ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 events , center for inquiry , cfi , CSIcon , CSIcon 2020

Old 18th May 2020, 01:40 PM   #1
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

CSICon 15-18 October 2020

Hi everyone,
CSICon is five months away and, while nothing is certain, I'm putting out a call for volunteers to help. Tentative volunteers, of course, since CFI hasn't even updated the web site for 2020 yet.

We get invited to the volunteer and staff dinner the Wednesday before CSICon, get free admission to the Saturday night party, and get a free t-shirt. If you're randomly chosen to check tickets at one of the workshops on Thursday, you get to attend it for free also. We take about four hours of your time and _never_ during something you paid for. When the speakers start, you're sitting in the audience.

Last year two volunteers, Kyle and Susan, IIRC, were checking badges before Banachek's show when Banachek asked them if they wanted to be part of the show. They agreed and got to have their minds "read" during the show. It may not happen again, but you never know what might happen when you are visible and approachable.

CFI's board will meet in early June to decide. If you're interested please email volunteering@csiconference.org .
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:17 PM   #2
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

If CSICon is to take place, I would be happy to volunteer, when I can.

However, I also have plans to introduce a Table of Scientific Curiosities at the event, with Ray Hall, and I might end up spending a lot of my time manning it.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 05:50 PM   #3
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Thanks Wowbagger!

You know my policy: I work around your schedule.
Old 6th June 2020, 08:38 PM   #4
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
If CSICon is to take place, I would be happy to volunteer, when I can.

However, I also have plans to introduce a Table of Scientific Curiosities at the event, with Ray Hall, and I might end up spending a lot of my time manning it.
I plan on introducing people to the bar. I will spend a lot of time manning it.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2020, 09:00 PM   #5
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

My TAM/CSICON roommate tells me that it might have been cancelled. His evidence is the Wikipedia page showing it as "Cancelled due to Covid-19", and a message he got from Jeanine DeNoma, president of Oregonians for Science and Reason claiming it was cancelled.

I decided to e-mail Barry Karr about that to confirm. I will let y'all know what he says.

Either way, it looks like I won't be able to see Cirque du Soleil's R.U.N. The show has already closed permanently.

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2020, 10:42 AM   #6
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Well, Barry Karr confirmed that CSICON 2020 has been cancelled. So much for a "year of hindsight", eh?

Well, I hope to see everyone at my Table of Scientific Curiosities in the year 2021!

Old 12th June 2020, 10:59 AM   #7
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Sadly, this is correct. It's on CSICon's Facebook page as well. :-(

For all the past volunteers who know her: Pat is retiring and this October would have been her chance to thank you all one last time, and to say goodbye.

In 2021 we'll be back at the Flamingo with the very, very long hallway.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events