IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Denmark issues , mink

Old 5th November 2020, 11:59 AM   #1
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Covid 19 mutation in mink

It seems mink are very susceptible to Covid 19 as they have structures similar to humans in their breathing tract.

Denmark har the world's largest production of mink furs. ... That is, till now.

A mutation, called "cluster 5" has shown up in Covid 19 among mink, and it has been transferred to humans in, currently known, 12 cases. This mutation has reduced reaction the the vaccines and other treatments currently under development (it is not otherwise more virulent or contagious than other versions).

To counter this, the Danish government has resolved to have the entire population if mink in the country put down, essentially obliterating a whole business for an unknown time (perhaps forever).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...ation/12851638

Hans
Old 5th November 2020, 12:22 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Can the pelts still be harvested after the cull?
Old 5th November 2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Oh, "mink". I thought Minsk. There is no mutation in Minsk, in fact there is party:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 5th November 2020, 01:09 PM   #4
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Can the pelts still be harvested after the cull?
That is unsure. They are not going to do it.

It is a disaster for the people who are not only loosing their business but often their life investment. They can be financially compensated, at least to a degree.

However, the world can go on without mink fur.

Hans
Old 5th November 2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Arcade22
Philosopher

Meanwhile Danish pigs are living bio reactors churning out antibiotic resistant bacteria for the world to experience.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 04:26 AM   #6
Planigale
Illuminator

For those unfamiliar this is what they look like.
https://beano.fandom.com/wiki/Minnie...innie_Minx.jpg
Definite trouble, the UK borders are closed, but the worry is too late.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 04:42 AM   #7
Planigale
Illuminator

More seriously mustelids such as weasels and stoats (chorus from the children; how do you tell the difference), are susceptible to respiratory infections and ferrets in particular are commonly used for research on human respiratory infections including covid-19. The worry would be if minks escaped and it got into the feral mustelid population. It may already be circulating in feral Danes. I think the Germans need to make a stand at the Kiel canal and just abandon everything North, the Swedes need to close that Bridge.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 08:05 AM   #8
dann
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of links to posts in the thread The One Covid-19 Science and Medicine Thread Part 2:
Nov. 4: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post13281495
Nov. 4: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post13281517
Nov. 5: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post13282242
Nov. 5: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post13282274
Nov. 5: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post13282307
Nov. 6: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post13283885
Nov: 6: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post13284201

From the thread about the Swedish strategy:
Nov. 6: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post13283891
Nov. 7 (Breaking!):
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Danish press briefing at 16:00 CET (in half an hour).
The regional European director of WHO, the Belgian physician Hans Kluge, will be there. The themes are Covid-19, restrictions og mink mutations. (I really love that word!)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 08:12 AM   #9
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
More seriously mustelids such as weasels and stoats (chorus from the children; how do you tell the difference), are susceptible to respiratory infections and ferrets in particular are commonly used for research on human respiratory infections including covid-19. The worry would be if minks escaped and it got into the feral mustelid population. It may already be circulating in feral Danes. I think the Germans need to make a stand at the Kiel canal and just abandon everything North, the Swedes need to close that Bridge.

The Swedes may need to do more than that:

15 million Danish mink will be culled and all of Northern Jutland has been placed on lockdown after the discovery of a new corona mutation.
Now all mink at infected farms in Sweden should be culled too, according to Björn Olsen, professor of infectious diseases.
– In this situation, health is more important than business, he says.
The professor about the new mutation: Cull the Swedish mink (Aftonbladet.se, Nov. 6, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 7th November 2020 at 08:13 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 08:52 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

About 1600 years too late but we are now stopping the Danes entering the UK!
Old 7th November 2020, 10:23 AM   #11
dann
Penultimate Amazing

... except in limited circumstances such as for work or for education.
Another exception is if we already live there. It's the so-called Danelaw, I think.
We just can't bring our pet mink, unless it's an emotional support mink.

Last edited by dann; 7th November 2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 7th November 2020, 10:35 AM   #12
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

And this is one of the strong reasons why elimination of the virus should have been pursued much more vigorously. At the beginning of the year there was no animal reservoir. Now there might be about to be one.
Old 7th November 2020, 11:14 AM   #13
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
It is a disaster for the people who are not only loosing their business but often their life investment.
I have to say, I'd never seen how mink were farmed, and the conditions make battery hen cages look sane.

If this all does turn out to be a major problem, I'm going to convert to Gaianism, because it would be the most unlikely poetic justice possible if somehow our absurd factory farming methods - for something of no nutritional value! - causes us to shorten our stay on the planet.

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Meanwhile Danish pigs are living bio reactors churning out antibiotic resistant bacteria for the world to experience.
The bacteria is far less of a problem that influenza.

The impact on health of the 1918 'flu pandemic was exponentially worse than we're seeing with Covid, with a death rate ten times that of Covid.

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
And this is one of the strong reasons why elimination of the virus should have been pursued much more vigorously. At the beginning of the year there was no animal reservoir. Now there might be about to be one.
I'll try to find my post from very early on where I noted one of the best reasons to stop the virus as quickly as possible.

Simple maths. Whatever the chances of a dangerous mutation are, the more people who get infected, the better the chances of it happening. Now we know that animals are capable of acting as that potentially devastating reservoir enabling mutations, the closer we are to the tipping point of 1:1, where a dangerous mutation isn't just likely, but inevitable.

The consensus - such as it is - on the mink issue is that it shouldn't be a problem.

Which doesn't mean the next one won't. (Ferrets? Lots of people have those disgusting weasels for pets. Rats? Good luck trying to cull them, and somewhat appropriate source.)

But it's ok - we won't learn the lesson, just as most places haven't learned anything so far.
Old 7th November 2020, 11:39 AM   #14
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Bats? Pangolins, maybe?
The problem is that many countries may not do as many gene-sequencing analyses as Denmark, so they may not even discover occurring mutations until it turns out that the vaccines don't work. And some countries may prefer not to reveal similar mutations if they occur.

Denmark has an interest in securing its substantial export of agricultural products and has therefore been open about both the mutated virus, the consequences it might have, and the measures taken to eradicate it. The mink farmers are obviously upset about culling all mink in the whole country when only some regions are affected, but Hans Kluge applauded the better-safe-than-sorry decision.

Other countries (or regions) may consider that it will serve their interests better to keep things like this a secret. In Sweden, they don't even seem to consider culling the mink, not even in the many farms that are already infected:
Quote:
Sweden finds coronavirus in several mink farms

Swedish chief veterinarian Håkon Henrikson seems to suggest business as usual: Go ahead and make fur coats of the infected mink!
Quote:
- Det er sandsynligvis kort tid, at virusset kan overleve på ydersiden af pelsen, så jeg vil mene, at der allerede efter en uge ikke er noget tilbage, siger chefveterinæren.
- The virus probably can't survive for long on the outside of the fur, so I think that nothing will be left after a week, the chief veterinarian says.

[sarcasm]Anyway, herd immunity will no doubt solve the problem sooner or later, and it's not as if you can tell mink to wear face masks and practice social distancing. [/sarcasm]
Old 7th November 2020, 11:53 AM   #15
dann
Penultimate Amazing

From the press briefing earlier today. Most of it was in Danish, but Hans Kluge, WHO Regional Director for Europe, can be heard from 43:00:
Press briefing about coronavirus cluster 5 (DR.dk, Nov. 7, 2020)
Old 8th November 2020, 12:41 AM   #16
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think it was too late as soon as it escaped from China. You only needed one infected human to touch a mink or other similar animal and it has spread to the animal. Now I suspect the virus will never be eliminated. Even if a vaccine is developed that is 100% effective for life, the virus will hide in reserve in wild animals. It will then infect people who have not been vaccinated. And there will always be heaps of those.
Old 8th November 2020, 03:41 PM   #17
Rolfe

I don't think this had to happen, and I don't think it's inevitable even now. (This was my actual job for the latter part of my career.)
Old 8th November 2020, 05:07 PM   #18
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I don't think this had to happen, and I don't think it's inevitable even now. (This was my actual job for the latter part of my career.)
I'd like to know on what basis you think that, because as far as I'm aware we've never had a pandemic coronavirus like this in the past, and this particular virus seems to infect an extraordinary number of animals. Cats and dogs get it, but they seem to be a poor reservoir, because there aren't more than 1 or 2 cases where the pet is believed to have infected a human.

Now we know mustelids get it, and are giving it to humans, so the chances of it surviving in a wild population must be very high if the virus gets into one, and since it can be transmitted by fomite, the chances of wild animals infecting humans is also pretty high.

There are probably 100 million+ people with Covid right now, passing it on in all directions. Seems to me the odds are overwhelmingly that if there wasn't an animal reservoir for this disease, there will be now.
Old 10th November 2020, 06:08 AM   #19
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Posts about the virus mutation in minks in Denmark in the Sweden thread:
Nov. 10:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post13289043
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post13289111
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post13289173
Old 10th November 2020, 01:16 PM   #20
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Frank Andersen opdagede selv, at dyrene havde symptomer, da han skulle i gang med at aflive sine mink op til weekenden. Han informerede derfor Fødevarestyrelsen, der tog prøver af 36 døde og levende dyr. Ud af dem viste det sig, at 26 var smittet med coronavirus, selv om der altså havde været smitte blandt dyrene før.
Minkfarm smittet med coronavirus for anden gang (TV2.dk, Nov. 10, 2020)
Frank Andersen discovered that the animals had symptoms when he was going to cull his mink before the weekend, so he informed the Directory of Foodstuffs, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Fishing, who took samples from the 36 dead as well as living animals. 26 of them turned out to be infected with coronavirus even though the animals had been infected before.
Mink farm infected with coronavirus a second time

The farmer had hoped that his mink would be immune after the infection in August, so he would be able to start all over with immune animals. It remains to be seen if the just didn't get any immunity, or if it is a new mutation.
According to the experts, this example stresses the importance of culling all mink.
Old 10th November 2020, 05:14 PM   #21
Rolfe

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd like to know on what basis you think that, because as far as I'm aware we've never had a pandemic coronavirus like this in the past, and this particular virus seems to infect an extraordinary number of animals. Cats and dogs get it, but they seem to be a poor reservoir, because there aren't more than 1 or 2 cases where the pet is believed to have infected a human.

Now we know mustelids get it, and are giving it to humans, so the chances of it surviving in a wild population must be very high if the virus gets into one, and since it can be transmitted by fomite, the chances of wild animals infecting humans is also pretty high.

There are probably 100 million+ people with Covid right now, passing it on in all directions. Seems to me the odds are overwhelmingly that if there wasn't an animal reservoir for this disease, there will be now.

I mean that the possibility should have been recognised and have been a major reason for not letting the virus run free the way so many countries thought they could handle it in the first instance and some still think that. Even places that are locking down are doing this to ease pressure on hospitals or even save human lives, very commendable, but the urgency to eliminate the virus before something like this happened wasn't there and it should have been. The point being this couldn't happen in NZ or the other countries that have eliminated community transmission.

I think there's still time to stomp on this strain if they take it seriously enough but on past performance I'm not convinced they will.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:40 PM   #22
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Nu er to tredjedele af alle de danske mink slået ihjel - advarer om lugtgener ved to massegrave (TV2.dk, Nov. 10, 2020)
Now two thirds of all the Danish mink have been culled - warnings about bad smells at two mass graves
With video.
Old 11th November 2020, 01:52 AM   #23
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Actually, there have been suggestions recently that the 1889-90 “Russian flu” pandemic was caused by a coronavirus, and cows may have been a reservoir for it. In another article, it was suggested that this coronavirus is one of the four or five that circulate causing colds now, since most people are exposed to it as children.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/202.../long-n10.html
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 02:09 AM   #24
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Actually, there have been suggestions recently that the 1889-90 “Russian flu” pandemic was caused by a coronavirus, and cows may have been a reservoir for it. In another article, it was suggested that this coronavirus is one of the four or five that circulate causing colds now, since most people are exposed to it as children.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/202.../long-n10.html
Fascinating stuff. Could well be right, but I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

Given we've had SARS (bats & civets), MERS (camels) and now Covid (mink &....), all with animal reservoirs, it's not much of a stretch to think cows could have caused it. We know for sure cows carry a couple of terrible zoonoses.
Old 11th November 2020, 07:05 AM   #25
dann
Penultimate Amazing

188 ud af 243 smittede minkbesætninger er aflivet (DR.dk, Nov. 11, 2020 - 14:20)
All mink at 188 of 243 infected mink farms in Denmark have been culled at this point.
Old 11th November 2020, 01:01 PM   #26
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

188 ud af 243 smittede minkbesætninger er aflivet (DR.dk, Nov. 11, 2020 - 14:20)
All mink at 188 of 243 infected mink farms in Denmark have been culled at this point.
Well, this is incredibly hard on the people who have their life-work destroyed, but as a world, we can live without mink-coats.

Hans
Old 12th November 2020, 07:16 AM   #27
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately, as you may have seen already, we won't have to live without mink coats. The mink industry is simply moving to China. (DR.dk, Nov. 12, 2020)
But I guess we can rest assured that the Chinese won't let any coronavirus mutations evolve and become zoonotic ...
Old 13th November 2020, 05:09 AM   #28
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Corona Round-Up: Vaccines prove successful against cluster-5 mutation in rabbits (CPHPost.dk, Nov. 12, 2020)
+
The top virus expert in the US, Anthony Fauci, has said that he sees little chance of the mink coronavirus mutation impacting the effectiveness of any COVID-19 vaccine.
Old 14th November 2020, 03:35 AM   #29
dann
Penultimate Amazing

From the Sweden thread:
The whole world is shocked by the Danish mink with the mutated coronavirus. Is there a risk that a new and uncontrollable infection is spreading? In Sweden, three more farms have been infected and the mink question is now creating a rift in the government.
The fear of mutated virus in mink is growing in Sweden. Professor: ”A new pandemic in the middle of the pandemic cannot be allowed to happen.”
The fear of mutated mink virus is growing in Sverige
Old 17th November 2020, 04:20 PM   #30
Louden Wilde
Thinker

Well, this is incredibly hard on the people who have their life-work destroyed, but as a world, we can live without mink-coats.

Hans
Agreed. I will say that at least in the past the bodies used to get used in anatomy classes- This is what I used in my comparative vertebrate anatomy class - and it was handy in that you didn't have to skin them to get started on looking a muscular anatomy. Interestingly, we also used mink skeletons as our mammalian example, with the exception of the skull. If you do a google image search on mink skulls, you'll see why...
Louden Wilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 04:07 AM   #31
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Further complications:
Quote:
Pelseri-formand: - 80 testet positive
Svend Pedersen er formand for Sydvestjysk Pelscenter, der har 180 ansatte.
Han bekræfter, at en række af hans medarbejdere er testet positiv.
Han stiller sig dog skeptisk over for testresultaterne.
- 80 er testet positiv, men heriblandt er der også folk, der aldrig er blevet testet. Jeg har kendskab til mindst en, hvor det er tilfældet, siger Svend Pedersen.
Ifølge ham er testresultaterne ikke til at regne med, og derfor er der blevet foretaget omtests af flere af de ansatte.
Pelscenter Vestjylland beliggende i Lemvig bekræfter over for TV 2, at 25 ud af 50 ansatte her er smittet med coronavirus.
200 ansatte smittet med corona på minkpelserier på en uge (TV2.dk, Nov. 17, 2020)
Furrier chief: - 80 tested positive
Svend Pedersen I the head of Southwest Jutland Furrier Center, which has a staff of 180.
However, he doubts the results.
- 80 have been tested positive, but among those there are alos people who were never tested. I know of at least one where that is the case, says Svend Pedersen.
According to him, the test results are not reliable, so they have retested several of the employees.
The West Jutland Furrier Center in Lemvig confirms to TV2 that 25 of 50 employees are infected with coronavirus.
200 employees infected with corona in a week

Something about this story doesn't sound right to me.
I suspect that some mink farmers have tried to avoid the culling and destruction of their diseased mink and instead have taken them to the furrier centers where the workers have then become infected.

By the way, the whole mink trade seems to have been in financial troubles even before the pandemic:
Minkbranchen er i knæ - men det var den også inden coronaepidemien (DR.dk, Nov. 18, 2020)
Old 18th November 2020, 05:47 AM   #32
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Alle covid-19 smittede minkfarme er nu aflivet (TV2.dk, Nov. 18, 2020 – 13:49)
The mink at all Covid-19 infected farms have now been culled
284 mink farms
Old 18th November 2020, 06:18 AM   #33
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The minister of food has resigned in the case of the coronavirus infected mink:
Blå blok er ikke tilfreds - kræver Mette Frederiksens afgang (TV2.dk, Nov. 18, 2020)
The blue parties are not satisfied - demand that Mette Frederiksen resigns
In Denmark, the blue parties are conservatives and right-wing parties
Old 18th November 2020, 08:12 AM   #34
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Louden Wilde View Post
Agreed. I will say that at least in the past the bodies used to get used in anatomy classes- This is what I used in my comparative vertebrate anatomy class - and it was handy in that you didn't have to skin them to get started on looking a muscular anatomy. Interestingly, we also used mink skeletons as our mammalian example, with the exception of the skull. If you do a google image search on mink skulls, you'll see why...
Uh? They look exactly as I had expected from a small and rather vicious predator.

Hans
Old 18th November 2020, 08:19 AM   #35
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

*snip*
By the way, the whole mink trade seems to have been in financial troubles even before the pandemic:
Minkbranchen er i knæ - men det var den også inden coronaepidemien (DR.dk, Nov. 18, 2020)
To elaborate a bit on this: From being a booming industry during China's economical boom some years ago (mink fur was all the rage among newly-rich Chinese), it has suffered a steady decline in market prices, but the tide had just seemed to start changing when this happened.

Rarely has the caption about the light at the end of the tunnel turning out to be an oncoming train been more apt.

This situation makes figuring out the compensations to the mink farmers rather complicated.

Hans
Old 18th November 2020, 08:27 AM   #36
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

The minister of food has resigned in the case of the coronavirus infected mink:
Blå blok er ikke tilfreds - kræver Mette Frederiksens afgang (TV2.dk, Nov. 18, 2020)
The blue parties are not satisfied - demand that Mette Frederiksen resigns
In Denmark, the blue parties are conservatives and right-wing parties
The trouble is that the order to cull was given prematurely. "Somebody" forgot to see if the legislation was in place. Seems the minister of food has been appointed to take the rap for the team, but of course part of the current opposition love to point out that it happened on the prime minister's watch.

My guess is that she'll survive, though. ... If only because the current situation is not one people are lining up to get in front of.

Also, few politicians really contest that the culling was necessary, so the bitching is about procedures. And there's a limit to how many political points you can score on that.

Hans
Old 18th November 2020, 08:33 AM   #37
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Uh? They look exactly as I had expected from a small and rather vicious predator.

Me neither. I also tried googling mink skulls but found nothing mink skulls being unusual.
Old 18th November 2020, 04:58 PM   #38
Louden Wilde
Thinker

Me neither. I also tried googling mink skulls but found nothing mink skulls being unusual.
It's subtle if you're not used to looking at skulls. Look for the sutures - say the ones that separate the frontal and parietal bones

The bones are fused so completely you can't see the sutures- hence not a good teaching tool

Last edited by Louden Wilde; 18th November 2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typos
Louden Wilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 07:28 AM   #39
steenkh
Philosopher

Also, few politicians really contest that the culling was necessary, so the bitching is about procedures. And there's a limit to how many political points you can score on that.
I think there is a lot of political gold that can be mined here. The would-be opposition leader is trying to make it a case of tyrannical dictatorship vs. benign leadership, which he will represent if the voters vote him in at the next election.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2020, 07:31 AM   #40
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Louden Wilde View Post
It's subtle if you're not used to looking at skulls. Look for the sutures - say the ones that separate the frontal and parietal bones
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5b37ba5e9e.jpg

The bones are fused so completely you can't see the sutures- hence not a good teaching tool
Ah, OK.

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology