ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th March 2017, 05:31 PM   #41
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

One I haven't seen mentioned is Chariots of Fire. Give a pretty good vibe for post-WWI England, the classes and their interactions, college and rural life, etc. Can't claim it is perfect, but it does seem to ring true (albeit I haven't watched it in a number of years...)
Old 18th March 2017, 05:33 PM   #42
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old 18th March 2017, 05:55 PM   #43
Beady
Philosopher

Young Winston

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 04:56 AM   #44
Wudang
BOFH

Kes.
I, Daniel Blake.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:07 AM   #45
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Pretty much any Ken Loach movie.
Old 19th March 2017, 06:43 AM   #46
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The first Wicker Man movie - travel to the Isle of Wight and you'll see it is pretty much a documentary.
On the Isle of Man, they think it's science fiction.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 10:26 AM   #47
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
On the Isle of Man, they think it's science fiction.
Fire?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 11:27 AM   #48
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Point of order Mr Chairman.....

If it's about British history, it's more than likely a film, rather than a movie.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 02:35 PM   #49
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Point of order Mr Chairman.....

If it's about British history, it's more than likely a film, rather than a movie.
Johnny Vaughn used to host a TV programme called Moviewatch. The word has been in common usage in Britain for a considerable amount of time now.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 07:20 PM   #50
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I liked Zulu originally, but then I found out about the real events it's based on. The tactical and strategic situation was on target, but the characters were completely scrambled & rearranged (maybe even imaginary in Dutchy's case and or the Boer's case?), and the depicted nature of the Zulu withdrawal was just a flat-out lie.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 06:51 AM   #51
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I liked Zulu originally, but then I found out about the real events it's based on. The tactical and strategic situation was on target, but the characters were completely scrambled & rearranged (maybe even imaginary in Dutchy's case and or the Boer's case?), and the depicted nature of the Zulu withdrawal was just a flat-out lie.
Wait until you see U571!
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:14 PM   #52
Bouncing Bettys
Scholar

This Is England is a little gem of a movie about a young boy who loses his father in the Falklands War and is drawn into Punk/Skinhead/White Nationalist culture.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 20th March 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:36 PM   #53
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

No list of best movies is complete without Shawshank Redemption.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 03:12 PM   #54
Bouncing Bettys
Scholar

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
No list of best movies is complete without Shawshank Redemption.
It has been a while since I watched this, but I don't recall any element of it being British. Maybe they have their own version of it called Strangeways Redemption? (The only British prison I could think of, from the 1990 riot/protest)
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:22 PM   #55
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

There are some pretty good WWII POW movies: Bridge on the River Kwai, the Great Escape. Somebody mentioned Escape from Colditz; if that's the one where they hid a digger inside a vaulting horse, I also recommend it.

Another good WWII film is The Dam Busters, about the development of the bouncing bomb used to destroy German dams.

Beckett is one of the all-time great costume dramas, with Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton as Henry II and the title character. The movie takes some liberties with history, but it's still great entertainment.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 04:50 PM   #56
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Somebody mentioned Escape from Colditz; if that's the one where they hid a digger inside a vaulting horse, I also recommend it.
I suspect you might be conflating The Colditz Story and The Wooden Horse, the latter of which featuring the vaulting horse in the prison yard. Both of them are good films, in any case.
Old 20th March 2017, 06:48 PM   #57
angrysoba
Philosophile

Thanks for all the replies so far, by the way.

I will have to sift through and probably watch a few that I haven't already.

I appreciate the help.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 08:05 PM   #58
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Elizabeth (Gwyneth Paltrow)
Excellent and somehow underrated IMO.

Quote:
The King's Speech
Hideously overrated IMO.

I would add the Netflix series "The Last Kingdom."
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 01:44 AM   #59
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
I suspect you might be conflating The Colditz Story and The Wooden Horse, the latter of which featuring the vaulting horse in the prison yard. Both of them are good films, in any case.
Ooh, that reminds me.
Ripping Yarns (OK, not a movie, a TV series).
Specifically "Escape from Stalag Luft 112B" (I had to look up the title), since you;re talking about escape films.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 02:58 AM   #60
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Ooh, that reminds me.
Ripping Yarns (OK, not a movie, a TV series).
Specifically "Escape from Stalag Luft 112B" (I had to look up the title), since you;re talking about escape films.
All the Ripping Yarns were repeated on BBC4 a few years ago and are sitting on one of my PVRs. I must have watched some of them dozens of times, especially Escape from Stalag Luft 112B
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 04:47 AM   #61
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

TV again: In another current thread, Downton was mentioned. But if you want a better look at the class system, then its ancestor from the 70s, Upstairs, Downstairs is possibly the more accurate, less anachronistic of the two, even if it doesn't cover some topics which are standard fare in today's dramas.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:47 AM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
What are the best movies on British history?

These are movies that I may be able to recommend to university students taking a course on British culture as an elective subject.

I understand that movies such as Braveheart and maybe The Patriot are very inaccurate, but I am looking for movies of two particular kinds:

Those about British history in general (including the British Empire), and perhaps biopics of the kings and queens.

Here are a few possibilities:

Elizabeth (Gwyneth Paltrow)
Madness of King George
The King's Speech

Also,
The Man Who Would be King (fiction, yes, but enjoyable)
Wind That Shakes the Barley (for Ireland)

Do you recommend any others, or would you warn off any of my choices so far?
Wind That Shakes The Barley really distorts what happened,and it's "Pro Treaty BAD Anti Treary GOOD" bias is silly.
"Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson as Collins is a better balanced film.
And I think you meant Cate Blanchett instead of Geyneth Paltrow for Elizabeth.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 10:49 AM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
There are some pretty good WWII POW movies: Bridge on the River Kwai, the Great Escape. Somebody mentioned Escape from Colditz; if that's the one where they hid a digger inside a vaulting horse, I also recommend it.

Another good WWII film is The Dam Busters, about the development of the bouncing bomb used to destroy German dams.

Beckett is one of the all-time great costume dramas, with Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton as Henry II and the title character. The movie takes some liberties with history, but it's still great entertainment.
Agree about Becket;The Lion In Winter (in which Peter O Toole repeats his role as Henry the Second) is better known,but Becket is a good film.

BTW Peter Jackson is producing a new film about the "Dam Buster" squadron.

"Battle of Britian" is another good film about Britian in World War 2.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 12:53 PM   #64
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I remember seeing some interview with a historian, and according to him, of all the "King Arthur" movies, Holy Grail may actually be the most realistic. Why? Because it showed people's living standards more accurately... problems with disease, the divide between rich and poor, etc.
"'Ow do you know he's a king?"
"He hasn't got **** all over him."
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:35 AM   #65
wobs
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
All the Ripping Yarns were repeated on BBC4 a few years ago and are sitting on one of my PVRs. I must have watched some of them dozens of times, especially Escape from Stalag Luft 112B
I have a Barnstoneworth Utd top. Mcintyre, number 10.
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:08 AM   #66
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I don't think he was saying it was particularly accurate... I think he was just saying it was more accurate than (for example) Excalibur. Yes, Holy Grail had the killer bunny and other types of nonsense, but Excalibur had its own share of the supernatural, and (if I remember correctly) didn't bother showing the plight of the lower classes at all.
That's because it was entirely made up and I brought it up as a joke.

The "plight of the lower classes" shown in Python wasn't accurate either, was my point.
Old 24th March 2017, 06:00 PM   #67
varwoche
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Most of the following take liberties with accuracy.
Lawrence of Arabia
Breaker Morant
The Madness of King George
A Man for All Seasons
The Lion in Winter
Yeah too bad about that because it was an outstanding movie.
Old 25th March 2017, 12:19 AM   #68
Bouncing Bettys
Scholar

Does The Last of the Mohicans count? I enjoy getting a glimpse of what Colonial Britain might have been like, the relation with the natives, frontiersmen, siege warfare, etc.
Old 25th March 2017, 01:48 AM   #69
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Does The Last of the Mohicans count? I enjoy getting a glimpse of what Colonial Britain might have been like, the relation with the natives, frontiersmen, siege warfare, etc.

Cooper's book provided a heavily idealized version of the times, and I think that most of the many film renditions carried on in that tradition.

I wish there had been more movies made from Kenneth Roberts historical novels of that era. (Northwest Passage is the only one I know about.

Roberts was a diligent, even obsessive researcher and put things in a noticeably less idealized and more faithful to reality light.

For an entirely different take on (among other things) the career of Benedict Arnold from what the standard history texts provide I recommend reading Arundel and Rabble In Arms. It will leave your perception of the man and his "treason" entirely different.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts