ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th March 2017, 07:39 AM   #41
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I am all for Bill Gate's idea on taxing the work performed by robots like we tax the work performed by employees.
We don't tax labor directly though, we tax wages. We tax profits and so on.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 09:33 AM   #42
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
We don't tax labor directly though, we tax wages. We tax profits and so on.
I took that as qayak's point.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 01:41 PM   #43
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

When I first came across this story, I thought... It sounds half baked, but it's Bill Gates, so probably there's more to it and it just got garbled in the news cycle.

But then I read the interview, and I think my first impression is correct: Gates' proposal is incoherent.

And how did this idea get into his head? This is the guy who spearheaded a technological revolution that displaced tens of millions of clerical roles. Draftsmen, accountants, typing pools, mailroom staff... why this 11th hour interest in factory labourers?
Old 17th March 2017, 05:00 PM   #44
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
When I first came across this story, I thought... It sounds half baked, but it's Bill Gates, so probably there's more to it and it just got garbled in the news cycle.

But then I read the interview, and I think my first impression is correct: Gates' proposal is incoherent.

And how did this idea get into his head? This is the guy who spearheaded a technological revolution that displaced tens of millions of clerical roles. Draftsmen, accountants, typing pools, mailroom staff... why this 11th hour interest in factory labourers?

Guilt
Old 20th March 2017, 09:19 AM   #45
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Guilt
I'd have thought that, too, except he's not really talking about computers. He seems to remain blinded to those job displacements and be focusing exclusively on factory automation.

As we speak, Microsoft has a self-driving car project. Obviously, this will displace millions of Americans who make their living driving... no mention of this in his 'we should tax it' proposal.
Old 20th March 2017, 01:08 PM   #46
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

I'd have thought that, too, except he's not really talking about computers. He seems to remain blinded to those job displacements and be focusing exclusively on factory automation.

As we speak, Microsoft has a self-driving car project. Obviously, this will displace millions of Americans who make their living driving... no mention of this in his 'we should tax it' proposal.
Do you really think he hasn't realized that his robots will be included in any tax on robots?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:22 PM   #47
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Do you really think he hasn't realized that his robots will be included in any tax on robots?
The issue is if he considers his software that eliminated bureaucratic jobs to be robots or not.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:21 PM   #48
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure what you mean, sorry.

I suspect he does not anticipate any Microsoft products to be taxed as 'robots' if that's your question. I think he considers 'robots' to be limited to physical machines, and to not include software. Microsoft is not planning to build any self-driving cars. They are only planning to license the software.
Old 20th March 2017, 04:42 PM   #49
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure what you mean, sorry.

I suspect he does not anticipate any Microsoft products to be taxed as 'robots' if that's your question. I think he considers 'robots' to be limited to physical machines, and to not include software. Microsoft is not planning to build any self-driving cars. They are only planning to license the software.
Why would you assume that? Gates seems to be one of the handful of billionaires with a social conscience.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:22 AM   #50
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Why would you assume that? Gates seems to be one of the handful of billionaires with a social conscience.
I'm not 'assuming' per se, so much as reading what he said and making a reasonable interpretation. Here's the general description from his interview:
Quote:
...if you can take the labor that used to do the thing automation replaces, and financially and training-wise and fulfillment-wise have that person go off and do these other things, then you’re net ahead. But you can’t just give up that income tax, because that’s part of how you’ve been funding that level of human workers.
Keyword there being 'labour' - he's not talking about white collar job displacements at all in this interview. Here's the transcript: [QZ.com]

Many billionaires are trying to make the world a better place, whether it be Bill Gates or Betsy DeVos. It doesn't mean they're internally consistent about it, or for that matter, that they know what they're doing.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:50 PM   #51
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not 'assuming' per se, so much as reading what he said and making a reasonable interpretation. Here's the general description from his interview:

Keyword there being 'labour' - he's not talking about white collar job displacements at all in this interview. Here's the transcript: [QZ.com]

Many billionaires are trying to make the world a better place, whether it be Bill Gates or Betsy DeVos. It doesn't mean they're internally consistent about it, or for that matter, that they know what they're doing.
I think you do not understand the words "labour" and "automation."
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:41 AM   #52
Jules Galen
Banned

"Robot Tax"? Would that be IRS Form 1040R?

Does a Robot have dependents?
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:06 AM   #53
Roboramma
Philosopher

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
If you tax robots in the same way as you tax humans, you'll be expected to give them rights appropriate to their kind sooner rather than later.
I don't see how that follows. What would stop us from taxing robots and not giving them rights?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:29 AM   #54
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I don't see how that follows. What would stop us from taxing robots and not giving them rights?
What stopped the British from taxing American colonists and not giving them rights afforded to people living in Britain, namely representation in the Parliament?

McHrozni
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:31 AM   #55
Roboramma
Philosopher

What stopped the British from taxing American colonists and not giving them rights afforded to people living in Britain, namely representation in the Parliament?

McHrozni
The actions of the americans themselves, not the natural enaction of some fundamental principle.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:38 AM   #56
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

McHrozni
what stopped the Americans from paying African slaves a full wage?
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:44 AM   #57
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
The actions of the americans themselves, not the natural enaction of some fundamental principle.
And so would it be with robots, eventually.

McHrozni
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:45 AM   #58
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
what stopped the Americans from paying African slaves a full wage?
Actions of Americans themselves.

This plus the colonists establish two solid ways which could open a huge can of worms. This doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, but it does mean we should make ample preparations for it to stop it from stinking up the planet.

McHrozni
Old 23rd March 2017, 04:14 AM   #59
Roboramma
Philosopher

And so would it be with robots, eventually.

McHrozni
So you think that if we tax robots they will revolt and demand that we recognise their rights like those of humans but if we don't tax them they will be happy to go on working for us without pay, with working conditions that are dependent only upon what is economically feasible and has nothing to do with the desires of the robots, etc. etc.?

I don't think robots will ever be like humans in the sense of demanding rights.

I don't think that even if they were that taxation would be the issue that would cause them to go about making those demands.
Isaac Asimov
Old 23rd March 2017, 05:29 AM   #60
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Plenty of societies in history have prospered using slave labor.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:03 AM   #61
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I think you do not understand the words "labour" and "automation."
I understand what they mean, the question is what does Bill Gates mean by them in the interview.

It's not clear so i'm using my judgement to interpret. I figure if he meant all automation, including software, he would have said that, instead of 'Robots'. I don't think he's proposing taxing software or PCs &c. I think that discussion would have taken over the interview, and it would be a bigger news story: "Bill Gates proposes to tax everything Microsoft sells."

However, if you really want to be sure, there's nothing stopping you from send him an email and ask him to clarify.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events