ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th October 2019, 02:01 PM   #81
wasapi
Philosopher

As I mentioned before, my partner took it several times before he committed suicide. I haven't verified it, but I recall reading that it strips the body of all serotonin?
Old 19th October 2019, 02:26 PM   #82
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
As I mentioned before, my partner took it several times before he committed suicide. I haven't verified it, but I recall reading that it strips the body of all serotonin?
Oh goody. Doctor Feelbad is in. I'm trying even to imagine a scenario in which someone says to the other, "Hey dude, I've got a drug that drops you into a hopeless pit of anhedonic despair! Want a hit?" "Yeah, sounds like a blast!"

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:50 PM   #83
calebprime
moleman

Yeah, really. I'm about as permissive about drugs as it gets etc. but it's just common sense to not take these drugs when you're depressed or really upset about something.

As you say, a lot of these drugs give you a huge temporary increase in serotonin which is followed by a crash -- an obvious bad thing to do if you have serious mood issues.

Now, it's easily possible for a man bent on his own destruction to convince people to look the other way a little bit, etc.

Last edited by calebprime; 19th October 2019 at 02:51 PM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:56 PM   #84
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Oh goody. Doctor Feelbad is in. I'm trying even to imagine a scenario in which someone says to the other, "Hey dude, I've got a drug that drops you into a hopeless pit of anhedonic despair! Want a hit?" "Yeah, sounds like a blast!"
He was given the drug by an underground therapy group. The idea had been to cure him of clinical depression, by guiding him while under the influence, with therapy. (I would not be surprised if these people worked as 'holistic doctors.)

He had been searching for a cure for his depression for 30 years. He was desperate. Hence the DMT, after every other option had been explored. I am not saying this drug, or the so-called therapist, are responsible for his death. No, he would have gotten there regardless. The last 3 months of his life, were spent in preparation for his suicide.

One of my pet peeves is when people say, "Suicide is a permanate solution to a temporary problem." I hate it. There is a hint of levity, but the thing is, it is often a lie.
Old 19th October 2019, 03:11 PM   #85
calebprime
moleman

One of my pet peeves is when people say, "Suicide is a permanate solution to a temporary problem." I hate it. There is a hint of levity, but the thing is, it is often a lie.
agreed
Old 19th October 2019, 07:27 PM   #86
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I hope I did not come across as too flippant there. I agree, suicide is a terrible solution to a terrible problem, the depth of which I find hard to fathom.

I wish I did know some way to address it, but I am pretty sure this wasn't one.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 10:11 PM   #87
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I would love it if someone explained to how it the expression is wrong, expect being incredibly insensitive...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 12:58 AM   #88
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I would love it if someone explained to how it the expression is wrong, expect being incredibly insensitive...
A lot of times people's problems are anything but temporary, for one thing.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 06:48 AM   #89
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Because it is often false, as well as flippant.
Old 21st October 2019, 03:52 AM   #90
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Anyone care to calculate the bandwidth involved? Not me.
I've even rendered a few people down to a paste and still can't shove them into the modem.
Old 21st October 2019, 06:13 PM   #91
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Anyone care to calculate the bandwidth involved? Not me.
I've been thinking, but I may be wrong. If Heisenberg's uncertainty principle says you can't know the position and velocity of a particle at the same time, then you simply can't identically copy a person. I imagine you would have to know both the exact location and velocity of all those electrons jumping synapses in the brain.
Matthew Ellard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 06:59 PM   #92
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Because it is often false, as well as flippant.
I would say suicide is a permanent solution to an untreated or not successfully treated problem.
Old 21st October 2019, 07:03 PM   #93
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I've been thinking, but I may be wrong. If Heisenberg's uncertainty principle says you can't know the position and velocity of a particle at the same time, then you simply can't identically copy a person. I imagine you would have to know both the exact location and velocity of all those electrons jumping synapses in the brain.
I think you're right. You'd have to know both location and velocity to recreate the atoms.
Old 21st October 2019, 11:09 PM   #94
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

That's why the Star Trek technobabble providers put in the bit about transporters being equipped with "Heisenberg compensators". No, really.
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:44 AM   #95
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Really? I thought that "Heisenberg compensator" referred to the payment of royalties to the estate of Professor Heisenberg for using his principle to make the transporters work correctly.

But now I am uncertain of that idea.
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:28 AM   #96
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Really? I thought that "Heisenberg compensator" referred to the payment of royalties to the estate of Professor Heisenberg for using his principle to make the transporters work correctly.

But now I am uncertain of that idea.
Just open the box and look inside.
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:33 PM   #97
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
That's why the Star Trek technobabble providers put in the bit about transporters being equipped with "Heisenberg compensators". No, really.
Thank you. I didn't know that.

I remember from the original series that the technobabble included "inertial dampeners" and my father had to explain to me what inertia was and why a fast accelerating space ship would crush all the crew.

It is easy to knock early Star Trek but it did get kids thinking.
Matthew Ellard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:03 PM   #98
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Inertial dampeners make inertia moist.

Inertial dampers reduce inertia.

Are you sure your father meant dampeners?
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:56 PM   #99
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Inertial dampeners make inertia moist.

Inertial dampers reduce inertia.

Are you sure your father meant dampeners?
Well spotted. I made a mistake. If it were inertial dampeners the crew would be soaked every time they accelerated.
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:11 PM   #100
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

I imagine you would have to know both the exact location and velocity of all those electrons jumping synapses in the brain.
No, you just have to preserve the bulk electrochemical states of the synapses.

But not exactly. Provided the copy's behavior is similar enough to fool us into believing it is the original (which was destroyed during the 'transfer') nobody will care. After all, regular transport doesn't preserve the brain state exactly, so why should teleportation have to?
Old 25th October 2019, 02:12 AM   #101
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Regular transport isn't trying to duplicate a person.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 03:16 PM   #102
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
No, you just have to preserve the bulk electrochemical states of the synapses.

But not exactly. Provided the copy's behavior is similar enough to fool us into believing it is the original (which was destroyed during the 'transfer') nobody will care. After all, regular transport doesn't preserve the brain state exactly, so why should teleportation have to?

Regular transport is great and I have heard Japan boasts one of the most impressive systems in the World. Somewhat irregular in many other places in the World however much to the frustration of travellers.
Old 11th November 2019, 07:12 AM   #103
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Is the Unobserved Quantum Realm ..consciousness that we are all connected to? And DMT temporarily disconnects that link?
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 08:45 AM   #104
pittsburghjoe
Suspended

Have we tried giving DMT to Coma patients?
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 12:51 PM   #105
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
I can only imagine the issues regarding consent and how tangled the legal and ethics questions arising. However, you do pose an interesting question.
Old 11th November 2019, 06:30 PM   #106
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
How about deaf dumb and blind boys, like the movie Tommy?

Tommy featuring Tina Turner The Acid Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rJGX8uqoL8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acid queen.jpg (37.3 KB, 1 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal