ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:42 AM   #81
Henri McPhee
Banned

I still think Microsoft could do more with their updates to prevent a Nigerian prince form being able to defraud people out of their life savings and having their money ending up in Mumbai. The internet is supposed to be an information highway not a fraud highway.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 03:43 AM   #82
fagin
Philosopher

Even the might of Microsoft can't protect you from gross stupidity.

ps. Mumbai is not actually in Nigeria.
Old 13th October 2018, 01:39 PM   #83
Henri McPhee
Banned

Wait till you get defrauded and then see how you feel about it then, and about the Microsoft security measures and updates. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me but according to the news hundreds of millions of pounds have been defrauded in the UK just last year.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 03:11 PM   #84
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I still think Microsoft could do more with their updates to prevent a Nigerian prince form being able to defraud people out of their life savings and having their money ending up in Mumbai. The internet is supposed to be an information highway not a fraud highway.
But that's not a problem for the operating system to resolve. For example, suppose you use a third party email client such as Thunderbird. If I make a TLS connection to the mail server, Individual emails are encrypted from the time they leave the mail server until they're received by Thunderbird, decrypted, and written to the disc. Unless you want to grant Windows (and, by extension, Microsoft) the right to read every email that is written to disc—provided the OS can determine the content is email—there's not much Windows can do about the message.

It's possible to read encrypted content between the server and the email client program using man-in-the-middle software, but in my opinion that's not for the operating system to do. Again, I don't want Microsoft reading my emails.

Then there's web-based email, which is extremely popular these days. In this scenario, the bits are encrypted in the HTML that comes to your computer as part of a series of IP packets. Windows has no clue as to what all is in those bits. Do they constitute a video or MP3 stream? A page served up from the ISF or a news outlet? The operating system—be it Windows, MacOS, Linux, or whatever—just doesn't know (and, more importantly, can't know) what's in the data stream, so it can't protect you from a Nigerian 419 scam.

"Those that would give up a little bit of liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." Unfortunately, when it comes to computers far too may people are choosing convenience over security. Some of the convenience comes in the form of not learning how computers work beyond "I press the power button and it turns on." That works for simple things like light bulbs, but a computer is way more complicated than that.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 11:54 AM   #85
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Wait till you get defrauded and then see how you feel about it then, and about the Microsoft security measures and updates. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me but according to the news hundreds of millions of pounds have been defrauded in the UK just last year.
Here's a hint: If somebody tells you they want to share $40,000,000 worth of gold with you, they're probably lying. Especially if they want you to send them $5,000 for some reason first.

Seriously, Henri, scam emails are a problem, but it's not realistic to expect Microsoft (or any other software provider) to fix that problem.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 11:55 AM   #86
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Practically all of the major "E-mail scams" (The Nigerian Price, the Dying Relative, the IRS Threat) existed (and still do) as fax and physical mail scams.
Old 15th October 2018, 03:37 PM   #87
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Practically all of the major "E-mail scams" (The Nigerian Price, the Dying Relative, the IRS Threat) existed (and still do) as fax and physical mail scams.
Some were (and still are) done by phone too. I remember getting a call telling me that I'd won some lottery for which I never bought a ticket. Usually those involve you having to pay some kind of fee before you can collect your non-existent winnings.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet