ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th March 2017, 02:18 PM   #1081
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Well done Nazis! Building bridges by sharing your cultural values. All without violence. See? Free speech can work.
You're going with "hate crime by Nazis", then?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:01 PM   #1082
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You're going with "hate crime by Nazis", then?
Is it better than...wait, which are you going with on this one, "fake news" or "false flag"?

Or does this one not count because other reasons?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:21 PM   #1083
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/...slim-heritage/

Of course they believe that, but then they are probably a little biased. Belief is not evidence.

He could have meant "things are different now" that ISIS has been chopping off heads and stuff. He could have meant a lot of things. Unless he actually said, "Things are different now because Trump is the MAN and you guys are screwed", then there is no evidence that this happened due to Trump being elected.

Then again, this thread is supposed to show a "Massive Wave Of Hate Crime", which means it doesn't necessarily need to be tied to Trump, just white people hating on others.

Proving a massive wave of hate crime should be a lot easier than this.
Hilited:

And he could have meant that things are different now that Gravy Train has added More Meat Flavor to the formula. Or that Donnie and Marie no longer have a TV show. Or "ever since we gave the wimminz the vote".

And this thread cannot show a "massive wave of hate crimes" when so many people are willing to speculate six reasons why the guy who tweeted the strobe to trigger a seizure in someone who said bad things about Trump probably really wasn't a Trump supporter, didn't mean no harm by it, was not really representative of the seamier side of conservatives, was not embiggened by Trump's election and you can't prove he was anti-Semitic,.... etc.... later, rinse, repeat. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/t...rest.html?_r=0

This thread, as I indicated above, is going to be anecdote upon anecdote until we have the FBI data for the periods in question. We just want to see what kind of intellectual pretzels you folks defending the status quo can twist yourselves into.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:26 PM   #1084
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Well done Nazis! Building bridges by sharing your cultural values. All without violence. See? Free speech can work.
Go back! It's a trap!

Ohhhhhh, too late.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:04 AM   #1085
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Hilited:

And he could have meant that things are different now that Gravy Train has added More Meat Flavor to the formula. Or that Donnie and Marie no longer have a TV show. Or "ever since we gave the wimminz the vote".

And this thread cannot show a "massive wave of hate crimes" when so many people are willing to speculate six reasons why the guy who tweeted the strobe to trigger a seizure in someone who said bad things about Trump probably really wasn't a Trump supporter, didn't mean no harm by it, was not really representative of the seamier side of conservatives, was not embiggened by Trump's election and you can't prove he was anti-Semitic,.... etc.... later, rinse, repeat. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/t...rest.html?_r=0

This thread, as I indicated above, is going to be anecdote upon anecdote until we have the FBI data for the periods in question. We just want to see what kind of intellectual pretzels you folks defending the status quo can twist yourselves into.
Next you will be saying that the anti semetic death threats against a reporter for writing a piece that had some facts Milania didn't want to come out says anything about her fans.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...isemitic-abuse

Of course it doesn't, just like her refusal to condemn the threats doesn't say anything about her. I mean if someone was inspired by you to make racist attacks against your enemies in the press why would you want to discourage that?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 06:10 AM   #1086
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Godwin is smiling.
Old 21st March 2017, 08:02 AM   #1087
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Godwin is smiling.
You think he finds it funny that you don't understand what it means "to Godwin" a thread/argument?
Old 21st March 2017, 08:51 AM   #1088
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Is it better than...wait, which are you going with on this one, "fake news" or "false flag"?

Or does this one not count because other reasons?
Whether it counts is my question. For what it's worth, the local authorities seem to treating it as vandalism, not hate crime. But why don't you read the article, and make up your own mind?

As for where I'm going: I would like to know how you think this incident fits into the OP's narrative of closet hate-criminals emboldened by Trump's election to come out and celebrate, and how the details of this incident might inform your interpretation of other reports of similar incidents.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 08:58 AM   #1089
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You think he finds it funny that you don't understand what it means "to Godwin" a thread/argument?
Well Godwins law is that it approaches unity that any internet discussion will involve nazi's over time. The thing is that with Trump this isn't hyperbole as there are plenty of actual Nazi's being very clear and vocal of their support for him.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 09:03 AM   #1090
wareyin
Philosopher

Whether it counts is my question. For what it's worth, the local authorities seem to treating it as vandalism, not hate crime. But why don't you read the article, and make up your own mind?

As for where I'm going: I would like to know how you think this incident fits into the OP's narrative of closet hate-criminals emboldened by Trump's election to come out and celebrate, and how the details of this incident might inform your interpretation of other reports of similar incidents.
Ah, it doesn't count because it's only vandalism. Amazing how few crimes we have when we ignore or discount every example!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 09:20 AM   #1091
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, it doesn't count because it's only vandalism. Amazing how few crimes we have when we ignore or discount every example!
I am neither ignoring nor discounting this example. The local authorities appear to be treating it as vandalism, but that doesn't mean we can't count it as a hate crime for the purposes of this discussion.

Different jurisdictions define "hate crime" differently. Some don't recognize the category at all. It's possible the story is incorrectly reported, and it is being handled as a hate crime after all.

And we can read the story for ourselves, and decide whether *we* will consider it a hate crime. My question is, do you think we should?
Old 21st March 2017, 09:23 AM   #1092
wareyin
Philosopher

I am neither ignoring nor discounting this example. The local authorities appear to be treating it as vandalism, but that doesn't mean we can't count it as a hate crime for the purposes of this discussion.

Different jurisdictions define "hate crime" differently. Some don't recognize the category at all. It's possible the story is incorrectly reported, and it is being handled as a hate crime after all.

And we can read the story for ourselves, and decide whether *we* will consider it a hate crime. My question is, do you think we should?
Well, have you read the story? If so, *do* you consider it a hate crime?
Old 21st March 2017, 09:44 AM   #1093
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, have you read the story? If so, *do* you consider it a hate crime?
I asked first. It seems fair that you should answer my question before I answer yours. Tell me it's too tough for you right now and that you'd like to pass, and I'll go ahead and give you my answer in advance. You can come back and answer my question whenever you feel ready.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:55 AM   #1094
wareyin
Philosopher

I asked first. It seems fair that you should answer my question before I answer yours. Tell me it's too tough for you right now and that you'd like to pass, and I'll go ahead and give you my answer in advance. You can come back and answer my question whenever you feel ready.
You brought up the case, it's only fair that you give your opinion on it before asking others for theirs.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:21 AM   #1095
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Next you will be saying that the anti semetic death threats against a reporter for writing a piece that had some facts Milania didn't want to come out says anything about her fans.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...isemitic-abuse

Of course it doesn't, just like her refusal to condemn the threats doesn't say anything about her. I mean if someone was inspired by you to make racist attacks against your enemies in the press why would you want to discourage that?
What better way to stop pepole messing with you than to make a big deal about how much you are affected when you have no actual ability to stop it.

I honestly don't understand this logic I am seeing so often now "we told the idiots exactly what bothers us, but they still do it! ".

These people are out to effect you, the more they get attention for it the more they will do it. We will never remove ******** from society, we can only control or reactions to them.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:02 AM   #1096
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
What better way to stop pepole messing with you than to make a big deal about how much you are affected when you have no actual ability to stop it.

I honestly don't understand this logic I am seeing so often now "we told the idiots exactly what bothers us, but they still do it! ".

These people are out to effect you, the more they get attention for it the more they will do it. We will never remove ******** from society, we can only control or reactions to them.

You need to start ignoring death threats, that just tells them how to get to you. That is why all of these hate crimes that are based on those need to be ignored. It isn't like issuing death threats is a crime or anything serious.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:09 AM   #1097
Giz
Philosopher

Because some people want to be trolled. They want to be able to point to abuse and say "see how bad we have it!", then these (fantasist) heroes can fight a against a big (fantasy) societal injustice and feel like they're emulating what (real) heroes did in the (real) struggle for civil rights.

Plus, for some SJW's, there's social status in being an out-group (not a 'real' oppressed group mind you, but a comfortable first world kinda semi-out).

And then there are partisan hacks, who use it to grind a political axe.

Pity the poor victims of hate crime, whose problems have been co-opted and taken over by shameless blowhards.
Giz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 01:41 PM   #1098
sadhatter
Philosopher

You need to start ignoring death threats, that just tells them how to get to you. That is why all of these hate crimes that are based on those need to be ignored. It isn't like issuing death threats is a crime or anything serious.
The vast majority, yes should not be mentioned, if they are found to have credibility the police should investigate them but seeing as the vast majority are just odors looking for a reaction, yes we should ignore them.

Jesus man, if one one hundredth of death threats on line were legit,everyone on earth would be dead ten times over.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 05:17 PM   #1099
Noztradamus
Illuminator

nother anti-semitic hate crime o the humanity

http://news10.com/2017/02/10/jewish-...d-on-his-home/
Old 21st March 2017, 05:18 PM   #1100
Noztradamus
Illuminator

how that again?

http://news10.com/2017/03/20/jewish-...-his-own-home/
Old 21st March 2017, 08:27 PM   #1101
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

The vast majority, yes should not be mentioned, if they are found to have credibility the police should investigate them but seeing as the vast majority are just odors looking for a reaction, yes we should ignore them.

Jesus man, if one one hundredth of death threats on line were legit,everyone on earth would be dead ten times over.
Yeah, it's not like people are pulling out guns and knives and shooting or stabbing random people that they think are the wrong religious or ethnic group...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:40 AM   #1102
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Yeah, it's not like people are pulling out guns and knives and shooting or stabbing random people that they think are the wrong religious or ethnic group...
Not at all.

Quote:
The 28-year-old man busted for fatally stabbing a black man in Midtown Tuesday has told cops he came here from Baltimore to kill African-Americans, sources said.

The white supremacist and military veteran from Maryland surrendered to cops just after midnight Wednesday, sources said.

“You need to arrest me. I have the knife in my coat,” the suspect told police officers after marching into the Times Square substation, sources said.

He later told police that he was motivated by rage against black men who get romantically involved with white women, sources said.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:25 AM   #1103
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

That's not what theprestige said.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:38 AM   #1104
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Because a poster (who has found an excuse to dismiss every instance) mentioning an excuse to dismiss this instance shouldn't be taken as that poster using this excuse to dismiss this instance? Well, I'm sure theprestige will be along shortly to clearly state what he thinks, right?
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:19 AM   #1105
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He left Baltimore looking for black people?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:51 PM   #1106
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Because a poster (who has found an excuse to dismiss every instance) mentioning an excuse to dismiss this instance shouldn't be taken as that poster using this excuse to dismiss this instance? Well, I'm sure theprestige will be along shortly to clearly state what he thinks, right?
He didn't mention an excuse to dismiss it. He asked you what your take on that specific situation was.
Old 22nd March 2017, 04:13 PM   #1107
wareyin
Philosopher

He didn't mention an excuse to dismiss it. He asked you what your take on that specific situation was.
'Just vandalism' has already been used in this thread to claim things aren't hate crimes, and thus don't belong in this thread. But, I'm sure this time it is different.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:00 PM   #1108
mgidm86
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Awesome! Another bogus hate crime for the thread! For those who did not read the link, this guy painted swastikas on his own home and called the cops.

Another story:

Quote:
Quoted above:
He later told police that he was motivated by rage against black men who get romantically involved with white women, sources said.
Did he turn racist on November 8th?

How do we separate hate crimes that would have happened anyways regardless of the election results?

I notice the left-leaning news sites have all but ignored the gang rape of a 14 year old girl by 18 and 17 year old "Freshmen", at least one of which is illegal. None of them mentioned it last night on TV that I saw and CNN doesn't even have it on its front page as of now.

Howard County, Maryland ignored this incident too, and went ahead and voted for sanctuary status, which will be vetoed. Where is the sense in this sanctuary city baloney?

I wonder what the girl thinks about that? Sick. Completely idiotic.

Last edited by mgidm86; 22nd March 2017 at 08:04 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:55 PM   #1109
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Awesome! Another bogus hate crime for the thread! For those who did not read the link, this guy painted swastikas on his own home and called the cops.

Another story:

Did he turn racist on November 8th?

How do we separate hate crimes that would have happened anyways regardless of the election results?

I notice the left-leaning news sites have all but ignored the gang rape of a 14 year old girl by 18 and 17 year old "Freshmen", at least one of which is illegal. None of them mentioned it last night on TV that I saw and CNN doesn't even have it on its front page as of now.

Howard County, Maryland ignored this incident too, and went ahead and voted for sanctuary status, which will be vetoed. Where is the sense in this sanctuary city baloney?

I wonder what the girl thinks about that? Sick. Completely idiotic.
Do you have evidence that the rape was a hate crime? Or that someone erroneously called it a hate crime? 'Cuz that's what this thread is about. Or is this just an opportunity to throw some smoke and get off on a pet topic?
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:06 PM   #1110
Noztradamus
Illuminator

What I liked was the link in the previous post where the same mediaocraty swallowed the goy's original claim hook, line, sinker and copy of Angling Times.
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:33 PM   #1111
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

'Just vandalism' has already been used in this thread to claim things aren't hate crimes, and thus don't belong in this thread. But, I'm sure this time it is different.
Have you read the story yet?
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:00 PM   #1112
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Yes. Pathetic.
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:51 PM   #1113
Noztradamus
Illuminator

This (Jan 4) blog infers that was because the local authorities realised it was hoax hate crime

Perhaps we need a ISF poll: Hate, Hoax, or Prank?
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:15 AM   #1114
wareyin
Philosopher

Have you?
Old 23rd March 2017, 03:06 AM   #1115
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

True, he said that it should be dismissed as trolling teens until proven otherwise.
Old 23rd March 2017, 03:13 AM   #1116
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 23rd March 2017, 06:21 AM   #1117
uke2se
Philosopher

Seriously?

Would you ignore someone threatening your life over and over on the internet? Would you be able to just let it go and not bother you? What if the person was threatening a family member of yours? Still no cause for reaction on your part? They are probably just trolling after all.
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:07 AM   #1118
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

True, he said that it should be dismissed as trolling teens until proven otherwise.
I said the opposite. You're thinking of wareyin.
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:23 AM   #1119
wareyin
Philosopher

I said the opposite. You're thinking of wareyin.
Right, I'm sure you'll fool someone with that one.
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:39 AM   #1120
HenryLee
Muse

Quote:
JERUSALEM — The police on Thursday arrested an Israeli teenager who holds American citizenship in connection with scores of threats to Jewish institutions, including dozens of community centers in the United States, law enforcement officials said.

A spokesman for the police here, Micky Rosenfeld, said the suspect, from the Ashkelon area of southern Israel, had also made threats to institutions in Australia and New Zealand, as well as to at least one commercial airline flight, forcing an emergency landing.

“This is the guy we are talking about,” Mr. Rosenfeld said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/u...=tw-share&_r=0
Between this one and the fake-news reporter trying to frame his girlfriend how many of the threats are accounted for now?
HenryLee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events