IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old 8th January 2021, 09:06 PM   #1001
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Seems like yesterday.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:25 PM   #1002
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Exactly four years ago today michaelsuede posted this:

It look like the timeline was a little off.

Well, clearly Mills didn't want the Trump administration to take credit for the greatest invention in the history of history itself, so Mills, the Great Patriot that he is, delayed the roll-out until after Trump was out of office.

It was a sacrifice, but it was one Mills was willing to take as long as investments kept coming in.
Old 9th January 2021, 06:12 AM   #1003
The Moog
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Exactly four years ago today michaelsuede posted this:

It look like the timeline was a little off.
That article he wrote and linked is still up, and he is still updating it for some reason.
The Moog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 12:44 PM   #1004
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

New video of boiling water:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th January 2021, 12:48 PM   #1005
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
That article he wrote and linked is still up, and he is still updating it for some reason.
And yet he can't find time to be a man and make good on a simple, well documented wager.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:52 PM   #1006
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
New video of boiling water:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I wouldn't trust that to make my tea.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:53 PM   #1007
HappySkeptic99
Scholar

These "boiling water" videos are probably an attempt to stave off an investor revolt.

My guess is that Mills and a few hand-picked cronies control the board. There is nothing the investors can do.

If Mills ever goes public, he is going to face his Elizabeth Holmes moment. Good look on that investment, everyone. If you are lucky, the boiling water will convince some sucker to take the shares off your hands for a discount.
HappySkeptic99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 03:11 AM   #1008
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

There is apparently going to be an off-site public demonstration some time between the 25th January and the 5th of February. What form exactly that will take is as yet unknown, although it will apparently be live streamed. The rumours are that there will be a small, invited audience.

In other words, something for the believers to point at to say "see", but which will likely actually be at its core just another video of boiling water.
Old 16th January 2021, 08:58 AM   #1009
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The rumours are that there will be a small, invited audience.
I read that as "a small, invented audience" at first.

On reflection that somehow seems to fit better.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 09:03 AM   #1010
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Shall we send them some tea bags?
Old 16th January 2021, 09:46 AM   #1011
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

In other words, something for the believers to point at to say "see", but which will likely actually be at its core just another video of boiling water.
I wonder how much their investors are paying attention to them. Anyone actually paying attention is probably getting fed up with BLP's oxymoronic "onsite field tests". So this will just be an "offsite field test" that won't be in the field.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 09:52 AM   #1012
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah they have newspeak down pat.
Old 16th January 2021, 04:25 PM   #1013
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I wonder how much their investors are paying attention to them. Anyone actually paying attention is probably getting fed up with BLP's oxymoronic "onsite field tests". So this will just be an "offsite field test" that won't be in the field.
I remember someone a year or more ago saying that some investors were getting antsy. OTOH, there are a few investors who post over at reddit and they seem to lap everything up and go down the "just spend 5 minutes talking to Randy and you'll know he's telling the truth" route. Which I tend to take to mean "he's comes across as cleverer than I am, therefore he must be a genius", rather than "perhaps this nonsense he's spewing is actually nonsense".

Certainly, I've seen video of him being interviewed and he doesn't come across to me as either particularly intelligent or particularly trustworthy. But then I suppose I have preconceptions about him going in.

But judge for yourselves. Here's a news segment from 3 years ago in which he's interviewed. To me he comes across as someone reciting patter he doesn't believe in. But perhaps I'm wrong:

I AGREE
Old 16th January 2021, 04:31 PM   #1014
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Can you be sure the investors at reddit are what they claim to be?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 01:43 AM   #1015
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Can you be sure the investors at reddit are what they claim to be?
You can't be sure that anybody is what they claim to be on the internet. But I see no particular reason to suppose that the people on reddit who shill for Mills and claim to have invested money in the company are lying about that. We know that such people exist after all, and it's not exactly an extraordinary claim.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:28 AM   #1016
Mike!

You can't be sure that anybody is what they claim to be on the internet. But I see no particular reason to suppose that the people on reddit who shill for Mills and claim to have invested money in the company are lying about that. We know that such people exist after all, and it's not exactly an extraordinary claim.
I'd think the fact that they aren't ashamed to admit it speaks volumes all by itself.

"Sure, I've sunk $X into a bottomless pit, but I'm sure one day it will not only fill, but overflow right into my pocket!", is somehow easier than conceding defeat and kissing your cold hard cash goodbye.

Last edited by Mike!; 19th January 2021 at 08:31 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:58 AM   #1017
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

But I see no particular reason to suppose that the people on reddit who shill for Mills and claim to have invested money in the company are lying about that.
You're joking right? You haven't noticed that this company's major product is lies? I see many more reasons to lie than to tell the truth actually.

We know that such people exist after all, and it's not exactly an extraordinary claim.
When did these people show up?

It is a bit of an extraordinary claim, unless BLP has arranged for current investors to trade shares there are very very few investors and the known ones have a lot of better things to do. It would be interesting to know if BLP shares are being traded in some way now. Last time I checked the inability to do that seemed to be a major thorn in Mills side.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:57 PM   #1018
marting
Master Poster

You're joking right? You haven't noticed that this company's major product is lies? I see many more reasons to lie than to tell the truth actually.

When did these people show up?

It is a bit of an extraordinary claim, unless BLP has arranged for current investors to trade shares there are very very few investors and the known ones have a lot of better things to do. It would be interesting to know if BLP shares are being traded in some way now. Last time I checked the inability to do that seemed to be a major thorn in Mills side.
Shares in "private" corporations can usually be bought and sold but with restrictions because the information needed for informed investing isn't publicly available. You have to be wealthy (accredited investor) and hence assumed to be able to do your own due diligence or meet some other exemption to be able to buy/sell shares from other shareholders. And the corporation is very limited in how they can offer to sell shares. Corporations that get too many shareholders may be forced to "go public" which is rather expensive. So they often impose their own restrictions on selling private shares to prevent this.
Old 19th January 2021, 01:14 PM   #1019
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Shares in "private" corporations can usually be bought and sold but with restrictions because the information needed for informed investing isn't publicly available. You have to be wealthy (accredited investor) and hence assumed to be able to do your own due diligence or meet some other exemption to be able to buy/sell shares from other shareholders. And the corporation is very limited in how they can offer to sell shares. Corporations that get too many shareholders may be forced to "go public" which is rather expensive. So they often impose their own restrictions on selling private shares to prevent this.
Right. Do you have information on Brilliant Light Power?

ETA: I've come across some evidence that BLP may be trading on EquityZen but don't want to sign up there to find out for sure.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 19th January 2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 19th January 2021, 01:30 PM   #1020
marting
Master Poster

Do you have information on Brilliant Light Power?
Nope, since I have zero interest in getting any of their shares.
Old 19th January 2021, 01:38 PM   #1021
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, since I have zero interest in getting any of their shares.
Okay. This is a thread about Brilliant Light Power. I'm not interested in getting any of their shares either and most anyone who has posted in this thread for the past year won't be either. The concern is whether BLP has succeeded in making it easier for their current investors to unload their shares, presumably as a way to give those investors an alternative way out besides lawsuits.
Old 19th January 2021, 02:15 PM   #1022
marting
Master Poster

Here's a history of the exempt SEC filings they've made. Last entry was just over two years ago.

https://sec.report/CIK/0001035531
Old 19th January 2021, 06:18 PM   #1023
Mike!

Here's a history of the exempt SEC filings they've made. Last entry was just over two years ago.

https://sec.report/CIK/0001035531
I'm wondering if I'm reading that right? It looks like they valued/printed up $25,000,000 worth of BLP shares, and they've sold roughly $18,000,000 worth to date. That's a lot of jack to put into a crusty tub of boiling water, but what do I know?
Old 19th January 2021, 06:22 PM   #1024
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I'm wondering if I'm reading that right? It looks like they valued/printed up $25,000,000 worth of BLP shares, and they've sold roughly $18,000,000 worth to date. That's a lot of jack to put into a crusty tub of boiling water, but what do I know?
Are you referring to just their last offering? I think you've read that right. But that's just their last offering. If you'll read further there were others. $60 million for an approximate total valuation of $12 million last I heard.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 19th January 2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #1025
marting
Master Poster

Yep. Looks like they intended to sell $25M of shares. As of the date of the amended statement they were looking for new money with a 40k min investment each. Consistent with keeping the total shareholder count below 500.

Interesting that no amended statements since. Might have been getting more difficult to take in more investors.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:34 PM   #1026
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Yep. Looks like they intended to sell $25M of shares. As of the date of the amended statement they were looking for new money with a 40k min investment each. Consistent with keeping the total shareholder count below 500.

Interesting that no amended statements since. Might have been getting more difficult to take in more investors.
I was under the impression that last block went to one investor but I'm not sure I have a reliable source for this. Note that there were only 45 prior investors at the time of that statement.

Two new board members at the time of that statement. https://brilliantlightpower.com/management/

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 19th January 2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:17 PM   #1027
marting
Master Poster

I was under the impression that last block went to one investor but I'm not sure I have a reliable source for this. Note that there were only 45 prior investors at the time of that statement.

Two new board members at the time of that statement. https://brilliantlightpower.com/management/
Could be. Does look like they've raised 60M ish over the last two decades. Likely but not certain that the price per share increased along the way. Can't tell from the filings but that would be the usual pattern. Would be interesting to see the ownership distribution but that's not part of SEC filings from private offerings.

There may well be state filings. Most states have their own requirements. These fall under so called "Blue Sky" laws.
Old 20th January 2021, 01:47 AM   #1028
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

What's your suggestion? That they're shills paid to post on a small subreddit by a man who closed down the official BLP forum? Or that they're cosplaying as investors because they wish they were?

Quote:
It is a bit of an extraordinary claim, unless BLP has arranged for current investors to trade shares there are very very few investors and the known ones have a lot of better things to do.
What makes you say they have better things to do? Are you calling posting on a forum about BLP is such a waste of time that nobody who has a financial stake would do it? Because I can point to some pretty compelling evidence that people without a financial stake do it.
Old 28th January 2021, 04:21 AM   #1029
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

There is apparently going to be an off-site public demonstration some time between the 25th January and the 5th of February. What form exactly that will take is as yet unknown, although it will apparently be live streamed. The rumours are that there will be a small, invited audience.

Any sign of this yet?
Old 28th January 2021, 06:09 AM   #1030
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Any sign of this yet?
My sources tell me it will take place in a small town in Pennsylvania on February 2.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 09:12 PM   #1031
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
My sources tell me it will take place in a small town in Pennsylvania on February 2.
Which one? Bird-in-Hand, Climax, Hazard, Jugtown, Intercourse, Noodle Doosie, Paradise, Puseyville, Punxsutawney, or Rough and Ready?

(based on a Google for <funny town names in Pennsylvania>)
Old 28th January 2021, 09:27 PM   #1032
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

How did your search miss Blue Ball?
Old 28th January 2021, 09:28 PM   #1033
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Which one? Bird-in-Hand, Climax, Hazard, Jugtown, Intercourse, Noodle Doosie, Paradise, Puseyville, Punxsutawney, or Rough and Ready?

You didn't include Blue Balls* (near Intercourse), but Punxsutawney was the one I had in mind.

(I may have been thinking more in terms of an appropriate QAnon event, but hydrinos have as much to do with making boiling water for tea in New Jersey as they do with a ground hog being forcibly removed from his comfy cage for a photo op. So it seemed to fit.)

* - Ninjaed!

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost

Last edited by jsfisher; 28th January 2021 at 09:30 PM.
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 10:56 PM   #1034
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

If they don't make it in Paradise, they can keep going to Desire, and if that doesn't pan out, they'll end up in Panic.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #1035
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
If they don't make it in Paradise, they can keep going to Desire, and if that doesn't pan out, they'll end up in Panic.
OMG finally found it. I lost track of it when Mr Peabody's coal train hauled it away! Never thought they took it to Pennsylvania!

I AGREE
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2021, 08:01 PM   #1036
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
OMG finally found it. I lost track of it when Mr Peabody's coal train hauled it away! Never thought they took it to Pennsylvania!

I AGREE
Oh, a hydrino train could haul it back in ten, fifteen seconds flat, you betcha!
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 01:52 AM   #1037
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

According to reddit the public demo will be Feb 4th, 9AM, 12AM, 3PM - whatever that means in weird US time.
Old 31st January 2021, 01:56 AM   #1038
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

According to reddit the public demo will be Feb 4th, 9AM, 12AM, 3PM - whatever that means in weird US time.
Are you sure that those aren’t the time for tea breaks? I hear they will be showcasing a new kettle.
Old 31st January 2021, 08:09 AM   #1039
Mike!

12AM is generally viewed as Midnight, not Midday, so it's even weirder than that.
Old 31st January 2021, 08:37 AM   #1040
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

12AM is generally viewed as Midnight, not Midday, so it's even weirder than that.
Also one wonders why it takes 2hrs of recovery time between demonstrations? That's figuring on an hour or less time for the demo. Anything more would get a bit obtrusive. Even then probably only half that time or less would be actual run time. Heck, I can demo my furnace continually over a period of time, just by raising and lowering the temperature setting to get it to go on and off or just use the interlock switch.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology