IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gmail , google

Old 13th January 2021, 07:47 PM   #1
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Password lost for Google

A friend of mine has lost access to Google. The friend needs it for their Gmail account. I tried to do a password reset, but that did not work. All it did was ask for any password, then for an email address. A code was sent and given to Google, however, Google refused to do anything more. The good news is that they still have access to Gmail on their iPad. They do not have it on their desktop.

Pity they never went here https://myaccount.google.com/security and did the "Ways we can verify it's you steps". Hint: If you have a gmail account do these steps.

Anyone got any ideas on what my friend can do? Or where would be a better place to ask?

Asking for a friend.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:50 PM   #2
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Is it possible to change the password for the account using the iPad, and then logging in from the other device using that new password?

Seems as if that would be a zero-cost possibility, where cost doesn't mean a financial one.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:04 PM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Thanks for the idea xterra.

I have just worked out one option. Not sure if it would work on my friend's iPad.
On your iPad,
1. Go to Settings
2. Scroll down on the left to the option Passwords
3. Select Passwords.
4. It may ask for your iPad password or fingerprint. Give it to the iPad
5. On the right, it would have all the passwords the iPad knows in the clear. One of them will be for your Gmail account.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:29 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

There's a guy out there now who has two remaining chances to access a $215 million Bitcoin account -- will pay a percentage for help. I think I'll concentrate my efforts there.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:29 PM   #5
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Problem solved. My friend has found the password. And the email that gives my friend $100 million dollars. They just need to send in their bank account details with $100 processing fee.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:54 PM   #6
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
What was the password?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:14 AM   #7
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Problem solved. My friend has found the password. And the email that gives my friend $100 million dollars. They just need to send in their bank account details with $100 processing fee.
Hi, my name is James Veitch.
I would be happy to assist you in this endeavor.
Please reply soonest.
Love and kisses, James.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:10 AM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
What was the password?
The password was *******.
Old 14th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #9
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
There's a guy out there now who has two remaining chances to access a $215 million Bitcoin account -- will pay a percentage for help. I think I'll concentrate my efforts there.
I am trying to forget that story so that I can sleep at night.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 07:08 PM   #10
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

I'm just going to assume the dude is already wealthy, so I can sleep at night.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 05:52 AM   #11
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-james-howells

Originally Posted by Guardian
A computer engineer who claims he accidentally threw away a hard drive containing a virtual currency worth tens of millions of poundshas promised to give a local council a quarter of the fortune if they help him dig it out of a rubbish tip.
Old 15th January 2021, 07:22 AM   #12
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Problem solved. My friend has found the password. [snip]

Did he find it by remembering it, or did he have it recorded somewhere (on paper or digitally)?

With regard to your proposed method of using stored password on the iPad, that's fine if you store passwords in that manner.

I use an encrypted password manager (KeePass), and never store passwords in browsers or similar application software. This has been discussed here previously several times.
Old 15th January 2021, 02:39 PM   #13
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Did he find it by remembering it, or did he have it recorded somewhere (on paper or digitally)?

With regard to your proposed method of using stored password on the iPad, that's fine if you store passwords in that manner.

I use an encrypted password manager (KeePass), and never store passwords in browsers or similar application software. This has been discussed here previously several times.
They had it recorded in a book. They had not looked at that book. A google password is something that does not need to be remembered for years. Until something goes wrong...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet