IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gina Raimondo , Rhode Island issues , Rhode Island politics

Old 25th June 2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Arcade22
Philosopher

Rhode Island to change it's formal name

Quote:
Rhode Island governor Gina Raimondo has signed an executive order announcing the state would move forward with changing its official name due to its ties to American slavery.

The state’s official name, “The State of*Rhode Island*and Providence Plantations,” appears on state documents. But the order would shorten it to just “Rhode Island”.

Harold Metts, Rhode Island’s only Black state senator, introduced the 2020 bill. He said: “Whatever the meaning of the term ‘plantations’ in the context of Rhode Island’s history, it carries a horrific connotation when considering the [country’s] tragic and racist history.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...vernor-slavery

Given the ignorance some people demonstrate it's perhaps unexpected that the article does not mention the actual original meaning of "plantation": it's an older English word for colony and had nothing to do with racism or slavery.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 07:37 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm just sooooooooooooo sure that "The number of people who will now be upset about this, will call it virtue signaling, and start hand wringing over which names we have to change next" will not vastly outnumber the number of people who know that "Rhode Island" wasn't the state's full official name a week ago.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 25th June 2020 at 07:39 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 07:38 AM   #3
3point14
Pi

Here's the Woodland Trust talkiong about plantations.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/tre...s/plantations/

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post

Given the ignorance some people demonstrate it's perhaps unexpected that the article does not mention the actual original meaning of "plantation": it's an older English word for colony and had nothing to do with racism or slavery.
And gay can mean glad, carefree, wanton or homosexual.

What matters is how the word is actually used and understood today - not the words history. And I suggest in countries like Jamaica and the USA - to give 2 examples - the word is inextricably tied into slavery.
Old 25th June 2020, 07:47 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Outside of the "Commonwealth" term a few states use instead of "state" Rhode Island does seem to be the only state I can find firm reference to having a longer "official" name or any other weird variation on how they are named.

But this is like something I mentioned the previously, the "Well technically a group of (so and so animals) is called a..." problem.

"A group of (Animals) is called a..."

No. No it isn't. No group of specific animals is called an anything.

If you see a bunch of one type of animal you are going to refer to using the same dozen or so at most handful of specific generic terms; herd, flock, pack, school, swarm, etc.

Nobody ever casually and organically in real life human conversations refer to a shrewdness of apes or a shadow of jaguars or a parliament of owls or a conspiracy of lemurs.

These terms literally only exist inside trivia lists about what groups of animals are called. A few outlier cases; like say "a murder of crows" do occasionally pop up but that's only because the term itself is unique and/or bizarre enough to lend itself to puns and wordplay, I still wouldn't call that organic uses of the terms in their so called proper usage.

And it's not a case of these being the "technical" terms not used by laypeople. There are 649 articles containing the word "Ape" in the archives of the Etymology and Zoology Journal. The world "Shrewdness" doesn't appear once.

Same thing here. No "Rhode Island" is not technically known as anything other than Rhode Island if the other name only comes up in the topic about it having another name.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 25th June 2020 at 07:49 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 07:55 AM   #6
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Outside of the "Commonwealth" term a few states use instead of "state" Rhode Island does seem to be the only state I can find firm reference to having a longer "official" name or any other weird variation on how they are named.

But this is like something I mentioned the previously, the "Well technically a group of (so and so animals) is called a..." problem.

"A group of (Animals) is called a..."

No. No it isn't. No group of specific animals is called an anything.

If you see a bunch of one type of animal you are going to refer to using the same dozen or so at most handful of specific generic terms; herd, flock, pack, school, swarm, etc.

Nobody ever casually and organically in real life human conversations refer to a shrewdness of apes or a shadow of jaguars or a parliament of owls or a conspiracy of lemurs.

These terms literally only exist inside trivia lists about what groups of animals are called. A few outlier cases; like say "a murder of crows" do occasionally pop up but that's only because the term itself is unique and/or bizarre enough to lend itself to puns and wordplay, I still wouldn't call that organic uses of the terms in their so called proper usage.

And it's not a case of these being the "technical" terms not used by laypeople. There are 649 articles containing the word "Ape" in the archives of the Etymology and Zoology Journal. The world "Shrewdness" doesn't appear once.
This is off topic, but I find this odd. Of course these are the names of groups of stuff. By the same power that dictates what every other word means - people agree that's that what they mean.

To pretend that it's not the case just because it's not 'official' in some way I find odd.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 08:03 AM   #7
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

My guess is the name change has been advocated for a long time, just because no one ever calls the state by that name. It's more one of those trivia questions, an historical curiosity that the smallest state has the longest name. In actual practice, it's always just "Rhode Island", which is kind of interesting because it isn't on an Island, and no one knows the origin of the name.

However, I do find it a bit irritating that the name change is prompted by people who don't understand the meaning of words, but figure there must be something wrong with it because elsewhere that word was used to mean something entirely different. "I don't understand what you said, but it sounds bad!" is an unfortunate way to shape public policy.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 08:04 AM   #8
3point14
Pi

It's niggardly all over again.

Big Bad Bob and Snoop attending get it:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by 3point14; 25th June 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 25th June 2020, 08:09 AM   #9
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yawn.

Personally I have a bigger issue with "Providence" than Plantation.
Old 25th June 2020, 08:11 AM   #10
Armitage72
Philosopher

It honestly sounds like something that might be dragged out by a Freeman On the Land. "This document says that I owe taxes to Rhode Island, but there's no such state. It's "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations". Unless I get a document from them, I'm ignoring these demands."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 08:14 AM   #11
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I have a bigger issue with the use of the apostrophe in "it's". It should be "its", although given the ignorance some people demonstrate I suppose it's not unexpected.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 08:35 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

What matters is how the word is actually used and understood today - not the words history. And I suggest in countries like Jamaica and the USA - to give 2 examples - the word is inextricably tied into slavery.
You've convinced me, Rhode Island shall be renamed to Gay Island.
Old 25th June 2020, 08:37 AM   #13
d4m10n
Philosopher

Oddly enough, Rhode Island "played a leading role in the transatlantic slave trade."

https://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Joh...ibSlavery.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by d4m10n; 25th June 2020 at 08:41 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 08:44 AM   #14
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Rhodey McRhodeface
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 08:52 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Rhodey McRhodeface
Too late, now that I've suggested it, not naming it Gay Island is homophobic.
Old 25th June 2020, 09:15 AM   #16
shemp

It's not an island. A more accurate name would be "South Massachusetts." Also, there's already a Gay Island in Maine.

https://mapcarta.com/22275946

I would propose instead "Gay Underbelly of Massachusetts."

Last edited by shemp; 25th June 2020 at 09:20 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 09:29 AM   #17
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Plantation in America has a deeply unfortunate nuance which isn't actually in its literal meaning, but it's what everyone calls to mind when you mention the word.

It's not all roses over the pond either as the plantation of Ulster in the early 1600s is the policy which parcelled out land there to British Protestants and led us eventually to the troubles of Northern Ireland.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 09:51 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's not an island. A more accurate name would be "South Massachusetts." Also, there's already a Gay Island in Maine.

On my map all that's blank space with the words "Here be Yankees".
Old 25th June 2020, 10:14 AM   #19
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just sooooooooooooo sure that "The number of people who will now be upset about this, will call it virtue signaling, and start hand wringing over which names we have to change next" will not vastly outnumber the number of people who know that "Rhode Island" wasn't the state's full official name a week ago.
I actually did know that was the name, though had pretty well forgotten about it until I saw the post. I am firmly in the "don't give a **** either way" camp on this one.

ETA: On further consideration, count me in the "for" camp for reasons of brevity, and making the official name match what everyone calls the state anyway, as much as for whatever negative connotation the word "plantation" may have. I would guess that, never in the 300+ year history of the state and its predecessor colony, has anybody used its full name outside of official documents or speeches. It's a name the cries out to be shortened.

Last edited by CORed; 25th June 2020 at 10:26 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 10:30 AM   #20
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC, there is an actual Rhode Island somewhere of the coast that's the reason that "Rhode Island" is part of the former official name. Besides, it's not South Massachusetts; it's East Connecticut.

Last edited by CORed; 25th June 2020 at 10:31 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 10:31 AM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

New England is one state. If you all have to share one Football team, you're one state.
Old 25th June 2020, 10:34 AM   #22
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It was a Jeopardy final answer many years ago--what state had the longest name. They'll have to be sure to pull that episode from any streaming service.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 10:43 AM   #23
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It was a Jeopardy final answer many years ago--what state had the longest name. They'll have to be sure to pull that episode from any streaming service.
Smallest state, biggest name. It seems a certain symmetry has been lost.
Old 25th June 2020, 10:44 AM   #24
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Plantation in America has a deeply unfortunate nuance which isn't actually in its literal meaning, but it's what everyone calls to mind when you mention the word.

It's not all roses over the pond either as the plantation of Ulster in the early 1600s is the policy which parcelled out land there to British Protestants and led us eventually to the troubles of Northern Ireland.
Yup: both the Strange Woman across the table and I have Lowland Scots Protestant transplanted to Ulster ancestry. In both cases some wandered back to to North East England - I kinda assume mine had something to do with the Marquess of Londonderry being a major land owner over there and in Co Durham.

Many words are freighted with meaning...

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 25th June 2020 at 10:46 AM.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 10:57 AM   #25
shemp

New England is one state. If you all have to share one Football team, you're one state.
On behalf of all New Hampshiremen, I shall have to call you out on the Field of Honor! Super Soakers loaded with New Hampshire Maple Syrup at ten paces!
Old 25th June 2020, 11:14 AM   #26
Mojo
Mostly harmless

If Oriel College is getting rid of Rhodes, getting rid of a single Rhode shouldn’t be too much to ask for.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 11:26 AM   #27
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

The state had a referendum on changing the name ten years ago. It was decisively voted down.

This time around, the "hey we already voted on that, no second bite of the apple" segment (voting no) will far outnumber the people who actively do (voting yes) or don't (voting no) want the change.
Old 25th June 2020, 11:49 AM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I have a bigger issue with the use of the apostrophe in "it's". It should be "its", although given the ignorance some people demonstrate I suppose it's not unexpected.
Much as I disagree often with Arcade22, he's from Sweden. I assume English is his second language, or at a minimum, one of two languages he speaks.

And it's an easy typo.

Your criticism is flawed.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 03:33 PM   #29
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

I guess anyone called Gaylord should be encouraged change their name then, since people might take offence...

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 03:49 PM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
My guess is the name change has been advocated for a long time, just because no one ever calls the state by that name. It's more one of those trivia questions, an historical curiosity that the smallest state has the longest name. In actual practice, it's always just "Rhode Island", which is kind of interesting because it isn't on an Island, and no one knows the origin of the name.

However, I do find it a bit irritating that the name change is prompted by people who don't understand the meaning of words, but figure there must be something wrong with it because elsewhere that word was used to mean something entirely different. "I don't understand what you said, but it sounds bad!" is an unfortunate way to shape public policy.
It's not a twerking of Isle of Rhodes? Just kind of assumed so

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 03:53 PM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It might be from "roads" in the oldtimey nautical sense, as RI was a big shipping area. Like "Hampton Roads" in Virginia.
Old 25th June 2020, 04:05 PM   #32
mumblethrax
Species traitor

My favorite thing to do as a teenager was to take people to the Cornell Plantations, walk them around, take in the beauty of the place, and then say "It's great, isn't it?"
"Yeah, it really is."
(Tossing a cigarette to the ground, extinguishing it with a heel, and grimacing) "Slaves built this."

Anyway, I like to think I'm more more mature now.

I like to think that.

I guess they changed the name to the Cornell Botanic Gardens a few years back. The word has some bad connotations, for some reason.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 04:08 PM   #33
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I guess anyone called Gaylord should be encouraged change their name then, since people might take offence...
If they were born in the last 50-60 years or so, they should be encouraged to change their name because their parents were dumb jerks.

Names go in and out of favor all the time. "Gaylord" has been out of favor for a very long time.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 04:09 PM   #34
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
My favorite thing to do as a teenager was to take people to the Cornell Plantations, walk them around, take in the beauty of the place, and then say "It's great, isn't it?"
"Yeah, it really is."
(Tossing a cigarette to the ground, extinguishing it with a heel, and grimacing) "Slaves built this."

Anyway, I like to think I'm more more mature now.
I certainly hope you at least use ashtrays.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 04:13 PM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
"Yeah, it really is."
In all likelihood, slaves also built the tobacco company that made that cigarette.
Old 25th June 2020, 04:16 PM   #36
mumblethrax
Species traitor

In all likelihood, slaves also built the tobacco company that made that cigarette.
I don't smoke, don't know what you're talking about.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 04:59 PM   #37
shemp

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Actually, in Ancient Greek the word "Rhodes" or "Ρόδος" meant "to twerk" or to "shake your booty." So Rhode Island should be renamed "Twerk Island" or "Booty Island."
Old 25th June 2020, 05:00 PM   #38
shemp

Anyone named "Gaylord" should change their name to "Weedlord."
Old 25th June 2020, 05:14 PM   #39
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, in Ancient Greek the word "Rhodes" or "Ρόδος" meant "to twerk" or to "shake your booty." So Rhode Island should be renamed "Twerk Island" or "Booty Island."
Motion to translatet 'Island' as the Phonecian 'Licious'? Always wanted a State of Booty Licious

Old 25th June 2020, 06:01 PM   #40
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

If we’re going to change the name anyway...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3229EBDA-B523-43F1-A57E-30CA5504C5D2.jpeg (60.3 KB, 6 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics