800.02 Unnatural and lascivious act.—A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. A mother’s breastfeeding of her baby does not under any circumstance violate this section."

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0800.02.html

Also still the law of the land.
My mistake!

The law that I directly referred does not pertain to adultery.

Last edited by Crossbow; 9th March 2018 at 11:52 AM.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 11:54 AM   #218
Crossbow

The adultery statute is F.S. § 798.01 not 798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.
You are quite correct, that was my mistake.

The law I referred to dealt with lewd and lascivious behavior as opposed to adultery.

Therefore, according to your reckoning, Trump could be in trouble in Florida for lewd and lascivious behavior as opposed to adultery.

Old 9th March 2018, 11:57 AM   #219
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You are quite correct, that was my mistake.

The law I referred to dealt with lewd and lascivious behavior as opposed to adultery.

Therefore, according to your reckoning, Trump could be in trouble in Florida for lewd and lascivious behavior as opposed to adultery.
well, no for several reasons, not the least of which is that he allegedly shot the meat rocket into the sausage wallet in California and Nevada
Old 9th March 2018, 11:59 AM   #220
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I like the troll who says why would he have sex with her when he could have sex with Ivanka. That really is something to ask Melenia.
Old 9th March 2018, 12:12 PM   #221
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

well she alleges that Trump was plowing the fields in 2006 and the statute of limitations is 5 years, so.....
The statute of limitations may or may not be relevant.

First of all, while his adultery may be passed the statute of limitations, the attempted cover up isn't. I'm not sure what the law says, but they may consider it illegal to cover up a crime even if the crime is too old to be prosecuted. (In which case people can just point and laugh at the defendant for wasting all that money for no reason).

Or they may consider the possibility that there are more recent cases of adultery that Trump could be guilty of, and they want to hide this one because it can be used to establish president/history.

Overall, I don't consider the adultery to be an important legal factor, and if it is, it is far less important than the issue of broken campaign finance laws. Its just nice to point at Trump and laugh.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:15 PM   #222
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

well, no for several reasons, not the least of which is that he allegedly shot the meat rocket into the sausage wallet in California and Nevada
Which may or may not be relevant. The actual sex may have taken place in California/Nevada, but the fact that he and Melania lived in New York means that the "crime" may have ties to more than 1 jurisdiction.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:18 PM   #223
Crossbow

'k.

Old 9th March 2018, 12:20 PM   #224
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, dear.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:00 PM   #225
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

But he is pretty clearly a NY resident, what with his kid going to school in NY and all. I doubt he spends enough time in FL to claim otherwise.

On your broader point: yes, the adultery thing is a red herring. The campaign finance law aspect is the real problem. And the ****** lawyering. I think both may tie back to the idea that he really didn't expect to win. But that is just a hunch.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:02 PM   #226
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Which may or may not be relevant. The actual sex may have taken place in California/Nevada, but the fact that he and Melania lived in New York means that the "crime" may have ties to more than 1 jurisdiction.
I can assure you just as God made little green apples that Donald Trump did not violate a Florida statute prohibiting lewd and lascivious conduct by Husker Duing Stomy Daniels in a hotel room in Lake Tahoe Nevada.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:05 PM   #227
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
On your broader point: yes, the adultery thing is a red herring. The campaign finance law aspect is the real problem. And the ****** lawyering. I think both may tie back to the idea that he really didn't expect to win. But that is just a hunch.
Let's not forget prostitution. There is no chance that their relationship was an "affair" in the sense of two people sharing genuine affection for each other. If they had sex, he paid her for it.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:09 PM   #228
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Let's not forget prostitution. There is no chance that their relationship was an "affair" in the sense of two people sharing genuine affection for each other. If they had sex, he paid her for it.
I'm not willing to presume her taste in men. But, even if that is more likely than not, does she do herself any favors by admitting as much?

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:12 PM   #229
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

She wanted to get on The Apprentice, she probably paid him.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:17 PM   #230
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

But he is pretty clearly a NY resident, what with his kid going to school in NY and all. I doubt he spends enough time in FL to claim otherwise.

The campaign finance thing is better, but they could not even get a similar charge to stick on John Edwards, what chance do they have on getting Donald Trump who merely wanted to hide the fact he was taking the bald-headed gnome for a stroll in the Stormy forest from his wife and son?

Last edited by The Big Dog; 9th March 2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:28 PM   #231
d4m10n
Illuminator

On your broader point: yes, the adultery thing is a red herring.
Would you say that Essential Consultants was set up for a genuinely lawful purpose?
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:32 PM   #232
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not willing to presume her taste in men. But, even if that is more likely than not, does she do herself any favors by admitting as much?
I think that would depend on her criminal record (a first offense probably wouldn't be a big deal), the financial upside she might foresee if she is allowed to say whatever she wants (she might already have offers on the table), and, most importantly, the likelihood that a specific jurisdiction would decide to prosecute her for prostitution given that doing so would require them to either prosecute or decline to prosecute (either would be problematic) the sitting POTUS for the same crime.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 9th March 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:35 PM   #233
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

The campaign finance thing is better, but they could not even get a similar charge to stick on John Edwards, what chance do they have on getting Donald Trump who merely wanted to hide the fact he was taking the bald-headed gnome for a stroll in the Stormy forest from his wife and son?
First of all, keep in mind that John Edwards was not found "not guilty" on everything. A mistrial was declared on several counts, suggesting that the results may have been close.

Secondly, given the total number of screw-ups coming from the trump camp (failure to sign documents, claims that the lawyer paid out of pocket, etc.) its possible that Trump's legal team is less competent than Edwards'.

Lastly, Trump is likely seen as a far less sympathetic defendant. What with being a Nazi-loving pussy grabber and all.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 9th March 2018, 01:35 PM   #234
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I think that would depend on her criminal record, the financial upside she might foresee if she is allowed to say whatever she wants, and, most importantly, the likelihood that a specific jurisdiction would decide to prosecute her for prostitution given that doing so would require them to either prosecute or decline to prosecute (either would be problematic) the sitting POTUS for the same crime.
FELLAS! She allegedly was interested in crashing the custard truck with Donald so she could get on his TV show.

No prostitution involved.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:38 PM   #235
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

For one, I bit Edwards had better lawyers. This arrangement sounds like something Trump hatched and pushed on his lawyers, not something proposed by a good lawyer.

I do like your euphemism work. Keep it up. But, if it lasts more than 4 hours, call your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 9th March 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:38 PM   #236
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
First of all, keep in mind that John Edwards was not found "not guilty" on everything. A mistrial was declared on several counts, suggesting that the results may have been close.

Secondly, given the total number of screw-ups coming from the trump camp (failure to sign documents, claims that the lawyer paid out of pocket, etc.) its possible that Trump's legal team is less competent than Edwards'.

Lastly, Trump is likely seen as a far less sympathetic defendant. What with being a Nazi-loving pussy grabber and all.
Less sympathetic than John *********** Edwards? Edwards had an extramarital affair and fathered a child while his wife was dying of cancer.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:39 PM   #237
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Would you say that Essential Consultants was set up for a genuinely lawful purpose?
I'm saying adultery will have nothing to do with that determination.

Old 9th March 2018, 01:41 PM   #238
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

For one, I bit Edwards had better lawyers. This arrangement sounds like something Trump hatched and pushed on his lawyers, not something proposed by a good lawyer.

I do like your euphemism work. Keep it up. But, if last more than 4 hours, call your doctor.
nah, the charge against Edwards was bs, and all Trump has to say is that he did it to keep the news from his wife, and he is sorry and and their relationship is much stronger and he has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:42 PM   #239
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I think that would depend on her criminal record (a first offense probably wouldn't be a big deal), the financial upside she might foresee if she is allowed to say whatever she wants (she might already have offers on the table), and, most importantly, the likelihood that a specific jurisdiction would decide to prosecute her for prostitution given that doing so would require them to either prosecute or decline to prosecute (either would be problematic) the sitting POTUS for the same crime.
I don't think she could be prosecuted. Past the the statute of limitations, I would assume. Just don't know that she would want to be known as a prostitute.

FELLAS! She allegedly was interested in crashing the custard truck with Donald so she could get on his TV show.

No prostitution involved.
That sounds plausible. Is it based on her filing or other statements from her?

Old 9th March 2018, 01:43 PM   #240
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

nah, the charge against Edwards was bs, and all Trump has to say is that he did it to keep the news from his wife, and he is sorry and and their relationship is much stronger and he has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior.
He won't ever do the highlighted. How does that figure into your math?

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics