ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th March 2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

The Ides of Trump postcard event March 15th

https://www.theidesoftrump.com/#stats

Quote:
ON MARCH 15TH, 2017 EACH OF US WILL MAIL THE WHITE HOUSE A POSTCARD THAT PUBLICLY EXPRESSES OUR VOCAL OPPOSITION TO THE NEW PRESIDENT. AND WE, IN VAST NUMBERS, FROM ALL CORNERS OF THE WORLD, WILL OVERWHELM WASHINGTON.

We will show the man, the media, and the politicians how vast our numbers are and we will bury the White House post office in pink slips, all informing the President that he’s fired!

Each of us — every protester from every march, each Congress calling citizen, every boycotter, volunteer, donor, and petition signer — will write a single postcard and put them all in the mail on the same day, March 15th, 2017.

No alternative fact or Russian translation will explain away our record-breaking, officially-verifiable, warehouse-filling flood of fury. Hank Aaron currently holds the record for fan mail, having received 900,000 pieces in a year. We’re setting a new record: over a million pieces in a day.

So sharpen your wit, unsheathe your writing implements, and write from the heart. All of our issues — DAPL, women’s rights, racial discrimination, religious freedom, immigration, economic security, education, the environment, conflicts of interest, the existence of facts — can and should find common cause. That cause is to make it irrefutable that the president’s claim of wide support is a farce.

He may draw a big crowd with empty promises, but the crowd of those that oppose his agenda is exponentially larger. And we will show up to protest, to vote, and to be heard. Again and again and again.
I'm in, sounds like fun.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 09:25 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That is some world-class overblown rhetoric, right there. Clearly the plan is to fight fire with fire.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 09:28 PM   #3
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That is some world-class overblown rhetoric, right there. Clearly the plan is to fight fire with fire.

You sound worried by that.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:37 PM   #4
The Nimble Pianist
Muse

Quote:
THE IDES OF TRUMP 3/15/17
Quote:
THE ONLY RULE IS NO VIOLENCE, THREATS OF VIOLENCE, OR INSINUATIONS OF VIOLENCE. THIS IS ABOUT BEING HEARD, VIA POSTCARDS. WE UNDERSTAND THAT THE IDES OF MARCH HAS A HISTORY, BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE ARE — IN ANY WAY — CALLING FOR HERE.
lol.
The Nimble Pianist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 11:42 PM   #5
Civet
Muse

I get that they're asking people not to suggest violence but we're dealing with an infantile conspiracy theorist with a poor grasp of reality here. I don't want him to be a frightened infantile conspiracy theorist with a poor grasp of reality. Don't want him wishing people into the cornfield.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 11:54 PM   #6
The Nimble Pianist
Muse

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I get that they're asking people not to suggest violence but we're dealing with an infantile conspiracy theorist with a poor grasp of reality here. I don't want him to be a frightened infantile conspiracy theorist with a poor grasp of reality. Don't want him wishing people into the cornfield.
Right!? I mean it's not like the organizers chose the date of one of the most infamous assassinations in history, or have images of the coin minted by the assassin shortly thereafter on multiple places on the website. Only a conspiracy theory prone individual would jump to wild conclusions.
The Nimble Pianist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 12:26 AM   #7
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by The Nimble Pianist View Post
Right!? I mean it's not like the organizers chose the date of one of the most infamous assassinations in history, or have images of the coin minted by the assassin shortly thereafter on multiple places on the website. Only a conspiracy theory prone individual would jump to wild conclusions.
I don't think for a minute that these guys actually want real violence. Much like the Palin example you linked to, they're using provocative imagery to rally people and draw attention. I think it's a terrible idea, but I don't think they're genuinely calling for an assassination. Their website describes some of their follow-up plans and they don't sound the least bit radical.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 01:00 AM   #8
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

How did you feel about all those Tea Party protesters going on about, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of tyrants."?
Old 9th March 2017, 01:03 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You sound worried by that.
I wouldn't be worried about it even if I thought it would actually have the desired effect.

In fact I'm amused by the trumpian language employed in the call to action.

How my written words sound in your head is of course more an expression of inner desire than external reality. The MA discourages speculation about the personal qualities of other members, so I'll leave you to your imaginings.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 01:12 AM   #10
Parsman
Critical Thinker

I'm sorry but I would bet good money that 95% of Americans, heck 95% of people the world over don't know what the Ides of March refers to, and I am probably erring on the side of caution here. So yes, only a better educated conspiracy theorist would go where you are going with this.
Old 9th March 2017, 01:28 AM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
https://www.theidesoftrump.com/#stats

I'm in, sounds like fun.
This won't work. He'll call it fan mail, find a few positive notes and say the rest were from professional protestors. A better plan would to be mail him tinfoil lots and lots of tinfoil hats. Righteous indignation won't do; it's ridicule that damages him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 02:06 AM   #12
Manigoldo
Student

Originally Posted by IdesofTrump
THE ONLY RULE IS NO VIOLENCE, THREATS OF VIOLENCE, OR INSINUATIONS OF VIOLENCE. THIS IS ABOUT BEING HEARD, VIA POSTCARDS. WE UNDERSTAND THAT THE IDES OF MARCH HAS A HISTORY, BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE ARE — IN ANY WAY — CALLING FOR HERE.
Seems cool to me. A very interesting way of expressing public opinion. But what is the chance Trump is going to see even one of these postcards? I'd expect his arriving postage to be rather strictly vetted. But as a publicity stunt and to let others opposing Trump know that they're not alone - can't say that's a bad idea. People need a sense of belonging.
Manigoldo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 06:27 AM   #13
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Send this:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 07:10 AM   #14
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
How did you feel about all those Tea Party protesters going on about, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of tyrants."?
I agree! We have real tyrant in wait in the white house now.
Old 9th March 2017, 07:12 AM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I agree! We have real tyrant in wait in the white house now.
Suddenly the ides of March references take on a more ominous tone.
Old 9th March 2017, 07:23 AM   #16
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
I'm sorry but I would bet good money that 95% of Americans, heck 95% of people the world over don't know what the Ides of March refers to, and I am probably erring on the side of caution here. So yes, only a better educated conspiracy theorist would go where you are going with this.
Pfft... beware the ides of march, my son, the jaws that bite, the claws that catch. beware the jubjub bird and shun the frumious bandersnatch.
Old 9th March 2017, 07:26 AM   #17
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Manigoldo View Post
Seems cool to me. A very interesting way of expressing public opinion. But what is the chance Trump is going to see even one of these postcards? I'd expect his arriving postage to be rather strictly vetted. But as a publicity stunt and to let others opposing Trump know that they're not alone - can't say that's a bad idea. People need a sense of belonging.
And the Post Office can use the money.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

In fact I'm amused by the trumpian language employed in the call to action.
Trumpian language? Far from it. It doesn't contain a high percentage of lies and it has complete sentences.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 08:06 AM   #19
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
And the Post Office can use the money.
I was just about to post, I'm sure the Post Office appreciates the effort.
Old 9th March 2017, 08:09 AM   #20
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Suddenly the ides of March references take on a more ominous tone.

right.
Old 9th March 2017, 09:10 AM   #21
sunmaster14
Philosopher

The anti-Trumpers are going postal apparently.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 09:20 AM   #22
The_Animus
Master Poster

This is Trump. We'll see a stupid tweet about it and they'll all either go straight into an incinerator or combed through to make a list of names and addresses of "political extremists".

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 10:46 AM   #23
imodium
Thinker

I'm guessing people forget what happened on the ides of march?
The conspiracy theory loving president and his fans will put this down as an actual assassination attempt.
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 11:21 AM   #24
Argumemnon
World Maker

Huh. I now have in my head an image of Trump being surrounded by senators wielding knives.

Et tu, Bannon?
Old 9th March 2017, 11:36 AM   #25
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I was just about to post, I'm sure the Post Office appreciates the effort.
Probably they are hoping it doesn't happen, post card and first class rates are so strictly limited by Congress that they usually only break even and sometimes loose money on those items depending on where they pick them up.

To help the USPO we'd need to send parcels where they make a good profit. They are so good at it that all the other major carriers (FEDEX, UPS & DHL) now use them for some portion of their deliveries to save cost.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 11:37 AM   #26
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

I think this is unduly elevating Trump by linking him to a great historic leader.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:06 PM   #27
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

"Et tu, Bannon?"
Old 9th March 2017, 12:20 PM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Postcards rather than letters is a good idea. We can't be certain Trump can actually read, but at least he can look at the pictures.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:21 PM   #29
Distracted1
Graduate Poster

FWIW, I will send one.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:27 PM   #30
C_Felix
Master Poster

Yeah. I don't know how this will bother Mr. Trump.

It'll piss off a few people in the mail room.

Now...if we want to send something to Mr. Trump, it should not just post cards.

Maybe bags of gummy penises?

https://www.amazon.com/Hott-Products...002ZRQQMM?th=1

Still, not gonna bother Mr. Trump might be funny if the press reports thousands upon thousands of bags of gummy penises.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:28 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

It's just a protest. The more vocal the anti-Trump crowd is, the more likely the 2018 election has of shifting Congress. Make yourself known, make yourself heard.

Everyday the news is saturated with Trump's antics and the endless debate about his Tweets, Spicer's hour long commercial and now GOP press conferences berating the ACA and pretending they have a better option.

Flood the White House with enough postcards all at once and at least we'll get 15 minutes of fame.

There's nothing here that promotes anything violent.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 12:32 PM   #32
Distracted1
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's just a protest. The more vocal the anti-Trump crowd is, the more likely the 2018 election has of shifting Congress. Make yourself known, make yourself heard.

Everyday the news is saturated with Trump's antics and the endless debate about his Tweets, Spicer's hour long commercial and now GOP press conferences berating the ACA and pretending they have a better option.

Flood the White House with enough postcards all at once and at least we'll get 15 minutes of fame.

There's nothing here that promotes anything violent.
Maybe we can incite a press conference wherein Spicer can explain Trumps' tweets about getting "The fewest negative postcards of any President ever!"
Old 9th March 2017, 12:33 PM   #33
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
"Et tu, Bannon?"
Too slow, tubba.
Old 9th March 2017, 01:07 PM   #34
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think this is unduly elevating Trump by linking him to a great historic leader.
The Gauls would disagree about "the great historic leader" part.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 01:09 PM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Huh. I now have in my head an image of Trump being surrounded by senators wielding knives.

Et tu, Bannon?

The most accurate version of that I have seen was in the Miniseries "Rome".
Ciaren Hands was a great Julius Caesar.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 01:10 PM   #36
Argumemnon
World Maker

I really should check out that miniseries.
Old 9th March 2017, 01:50 PM   #37
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I really should check out that miniseries.
Siskellus and Eberti gave it two thumbs up.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 02:59 PM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Siskellus and Eberti gave it two thumbs up.
ANy miniseries with an episode called "How Titus Pullo Caused The Downfall Of The Roman Republic" is worthwhile.
BTW I love the obscene Latin Graffiti they show.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th March 2017, 03:48 PM   #39
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This won't work. He'll call it fan mail, find a few positive notes and say the rest were from professional protestors. A better plan would to be mail him tinfoil lots and lots of tinfoil hats. Righteous indignation won't do; it's ridicule that damages him.

And won't it be fun when all that mail goes through their scanner.

Last edited by quadraginta; 9th March 2017 at 03:55 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 03:55 PM   #40
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
Probably they are hoping it doesn't happen, post card and first class rates are so strictly limited by Congress that they usually only break even and sometimes loose money on those items depending on where they pick them up.

To help the USPO we'd need to send parcels where they make a good profit. They are so good at it that all the other major carriers (FEDEX, UPS & DHL) now use them for some portion of their deliveries to save cost.

There ya go.

Millions of packages full of aluminum foil getting sent to the White House all at once.

That'll really keep the security people on their toes.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics