ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th March 2017, 05:47 PM   #1
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Roger Stone talked to Guccifer?

Crap.
Bad link. Just Google it please.

I hate to just drop a link and run, but I just heard about this.

Shouldn't this be the smoking gun? Why isn't this being talked about?

It's also in business insider. Not exactly a liberal rag.

But I gotta go.
Why isn't this a thing?

Last edited by NoahFence; 11th March 2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Bad link
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Haven't read the story yet, but here's...

The Google Search

... and the Business Insider page...

http://www.businessinsider.com/roger...c-party-2017-3

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Stacko
Philosopher

NYT link.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/1....co/mKLinE7gpn
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 06:08 PM   #4
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Well TV time hasn't started yet, so... thoughts?

It seems inevitable that literally nobody will have doubted Trump and Russia colluded. The question then becomes "do enough people care"?

That's when we'll know who we really are.
Old 11th March 2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Well TV time hasn't started yet, so... thoughts?

It seems inevitable that literally nobody will have doubted Trump and Russia colluded. The question then becomes "do enough people care"?

That's when we'll know who we really are.
I think we already know the answer to that. No, not enough people will care. Too many GOP value party over country, and will leap to defend any sin Trump might commit so long as he signs whatever they pass under his nose, and too many Democrats value civility over ideology, and will go along with things for now and hope they can fix the damage later.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 10:37 PM   #6
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I really can't believe this hasn't illicited a bigger reaction.
Old 11th March 2017, 10:40 PM   #7
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

There seems to be some questions as to if Guccifer was even involved in the hacks or just claiming something others did, and without evidence of what was said, it's hard to be excited.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Mumbles
Illuminator

Now *this* is interesting.

We'll see where it leads...
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 09:20 AM   #9
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Elicited. And why should it? If you can't articulate a conspiracy theory, why should anybody else be able to do so?
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Stacko
Philosopher

John McCain calls for the rat****er to testify in front of the senate.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 10:13 AM   #11
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Well, he also claimed to have access to Assange, but denied knowing anything about the Podesta email leak, despite having crowed that it would soon be Podesta's turn in the spotlight.

Roger Stone claims he has 'perfectly legal back channel' to Julian Assange
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 01:38 PM   #12
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Elicited. And why should it? If you can't articulate a conspiracy theory, why should anybody else be able to do so?
I was in the middle of TV time and saw it on my phone.
Care to talk about the content, or are you just happy nit-picking?
Old 12th March 2017, 02:41 PM   #13
sunmaster14
Philosopher

I was in the middle of TV time and saw it on my phone.
Care to talk about the content, or are you just happy nit-picking?
It's a nothingburger. Roger Stone praised Guccifer 2.0 in a blog post, and somebody with a twitter account which purported to be Guccifer 2.0's followed him and had a few tweets back and forth. All of this happening long after the hacks of the DNC. Is that even dry ice "smoke" let alone real smoke? And was Roger Stone even associated with the campaign at the time? What are you even alleging?

The definitive mark of a conspiracy theory (in the pejorative sense of the term) is that its proponents can't even explain what the conspiracy is supposed to have been and how the conspirators are supposed to have carried it out. Do you just throw crap up here on the message board and hope somebody else comes up with some ideas for you? Perhaps this thread is better suited for Forum Community.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 03:06 PM   #14
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Quote:
While tweeting his support of the president’s unsubstantiated claims that Barack Obama tried to undermine the Trump campaign, Stone directed a series of angry and abusive messages at a scientist who questioned him... "Would enjoy crush u in court and forcing you to eat **** – you stupid ignorant ugly bitch!"
Classy!
Old 12th March 2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Well the contact was "via Twitter", they didn't meet in person.

I did read the other day though that Trump's good buddy Nigel Farage recently met with Assange at the Equadorian embassy in London. Make of that what you will. Farage could be the "back channel".
Old 12th March 2017, 04:47 PM   #16
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Well the contact was "via Twitter", they didn't meet in person.

I did read the other day though that Trump's good buddy Nigel Farage recently met with Assange at the Equadorian embassy in London. Make of that what you will. Farage could be the "back channel".

You don't know that... Nigel said he couldn't recall what he was doing at the embassy.

Perhaps he just needed a quick bathroom stop.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 12th March 2017 at 04:51 PM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 06:21 PM   #17
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

It's a nothingburger. Roger Stone praised Guccifer 2.0 in a blog post, and somebody with a twitter account which purported to be Guccifer 2.0's followed him and had a few tweets back and forth. All of this happening long after the hacks of the DNC. Is that even dry ice "smoke" let alone real smoke? And was Roger Stone even associated with the campaign at the time? What are you even alleging?

The definitive mark of a conspiracy theory (in the pejorative sense of the term) is that its proponents can't even explain what the conspiracy is supposed to have been and how the conspirators are supposed to have carried it out. Do you just throw crap up here on the message board and hope somebody else comes up with some ideas for you? Perhaps this thread is better suited for Forum Community.
You're saying I'm getting duped by a conspiracy theory, that Business Insider is helping put forth?

You're saying that organization is on par with AE911.

Business insider.

Last edited by NoahFence; 12th March 2017 at 07:51 PM.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 06:27 PM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
You don't know that... Nigel said he couldn't recall what he was doing at the embassy.

Perhaps he just needed a quick bathroom stop.
True, he wouldn't confirm who he met with at the embassy or what reason he had to go there. But it's kind of hard to think of a reason that doesn't involve meeting with Assange for some reason. He's the only one who can't leave the embassy. If it were to meet with Ecuadorian diplomats, they could meet somewhere else.
Old 15th March 2017, 06:11 AM   #19
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

You're saying I'm getting duped by a conspiracy theory, that Business Insider is helping put forth?

You're saying that organization is on par with AE911.

Business insider.
I'm still waiting on clarification on this. Should I view Business Insider as a source of information on par with AE 911?
Old 15th March 2017, 06:12 AM   #20
Stacko
Philosopher

I'm still waiting on clarification on this. Should I view Business Insider as a source of information on par with AE 911?
Give it a fortnight.
Old 15th March 2017, 06:30 AM   #21
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Old 15th March 2017, 11:32 AM   #22
Stacko
Philosopher

Stone thinks conversations may have been caught.

Quote:
Longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone says he believes his contacts with a Russian-linked hacker who took credit for breaching the Democratic National Committee may have been obtained through a FISA warrant, which allows the government to collect the communications of individuals suspected of being agents of a foreign power.

Stone is among a handful of President Donald Trump's associates who are under scrutiny for possible links to Russia during the presidential race. In a statement to The Associated Press, Stone said he's retained two attorneys to explore whether he can compel the government to "either charge me or admit they have no case whatsoever."

The Republican operative has acknowledged having a Twitter exchange with Guccifer 2.0, a hacker that U.S. officials believe has ties to Russia. Stone said he was "unaware at the time of the brief exchange of allegations that the hacker in question is suspected of being a Russian asset."
Old 18th March 2017, 10:12 AM   #23
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

The definitive mark of a conspiracy theory (in the pejorative sense of the term) is that its proponents can't even explain what the conspiracy is supposed to have been and how the conspirators are supposed to have carried it out.
Seems pretty clear to me:

Conspiracy purpose: subvert and corrupt the US presidential election with the objective of placing the Trump/Pence regime in office.

Parties involved:
Trump campaign and Russian government officials and agents.

Means of communication: personal communications either face-to-face or electronic.

Means of execution:
Russian agents will attack Democratic databases and US state voter registration rolls, produce and disseminate negative information on Democratic candidates (esp Clinton) up to and possibly including the production and dissemination of fake documentation.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:00 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Thing about Stone he is such a media whore (his main interest is in selling his books) it's hard to decide if he is telling the truth or just inflating his role to make himself look more important.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:48 PM   #25
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Thing about Stone he is such a media whore (his main interest is in selling his books) it's hard to decide if he is telling the truth or just inflating his role to make himself look more important.
Another story being, of course, that this is the sort of person Mr President Trump habitually associates with.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:50 PM   #26
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Seems pretty clear to me:

Conspiracy purpose: subvert and corrupt the US presidential election with the objective of placing the Trump/Pence regime in office.

Parties involved:
Trump campaign and Russian government officials and agents.

Means of communication: personal communications either face-to-face or electronic.

Means of execution:
Russian agents will attack Democratic databases and US state voter registration rolls, produce and disseminate negative information on Democratic candidates (esp Clinton) up to and possibly including the production and dissemination of fake documentation.
I'll go with that.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics