IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th December 2020, 06:16 AM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

A Lbrarianís Investigation into the Science and History of Books Bound in Human Skin.

Dark Archives: Come for the floating goat balls, stay for the fascinating science
Explore the macabre history of "anthropodermic bibliopegy": books bound in human skin

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...ating-science/

Last edited by Steve001; 29th December 2020 at 06:21 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 06:42 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

not as many as I hoped for
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:03 AM   #3
Mojo
Mostly harmless

One of them came up in a thread here a few years back:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=115864

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 03:44 PM   #4
catsmate
No longer the 1

No, there are relatively few, though there are a few in the hands of private collectors; I handled one such book once, years ago when I was part of a team cataloguing an old library.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:46 AM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Why does this story make me thing of H.P. Lovecraft?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:49 AM   #6
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Why does this story make me thing of H.P. Lovecraft?
Thought you were always a thing of H.P. Lovecraft.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:56 AM   #7
rockinkt
Master Poster

"Book him, Danno" takes on an entirely new meaning.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 1st January 2021 at 03:57 AM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology