ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 06:32 AM   #1321
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I know liberals who signed up for tickets. I am not going to assert that some specific percentage were people who were people planning on showing up with plans to not cheer. But I am going to say that number is not zero.
Old Today, 06:45 AM   #1322
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

I've worked event production enough to know that online RSVP means 20% of the number at best.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:01 AM   #1323
Bob001
Philosopher

More Trump lies:
Quote:
President Trump is not very precise with numbers, but this is getting ridiculous. He keeps citing U.S. jobs supposedly at risk if arms sales are cut off with Saudi Arabia after the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Not only has the purported number of jobs from a highly tentative arms deal with the Saudis kept climbing day after day, but in the course of few minutes, Trump appeared to go from 600,000 jobs to 1 million.

To be fair, he appeared to be saying that all of the deals he struck in Saudi Arabia — which he valued at $450 billion — would create 1 million jobs. But that’s just as fanciful. (We had earlier documented that the commercial agreements announced after his 2017 trip to the kingdom were mostly smoke and mirrors, with many of the purported deals aimed at creating jobs in Saudi Arabia, not the United States.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.5c67744c9d21
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #1324
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
More Trump lies:
Well, he spoke didn't he?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:28 AM   #1325
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I've worked event production enough to know that online RSVP means 20% of the number at best.

Personally, it reminds me of when Scientologists would go out to book stores and each buy a dozen copies of one of L. Ron Hubbard's books, to artificially inflate his sales figures and his position on the best seller lists.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #1326
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Trump supports the Saudis who enjoy cutting people into pieces.

We never Trumpers oppose dismembering people. We must be crazy.
Also a fake news reporter of the failing Washington Post. More reason to celebrate his death. I think we need to send Huckabee sanders some bone saws to bring to her press conferences if she ever has one again. That should send the administrations message of the proper role of the press loudly and clearly. He was an enemy of the american people, so why the big hubbub about this little bit of an interrogation going to far? I am sure the CIA director and the new supreme court judge understands that this happens now and then.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #1327
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Both Texas A&M University and University of Texas Austin have stadiums that seat more than 100,000. And there are two or three others than can handle upwards of 90,000, including Rice University. JFK gave his we-choose-to-go-to-the-moon speech there (but it was nowhere close to full).
Rice Stadium has a rated capacity of 70,000 seats* - Super Bowl VIII was held there- but has been reconfigured to a nominal 47,000 seat capacity, changeable to 59,000 with removal of large decorative covers.

*This was back when the spring intrasquad game used to draw 25,000 people, in the Cotton Bowl days, not the wretched C-USA cellar-dweller present. Fun fact: Rice is still undefeated (3-0) against Alabama.
sts60 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #1328
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
This doesn't surprise me. There's a strong belief in integrity and personal responsibility in the military (not that even the majority live up to those values, but they're more common there than in the general population, I think...and those are a core part of the "warrior mythos" the military embraces). Trump's constant scapegoating, lying, and refusal to take responsibility for his actions would grate against that.
Wouldn't show it by the former military people in the administration. Though I guess one can be for concentration camps and have integrity and personal responsibility. Just like it would never do to prosecute american tortures who were only following orders. That would be right out and unacceptably lacking in integrity and personal responsibility.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #1329
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
There are a lot of Republicans who are sickened by such tactics.
Yea like McCain was bothered by the use of torture, it makes good sound bites and makes you look like you care with out having to do anything about it or pay any cost for opposing it. Really it is slacktivism at its finest.
Old Today, 09:19 AM   #1330
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But is that just to learn new techniques for use on enemy of the state reporters?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics