IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags animal research , monkeys

Old 13th January 2021, 08:50 PM   #1
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Clever Monkeys

Nice phone: Bali’s thieving monkeys can spot high-value items to ransom

Quote:
Study finds macaques go for tourists’ electronics and wallets over empty bags and then maximise their profit

At the Uluwatu temple in Bali, monkeys mean business. The long-tailed macaques who roam the ancient site are infamous for brazenly robbing unsuspecting tourists and clinging on to their possessions until food is offered as ransom payment.

Researchers have found they are also skilled at judging which items their victims value the most and using this information to maximise their profit.

Shrewd macaques prefer to target items that humans are most likely to exchange for food, such as electronics, rather than objects that tourists care less about, such as hairpins or empty camera bags, said Dr Jean-Baptiste Leca, an associate professor in the psychology department at the University of Lethbridge in Canada and lead author of the study.

After spending more than 273 days filming interactions between the animals and temple visitors, researchers found that the macaques would demand better rewards – such as more food – for higher-valued items.

Bargaining between a monkey robber, tourist and a temple staff member quite often lasted several minutes. The longest wait before an item was returned was 25 minutes, including 17 minutes of negotiation. For lower-valued items, the monkeys were more likely to conclude successful bartering sessions by accepting a lesser reward.
This seems to me to be quite sophisticated behaviour. Not being very good at searching such things I was unable to find the paper this article cites, even searching the lead author's name in Google Scholar. Can anyone do better than me?
Old 13th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #2
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

This link work?

https://scholar.google.com/citations...C%26tzom%3D420

Social influence on the expression of robbing and bartering behaviours in Balinese long-tailed macaques

Authors
Fany Brotcorne, Anna Holzner, Lucía Jorge-Sales, Noëlle Gunst, Alain Hambuckers, I Nengah Wandia, Jean-Baptiste Leca
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:15 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
This link work?

https://scholar.google.com/citations...C%26tzom%3D420

Social influence on the expression of robbing and bartering behaviours in Balinese long-tailed macaques

Authors
Fany Brotcorne, Anna Holzner, Lucía Jorge-Sales, Noëlle Gunst, Alain Hambuckers, I Nengah Wandia, Jean-Baptiste Leca
Yes it does. Thanks. It's behind a paywall, but I can read the abstract at least.

ETA: It doesn't appear to be the same article. This describes the social influence on the RB behaviour, but the abstract doesn't mention the value of the stolen items. Is this perhaps a case of a journalist noticing a minor point in the paper, that the paper wasn't actually about, and publishing as though it is the most important point?

Last edited by arthwollipot; 13th January 2021 at 09:17 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:18 PM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

This might be interesting too:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rstb.2019.0677

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 13th January 2021 at 09:20 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:30 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This one goes into the value-based bartering more. I think this may be the one cited by the Guardian.

But the value-based bartering was "Prediction 2b" in the paper. There was a lot more to it than that. This is definitely cherry-picking by the paper.

ETA: take that back. It was the basis of the conclusion.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 13th January 2021 at 09:34 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:32 PM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Here's the Conclusion:

Quote:
Token-robbing and token/reward-bartering are cognitively challenging tasks for the Uluwatu macaques that revealed unprecedented economic decision-making processes (i.e. valued-based token selection and payoff maximization) in a large monkey population living in an anthropogenically impacted habitat. This spontaneous, population-specific, prevalent, cross-generational, learned and socially influenced practice may be the first example of a culturally maintained token economy in free-ranging animals. The present naturalistic research setting represents a unique opportunity to study field economics and explore macroeconomic phenomena in non-human primates in environmental conditions that are more externally and ecologically valid than those provided by the traditional token exchange paradigm. Further experimental research on the Uluwatu macaques should make future cross-species comparisons of economic decision-making and symbolic tool use more relevant from an evolutionary perspective and may ultimately lead to a better understanding of the origins of autonomous monetary systems in humans [29].
Fascinating.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:25 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is incredible!

It might be to be an adaptation after the lockdowns everywhere meant their tourist feeding them dried up, except it looks like it started years before.

ETA: it's easy to see how this evolved. Macaque steals tourist item, tourist tries to lure them back with food.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th January 2021 at 12:03 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:34 AM   #8
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I'm skeptical just because it's so tempting to believe at face value (the paper).
But they've got 5-6 months to get some more data. "Cheeky monkeys" eh? Good on them.
What I do know when we return, regarding the many once populated "wild animal attraction" plazas etc. ... we're ******.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:47 AM   #9
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

So what is their preferred high-valued food payment? In case you really need your phone back fast ...
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:53 AM   #10
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
So what is their preferred high-valued food payment? In case you really need your phone back fast ...
I suspect "bananas"... is a trap.

Hell, what do ya got? Huh?
What's in the bag?
Hey! Don't run away!
What's in the purse? WHAT'S IN THE PURSE???

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 08:24 AM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The clever monkeys steal the food. Stealing valuable objects is useless for a tourist that has no food to give.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:26 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Nice phone: Bali’s thieving monkeys can spot high-value items to ransom

This seems to me to be quite sophisticated behaviour. Not being very good at searching such things I was unable to find the paper this article cites, even searching the lead author's name in Google Scholar. Can anyone do better than me?
Trial and error plus tradition equal sophistication.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 06:03 PM   #13
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The clever monkeys steal the food. Stealing valuable objects is useless for a tourist that has no food to give.
It appears that the temple staff have the food.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:41 AM   #14
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It appears that the temple staff have the food.
So it's a monkey-human conspiracy?
Old 16th January 2021, 04:46 AM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is incredible!

It might be to be an adaptation after the lockdowns everywhere meant their tourist feeding them dried up, except it looks like it started years before.

ETA: it's easy to see how this evolved. Macaque steals tourist item, tourist tries to lure them back with food.
Some years ago the park in Merrion Square in Dublin had a squirre, a grey with a white patch on his tail, quite distinctive, who learned to pose for tourist photos.
He'd perch on a large chunk of granite, near the Wilde statue, and stand still there in exchange for food.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 04:34 PM   #16
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I like that better..

Squirrels are cuter than macaques..
Old 21st January 2021, 11:59 AM   #17
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I like that better..

Squirrels are cuter than macaques..
But carry leprosy!

https://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/could-squi...prosy-outbreak
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:45 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I remember on my first trip to the US, my hosts took me to La Brea Tarpits and I saw my first squirrel. I approached to take a photo and hcmom said "careful, it might have rabies".

You can bet I stopped in my tracks.
Old 21st January 2021, 02:57 PM   #19
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I remember on my first trip to the US, my hosts took me to La Brea Tarpits and I saw my first squirrel. I approached to take a photo and hcmom said "careful, it might have rabies".

You can bet I stopped in my tracks.
I don't think a human has ever gotten rabies from a squirrel and squirrels themselves hardly every acquire it.
Old 21st January 2021, 02:58 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't think a human has ever gotten rabies from a squirrel and squirrels themselves hardly every acquire it.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was mostly a joke, but you can damn well bet I stopped in my tracks.
Old 21st January 2021, 03:49 PM   #21
steenkh
Philosopher

When I was in New York for the first time, I was also hand feeding the squirrels in Central Park, but the locals warned us of rabies. It seems to be a persistent claim.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 04:18 PM   #22
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
When I was in New York for the first time, I was also hand feeding the squirrels in Central Park, but the locals warned us of rabies. It seems to be a persistent claim.
Just to make sure I have my fact straight:

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/other.html

Quote:
Small rodents like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs including rabbits and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans.
Old 21st January 2021, 04:31 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Good to know. Through strict quarantine procedures, we have managed not to have rabies in Australia. We do have a bat lyssavirus, which is related, but no actual rabies.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:19 AM   #24
Chanakya

This thread reminded me of that old Buddhist story about the monkey trap.

When I first heard that story, it sounded to me like a made-up story -- although I don't know that, and it could be true for all I know.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:36 AM   #25
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I thought that was just armadillolololos.

Old 22nd January 2021, 10:22 AM   #26
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post

When I first heard that story, it sounded to me like a made-up story -- although I don't know that, and it could be true for all I know.
Finally, something that might bring the Mythbusters back.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:44 PM   #27
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Apologies if I've shared it before, but I was robbed by a squirrel gang once...

Outside the Admiralty museum in London, I stopped because a squirrel had scampered across the park, stopped in front of me and started pawing at the air, while standing on its back legs...

I crouched down to see what it was doing, and there was a sudden commotion in my pocket. Before I'd realised what was happening, the pair of squirrels had raced across the park and scampered up a tree with my bag of trail mix.

Cheeky little grey bastards.

There were a lot of squirrels scampering around that park, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have been the only person that was robbed in this fashion.

Old 23rd January 2021, 12:47 PM   #28
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Apologies if I've shared it before, but I was robbed by a squirrel gang once...

Outside the Admiralty museum in London, I stopped because a squirrel had scampered across the park, stopped in front of me and started pawing at the air, while standing on its back legs...

I crouched down to see what it was doing, and there was a sudden commotion in my pocket. Before I'd realised what was happening, the pair of squirrels had raced across the park and scampered up a tree with my bag of trail mix.

Cheeky little grey bastards.

There were a lot of squirrels scampering around that park, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have been the only person that was robbed in this fashion.

Pretty sure no one has ever been mugged by a koala, of course grey squirrels are all immigrants that is why Brexit was essential!

(Except of course the thieving immigrant grey squirrels pushing the law abiding if lepromatous native British red squirrel out of hearth and home (or at least tree and drey) are American immigrants. Nothing to do with Brexit, but we are obliged to mention Brexit in all threads.)

Of course they have nothing on Kea for criminality.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...h-thieving-kea
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:01 PM   #29
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Pretty sure no one has ever been mugged by a koala, of course grey squirrels are all immigrants that is why Brexit was essential!
<snip>
You must never have heard about the drop bears in Australia. They need to be avoided. Here is a YouTube explaining the dangers to migrents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kev9VNGCLdc
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:14 PM   #30
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Imagine my surprise as a youth seeing signs posted in the Angeles and Sierra National forests (CA, USA) warning of Bubonic plague. They are still there.

Basically "Stay away from the cute creatures..."
Old 28th January 2021, 11:41 AM   #31
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is incredible!

... and the macaque prefers food, can't carry both, so it leaves the 'stolen' item.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #32
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post

As I kid I heard the same story about trapping racoons.
Old 28th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #33
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Some years ago the park in Merrion Square in Dublin had a squirre, a grey with a white patch on his tail, quite distinctive, who learned to pose for tourist photos.
He'd perch on a large chunk of granite, near the Wilde statue, and stand still there in exchange for food.
Some squirrels seem to have something akin to 'punishment for breach of contract'.
30 years ago or so, if you squatted beneath a certain tree in my local park with nuts in your hand, squirrels would come down and pick them out of your hand. I wanted to demonstrate that to a friend of mine, but had forgotten to bring nuts, so I squatted beneath the tree, pretending to have food. Soon a squirrel came down, looked at my empty hand, grabbed hold of my middle finger, bit it (not hard) and fled back up the tree again.
Never got rabies!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 06:56 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Imagine my surprise as a youth seeing signs posted in the Angeles and Sierra National forests (CA, USA) warning of Bubonic plague. They are still there.

Basically "Stay away from the cute creatures..."
Stay away from ground squirrels and jack rabbits. They have infected fleas. I saw a case in a human when I lived in Colorado.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th January 2021 at 06:57 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology